The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Encase not always working? Unreliable spell

Tahnor
Tahnor
50% of the times that I use Restraining Prison (Encase) the spell is not working.

It is not a matter of distance to the target - I can fire the spell 5 times from exactly the same position and it only works the fifth time...

And it is not a matter of aiming - the crosshair does lock on target.

Is it supposed to work like this? If yes, why doesn't it say so ("50% chance to miss" or something like that)? I don't have this problem with any other spell.

The spell feels very unreliable, since I never know if it will work or not.

Solutions?
Edited by Tahnor on April 21, 2014 9:15PM
  • Pixelex
    Pixelex
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I noticed that, too. But for me it works most of the times.

But since I'm level 30 it fails very often.. so I think the enemys perhaps can resist this spell or something? I have no combat feedback.. so I don't know. If this is a bug, it has to be fixed. .__.'
    Meisterangler alias Masterfischi
    www.pixelex.net
    Options
  • jbrenston
    jbrenston
    From what I can tell, when the spell is activated a purple mist appears at you feet. If the mob is in the mist then they will be trapped. Or if a mob is near a mob that is in the mist it will be trapped. I'm not 100% sure but thats what it seems like. I normally have to get up close to the mob, cast it, and then move away.
    Options
  • Pixelex
    Pixelex
    ✭✭✭
    No its really random. There are some enemys in the same range which are not effected by encase. And I mean normal enemys, no bosses.
    www.pixelex.net
    Options
  • disexistencenub19_ESO
    Make sure they aren't flying/floating creatures, as roots will not work on them. I've done that a few times, and then realized that the mobs were just immune to it.
    Options
  • Pixelex
    Pixelex
    ✭✭✭
    Uhm yes I know. But they where all on the ground. For example skeletons or wolves.

Just for some minutes two wolves.. both same range. One affected, the other one runs to me. I don't understand this. -.-
    www.pixelex.net
    Options
  • Tahnor
    Tahnor
    Today the spell is working perfectly. Has it been fixed?
    Options
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    Tahnor wrote: »
    50% of the times that I use Restraining Prison (Encase) the spell is not working.

It is not a matter of distance to the target - I can fire the spell 5 times from exactly the same position and it only works the fifth time...

And it is not a matter of aiming - the crosshair does lock on target.

Is it supposed to work like this? If yes, why doesn't it say so ("50% chance to miss" or something like that)? I don't have this problem with any other spell.

The spell feels very unreliable, since I never know if it will work or not.

Solutions?

As described, the targets must be infront of you; the spell works fine.

Options
  • Pixelex
    Pixelex
    ✭✭✭

Sometimes I think that, too, but no. Today it failed very often for me again. :(
    Khazaad wrote: »

The enemys are always in front of me, almost at the same position. And some are affected, some not.

I know how the spell works, but for me the spell fails in 3 of 5 trys. Most times in enemy groups. For example 4 enemys. 3 enemys are affected, and 1 not. So I sometimes think enemys can resist this or something. I don't know. :(
    Edited by Pixelex on April 28, 2014 9:51PM
    www.pixelex.net
    Options
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    Pixelex wrote: »

Sometimes I think that, too, but no. Today it failed very often for me again. :(

The enemys are always in front of me, almost at the same position. And some are affected, some not.

I know how the spell works, but for me the spell fails in 3 of 5 trys. Most times in enemy groups. For example 4 enemys. 3 enemys are affected, and 1 not. So I sometimes think enemys can resist this or something. I don't know. :(

I see what you're saying. personally, my experience is only with 3-4 mobs, (I'm lvl 29 w/ Shattering) I can regularly get 3 when they're in the "reasonable vicinity".

Have you tried experimenting with letting a group get close enough to hit you, not moving, and key press? Are you mashing the button, or hitting it once? Are all redguards born ugly? I dunno, just a few things I'd ask.

Options
  • Pixelex
    Pixelex
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried experimenting with letting a group get close enough to hit you, not moving, and key press? Are you mashing the button, or hitting it once? Are all redguards born ugly? I dunno, just a few things I'd ask.

It is absolutely random Khazaad. The enemys can be far away or almost stand next to me. But they are always at least "visual" in encase range.

Sometimes this is very interesting. There are 3 enemys. Two enemys are standing more far away from me than the third. The third one is closer to me, he is perfectly in front of me.
    Now I cast encase (well I use shattering prison) and only the two, which are more far away from me are affected. The one who is closer to me and stands directly in front of me is not affected. xD
    www.pixelex.net
    Options
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    Make a video with FRAPS. Fer posterity. ;)@Pixelex‌
    Options
  • Falmer
    Falmer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I think it has more to do with elevation. The spell (for me) seems to work fine on flat surfaces. However, if you are outside and the target is down an incline from you, then it tends to miss a lot.

It seems like the targeting cone isn't based on your camera angle, but directly in front of your character on a horizontal plane. Thus, if you are fighting on a hill, then don't rely on this spell.

This is just my experience with it.
    Options
  • Pixelex
    Pixelex
    ✭✭✭
    Falmer wrote: »
    Honestly, I think it has more to do with elevation. The spell (for me) seems to work fine on flat surfaces. However, if you are outside and the target is down an incline from you, then it tends to miss a lot.

It seems like the targeting cone isn't based on your camera angle, but directly in front of your character on a horizontal plane. Thus, if you are fighting on a hill, then don't rely on this spell.

This is just my experience with it.

Hmm.. could be, but I think I got this problem on flat grounds, too.

I will try this again in the evening. Perhaps I make screens or a video.
    www.pixelex.net
    Options
  • Moloyo
    Moloyo
    Soul Shriven
    jbrenston wrote: »
    From what I can tell, when the spell is activated a purple mist appears at you feet. If the mob is in the mist then they will be trapped. Or if a mob is near a mob that is in the mist it will be trapped. I'm not 100% sure but thats what it seems like. I normally have to get up close to the mob, cast it, and then move away.
    Thats the way it shold work... but it doesn't. I cast in in front of a group of three the one in the middle is no affected

Edited by Moloyo on August 13, 2014 11:41PM
    Options
  • Pixelex
    Pixelex
    ✭✭✭
    Moloyo wrote: »
    Thats the way it shold work... but it doesn't. I cast in in front of a group of three the one in the middle is no affected

Yes, Encase is still not working! Some mobs aren't affected somehow..
    www.pixelex.net
    Options
  • jambam817_ESO
    jambam817_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP, I've got my Orc Sorcerer to VR6, and I have noticed this over and over (Encase is a skill I always include on my AOE bar).
    Sometimes it works fine, Sometimes the mobs in front partially get rooted while some slip through (in packs less than the AOE limit, like 3-4 mob pulls, 1 may not get rooted while the others do.)
    Because of the high magika cost, its a bummer to have to cast it again to make sure everyone gets hit. I do though, as resource management isn't a huge deal on my Sorc.
    As I'm at work i don't have too much time to theory craft, but could it be an height axis issue, as in mobs at a certain Height difference don't get caught by the spell?
    Perhaps a bug where the AOE limit is not being calculated correctly?
    Or simply Mob Spell resistance and "blocking" or "resisting"
    Or perhaps one more cause. I've noticed sometimes that if the mobs are not engaged in combat or "agro'd" on me, sometimes they won't get rooted with the first cast, and after casting it a second time once i have their attention it works.

Just some thoughts to ponder
    Edited by jambam817_ESO on August 14, 2014 3:48PM
    Options