Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bank Account Being Charged?

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
Upon setting up your subscription plan you may see an initial transaction against your account however this transaction is only temporary. The charge represents an authorization check against the account provided and will be removed once the authorization check is complete.

Exceptions to this general rule are Webmoney, ideal, PaySafeCard, and Giropay.

[Update]
We want everyone who purchased ESO to have immediate access to the included 30 days of ESO game time. In the event that you enter your payment information for authorization and the transaction cancels due to lack of funds in your account, please contact our Support Team. We’ll work with you to ensure you have access to your included 30 days of game time.

Please ensure that you have attempted to enter payment information and had the transaction fail due to lack of funds before submitting a help request. We will get you into the game and playing as soon as possible.

We require you to choose a subscription option and enter valid payment information. For credit cards, debit cards and PayPal there is no charge made until after your included 30 days of game time has expired. For these payment methods, there is an authorization check performed to ensure the payment method is valid. You may see a temporary account authorization hold put on funds in your account while the verification completes. Usually this authorization hold lasts a short period of time before being removed. It can vary from bank to bank.

If you prefer to use one of the following payment methods, payment is processed at the time of selecting your preferred subscription plan.
  • Game Time Cards [via Retailer]
  • GiroPay
  • iDeal
  • Paysafe Card
  • WebMoney
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • Kortak
    Kortak
    ✭✭
    Why do i need to insert a game card code already. I still have 30 days left bought with the game.

So why do i need to insert a code to continue to play before 6 april??????
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All sub based games require you to enter a subscription plan prior to receiving your free 30 days. You will only be charged when your 30 free days is about to expire
  • Signex
    Signex
    ✭✭
    Yes can you please remove this from the code activation process?
  • RingobloodtheOld
    RingobloodtheOld
    ✭✭✭
    Kortak wrote: »
    Why do i need to insert a game card code already. I still have 30 days left bought with the game.

You dont. it is to set up ur payment plan to start in May.
    Server: NA/PC
    Holyringoblood (Altmer) Templer
    Torgrimmer (Breton) Templer
    Ringoblood (Nord) Dragonknight
    Ringobloodtheold (Dummer) Nightblade
  • Expli
    Expli
    Kortak wrote: »

Because of this: 30 DAYS UNLIMITED GAME PLAY INCLUDED WITH PURCHASE. VALID PAYMENT METHOD OR PAID GAME TIME CARD FOR SUBSCRIPTION AND PERSISTENT INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED.

That doesn't mean you have to pay them anything more. But you'll need a valid payment method to access those 30 days.

Every single subscription mmo ever released had this.

On an off note, why is that actually? And furthermore, a gametime card or a paysafecard is an valid payment method, but those will be billed immediatly. So you cant have "just" the 30 day free gametime with those "valid payment methods"...
    Edited by Expli on 4 April 2014 00:31
  • Christophetes
    Christophetes
    ✭✭✭
    So basically, because I only have about $12 in my bank (I'm between paydays), I'm not going to be able to play the game I ALREADY PAID FOR until next week when I have enough to cover the authorization?

What kind of nonsense is this!?
  • cazlonb16_ESO
    cazlonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhoric wrote: »
    All sub based games require you to enter a subscription plan prior to receiving your free 30 days.

No, most MMOs do not actually, or did not when they still were subscription based games anyway.

• Signex
    Signex
    ✭✭
    So basically, because I only have about $12 in my bank (I'm between paydays), I'm not going to be able to play the game I ALREADY PAID FOR until next week when I have enough to cover the authorization?

What kind of nonsense is this!?

Yea i'm in the same boat, this is ridicilous.
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All sub based games require you to enter a subscription plan prior to receiving your free 30 days.

No, most MMOs do not actually, or did not when they still were subscription based games anyway.

