Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Reddit] Matt Firor claims "dramatic" PvP lag fix incoming

Teargrants
Teargrants
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
ZOS_MattF 25 points 3 days ago
This [reducing the lag in Cyrodiil] is our #1 PvP-focused dev effort right now. As an active (but really terrible) PvP player, I too run into this problem far too often. It's a complicated one with lots of different factors joining together to degrade performance - i.e. it's not easy, which explains why we haven't addressed it yet. We are working on a fix now involving our physics engine, and we're confident that we can dramatically improve performance, but that's the kind of thing that can introduce new problems if not done properly, so we are being very careful and not rushing it. You should hear a lot more about this after the dust settles from Osrinium launch.
Link for those who want it.

Good thing I decided to sift through random stuff on Reddit, or I'd never have seen this, I'm gona go out on a crazy limb and guess most ppl haven't seen this either. What with Reddit not being an official ESO forum and all...

Edit:
ZOS_MattF 15 points 3 days ago
64 Bit client is planned for the Q1 Update (i.e. the next big one). Mac users will see dramatic performance increase when we do this, as well as 64-but windows users. My main gaming machine is Windows, but I'm on the road enough with my Macbook Pro 13 retina that I definitely know what you are talking about.
Link

Edit 2:
Annnnd more.
ZOS_RichLambert 7 points 3 days ago
Improving the PvP experience is definitely a priority. Our focus currently is improving the server performance. We're also working on some new things to spend AP on as well as adding some new things to Cyrodiil.

Edit 3:
Why don't they just post this stuff on the forums?
ZOS_JaredCarr 7 points 3 days ago
We are currently optimizing our DX11 code, and working on other graphics optimizations that we hope to have wrapped up early 2016. Once that work is complete we will be looking more closely at DX12 support, but I can't make any promises at this stage.
Edited by Teargrants on November 23, 2015 7:03AM
POST EQVITEM SEDET ATRA CVRA
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
EP ※ Teargrants ※
EP ※ Kissgrants ※
DC ※ Kirsi ※
Vehemence Council
#JustOutOfRenderRange
~Teargrants YouTube~
┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
  • Xjcon
    Xjcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's odd is we have huge battles during the day time in Azuras Star, but at night when the AOE groups start their thing huge lag spikes occur.

How about doing away with AOE in cyrodiil. How much could that possibly hurt the game? Why complicate things?

I've just recently decided to focus on AvA so I'm may be off to the cause of those lag trains.
    Briza Do'urdenx V16 Dunmer DK
    Jcon V16 Orc DK
    Vierna Do'urdenx V16 Bosmer NB
    Jarlaxle Baenrex V16 Dunmer NB
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    TY OP for post/link.

Love the logic however, the forums only constitute a very small minority of the playerbase, most ingame do not have a clue of what is happening, and then they go and post something like this on Reddit where a arguably even smaller portion of playerbase are gonna go check.

*shakes of head*

But hope finally stuff actually starts happening now.

Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• FMonk
    FMonk
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll believe it when I see it.
  •  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What he said ^
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

IGN- @Juies || Youtube || Twitch
    EP - Julianos . Jules . Family Jules . Jules of Misrule. Joy
    DC - Julsie . Jules . Jukes . Jojuji . Juliet . Jaded
    AD - Juice . Jubaited . Joules . Julmanji . Julogy . Jubroni . Ju Jitsu

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. You're right, I never saw this. I don't know what a "reddit" is, but that information belongs on the official ESO forums. I didn't create an account just to read salty comments, I wanted to see updates from the staff at ZOS. Seems now I have to sign up to some BS third-party website. Wtf.
  • Huckdabuck
    Huckdabuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "i.e. it's not easy, which explains why we haven't addressed it yet."

So we were all correct to assume that they weren't even looking into it since he so clearly states that in the quote above.......they had not addressed it yet????? I mean almost a year and a half later and they are just now getting into trying to figure out that it wasn't the deer. Poor bambi was sacrificed for nothing! GG ZOS GG.
    Edited by Huckdabuck on November 23, 2015 6:28AM
    Texashighelf - VR16 Sorcerer EP NA - FILTHY BARBARIAN
    Texasimperial - VR16 Dragonknight EP NA - How do you like your DK?
    Texas'Imperial - VR16 Dragonknight DC NA - How do you like your DK?
    Texas-Imperial - VR16 Templar DC NA - Queue Clogging Lagsploitter
    Texas Highelf - VR16 Sorcerer DC NA - Queue Clogging Lagsploitter
    Texas Imperial - VR16 Nightblade DC NA - Queue Clogging Lagsploitter
    It's a very grey area.
  • Teargrants
    Teargrants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dug some more, also found this tidbit:
    ZOS_MattF 15 points 3 days ago
    64 Bit client is planned for the Q1 Update (i.e. the next big one). Mac users will see dramatic performance increase when we do this, as well as 64-but windows users. My main gaming machine is Windows, but I'm on the road enough with my Macbook Pro 13 retina that I definitely know what you are talking about.
    Link
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    EP ※ Teargrants ※
    EP ※ Kissgrants ※
    DC ※ Kirsi ※
    Vehemence Council
    #JustOutOfRenderRange
    ~Teargrants YouTube~
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it's too late, PvP is so dead.

