The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best Race for Nightblade (all around) PVP and PVE.

OathToExile
OathToExile
Soul Shriven
Hello! I am new to ESOTU but have played MMO's in the past. I am just starting off (on Xbox One) and want to make sure I don't level a character to max to finding missing something crucial or that may really give me an edge later in the game. I plan on participating in both endgame PVP and PVE, and honestly am not sure of what build is best for endgame atm (Stam or Magicka).

So my question is what build is best for end game PVP (I feel In PVP the smallest advantage can make a difference vs in PVE) And what Race would compliment it the most?

Currently I rolled imperial because the video I have been seeing have been sporting Stamina builds for PVP, although I'm following a leving guide strongly insisting Magicka is the best.

Thank you all for your time and I appreciate the input.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Racials really dont make that much of a difference.

That said, it depends on what kind of character you're building. If you want a spellcaster, the best picks are high elf, breton, or dark elf. If you want a melee character, go for wood elf, khajiit, or redguard. If you want to tank, go for orc or nord.

The bonuses are as follows:

Spellcaster Races

High Elf
    +Magicka Regeneration
    +Max magicka
    +Fire/Frost/Shock damage

Breton
    +Max magicka
    Reduced Spell cost
    +Spell resistance

Dark Elf
    +Max Magicka
    +Max Stamina
    +Fire Damage
    +Fire Resistance

Physical Races

Khajiit
    +Health Regeneration
    +Weapon Critical Chance
    +Damage when stealthed
    Harder to detect while sneaking

Wood Elf
    +Stamina Regeneration
    +Max Stamina
    +Disease/Poison Resistance
    +Damage when stealthed

Redguard
    +Stamina Regeneration
    +Max Stamina
    Restores stamina on melee attacks

Tanking Races

Nord
    +Max Health
    +Frost Resistance
    +Health Regeneration
    Reduced damage taken from all attacks

Orc
    +Max Health
    +Max Stamina
    +Health Regeneration
    Reduced Sprint Cost
    Improves all charge abilities

Argonian
    +Max Health
    Bonus to healing received

Imperial
    +Max Health
    +Max Stamina
    Restores health on melee attacks
    Edited by Lynx7386 on June 12, 2015 4:18AM
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Junkogen
    Junkogen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just can't go wrong with Imperial. I think it's the safest bet. The previous post has them as a tank, but they can rock melee with that 10% stamina boost and health return on melee hits. Also, they have the largest stat boost with 22% boost to stats. If you don't mind playing a human, Imperial is a great choice.
    Edited by Junkogen on June 12, 2015 4:34AM
  • Gabriel_Froste
    Gabriel_Froste
    ✭✭✭
    Khajiiiiiit is good nightblade. It is only natural. :wink:
    Please Refer to my Blacksmith Manual
    Rambling Anti-Manual Manual
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magicka: Breton
    Stamina: Imperial or Redguard
    Master Race: Argonian
  • DerpyShadowz
    DerpyShadowz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel Dunmer is a pretty good all rounder for everything.

Didnt you guys know that Dunmer has a hidden racial passive? Which of course makes it master race.
    • Increase your sluttyness and kinky talk by 100%

:p<3
    Lurking in the shadows.
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Didnt you guys know that Dunmer has a hidden racial passive? Which of course makes it master race.

Indeed! There's nothing like playing a Dunmer ;)
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • Darkeus
    Darkeus
    ✭✭✭
    considering the looks dunmer are best NB, dark theme shadow like creatures, considering racials they are not good, not bad... somewhere midle
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dunmer chicks master race <3

Also best looking.

It's actually not half bad for a stamina NB. At least not in PvP. You need the extra magicka for more Mass Hysteria spam, Cloak and if you use Double Take or other self buff. This while most stam builds hardly touches their magicka pool, because no good skills to slot.

Than there's 6% stamina and fire resists.

For sure Imperial, Redguard or Bosmer is better for a stamina build. But Dunmer is still no failure, while also top 3 magicka build and nice sap tank, if you feel like switching around.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer is a safe bet if you are undecided with your role and class. Of cos ebonheart has the highest pop but personally imo I prefer the initial questing zones. Its important to get your attn going esp with the first few zones.

