The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

[Bugged Item Set] Scathing Mage

Nifty2g
Nifty2g
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
@ZOS_GinaBruno @Wrobel

jerkin_of_the_scathing_mage.jpg

This was a widely anticipated set for the longest time in the game, currently it is bugged and has been overlooked for far too long. The tooltip is not acting correctly, this does not proc from Damage over Time effects nor does it proc from Channeled Abilities it only procs from the initial hit, this is not stated at all in the tooltip and I believe it is not meant to work like this, it also seems that this has an internal cooldown placed on it stopping multiple proc chances.

Honestly this is one of the strongest sets within the game and was farmed for months only to lead to disappointment I think ZOS you should adjust this set and fix it up, why make an incredibly strong set like this but leave it with a <40% proc chance.

There is also inconsistencies comparing Scathing Mage to Spell Power Cure

spell_power_cure_jerkin.jpg

Since the latest update Spell Power Cure was buffed to have a 10 second lasting effect but Scathing Mage was left at 6 seconds and no changes were made. Spell Power Cure also does not have an ICD and it shouldn't have one.

Can we please get this set looked at and changed accordingly for Thieves Guild update? If the Tooltip was incorrect and it only procs from the initial hit can we adjust the proc rate to 30-40% to bring it up to other sets to make it compare. It's incredibly useless to run this set which is seemingly great but very bad.
The Scathing mage set is one of the hardest sets to collect in the game. And as of the endgame content such sets are very appreciated. But with the current state how the set is bugged, julianos proves to be way better set than Scathing mage. On the other hand, I don’t see any point why briarheart should proc on DoTs while scathing can’t:

Back when IC patch was available on PTS, the scathing mage was the first Set I wanted to test for DPS, and I remember it working perfectly with DoTs. But after the patch hit live, and as farming the set was obviously a nightmare, people were only able to obtain the full set after couple of months. I can assure everyone, that the scathing mage set was one of the biggest disappointments of my life!

Now on PTS I tested the Set all over again, to find out after two patches the set is still bugged! To determine if the Set procs with the initial damage of abilities or the DoTs, I tested it with volley, because volley doesn’t have initial individual damage. In the screenshot you can see that the set procs from DoTs, but only the initial one!

1ZmIBCT.png

@ZOS please attend to this broken Set, as farming it isn’t easy, and magicka builds would appreciate having the set, especially after farming ICP for months to get it!

#MOREORBS
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, Spellcure from 100% proc and low duration changed to 50% proc and longer duration. But it was made only coz set proc caused explosion-like sound and visual animation with short duration transfromed into blinking; so set proc made you feel very uncomfortable and thus changed.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm actually grateful that one of the best, maybe even the absolute best set for magicka DPS, is creatable. But to be honest I agree with OP, it shouldn't be such a hands-down win for Julianos over Scathing Mage.

In a perfect world, the best in slot sets would require a Master Crafter and drops from the hardest dungeons/trials. This would give great value both to doing content and mastering the crafting professions.
  • Bfish22090
    Bfish22090
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They probably didn't want dot DKs to use it, sigh another nerf to dks
  • Xjcon
    Xjcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With ESO RNG and VICP being one of the most challenging dungeons it's sad to see that a set so hard to complete let alone perfect traits is outperformed by a 6 trait crafting set. Even TBS to a certain point is better.