Even the streamers are bouncing one by one.
    Edited by OdinForge on November 23, 2015 6:36AM
    The Age of Wrobel.
  • hammayolettuce
    hammayolettuce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With 64-bit client and core coding being fixed, lag should go away. It was and always will be a coding issue, not a hardware issue for ZOS.
    Edited by hammayolettuce on November 23, 2015 12:25PM
    Snü (Magicka DK) ♥ Thnu (Stamplar) ♥ Pizza for Breakfast (Magplar) ♥ Sparklefingers (Magicka Sorc) ♥
    Bean and Cheese Burrito (Magicka DK) ♥ Snurrito (Stamplar) ♥
    DARFAL COVANT
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    When the top guy in charge makes statments like this the people actually working on it look like :|
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Teargrants
    Teargrants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Annnnd more.
    ZOS_RichLambert 7 points 3 days ago
    Improving the PvP experience is definitely a priority. Our focus currently is improving the server performance. We're also working on some new things to spend AP on as well as adding some new things to Cyrodiil.
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    EP ※ Teargrants ※
    EP ※ Kissgrants ※
    DC ※ Kirsi ※
    Vehemence Council
    #JustOutOfRenderRange
    ~Teargrants YouTube~
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember reading he said it was something wrong with the physics engine that's causing lag, but they have to be careful with fixing it cause it can screw up other things
  • Teargrants
    Teargrants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why don't they just post this stuff on the forums?
    ZOS_JaredCarr 7 points 3 days ago
    We are currently optimizing our DX11 code, and working on other graphics optimizations that we hope to have wrapped up early 2016. Once that work is complete we will be looking more closely at DX12 support, but I can't make any promises at this stage.
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    EP ※ Teargrants ※
    EP ※ Kissgrants ※
    DC ※ Kirsi ※
    Vehemence Council
    #JustOutOfRenderRange
    ~Teargrants YouTube~
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Huckdabuck wrote: »

So we were all correct to assume that they weren't even looking into it since he so clearly states that in the quote above.......they had not addressed it yet????? I mean almost a year and a half later and they are just now getting into trying to figure out that it wasn't the deer. Poor bambi was sacrificed for nothing! GG ZOS GG.

That is not what he means. What he means is that they have been putting a huge effort into fixing it, but it requires a change to a major game subsystem (the physics engine). They have made that change, which likely took an enormous amount of time and effort. But you don't throw a change like that in willy-nilly. What if it fixes lag, but now people can walk through walls? Or it fixes lag but melee damage no longer registers? They cannot just fix lag. They have to fix lag without breaking everything else. And until they are sure it does not break everything else, it does not go in.
  • Teargrants
    Teargrants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    Huckdabuck wrote: »

That is not what he means. What he means is that they have been putting a huge effort into fixing it, but it requires a change to a major game subsystem (the physics engine). They have made that change, which likely took an enormous amount of time and effort. But you don't throw a change like that in willy-nilly. What if it fixes lag, but now people can walk through walls? Or it fixes lag but melee damage no longer registers? They cannot just fix lag. They have to fix lag without breaking everything else. And until they are sure it does not break everything else, it does not go in.
    I would take either of those over the lag we currently have. :lol:
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    EP ※ Teargrants ※
    EP ※ Kissgrants ※
    DC ※ Kirsi ※
    Vehemence Council
    #JustOutOfRenderRange
    ~Teargrants YouTube~
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interchangeable remarks about possible performance improvements.

Yeah, I'll know it when I experience it.
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Believe it when I see it tbh.
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But when is it coming... Soon ™

This isn't the first time they have said they have a big change coming to fix lag. I hope it works but as others have said I'll wait and see before getting my hopes up... again.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • PainfulFAFA
    PainfulFAFA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll believe it when they communicate it to their players ON OFFICIAL ESO FORUMS.
    PC NA
    Aztec | AZTEC | Ahztec | Aztehk | Master of Mnem
    MagDK | Magplar | Magward | Mageblade | Stamsorc

• Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good news, I hope its still in time though.

