The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Glyph extraction bugged?

Benito
Benito
Soul Shriven
I have extracted 100 trifling glyphs of magicka and received no Jora potency rune. The glyphs were from the vendor. My Runestone Extraction skill is at 3/3.
Is this a bug or a new design?
I'm on PC.
Edited by Benito on September 7, 2015 12:29PM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hmm...it may have just been really bad RNG. I have noticed that since they replaced Aspect Extraction with Rune Extraction, that Potency runes have been harder to come by. Early on, it seemed like Aspect runes rarely dropped from extraction and Potencies were the most common. Now, however, I find that if I only get one rune from a glyph, it's usually an Aspect rune.

I've also noticed that when I decon my writ reward glyphs from my lvl one enchanter, she will receive Jodes quite regularly and Joras very rarely.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate how you never get anything back from Glyphs.

It's a way worse return rate than blacksmithing, enchanting of woodworking.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    I hate how you never get anything back from Glyphs.

It's a way worse return rate than blacksmithing, enchanting of woodworking.

Yup. I deconstruct everything and I'm fairly confident that the majority of the glyphs in my bank are from found nodes rather than deconstructing.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed something but I have not done enough testing to say its consistent. If I go to extract a stack of Glyphs, if I don't get any runes on the first two, I get very little with the rest of the stack. If I exit out of the Enchant window, then go back in, I start getting runes and I get a nice haul from the extractions. I have only done this twice (because most of the time I get runes on the first two so no need).

Also, I thought the Extraction Passive was mainly to increase the chance for Aspects, not the Potency or Essence, but maybe it is.

I have never extracted vendor purchased runes, perhaps those have different extraction rules.
    Edited by Nestor on September 9, 2015 5:23PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Nestor wrote: »

I have never extracted vendor purchased runes, perhaps those have different extraction rules.

This.

You've only ever got essences and aspects from vendor runes not potency.
    Edited by Ezareth on September 9, 2015 3:43PM
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Benito
    Benito
    Soul Shriven
    Ezareth wrote: »

You've only ever got essences and aspects from vendor runes not potency.

I did it quite a bit. I used to get from 2 to 4 potency runes per stack of 10 vendor bought Runestones.

But, now nada.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a big overhaul to Enchanting in 1.5. Some changes were the Inspiration you get from extracting other player made glyphs is now the same as alt made glyphs and mob loot glyphs now give more Inspiration (slightly more). Overall Inspiration from extracting went up too. So perhaps other changes were made to the Enchanting including what you get from Vendor sourced Glyph Extractions.

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, I thought the Extraction Passive was mainly to increase the chance for Aspects, not the Potency or Essence, but maybe it is.

Early on, the passive was called "Aspect Extraction" and it only affected the chance of getting an aspect rune from deconning glyphs. At that time, you always received one rune from extraction - usually potency or essence and rarely aspect.

Then, with the Enchanting overhaul, they changed the passive to "Rune Extraction" which affected the chances of getting any rune from deconning glyphs. This then meant that you were no longer guaranteed to get a rune from extraction, but you had the potential to get all three runes. For each decon, you have a chance for a potency, a chance for an essence, and a chance for an aspect. All are equal chances.

I find that most of the time, I get nothing or one rune, very rarely two or three.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before 1.5 I always got a Potency and an Essence, but rarely an Aspect. I was even down on Ta's if you can believe that. Since the changes, some with 1.5, some with a later change, I now have over a 600 of these things and I can't give them away.

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Before 1.5 I always got a Potency and an Essence, but rarely an Aspect. I was even down on Ta's if you can believe that. Since the changes, some with 1.5, some with a later change, I now have over a 600 of these things and I can't give them away.

Yeah, I can't tell you how many Jejotas I have! That's usually what I get when I decon the writ reward glyphs.
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just deconstructed 15 white glyphs and I got nothing. My Runestone Extraction is 3/3. I think it is bugged. I don't recall it this bad where I would get nothing. I did get a few items from my green glyphs.
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BowD wrote: »
    I just deconstructed 15 white glyphs and I got nothing. My Runestone Extraction is 3/3. I think it is bugged. I don't recall it this bad where I would get nothing. I did get a few items from my green glyphs.

See my comment in Post #5 above. It might be something to try.

• BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tonight, I had better luck. When I started to see "Deconstruction Yielded No Results", I ended my session and resumed deconstruction.
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps