The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Random Oblivion Oubliette Concept

Gidorick
Gidorick
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Here is a pretty simple concept I'm surprised hasn't been put forth before, or at least not that my search found. :wink:

ZOS should scatter Tamriel with dungeons that have been wrenched from Mundus and provide players with randomized dungeons. By randomized, I mean random layouts, lengths, atmospheres, loot, mobs... everything random. ZOS would have to create a set of rules to guide the build of each dungeon, of course, but this sort of mechanic is hardly new or revolutionary.

These dungeons could be indicated by their glowing doors, floating rocks outside the entrances, or any number of weird environmental, visual, and auditory effects. These dungeons could be different by zone, completely random, or could even include an in-game mechanic that could let players wield the power of oblivion to decide and choose the variables within the dungeon.

2y2U3j8.jpg?1

These Oblivion Oubliettes could be single player delves or could be multiplayer dungeons if a player is grouped and their difficulty could be scaled depending on whether or not the player is in a group and the leader's level.

To turn this into a money making system (because ZOS does need to make money... and they have to make it from the Crown Store) ZOS could institute a cool-down for accessing Oblivion Oubliettes. Perhaps one free access per 24 hours. Then ZOS could sell "Oubliette Keys" in the Crown Store. A pack of 5 for 250 crowns.

If you don't like that access idea, feel free to offer an alternative profit generation concept for the Oblivion Oubliettes! The more ideas the better!

So, that's about it. Randomized dungeons... infinite replayability.
Edited by Gidorick on November 2, 2015 11:14PM
What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
That's right... Horse.
Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Randomised dungeons sound good :)
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Like it, add a costume or 3 and instant hit, random dungeons would be a hit without costumes anyways
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you mean by "adding costumes" @RAGUNAnoOne ? Like as a reward?
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Add seriously unique rewards that make the Oubliettes worth the buying,and it would be great. Just no magic necklaces that only gives you a few bits of enchantment,no magic swords that look like every other sword,no piece of armor that looks like every other piece of armor.etc.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add seriously unique rewards that make the Oubliettes worth the buying,and it would be great. Just no magic necklaces that only gives you a few bits of enchantment,no magic swords that look like every other sword,no piece of armor that looks like every other piece of armor.etc.

Oh nice. I like the idea... this could be a good way to get "Oblivion gear" into the game...
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »

Oh nice. I like the idea... this could be a good way to get "Oblivion gear" into the game...

I'd pay crowns for each Oubliette,if I knew the drops would be worth it. :}
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To keep it from being pay to win I think free access with a cooldown and purchasable keys would still be good.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah,I did mean getting unique outfits and other items as a reward something along the lines of (off the top of my head) A zombie skin, or a dragon priest style outfit or depending on the theme of the dungeon. possibly Vampire or Werewolf blood (and if they make lords...).
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • slumber_sandb16_ESO
    slumber_sandb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like it. A good addition for both content and a way to get extra revenue.
  • CJohnson81
    CJohnson81
    ✭✭✭✭
    You'd have to have premium rewards to justify paying for keys, but randomized dungeons would be a lot of fun!

Paying for keys seems like the right way to monetize, but I still think the premium loot should be somewhat hard to get.

Maybe paying for keys guarantees one valuable drop in 5 chances - but imagine getting a new skin after every single 24-hour cool off? That'd be great, but the amount of content needed for drops would be insane. I think the procedurally generated randomness would make it fun - the chance for a premium item makes it worth it.

Huor Melwasul - Archdemon, The Demons of Light - Warlock, Hufflepuff House - ADXB1 - NA
    I'm only updating this because we're commenting on a thread about signatures. Give me awesomes!
  • MrDerrikk
    MrDerrikk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I reckon the dungeons themselves should be free to access, but they have boss spawners similar to the ones in Craglorn for those warriors. Then you'd have to have a rare drop to summon them from the spawner which could be sold on the crown store. The former idea just sounds a bit too much like blocking content behind a pay wall, this way it'd just be a little side thing with enhanced loot drops of course.
    I have departed into the great unknown that is outside the game and the forums, and wish you well in your Tamriel adventures!

DC - PC - EU - Australian
    VR11 Mrderrikk: Breton Stam Sorc (Vamp) | VR16 Derrikkinblack: Dunmer Mage DK | VR3 Cuts-Until-It-Dies: Argonian Magicka NB

Oh look, Anook.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I thought nothing about the rare drops initially. To me, the carrot wouldn't be the drop, but the dungeon itself. Something new to play, however often I'd like!
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Peel_Ya_Cap_517
    Peel_Ya_Cap_517
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is an awesome idea! I think it would be a money-maker in itself, however, as it would keep people in the game or bring people back, some of whom would buy a subscription.
    N64 NA EP
  • CJohnson81
    CJohnson81
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I thought nothing about the rare drops initially. To me, the carrot wouldn't be the drop, but the dungeon itself. Something new to play, however often I'd like!

I like the idea better in this form. I agree that the extra content by itself would be good enough. Rare drops complicate things.
    Huor Melwasul - Archdemon, The Demons of Light - Warlock, Hufflepuff House - ADXB1 - NA
    I'm only updating this because we're commenting on a thread about signatures. Give me awesomes!
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an awesome idea! I think it would be a money-maker in itself, however, as it would keep people in the game or bring people back, some of whom would buy a subscription.