Actually yes they did. I have been playing MMOs since 2000

• MRizk21
    MRizk21
    ✭✭✭

World of Warcraft doesn't ask for a cent after you buy Battle Chest before you use all your 30 days free game time. YOUR POINT IS SO INVALID.
    Edited by MRizk21 on 4 April 2014 00:49
  • Phewsion
    Phewsion
    Most sub based MMOs require payment info to be ADDED to your account (or at the very least select how you will be paying) but they have never done Authorizations, atleast the few I've played in the past 12+ years

Basically anyone with no credit/visa debit card won't be able to play this game, or resort having to buy a $33 Game Card (That's in NZD from JB Hifi) just to be able to play for free 30 days, possibly not liking the game and wasting a game card

If you are going to do authorizations first tell people and second only charge $0.01 there is no need to try do the whole amount till it's actual billing time

Edit: My main problem is the fact New Zealand is being charged in EUROs for a sub instead of AUD like the purchase price
    Edited by Phewsion on 4 April 2014 00:55
  • meaghs
    meaghs
    ✭✭✭
    neither does LOTRO... or any other that i've gamed. Normally on activating you choose which option, cc or game card, however you don't need to register a game card until the first 30 days is up. Can anyone confirm that you get your game time plus the thirty days included in the initial purchase?
  • Sassyvixen70b14_ESO
    I do not understand why we weren't just charged a $1.00 if its just to validate the card. That is what most sites do to make sure your payment information is valid.
  • forgot2shave
    For starters, the biggest MMO out there does not do this. You can go buy a starter pack for WoW and play without a card. Not only that, but you shouldn't really try to justify a charge for a full price of a month when a 1 dollar charge can validate a payment method.

Secondly, I just redeemed my game key and I am already down to 29 days. What the hell happened to the extended early access? Was that not going to count towards my game time? I could've just waited to redeem my damn code and I would've gained a few days. That's shady as hell.

Lastly, nowhere does it even say in my account that my free game time is being used. What I see on my end is a charge for 14.99 go through and 29 days left of game time. What exactly do you expect people are going to think when they see that?
  • Bragauk
    Bragauk
    ✭✭
    I would love to know the same thing as everyone else here. I did not see anywhere that it was going to charge me now for something that does not start for 30 days. I also am seeing that I have 29 days left which goes against what they said for the extension for early release. I think we need to see an official response on this please.
  • Maigottb16_ESO
    Again I felt cheated when I found out that they took my money right after filling out the payment method. That´s not ok! I like the game and payed this time but that is an impertinent way to treat us customers. More of such impertinences and I´ll refund this beautiful game just to show that I refuse to get treated like this!
  • cazlonb16_ESO
    cazlonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you are confusing picking a payment option with actually charging you, even if only temporary, or requiring you to enter a gametime code upon activation of the game.

Two entirely different animals.
  • Mayor_Max
    Mayor_Max
    Soul Shriven
    Please fix this stuff. It is wrong both morally and legally. Thanks.
  • xDevlinx21
    xDevlinx21
    ✭✭
    For starters, the biggest MMO out there does not do this. You can go buy a starter pack for WoW and play without a card. Not only that, but you shouldn't really try to justify a charge for a full price of a month when a 1 dollar charge can validate a payment method.

Secondly, I just redeemed my game key and I am already down to 29 days. What the hell happened to the extended early access? Was that not going to count towards my game time? I could've just waited to redeem my damn code and I would've gained a few days. That's shady as hell.

Lastly, nowhere does it even say in my account that my free game time is being used. What I see on my end is a charge for 14.99 go through and 29 days left of game time. What exactly do you expect people are going to think when they see that?

I too have been hit with this crap. Every other game / website that requires a valid payment option NEVER charges the full price but rather a $1.00 just to make sure the payment method is valid. I also made sure to read the damn fine print before choosing my payment method and it clearly stated I would only be charged a pre-authorization, not the whole damn payment. A whole payment isn't a "pre-auth."
    I'm also seeing 29 days left of game time. I can't afford to pay my sub until my upcoming payday in a few weeks.
    Live Streamer: http://twitch.tv/xDevlinx21
    (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
  • wllstrt75b14_ESO
    wllstrt75b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Eve does not ask for an authorization ! Maybe 1 or 2 games I have played have asked for this, and it is nonsense in the sense that it does cause issues for some.
    The $.01 is a definitive workaround and I have seen that used in the past. I have never seen the full amount charged.
  • Lavatory2b16_ESO
    So after these two days, I'll not be able to play for awhile, purely because you need to charge me money to test my card.