Not sure why ZoS wants to put out content with a gear grind only to render said gear useless with a crafting set that takes no serious effort to attain.
    Briza Do'urdenx V16 Dunmer DK
    Jcon V16 Orc DK
    Vierna Do'urdenx V16 Bosmer NB
    Jarlaxle Baenrex V16 Dunmer NB
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tooltip for Scathing should be edited to reflect the behavior, but the behavior has been consistent since IC PTS. Anyone who tested it properly back in August and could approximate the proc uptime knew it was a waste of time to farm for it (especially with the initial drop rate), and that reality was exacerbated by the release of Julianos. I think the proc strength could be increased to 600; this would make it a moderate improvement over Julianos for high crit spell builds, without being so much stronger that those who don't farm vICP are at a large disadvantage.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is rather unfortunate that many caster builds even started incorporating SPC as a dps set when Scathing Mage should be a strong contender against Julianos and TBS. Despite SPC being viable, it is clearly intended for healers, and while there is absolutely nothing wrong with using SPC in a dps spec, on principle it is a bit sad that DPS builds turn to healer gear for optimization.
    Edited by Autolycus on February 18, 2016 9:51PM
  • Mumyo
    Mumyo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What in this damn game is actually working?
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we get a confirmation from anyone?
    @ZOS_Finn @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_RyanRuzich
    Please :wink:
    #MOREORBS
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP is right. The set sucks as is. Complete garbage. I tested it awhile back on my Dragon (Argonian DK) with @rokrdt05. It never once procd on him with burning embers, initial or otherwise.

I then went to test on Bruma mobs. I could go as many as 11 or 12 pulls with it n ver procn. When you look at it w/o a dot proc it's has to b less than like 3% chance. It's 10% chance on crit fffs. Rng rng.

Wrobel has way too much on his plate imo so much so that he's bad at all of it.
    Edited by TheBull on February 19, 2016 5:23AM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Non of the item set effects are supposed to proc on DOTs unless its specificly mentioned in the tooltip.

I do agree that this set has to be changed to make it more useful, its suposed to be rare end-game gear so it should be good
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Non of the item set effects are supposed to proc on DOTs unless its specificly mentioned in the tooltip.

That is not true. A lot of sets proc off of dots when it just states damage. Usually it will be the reverse if it Does Not Proc on Dots, like with the Nerien'eth set.

Sidenote:
    It is kind of ridiculous how annoying the ICP/WGT sets are to farm. I've been trying to get the Essence Thief and Shock Master for a while, but with a 30% chance per run to get 1 piece out of a possible 42 (all with 5 or 6 possible traits..), you usually get fked by RNGesus.
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »

That is not true. A lot of sets proc off of dots when it just states damage. Usually it will be the reverse if it Does Not Proc on Dots, like with the Nerien'eth set.

Sidenote:
    It is kind of ridiculous how annoying the ICP/WGT sets are to farm. I've been trying to get the Essence Thief and Shock Master for a while, but with a 30% chance per run to get 1 piece out of a possible 42 (all with 5 or 6 possible traits..), you usually get fked by RNGesus.

Sets that proc on all dmg you do usually have a cooldown to prevent the user from having the buff up 100% of the time.

There's no point in having a RNG effect if you can have it up 100% of the time.
    PC - EU (AD)
  • Xjcon
    Xjcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sidenote:

Sets that proc on all dmg you do usually have a cooldown to prevent the user from having the buff up 100% of the time.

Most people would be happy with a 70% uptime. Do you even have this set? Have you even cleared VICP? Trust me, most of us who want this set looked at understand 100% uptime is unreasonable, but what we see now for the amount of effort put forth is a joke.
    Jcon V16 Orc DK
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sidenote:

I don't think I ever said that. I just corrected you, that's all :3
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • cote-bmsb16_ESO
    cote-bmsb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Run vWGT and vPrison over 100 times.. For buggy sets.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xjcon wrote: »

Sidenote:

Most people would be happy with a 70% uptime. Do you even have this set? Have you even cleared VICP? Trust me, most of us who want this set looked at understand 100% uptime is unreasonable, but what we see now for the amount of effort put forth is a joke.

I actually cleared vICP on the first try, just after it launched but I dont have the set because its not worth the effort.

If you do the math you would need 60% up time to be better than Julianos. The problem for sorcs is that you dont crit often enough during the overload phase (where spell dmg matters most) because the attacks are relative slow.

With a 65% crit chance and a 10% proc chance on crits you would need to do an average of 15,4 attacks to proc the set. To break even you would need to proc it every 4 seconds, which means its only useful if you can put out more than 3,85 hits/sec on average.