If ZOS were willing to add benefits to the subs Is think maybe pull the subscriber cool down to like... 8 hours.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• CJohnson81
    CJohnson81
    ✭✭✭✭

If ZOS were willing to add benefits to the subs Is think maybe pull the subscriber cool down to like... 8 hours.

Thinking further to that cool down. If the doors to the dungeons randomly appeared, maybe subs have a higher chance of running into one. I know that's not really what you were getting at, but I think it would be awesome to be running along when all of a sudden a dungeon door rips into the world. Maybe there are spawn locations, like the dolmens, but complete randomness could be more fun. Then the cool down would just be the fact that you haven't found one in a while.
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Brilliant idea,we could even have pvp/e dungeons with upcoming dueling system.Although Im guessing ZOS is currently busy fixing lag,class balance overhaul and finishing the next DLC.
    Edited by Ankael07 on January 7, 2016 7:00AM
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Random PvP dungeons too please!!!
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

To keep it from being pay to win I think free access with a cooldown and purchasable keys would still be good.

Make it like ten delves appear a day and 20 for eso plus
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Make it like ten delves appear a day and 20 for eso plus

TEN a day? I was thinking like 2. Maybe 5 :lol:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• petraeus1
    petraeus1
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a great idea. (Aside: Gidorick has a lot of good ideas I've seen!)

I somehow feel this idea could be altered a bit in the vein of Neverwinter. Neverwinter features player-made quests. ZOS could make a toolset for players to make their own delves. Players could list them and after a dev check they would be added to the list. This is kinda risky: people could design grind spots et cetera, but there could be limitations in the tool set or QA could test them before whitelisting player-made delves. There are a lot of games that do something like this, notably The Mighty Quest of Epic Loot, players come up with all kinds of great things. I only don't see ESO having the same asset list of traps and puzzle elements that make those player made dungeons so awesome.
  • shauny.gibbsb16_ESO
    I'd like the idea of having random (reset daily) portals to these dungeons, for those that love to explore.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always liked the random quests in TES:Daggerfall, an option that might work well paired with random dungeons...

I'd take it one step further and make it random daily mages guild quests - you know, "go through this magic portal into that oblivion space, do -insert random quest objective-, come back for reward" kind of dailies...
    Said random instances could be scaled to character level to make it viable for all takers from apprentice to master mage... and be of widely warying visuals, coldharbour yesterday, shivering isles today, deadlands thomorrow...
    Said random objectives could be some sort of object/NPC interaction... retrieving a special spellbook/ingredient, killing a boss or a certain number of mobs, breaking a sigil stone, farming a certain number of item drops, saving a mage trapped in that pocket plane, whatever.

As for the profit idea... why stop here, why not take it further and sell "keys" to reset ANY daily for a wee bit of crowns in the crown store?
    Want to do a dozend Wrothgar dwelve dailies all in one day? Buy the wrothgar daily keys.
    Want to do a dozend mages guild dailies all in one evening? Buy the mages daily keys.
    Want to do a dozend Thieves Guild dailies (I am just gonna assume that someday there will be some) in one big crime spree? Buy the thief daily keys...
    Or not and do them day by day. Each as they choose.

BtW, dailies... can we get a upgrade to the Cyrodil fighters guild "bounty" daily? Make it more challenging (like, say, for example, not just kill ten random gobbos, but also a goblin boss in some dwelve where you stand a much greater chance to happen upon an enemy grinding team... that sort of thing?), but also up the rewards?
    Like... say... wrothgar-style reward boxes that contain scaled "fighters guild - akavri style" gear and possibly even a small chance at a motiv page? You know, just to breathe some life into that one...

(...also, can we finally get the "pact-dominion-covenant" part removed from the akaviri style gear, since its the same in effect and appereance all across the various versions, and put them to the IC faction gear instead so we know which character shoudl wear what style without having to comsult a chart? Eh, different topic I guess...)
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd take it one step further and make it random daily mages guild quests - you know, "go through this magic portal into that oblivion space, do -insert random quest objective-, come back for reward" kind of dailies...
    Said random instances could be scaled to character level to make it viable for all takers from apprentice to master mage... and be of widely warying visuals, coldharbour yesterday, shivering isles today, deadlands thomorrow...
    Said random objectives could be some sort of object/NPC interaction... retrieving a special spellbook/ingredient, killing a boss or a certain number of mobs, breaking a sigil stone, farming a certain number of item drops, saving a mage trapped in that pocket plane, whatever.
    Ooh, nice idea, that would work well alongside my suggestions for Guild dailies.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Ooh, nice idea, that would work well alongside my suggestions for Guild dailies.

And my Guild Viability concept! Which is pretty much the same thing as guild dailies... :lol:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/182288/continued-viability-of-fighters-mages-guild-concept-and-discussion

Im glad we're all on the same page here!
    Edited by Gidorick on January 7, 2016 11:34AM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »

And my Guild Viability concept! Which is pretty much the same thing as guild dailies... :lol:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/182288/continued-viability-of-fighters-mages-guild-concept-and-discussion

Im glad we're all on the same page here!
    Oh yeah! If I remember that specific thread next time I'll try to link that rather than just the most recent version of my copy/paste, since you actually put my ideas in the OP :)
  • WolfingHour
    WolfingHour
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Gidorick , great idea to keep monotony at bay.

The idea of having a cooldown to access with access key for crowns, not so much. That's a slippery slope I would not like to the game to go down. Instead , have it has a part of a DLC. Pay once to get access to the content and that's it.