The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[SOLVED] PTS - Content Write Failed

Zyle
Zyle
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm not sure what the problem is, but I've never run into this issue.

Got a new HDD, installed live a few weeks ago no problem. Same directory, nothing has changed, decide to re-download PTS to test out DB update. Let it sit overnight, check in the morning, says 3GB left, Content Write Failed.

After doing some research I was barely able to find anything but the one post I did find was about admin privileges on a Mac. I verified I have admin privileges and can't get past this stupid error. I really don't wanna have to download it all again as I never get decent speed when doing so...

Halp!

676 CP
Zyle - LVL50 Stamina Nightblade - Former Emp AS - VMA Clear (Flawless)
Joven - LVL50 Hybrid Templar
Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
Radac - LVL50 Magicka Sorcerer
Vanikath - LVL50 Magicka DK
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update (since it won't let me edit): Watching the launcher, still says Content Write Failed but the size remaining is slowly becoming larger and larger, at 40GB now. Please tell me this launcher is more intuitive than just "redownload everything if even 0.1% of the process is broken"....

EDIT: FML, it got to 43GB then started redownloading....I hate this patcher, I really do.
    Edited by Zyle on 26 April 2016 14:22

676 CP
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
  • KallistaBlackheart
    KallistaBlackheart
    ✭✭✭
    i am getting the same message at 21% as well as a http request fail....
  • Metafae
    Metafae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the same boat. This was going to be the first time I downloaded the PTS, but it looks like it's just not going to happen at this rate.
  • KallistaBlackheart
    KallistaBlackheart
    ✭✭✭
    every time i restart the launcher it verifies up to ~21 -23% then gives the same message. "content write failed" i find zero reference to this issue on the forums. would love to test the new dlc but does not look like it is going to happen at this rate.
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    every time i restart the launcher it verifies up to ~21 -23% then gives the same message. "content write failed" i find zero reference to this issue on the forums. would love to test the new dlc but does not look like it is going to happen at this rate.

This is the exact issue I've been dealing with, after a while it just started redownloading all 43GB :(. Can anyone from ZOS confirm that the partials are supposed to be read-only or not?

676 CP
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
  • THORAXE00
    THORAXE00
    Soul Shriven
    I have the same problem :(
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Not sure who to tag, also not sure if this is supposed to get a ZOS response or not but is there any way you could get more information on this error? This is incredibly frustrating, and even more so without any insight.

676 CP
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update: Got to 13GB left, content write failed. :LFJKD:SLKFJDS:DFKLJSDF:LKJSD:LVKJCBV:OIXHBPO*(QY&@)(*Y$!OI:KNRLKNGDS:LIKJB:LKBMCLKNA:KLIfhs;

So damn frustrated right now.

676 CP
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
  • tpanisiakb16_ESO
    tpanisiakb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is exactly happening to me. Content Write Failed at 23%. This was left to download, uninterrupted over night for 10+ hours. Yikes.
  • AGrz5585
    AGrz5585
    ✭✭✭
    I'm having the same problem. I get to 24% or so before the content write failed. Would really like to know a solution to this
  • BloodMagicLord
    BloodMagicLord
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happening to me, got to 19% and can't progress any further.
    PC EU | Tank | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart
    STOP CLASS HOMOGENISATION
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying again....currently at 12%/32GB left to download.

676 CP
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So looking at the folder where it downloads to, I don't think it has a cleanup operation or if it does it's going to overwrite the files, all my partials from the original attempt are still there but I'm not sure if that's contributing to the error or not. I wish these errors were more descriptive! Write errors can be caused by so many different things...

676 CP
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
  • BloodMagicLord
    BloodMagicLord
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah its not halpful at all. I think the only thing I can do is assume that the download is broken and start it again (really frustrating, this will be the second time the download has failed, for two different reasons)
    PC EU | Tank | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart
    STOP CLASS HOMOGENISATION
  • Ishtar
    Ishtar
    ✭✭
    I also got that issue and found a fix for me.
    1. close Launcher
    2. open C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online PTS\depot\patchdata.depot
    folder and deleted the 4 files that ends with .partial (e.g.: depot_-1to52.z21.partial)
    3. restart Launcher
    4. let it check the files and it will continue downloading.

Hope this could help you also
    @Dareni cp: 890
    • Lorenina Sorc Highelf EP
    • Nymphadona Templar Breton EP
    • Dareni NB Bosmer EP
    • Nanduri DK Dunmer EP
    • Nalysia Templar Imperial EP
    • Selanor Sorc Bosmer EP
    • Darení NB Dunmer EP
    • Egereni DK Redguard EP
    • Lord Dareni Templar Bosmer EP
    • Darenì DK Bosmer EP

Necrotic Lagg
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ishtar wrote: »
    I also got that issue and found a fix for me.
    1. close Launcher
    2. open C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online PTS\depot\patchdata.depot
    folder and deleted the 4 files that ends with .partial (e.g.: depot_-1to52.z21.partial)
    3. restart Launcher
    4. let it check the files and it will continue downloading.

Hope this could help you also

Sweet, thank you for that, deleting partials now. Will update thread if I get further than the first time.

676 CP
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
  • KallistaBlackheart
    KallistaBlackheart
    ✭✭✭
    did that when this first happened... nothing. got to 23% and still have the same problem.
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update:

:[ Did not work, got to 23% as well and hit Content Write Failed again. I wish it would happen at 1% so I don't have to wait for it to re download nearly everything...