Cyrodiil needs more small scale objectives to keep players busy, it would be great if they would add those features (like capturing towns, bridges etc) at the same time, to give PVP a boost in the right direction.
    Edited by Septimus_Magna on November 23, 2015 8:20AM
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because adding flag to towns so you can capture them is obviously something that will not be done by groups of 40.

Just like IC was always full of people running in groups of 4.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lava_Croft wrote: »
    Because adding flag to towns so you can capture them is obviously something that will not be done by groups of 40.

Just like IC was always full of people running in groups of 4.

There will always be zergs but they cant be everywhere at the same time.
    Small scale objectives would be less interesting for zergs because of the limited number of enemy players there.

It would be nice if you could go to the towns to enjoy small fights because the zergs are taking/defending keeps.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Raizin
    Raizin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Teargrants wrote: »
    This [reducing the lag in Cyrodiil] is our #1 PvP-focused dev effort right now. As an active (but really terrible) PvP player, I too run into this problem far too often. It's a complicated one with lots of different factors joining together to degrade performance - i.e. it's not easy, which explains why we haven't addressed it yet. We are working on a fix now involving our physics engine, and we're confident that we can dramatically improve performance, but that's the kind of thing that can introduce new problems if not done properly, so we are being very careful and not rushing it. You should hear a lot more about this after the dust settles from Osrinium launch.

This [reducing the lag in Cyrodiil] is our #1 PvP-focused dev effort right now. ... uhm yea, only took two years... f*** u! Is all i have to say.

+ @FMonk @Huckdabuck
    Edited by Raizin on November 23, 2015 8:53AM
    HellSeesYou = v16/AD/Rank 37-Former emp/EU TB-AZura(Old Auriels Bow badass) ___ Vampire Templar/Resto/Destro staff user from Banana squad
    HellSeesAll - v16/EP/Rank 19 Magicka NB/Necrotic Lag member
    HellSeesUs - v16/AD/Rank 18 Stamina Templar
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    They will never be able to fix lag. :open_mouth:
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really waiting 64 bit client. Hope it will increase perfomance a little bit.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shame none of this information could be announced in an article on the games website, say a map of a road head or something...

I hate to be sarcastic regarding their work but I really don't want to troll through unofficial forums or wait for someone (a player none the less) to cross post that information so I am aware of it. Information about updates should be here first and foremost, otherwise why do we have these forums when we could all use Reddit?

I know this has been a debate for a long time now but recently it seems that a majority of the information about updates is hitting Reddit first and we are only seeing dev posts on the forums here in reply to the cross over posts. Considering there has been demand/screaming for a new road ahead which still hasn't happened this is kind of sad.

I know I post about it every chance I get but please consider doing something like this: http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/ so we can hear updates from each department about what they're working on and give informations and feedback earlier than it hitting PTS.

@ZOS_MattFiror @ZOS_RichLambert
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • VincentBlanquin
    VincentBlanquin
    ✭✭✭
    Raizin wrote: »
    Teargrants wrote: »

This [reducing the lag in Cyrodiil] is our #1 PvP-focused dev effort right now. ... uhm yea, only took two years... f*** u! Is all i have to say.

+ @FMonk @Huckdabuck

so there is no point develop another pvp content, how easy

Irwen Vincinter - Nord - Dragonknight
    Irw´en - Bosmer - Nightblade
  • riverdragon72
    riverdragon72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hm. I just took 5 attacks I never saw coming (again) other than my character stuttered a little bit before I fell over dead, wonder if that will get fixed too. lol
    Meh...**** it..
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I read this almost as soon as they posted it, but must admit I kinda shrugged. Feels like the cheating husband who again promises to never do it again.
    I will however be pleasantly surprised if they do implement stuffs to make my fps go above 10 in fights, and maybe even keep the ping below 150.
    Then I'll forgive everything.

To be fair though, they posted here that they would be doing some AUA on reddit with link and everything.
  • Sotha_Sil
    Sotha_Sil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's better to have some answers than nothing at all :D. See loading screens, took 3 months but they got it right... I really hope we will see an improvement, the PVP would be really better.
    Edited by Sotha_Sil on November 23, 2015 10:25AM
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! - Spells and incantations for those with the talent to cast them!
This discussion has been closed.