Watch deltia's gaming on YouTube for good starter vids and also build vids.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Kobaal
    Kobaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must consider as well if you are going to be a Vampire you may want to roll a Dark Elf for the Fire resist racial.
    Kobaal - VR16 Dragon Knight - PC [NA] Azura Star
    Kobaal Shadowborn - VR16 NightBlade - PC [NA] Azura Star
    Kobaal Stormborn- VR3 Sorcerer - PC [NA] Azura Star
    Fat Old Templar - lvl 19 Templar - PC [NA] BwB
  • Luffy
    Luffy
    Bosmer all the way considering they have the 21% stam regen, 3% stamina and disease resistance and 10% stealth dmg + better stealth. Great for both pve and pvp.
  • Aquanova
    Aquanova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AVOID ARGONIAN AT ALL COSTS!!!!! Or you shall discover their hidden racial passive....+100% Envy all other race's :s
    NA/PC
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For flexibility Imperial wins. It is viable for both magicka and stamina. Other races are optimal if picking either magicka or stamina and sticking with it.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Skiserony
    Skiserony
    ✭✭✭
    If you want the best race for both PvP and PvE, stamina and magicka, I would go for Imperial or Dunmer.

For NB I would choose Imperial, since he profits from all passives in any case.
  • Elijah_Crow
    Elijah_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are going for a stamina build, without a doubt Bosmer Nightblade and also pick up Werewolf for the Stamina regen!
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the weapon you want to use and playstyle. If you want to use stamina skills and bow the wood elf is best. If you want to be vampire and use fire destruction staff and magicka than dunmer is best. If you want to use dual wield and stamina than wood elf and khajit are a safe bet. If you want to use dual wield and magicka skills than altmer is best. These are your best options.
    Edited by LegacyDM on June 13, 2015 6:11PM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • Ch4rLy
    Ch4rLy
    and breton?
  • Flameheart
    Flameheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ch4rLy wrote: »
    and breton?

Old-LastYearAirlines.jpg

..and Breton isn't bad for magicka NBs, but the true master race for magicka NBs is Dunmer. Best choice for a magicka NB DD, average choice for stamina builds, great choice for NB magicka tanks and a good choice for a magicka based healer role. A fact to reconsider, because you are able to play a magicka NB in all three roles (DD, tank, healer) by just switching gear and skill bars.

Edited by Flameheart on May 10, 2016 12:50PM
    Sometimes the prey turns and nips us... it's a small thing.

So let the snow flakes and unicorns dance alone until they melt or vanish from existence, we will finish up with those smart enough to stay in the glowing circle of love.

Selissi - CP 1k+ Redguard Stamina Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Silmerel - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Templar (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sunja - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Suldreni - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sulhelka - CP 1k+ Altmer Magicka Sorcerer (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sylundine - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Warden (Ebonheart Pact)

• EsoRecon
    EsoRecon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »

That said, it depends on what kind of character you're building. If you want a spellcaster, the best picks are high elf, breton, or dark elf. If you want a melee character, go for wood elf, khajiit, or redguard. If you want to tank, go for orc or nord.

The bonuses are as follows:

Spellcaster Races

High Elf
    +Magicka Regeneration
    +Max magicka
    +Fire/Frost/Shock damage

Breton
    +Max magicka
    Reduced Spell cost
    +Spell resistance

Dark Elf
    +Max Magicka
    +Max Stamina
    +Fire Damage
    +Fire Resistance

Physical Races

Khajiit
    +Health Regeneration
    +Weapon Critical Chance
    +Damage when stealthed

Wood Elf
    +Stamina Regeneration
    +Max Stamina
    +Damage when stealthed

Redguard
    +Stamina Regeneration
    +Max Stamina
    Restores stamina on melee attacks

Tanking Races

Nord
    +Max Health
    +Frost Resistance
    +Health Regeneration
    Reduced damage taken from all attacks

Orc
    +Max Health
    +Max Stamina
    +Health Regeneration
    Reduced Sprint Cost
    Improves all charge abilities

Argonian
    +Max Health
    Bonus to healing received

Imperial
    +Max Health
    +Max Stamina
    Restores health on melee attacks

If you want to be good, never listen to these kind of people. Racials are VERY important.
    Xbox One [ NA ]
    Gamertag - Zyzz II Legacy
    Stam Sorc & Stam NB PvP
    (I'm Just Here To 1vX)
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    magika NB = breton
    stamina = khajiit (for crit focused builds only) or redguard
  • EsoRecon
    EsoRecon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    magika NB = breton
    stamina = khajiit (for crit focused builds only) or redguard

He said all around!
    Xbox One [ NA ]
    Stam Sorc & Stam NB PvP
    (I'm Just Here To 1vX)
  • EsoRecon
    EsoRecon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @OathToExile

It's simple,

Stamina: Redguard, all around best stamina race by far. However if you find you are struggling with health imperial would be the next best.