This little calcuation saved me counless hours of pointless grinding.

PC - EU (AD)
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bumping to actually get this noticed and passed onto the team
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    #MOREORBS
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sidenote:

I actually cleared vICP on the first try, just after it launched but I dont have the set because its not worth the effort.

If you do the math you would need 60% up time to be better than Julianos. The problem for sorcs is that you dont crit often enough during the overload phase (where spell dmg matters most) because the attacks are relative slow.

With a 65% crit chance and a 10% proc chance on crits you would need to do an average of 15,4 attacks to proc the set. To break even you would need to proc it every 4 seconds, which means its only useful if you can put out more than 3,85 hits/sec on average.

And yes this is the same conclusion @Asayre had with myself, issue is the current uptime is around <40% on average.
    Which brings me to the question, why are we making crafted sets the most strongest in game. That should never be the case, honestly.

#MOREORBS
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nifty2g wrote: »

Sidenote:

This little calculation saved me countless hours of pointless grinding.
    And yes this is the same conclusion @Asayre had with myself, issue is the current uptime is around <40% on average.
    Which brings me to the question, why are we making crafted sets the most strongest in game. That should never be the case, honestly.

I agree, its stupid that BiS end game gear can be crafted by almost everyone.
    Its basically just a gold question if you want to upgrade it to legendary.

I do like it that I dont have to farm vICP because it takes way too long imo.
    Farming vWGT for the Molag Kena head wasnt something that I enjoyed either.
    PC - EU (AD)
  • Xjcon
    Xjcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nifty2g wrote: »

Sidenote:

I would be ok with crafted gear being BIS if it required something somewhat rare that could only be obtained from say trials.

Some response from a Dev as to this set would be great.
    Jcon V16 Orc DK
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be ok with crafted gear being BIS if it required something somewhat rare that could only be obtained from say trials.

Agree 100%.
  • SirCritical
    SirCritical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this case we need to have Briarheart set to get "buffed" so it wouldn't have a cooldown, and it would proc on any damage (incl. pet's damage and DoTs). Please ;)
  • Xjcon
    Xjcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump.
    Jcon V16 Orc DK
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scathing Mage set has such potential. I want to use it sooo badly, but it just falls behind Julianos.

Changing the set to have 100% uptime would be overpowered.

Making it so it procs on every damage which would give it consistent 50% uptime would fix it.

Letting it have 66% uptime (10 second proc, 5 second cooldown) would put it in line with the new, very powerful TG sets. It would also make it slightly better than Julianos. For the effort required to get this set, this would be balanced. LET'S MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Scathing Mage set has such potential. I want to use it sooo badly, but it just falls behind Julianos.

Making it so it procs on every damage which would give it consistent 50% uptime would fix it.

Letting it have 66% uptime (10 second proc, 5 second cooldown) would put it in line with the new, very powerful TG sets. It would also make it slightly better than Julianos. For the effort required to get this set, this would be balanced. LET'S MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!

Would also be inline with briarheart (10 seconds uptime, 5 seconds cooldown), but briarheart has a selfhealing mechanic so it's even more powerfull than scathing.
    Noobplar
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Destruent wrote: »

Would also be inline with briarheart (10 seconds uptime, 5 seconds cooldown), but briarheart has a selfhealing mechanic so it's even more powerfull than scathing.

Briarheart has jewelry and Scathing Mage has no jewelry so you have more options to incorporate Briarheart in your build.

I think the proc chance should be reduced but it should proc on crit DOTs, this might encourage players to run high spell crit builds instead of just max spell dmg.
    PC - EU (AD)
  • elium85
    elium85
    ✭✭✭
    @Nifty2g Can someone get on PTS and test the uptime with the new changes! Excited to see this set actually buffed!
  • BEZDNA
    BEZDNA
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nifty is on NA server, he probably can't do it, since it's EU chars copied on pts atm
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might actually be decent now, though i was hoping 30% but lets see
    #MOREORBS
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well done, nifty!
    PC EU