The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

6 Ways to make WW a toggle

CP5
CP5
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I don't know where it was posted but recently I've read that one of ZOS's first goals to buff werewolves was to make the transformation a toggle. That hasn't been the case so here are a few quick ideas on how to make the werewolf a toggle.

1.) Negative timer - During the quest where you become a werewolf the timer is empty, this implies the timer is set to a negative value and never hits 0, triggering the revert back to normal.

2.) Bloodrage passive - Remove the "take damage" requirement of this passive and make it proc whenever its off cooldown. Rework the passive itself but keep this proc running and have it keep the werewolf's timer up by adding say, 6 seconds every 5 seconds.

3.) Stop the Timer - When near the shrine or while feeding the timer stops. This is I would guess controlled by a bool, a true false statement. Just have it switched at all times to whichever position it needs to be to stop the timer, or just remove all lines of code that turn it off. If the latter part was done then a ww would need to either visit the ww shrine or start to feed on something but would then have unlimited time.

4.) Passively add time - Similar to reworking the current Bloodrage passive, just have a client side check to see how much time the ww duration has left. Is it below 15 seconds? Then add 15 seconds. Similar to #2 but just a new script for it.

5.) Insane duration - In Skyrim there are summoning spells that conjure Thralls, which are labeled as permanent summons. They don't last forever but instead have a duration so long that it will never logically time out. Change the ww duration from 30 seconds to 86400 seconds and then hide the timer. I would love to see someone sit a full day online to time that out.

6.) Stop the timer from counting down - Last ditch idea and likely the most prone to breaking. Rather than have the timer -= 1 second each second have the timer subtract nothing, unless that is hard coded in the engine, then this one would likely not work.

If any of the above would work then a lot of players, myself included, would be able to enjoy using the transformation part of the werewolf, rather than the free stamina regen. And with that the devs could balance the werewolf skill line to better fit the rest of the game. If anyone has comments on the werewolf or their perspective of the timer feel free, and if any devs want to chime in on how these would or would not work I would like to know.
  • Taz
    Taz
    ✭✭✭
    CP5 wrote: »
    I don't know where it was posted but recently I've read that one of ZOS's first goals to buff werewolves was to make the transformation a toggle.

Wait, ZOS intends to make the transformation a toggle? I really hope that's the case. That would be awesome. I don't suppose you have any idea where you saw that?

I think werewolf should be an ultimate without a timer. There probably needs to be some buffer to keep people from swapping back and forth all the time, for example using one ultimate and then swapping to werewolf for an instant switch (although honestly I'm not sure it'd be that damaging to keep it a toggle even in that case since it isn't like the werewolf ultimate is a sudden "KILL EVERYTHING" button, it's more like a different weapon slot) so they might want to keep it as an ultimate where the timer just stops until you switch back or die. But you have to regain ultimate to use it again after.

However it's done, yeees please make it a toggle.
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Taz wrote: »
    I don't know where it was posted but recently I've read that one of ZOS's first goals to buff werewolves was to make the transformation a toggle.

Wait, ZOS intends to make the transformation a toggle? I really hope that's the case. That would be awesome. I don't suppose you have any idea where you saw that?

I think werewolf should be an ultimate without a timer. There probably needs to be some buffer to keep people from swapping back and forth all the time, for example using one ultimate and then swapping to werewolf for an instant switch (although honestly I'm not sure it'd be that damaging to keep it a toggle even in that case since it isn't like the werewolf ultimate is a sudden "KILL EVERYTHING" button, it's more like a different weapon slot) so they might want to keep it as an ultimate where the timer just stops until you switch back or die. But you have to regain ultimate to use it again after.

However it's done, yeees please make it a toggle.

I heard from a friend who knew a guy kind of thing. Recently someone, forget who, mentioned that in a reply probably forever ago someone at zos said that making the werewolf a toggle was one of their first goals for balance but were unable to do so.
  • ch.ris317b14_ESO
    ch.ris317b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know where it was posted but recently I've read that one of ZOS's first goals to buff werewolves was to make the transformation a toggle. That hasn't been the case so here are a few quick ideas on how to make the werewolf a toggle.

1.) Negative timer - During the quest where you become a werewolf the timer is empty, this implies the timer is set to a negative value and never hits 0, triggering the revert back to normal.

2.) Bloodrage passive - Remove the "take damage" requirement of this passive and make it proc whenever its off cooldown. Rework the passive itself but keep this proc running and have it keep the werewolf's timer up by adding say, 6 seconds every 5 seconds.

3.) Stop the Timer - When near the shrine or while feeding the timer stops. This is I would guess controlled by a bool, a true false statement. Just have it switched at all times to whichever position it needs to be to stop the timer, or just remove all lines of code that turn it off. If the latter part was done then a ww would need to either visit the ww shrine or start to feed on something but would then have unlimited time.

4.) Passively add time - Similar to reworking the current Bloodrage passive, just have a client side check to see how much time the ww duration has left. Is it below 15 seconds? Then add 15 seconds. Similar to #2 but just a new script for it.

5.) Insane duration - In Skyrim there are summoning spells that conjure Thralls, which are labeled as permanent summons. They don't last forever but instead have a duration so long that it will never logically time out. Change the ww duration from 30 seconds to 86400 seconds and then hide the timer. I would love to see someone sit a full day online to time that out.

6.) Stop the timer from counting down - Last ditch idea and likely the most prone to breaking. Rather than have the timer -= 1 second each second have the timer subtract nothing, unless that is hard coded in the engine, then this one would likely not work.

If any of the above would work then a lot of players, myself included, would be able to enjoy using the transformation part of the werewolf, rather than the free stamina regen. And with that the devs could balance the werewolf skill line to better fit the rest of the game. If anyone has comments on the werewolf or their perspective of the timer feel free, and if any devs want to chime in on how these would or would not work I would like to know.

All they had to do was make it function like overload.... except force the WW bar
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

All they had to do was make it function like overload.... except force the WW bar

I'm guessing that was what they tried and were unable to do. I attempted to provide solutions that maintained the current system but made the timer irrelevant.
  • ch.ris317b14_ESO
    ch.ris317b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

I'm guessing that was what they tried and were unable to do. I attempted to provide solutions that maintained the current system but made the timer irrelevant.

Not being critical of your ideas... I just don't understand why they CAN make overload... but cannot reprogram Werewolf?
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Not being critical of your ideas... I just don't understand why they CAN make overload... but cannot reprogram Werewolf?

/shrug, as someone who programs a bit who knows what broke if/when they tried?
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard from a friend who knew a guy kind of thing. Recently someone, forget who, mentioned that in a reply probably forever ago someone at zos said that making the werewolf a toggle was one of their first goals for balance but were unable to do so.

Yeah, that was a post a long time ago. I want to say it was from Paul Sage, but I honestly don't remember.

Also, you missed my suggestion. :p You need to build ultimate to wolf out, but then as a wolf you need to build ultimate back up before you can revert.
    Edited by starkerealm on July 13, 2015 1:48AM
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah, that was a post a long time ago. I want to say it was from Paul Sage, but I honestly don't remember.

Also, you missed my suggestion. :p You need to build ultimate to wolf out, but then as a wolf you need to build ultimate back up before you can revert.

I remember reading that suggestion a while ago and like the idea, adds some risk reward since you can't just jump out when things go bad.

EDIT: Spelling*
    Edited by CP5 on July 13, 2015 2:53AM