Magicka: High Elf, any magic class basically choose high elf. People will tell you breton because they hate high elves. But the high elf passives are superior.
    Xbox One [ NA ]
    Stam Sorc & Stam NB PvP
    (I'm Just Here To 1vX)
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    EsoRecon wrote: »

Magicka: High Elf, any magic class basically choose high elf. People will tell you breton because they hate high elves. But the high elf passives are superior.
    Hight elf is not superior for NB anyway
    If you want burst dmg you'll need stamina NB and high elf is not good choise, if you need better survival - breton is better then high elf for her spell res bonus. Elemental dmg is almost useless for NB as all their dmg is magic. Reduce vs regen is not the point as it is well regulated via jewellry and CP and anyway magika NB has very good res managment anyway.

• dday3six
    dday3six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no clear best for every application.

In PVP Stamina is better at 1v1 and general small scale skirmishes. This style of combat is popular among streamers and youtubers, so you see it more often in those mediums. However, Magicka is much better at large scale thanks to Proxy Det (a morph of Magicka Det from the Assault skill line) and the Vicious Death 5pc set bonus.

In PVE Magicka is better at fights that require high that need high mobility. A good example is the final boss of ICP, Lord Warden. However Stamina has a place because the are very good at killing trash mobs, and can put up high numbers in a stand up fight. Also note in general Magicka has an easier time in Vet Maelstrom Arena.

A word of caution when you watch videos for any game not just ESO. Sometimes the effectiveness of a build can changed dramatically from one update to the next due to balance changes.
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ARGONIAN ALL DAY EVERY DAY
    Edited by ThatNeonZebraAgain on May 10, 2016 3:58PM
    Gore-of-the-Forest Argonian Nightblade
    Wode Earthrender Breton Dragonknight
    Ceol the Last Baron Redguard Dragonknight
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
    Erebain Salothran Dark Elf Templar
    Rituals-of-the-Forest Argonian Warden
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    originally i had rolled a imperial nb .... but decided to re roll as bosmer... for the poison resist and the extra damage from stealth mainly ...
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to necro... For magicka, it's Dunmer.

Things changed a couple of months ago with the CP changes and the buff to Wall of Elements, thus making Dunmer with a fire staff the undisputed best magblade in PvE DPS.

For PvE magicka tanking, Imperial is the best race (as it is for any form of tanking), but Dunmer with their stam bonus is arguably the second best race and the best race among the magicka races. Followed by Breton, probably.

For PvP, the main Dunmer advantages don't matter as much (using WoE in PvP is a very PvE thing to do :p). But Dunmer's stam bonus is very nice (since stam is very important in PvP) and is comparable to the sustain bonuses that Altmer and Breton have.

And if you ever bore of magicka and want to try stamina, Dunmer is by far the least disadvantaged of the three magicka races.

People suggesting Breton and Altmer for magicka need to reconsider in light of the changes in TG; there's just no comparison if you care about min/maxing. That said, I'm happy with my Breton.

As for stamina... there isn't much in the way of a clear winner here like there is with magicka.
    Edited by code65536 on May 10, 2016 4:02PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 NB's, Altmer Magicka and Khajiit Stamina.

I love my Altmer mag blade and use it almost exclusively for PVE. That being said, it will be re-rolled Dunmer if they ever implement race change. Siphoning Attacks on a caster NB make Magicka Regen on a non issue, so the 9% max mag, and 7% increased flame damage of a dunmer outweigh the 10% Max magicka and 4% elemental damage of an Altmer.

I use my Khajiit stamblade for PVP and also really enjoy it. I would also re-roll it for either a Wood Elf or Redguard, most likely redguard. The raw stats from Redguard make them a force, and the adrenaline rush passive is amazing for sustain, and allow you to invest more into damage.

The stealthy passive is nice for ganking, but with the change to radiant magelight you have a good chance of having a lot of your initial damage being mitigated. Also, the stealth damage really only helps when opening a fight, and many times when you take on multiple opponents IMO the flat damage from the extra stamina with a redguard would be preferred.

I've seen players with Redguard stamblades that do not use cloak, and just overwhelm multiple opponents opponents with high single target burst damage.
    Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Saxhleel or bust.
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »

Lol, half of these forums are about which race should be played with what class - There are people that will kick you from group if they disagree with your race/class choice because it is not optimal.

I agree with you by the way, any racial passive weakness can be made up for in another way via gear, but try telling the ESO population that race is no difference. Heck, most builds you see race is the first consideration most make.

And MARK MY WORDS: if ZOS implements race change in the crown store, it will be the single biggest seller, as every DLC people will pay to swap out race to accommodate the changes and new "meta" build.
    Edited by emily3989 on May 10, 2016 6:06PM
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA