Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Fatal Game Breaking Error

theharven
theharven
✭✭✭
So I was just questing around Hoarfrosts Downs, Rivenspire when this error appeard from nowhere:
A7NeRSZ.png

Since I'm an addon author (btw. here are my addons) and I know what some of this gibber means I decided to investigate it a little (we call it debugging). It says it's "Game Breaking" so I had to be careful not to break my game.

At first I noticed "Animal" and "Cow" words in the message so it had to be somehow related to cows in this area. There were at least 5 cows so I started to observe randomly chosen one. Before I begun I searched the deepest corners of the internet for some cows reference manuals or RFCs. I found this one, it's pretty accurate imho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmRUq1bWyPo

Here is me observing randomly chosen cow:
ZqbgpE9.png

The cow stands there and pretends to be eating grass (because as you can see there is only mud around). The message says something about some output device. First thought is a snout (it's more like input not output device in case of cows). But the cow had a snout, although it didn't make any sound (refer to the RFC above). I suppose it's a silent cow, stealth one.

So I proceeded to closer inspection.

Here is me doing closer inspection. In the rain. At night:
q0rm889.png

It struck me like a thunder when I noticed there was NO MILK OUTPUT DEVICE underneath! So that was it! But you can never be too careful so I undertook few other steps.

Step one - make sure it's a cow.
The game could display wrong animal name. I quickly made this simple script:
SLASH_COMMANDS["/isacow"] = function(...)
	zo_callLater( function()
		local name = GetUnitName('reticleover')
		if name == 'Cow' then
			d( "It is a cow indeed!" )
		else
			d( "No, it isn't a cow, it is "..name )
		end
	end, 1000 )
end

It allowed me to type /isacow command to see if a person I was pointing at is a cow.
Few tests confirmed it was a cow, also tried it at different persons to see if it worked:
4j7jDHB.png

Step two - make sure the cow is a girl.
Another simple script:
SLASH_COMMANDS["/whatgender"] = function(...)
	zo_callLater( function()
		local name = GetUnitName('reticleover')
		local gender = GetUnitGender('reticleover')
		local genders = {
			[GENDER_MALE] = "boy",
			[GENDER_FEMALE] = "girl",
			[GENDER_NEUTER] = "neuter?"
		}
		d( name.."is a "..genders[gender] )
	end, 1000 )
end

and the results:
B7g4oON.png
Obviously I can't agree with the result, it has to be another game breaking bug. Cow is a girl and everybody knows that.

Please ZOS fix the milk_output_device_not_found_on_cows game breaking error ASAP! Thanks!

Cheers,
Harven
Addons? Get them all ; )
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I laughed more than i should at this :D
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A well deserved 'awesome' rating from me, made me chuckle :D
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • andreasv
    andreasv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you contacted the animal manager (mentioned in the last two lines) before doing any inspection of his / her live stock?
  • Techlisp
    Techlisp
    ✭✭✭
    Education is a wonderful thing. B)
    This post will not take you an unusually long time to read.

PS4. EU. EP.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hillarious...
    is there even someone at ZOS testing or at least checking anything?

now they get even bulls probbably bullocks ont op of it sold as cows...

great finding Harven :P
    Edited by Tankqull on 8 September 2015 13:40
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• theharven
    theharven
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot to mention the steps to reproduce:
    1. Go to Hoarfrosts Downs, Rivenspire,
    2. Find a cow,
    3. Stare at the cow,
    4. Notice the is no milk output device

Animal manager is silent about the issue. All he can do is throw exceptions at me.
    Addons? Get them all ; )
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If none of the cows have milk output devices, one must only assume that all the cheese comes from mammoth, sheep, or goat milk. Have these creatures been checked for milk output devices? If they have none, I am not touching any in game food that contains "cheese".

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Saltypretzels
    Saltypretzels
    ✭✭✭✭
    You, sir, have won the internet!
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Epona222 wrote: »
    If none of the cows have milk output devices, one must only assume that all the cheese comes from mammoth, sheep, or goat milk. Have these creatures been checked for milk output devices? If they have none, I am not touching any in game food that contains "cheese".

.... Ew
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • alexandava
    This was........... Hilarious.....

Thanks!
  • Gaiden'Densetsu
    Gaiden'Densetsu
    ✭✭✭
    WHERE IS THE MILK COMING FROM!!!!!
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

• Dreizopf
    Dreizopf
    ✭✭✭
    MMD :D

Wonderful! OP, thank you for that true ROFL in front of my screen. <3
    Edited by Dreizopf on 8 September 2015 14:21
    Man sollte sagen, was man meint. Wenn man nicht sagt, was man meint, dann meint man nicht, was man sagt.
    You should say what you are meaning. If you don't say what you are meaning, you don't mean what you are saying.
    (Wittgenstein, "Lycidas", Christoph Marzi)
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody has waaaaaayyyy too much time on their hands! Please tell me that you were sitting out a rather large bounty while you were composing this gem!
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    CGPsaint wrote: »
    Somebody has waaaaaayyyy too much time on their hands! Please tell me that you were sitting out a rather large bounty while you were composing this gem!