Why? I already bought the game, I have the retail codes.
    why must you make me enter in the card information at this stage. This is dumb.
  • Thannik
    Thannik
    ✭✭✭
    People really do complain about anything and everything. ZOS, you guys are doing a great job bringing a single player franchise to the MMO world, and great job on your first ever MMO.

This game reminds me a lot of Asheron's Call. A game that i've been paying $14.95/month off and on since 1998 (okay, it was 9.99/month back then). I bring this up as a point, that's also another subscription MMO which requires payment authorizations before playing your first 30 days. And it's one of the oldest! Not every company does it the WoW way (to whom referenced "the biggest MMO out there", for better or for worst.

Don't let the chorus of QQ bring you down. Just remember all the positive people are too busy playing. - or patiently waiting for the game to patch. :)
    Edited by Thannik on 4 April 2014 01:32
  • wllstrt75b14_ESO
    wllstrt75b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The concept of people liking their game and paying based on that is too foreign for them, and with their idea of customer service I can understand that ideology.

They want your money now :) but wait they will give it back to you in a few days..cause that makes a whole lot of sense! yes you have the money now cool play and we will just assume that you will have the money when it is time to pay.

The whole idea is to verify if the account is valid, the that's why most companies that do this use $.01
    However Zenimax is too lazy to change payment schedules or prices in their automated process for a weekend so the keep it at the full price.

It is either there too lazy or they are too scared they will break it if the change it :)

• Felarrond
    Felarrond
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth would you do a full hold on the subscription fee? Do you realize you could cause an overdraft in peoples accounts? Most companies only place a hold for $1. You guys do realize you're probably going to have a lot of freaked out people I was one of them. Your billing page specifically states you'll be charged $0.00 and you still place a hold for the full amount? That's very very misleading. Most banks WILL refund an overdraft if a charge falls off, but you could be seriously screwing people that have rent due early in the month because it can take like 3 days for that to fall off and another 2-3 days for banks to reverse the overdraft charges.
  • josephirothb16_ESO
    FYI FF 14 does not do require you to put in credit card info before your 30 days is up. World of Warcraft does not do it either.... Tera online didn't do it either, SWTOR didn't do it either, Soooo I think they need to not be doing that.
    The man who is really serious, with the urge to find out what truth is, has no style at all. He lives only in what is.
  • Thralgaf
    Thralgaf
    ✭✭✭
    Guys, I work as a store manager for a big box retailer. They have to do this to protect you and them from fraud.
  • Allonsy
    Allonsy
    ✭✭✭
    I will have two copies of the game, being played on two different computers by two different people in the same household. This means, according to the original post, that my card will be charged twice for the FULL amount, even though I am entitled to 30 days each just for buying the game. I find this COMPLETELY unacceptable! WoW certainly never asks for card or payment info when you buy any of their games. If this is going to be the practice, I will gladly refuse my pre-orders of this game and go back to playing WoW. SMH.
    Edited by Allonsy on 4 April 2014 01:38
    Casual ESO player since beta began. Played all the console games except for Morrowind.
  • Lavatory2b16_ESO
    So I bought this with the last of my cred card funds, fully expecting the 30 free days, Nope. Now after these 2 days I'll not be able to play it for awhile. Good job, I'm well impressed. You can sure expect me to return.
  • c_cameron245
    So I paid $60 to pre order the standard version, never got my early access, and now I have to pay for authorization and wait for it to go through? I have NO money in my account right now to pay for it. Now I have to wait until payday so I can play. I'm absolutely appalled by all of this.
    Edited by c_cameron245 on 4 April 2014 01:53
  • Felarrond
    Felarrond
    ✭✭✭
    Thralgaf wrote: »
    Guys, I work as a store manager for a big box retailer. They have to do this to protect you and them from fraud.

Not true, there are many games that don't make you sign up for a sub first, or if they do they don't preauthorize the charges or place a temp hold on anything beyond $1 to verify it's a valid card.