676 CP
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like several people in this thread the PTS download gets to 23% and I get "Content write failed".
    If I pause and restart it skips back to like 16% downloaded , gets to 23% and again I get "Content write failed".
    If I close the launcher it verifies files start downloading again and at 23% I get, you guessed it, "Content write failed".

@ZOS_GinaBruno could you please ask someone advise us on a fix for this "Content write failed" issue?

Content%20write%20failed_zpsus8nhuqs.jpg
    Edited by Jennifur_Vultee on 26 April 2016 19:08
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • Tarrin
    Tarrin
    ✭✭✭
    23% the same fail

gmvV1gOtnaEzma.jpg

UPD.

Every time it try to connect and increase the value up to 2gb
    8238Wp4U37bPAO.jpg

Edited by Tarrin on 26 April 2016 21:13
    Samurai without a sword
    Like a samurai with the sword
    But without the sword
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I give up :/ I literally have ESO Live installed same directory as I'm sure everyone does, so it's not my hardware. Brand new hard drive, 877GB free.

I've tried restarting computer, creating new administrator account and trying. It's hard to troubleshoot with a non-descriptive error.

At this point I've downloaded 40GB 3 times now, it always gets stuck with the last 3.5GB. Verifying files gets to the 3.5GB marker and hangs:
    verifying.png

It then attempts to download for a blip but adds 2GB (i'm assuming it attempts to redownload corrupted portion and one prior) and then lands on Content Write Failed again:
    contentwrite.png

From there if you let it sit it 1 by 1 adds 2GB to total file size until it hits the full 43GB and then goes back to downloading the entire 43GB.

676 CP
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tumblr_m0q1bwqvIs1rqnbfjo1_250.gif

676 CP
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Done wasting my time, failed at 24%, guessing they really don't want people testing the PTS
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm about to just copy over the entire live directory to the PTS then try updating. At this point I'm willing to try everything.

Update: Before I do that, I tried deleting the last 3 parts depot_-1to52.z21.partial - depot_-1to52.z23.partial, it's currently downloading (or trying to) the last 7.5GB now. My guess is it'll get stuck at 3.5GB
    Edited by Zyle on 26 April 2016 19:36

676 CP
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update: Yep, about 3.5GB seems to be the recurring theme here:

Right before:
    38left.png

Right when it hit 3.5GBish, hit content write failed and added 2GB.
    cwf54.png

Edit: Going to try copying over live files and seeing what happens xD
    Edited by Zyle on 26 April 2016 19:57

676 CP
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
  • AGrz5585
    AGrz5585
    ✭✭✭
    Zyle wrote: »
    Update: Yep, about 3.5GB seems to be the recurring theme here:

Right before:
    38left.png

Right when it hit 3.5GBish, hit content write failed and added 2GB.
    cwf54.png

Edit: Going to try copying over live files and seeing what happens xD

We all seem to have the same problem at that 3.5gb mark... Let us know how the copying goes
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not downloaded the PTS update yet, I may do that tonight. I wonder if this issue only appears on new installs or re-installations. I mean a bunch of people are on the PTS right now, but they could be folks who just updated their existing install.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• AGrz5585
    AGrz5585
    ✭✭✭
    I got the error when trying to update existing install.

Its confusing because nothing has changed in my hardware in a long time
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Small update as I continue to try and get the live files to work, I went ahead and copied over and created an identical setup to live.

I then launched the patcher, it immediately popped up with the unable to determine version and a repair option.

It won't let you repair until you delete these two files:
    depot.version in depot folder
    game_player.version in game folder

Currently it is verifying the files I copied over from live, will update again once it gets to the point where it needs to download

115782-200.png

Update 1: It made it through the first verify process, flashed a few bars, I think I saw text like "masking" somewhere in the blips, now it is going through another verify process :lol:

Update 2: I don't think it's a 2nd verify process, I think the text is stuck on "Verifying 42422.39 MB remaining" but the progress par and % is increasing so...lol

Update 3: Definitely think it's downloading something, getting heavy network activity. Currently at 56%!

Update 4: It hit 100% then reset as if it was going to redownload the full 43GB, I restarted it hoping it was an error and now it has popped up with a 250MB download. We'll see what happens next :open_mouth:

Update 5: Finished the 250MB, got another could not determine version, hitting repair again! (Looks like the 250MB was things like the game executable, prior to the reset it was still using the live .exe that I copied over.)

Update 6: Not looking good! It seems to want to verify no problem, then almost hits some kind of UI error and can't update what it's doing but I get the feeling it's trying to redownload the entire 43GB. Just deleted another version file under vo_en and databuild.stamp. Getting the feeling it's not gonna work but I'll keep trying lol.

Update 7: Same step as Update 4, hit 100% then listed 43GB, I restart patcher and it's now downloading 7GB. Seems like a much more reasonable file size. Will update when that completes.

Update 8: Approaching the dreaded 3.5GB left mark, currently at 3.7GB left. This could be a completely different 7GB from the total 43GB though, won't know until it's done :/ Mini update: Made it past the 3.5GB marker, will update when this one finished, 3.1GB left to go.
    Edited by Zyle on 26 April 2016 22:23

676 CP
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    ditto to all of the above. I'm on my iMac, since 64 bit client, all has been great. no crashes, little lag, etc.

Except, for this same issue: PTS download gets to 20-21%, then CONTENT WRITE FAIL message. every time.

HELP!
    “The point of power is always in the present moment.”

― Louise L. Hay