Or, you know, the server was down for maintenance or something freaky like that :p

• theharven
    theharven
    ✭✭✭

I was fighting mammoths in my day but I was too busy to notice. I will investigate sheeps and goats though. I found some good manuals already:

Sheeps:
    https://youtu.be/pKbcXahcofk

Goats:
    https://youtu.be/GoA0n7AgGq0?t=2m48s

CGPsaint wrote: »
    Somebody has waaaaaayyyy too much time on their hands!
    To me it looks like they don't have that much time, otherwise they would add milk output devices to all cows :smile:
    Edited by theharven on 8 September 2015 15:31
    Addons? Get them all ; )
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    string.char(0x4C, 0x4F, 0x4C)

EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
  • willymchilybily
    willymchilybily
    ✭✭✭✭

khajitt have mammary glands....

...I feel my character developing a lactose intolerance
    PSN - WarpPigeon - Guild: TheSyndicate - EU, Ebonheart Pact
    Dragon Knight [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Magicka] - 720 - Flawless Conqueror
    Templar [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Dragon Knight [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Stamina] - 720
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭

khajitt have mammary glands....

...I feel my character developing a lactose intolerance

I hear that their milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Rikal
    Rikal
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is a bunch of bull.
    Rikal on NA-PC (aka Rhaulikko)
  • gard
    gard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @theharven thank you for the laugh this morning! Best bug report ever!

(Is the exception in the screenshot real?)

My wife complains that I never listen to her. (Or something like that.)
    -- I'm a one man smurf zerg!

My ESO addons:
    Midnight - Find out when midnight is so that you can check for ww/vamp spawn.
    Goto - Adds a tab to the map pane allowing you to teleport to a friend, guildmate, or groupmate for free.
  • theharven
    theharven
    ✭✭✭
    @gard, the screenshot is real! But the message... you can guess ;)
    local exception = [[Eso/Entities/AnimalCow.cpp:114: OutputDeviceNotFoundException: output device not found
    stack traceback:
    Eso/Entities/AnimalCow.cpp:114: in function 'AnimalCow::GetOutputDeviceByIndex'
    Eso/Entities/AnimalBase.cpp:1047: in function 'AnimalBase::GetAnimalOutputDeviceByIndex'
    Eso/Entities/AnimalBase.cpp:88: in function 'AnimalBase::EnumerateAnimalOutputDevices'
    Eso/Entities/AnimalBase.cpp:581: in function 'AnimalBase::CreateAnimalFromTemplate'
    Eso/Entities/AnimalManager.cpp:164: in function 'AnimalManager::GetAnimalByIndex'
    Eso/Entities/AnimalManager.cpp:422: in function 'AnimalManager::EnumerateZoneAnimals'
    8371350907706105899:4: in function '(main chunk)'
    (tail call): ?]]
    ZO_ERROR_FRAME.titleControl:SetText("Fatal Game Breaking Error!!!!11")
    ZO_ERROR_FRAME:OnUIError(exception)

Edited by theharven on 8 September 2015 20:17
    Addons? Get them all ; )
  • firstdecan
    firstdecan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If I read the error correctly, they're trying to get it from the tail. I think that would throw an error, or make some really nasty milk.
  • gard
    gard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    firstdecan wrote: »

If I read the error correctly, they're trying to get it from the tail. I think that would throw an error, or make some really nasty milk.

Eat your spinach. It's good for you.
    My wife complains that I never listen to her. (Or something like that.)
    -- I'm a one man smurf zerg!

My ESO addons:
    Midnight - Find out when midnight is so that you can check for ww/vamp spawn.
    Goto - Adds a tab to the map pane allowing you to teleport to a friend, guildmate, or groupmate for free.
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have way too much time on your hands! ;)

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2220+
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have way too much time on your hands! ;)
    PrP9ijS.jpg
    Yup. Way too much.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • likelolwhat
    likelolwhat
    ✭✭✭✭
    theharven wrote: »
    A7NeRSZ.png

Tail call? I do not think that means what I think it means. At least, it better not. :tongue:
    Forever looking for that one avatar that no one else has...

The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - the definitive source for Elder Scrolls info. Proud founding member of the official PC UESP guild, NA server.
  • Selique
    Selique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hilarious!
    Falls-With-Grace ~ Shadowscale (Argonian Night Blade)
    Selique Lasra ~ Captain, Smuggler, Swashbuckler (Redguard Templar)
    Chases-Comets ~ Shellback Warrior (Argonian Dragon Knight)
    Slissix-Kir ~ Swamp Shaman (Argonian Sorcerer)
    Hail Sithis..