Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Game pad controls

firebatm
firebatm
I came to ESO on a Mac from Skyrim on a PS3. I purchased a wireless game pad since I was accustomed to playing with one. It appears that their is no capability to use a game pad or joystick with the game on PC/Mac. Are you planning to change this? PLEASE DO!!
Edited by firebatm on March 30, 2014 1:12PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is an Support kb article on this here:

WILL I BE ABLE TO USE A "STANDARD" BLUETOOTH CONTROLLER PLUGGED INTO A PC?

For the Mac most people say that ControllerMate works well and should allow you to use it in ESO.
  • firebatm
    firebatm
    Thanx Moonraker, haven't figured out how to use it yet but I have downloaded it and started to study it.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    firebatm wrote: »
    Thanx Moonraker, haven't figured out how to use it yet but I have downloaded it and started to study it.
    Happy to help. if it does help please click one of the icons at the bottom of my posts as it gives points and will help me increase rating so people can see I am around here often.
  • Hunterkiss
    Yes I use my ps4 controller with ControllerMate because it lets you use button combinations. The program is confusing at first but nothing google cant help you with. I now never have to refer to my keyboard, and have the screen hooked up to my tv. So im basically already getting the ps4 experience ;) quite a set up but well worth it
  • Hunterkiss
    Also the ps4 controller works perfectly bia bluetooth. I have had a bad lagging experience with the ps3 controller via bluetooth but if it works for you go for it
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just a question on tos.. are you allowed to use these macro type programs? I would like to use my gaming keyboard and wondered. Some games don't want you using them. Thanks
    The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just a question on tos.. are you allowed to use these macro type programs? I would like to use my gaming keyboard and wondered. Some games don't want you using them. Thanks
    It's best to raise a ticket and ask the question directly for this specifically, as there always tends to be differing opinion, often based on what's allowed in other games and not ESO.

The ToS are clear on it generally:
    Elder Scrolls Online Code of Conduct.
    5. Security
    5.1 Users are forbidden from using any unapproved third party applications, programs, scripts or any other game modifying mechanic used to change the game play experience on a ZeniMax Game, Service, forum, or other games or services provided by ZeniMax, including the distribution of said programs via ZeniMax services, sites, forums, communities, etc. This would include but is not limited to using or distributing speed hacks, aim bots, mouse controllers, spam bots, automated game play devices, etc. Third party applications are defined as any program, application or script written by an individual, company, corporation, or private party not employed by or contracted to perform services by ZeniMax.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 1, 2014 12:44AM
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would say, that considering the fact that during the BETA ZOS officials were stating over and over and over again that if you wanted to use a controller to play ESO you would have to use a third party emulator program to do so. But they would not support it what so ever if it didn't work right.

Before the forums were wiped clean, there were a couple really good threads on controller emulator mapping examples happening.
    Moonraker wrote: »
    It's best to raise a ticket and ask the question directly for this specifically, as there always tends to be differing opinion, often based on what's allowed in other games and not ESO.

5. Security
    5.1 Users are forbidden from using any unapproved third party applications, programs, scripts or any other game modifying mechanic used to change the game play experience on a ZeniMax Game, Service, forum, or other games or services provided by ZeniMax, including the distribution of said programs via ZeniMax services, sites, forums, communities, etc. This would include but is not limited to using or distributing speed hacks, aim bots, mouse controllers, spam bots, automated game play devices, etc. Third party applications are defined as any program, application or script written by an individual, company, corporation, or private party not employed by or contracted to perform services by ZeniMax.

Far too many characters to list any more.
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can help a little bit for people who want to set up to use a controller. That is what I use to play. Mine specifically is a PS3 Controller.

The first thing you need is a third party program downloaded like Xpadder, Motionjoy or Pinnacle. They contain the emulator drivers in them.

Since I used motionjoy, I also downloaded another program called Better DS3 tool. It was also free and was much easier for doing my own mapping.

Here is what I put in for my controls. Though I have changed them slightly.

ps322_zps8036a026.jpg

These were for movement, directions and camera angles (first or third person) and sneaking.
    Because these are mimicing the mouse and movement in some way, there needs to be a dead zone in the axis otherwise you will have no real control. I put at 55%.

ps311_zpsce014fcd.jpg

Button Controls:

Triangle: I (Inventory)
    Square: E (for communicating with NPC and picking up items)
    Circle: Space (for Jumping)
    Cross: R (for ultimate attack and picking up everything

Select: M (Map)
    Start: H (Horse/Mount)

L1: Right Alt (Exit Menus)
    L2: Mouse Right Button (Attack with magic)

R1: Left Shift (Sprinting)
    R2: Mouse Left Button (Attack with Weapon)

DPAD:

UP: Q (Quick slot)
    DOWN: Comma (Forgot what that was for)
    LEFT: 1 (magic ability slot#1)
    RIGHT: 2 (magic ability slot#2)

The unfortunate thing about using a controller is that you have to be VERY selective in what abilities you are going to use. But once you get things all set, you hardly have to use the keyboard and mouse, although you still will from time to time.

There is also a bit of an issue with your Toon suddenly dodging on you. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to stop this yet. It can get a little annoying so be aware it does happen.

I hope this helps someone.
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really hoping that, come the PS4/Xbone releases, they patch controller support into the PC version. It'd be fantastic to be able to plug in an Xbox or PS controller and have it work by default.
    "It's morally wrong to suggest gameplay changes for an MMO."
    ...seriously, someone told me that once here. The things people will do to win their internet arguments!
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nebthet78 wrote: »
    I can help a little bit for people who want to set up to use a controller. That is what I use to play. Mine specifically is a PS3 Controller.---snip---

Great info. Thanks for posting @Nebthet78. +1 Insightful
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    ShinChuck wrote: »
    I'm really hoping that, come the PS4/Xbone releases, they patch controller support into the PC version. It'd be fantastic to be able to plug in an Xbox or PS controller and have it work by default.
    From their Support article I wouldn't get your hopes up. But anything is possible!
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nebthet78 wrote: »

TYVM! I hadn't considered using a game pad, but this worked really well.

The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • decompiler
    decompiler
    ✭✭✭✭
    @firebatm, if you need any help with ControllerMate, let me know.

My guildmate @justkdn‌ started one of the big 3rd party controller software support threads that @Nebthet78 mentioned above. I wish they hadn't wiped that from the forums (hint, hint, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌! :wink:) because there was a lot of great stuff in that thread, including full profiles and tips for tweaking Pinnacle, MotionJoy, and others including my Xpadder (Windows) and ControllerMate (Mac OS) profiles for the following control scheme:

5pz8jzvizf9j.png

If you're interested, I could provide my ControllerMate files for this layout and/or give some tips on ControllerMate setup for ESO.
    Edited by decompiler on April 2, 2014 5:17AM
    @decompiler
    Councilor of The Moot
    This space intentionally left blank

• Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    decompiler wrote: »
    @firebatm, if you need any help with ControllerMate, let me know.---snip---
    Great to see players posting good info for others to use! ;) +1 Awesome.

• decompiler
    decompiler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, @Moonraker‌. You've gotten several forum points outta me for this thread as well - keep workin' that positive vibe! :smile:
    @decompiler
    Councilor of The Moot

• Djonzemiks
    Hi !
    @decompiler : i'm interested in your files for controllermate, please.
    I just tried to do something....not easy.
  • decompiler
    decompiler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Djonzemiks wrote: »
    Hi !
    @decompiler : i'm interested in your files for controllermate, please.
    I just tried to do something....not easy.
    Heya, @Djonzemiks! Luckily, I've already written up a post about it!

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/65578/how-to-play-eso-on-mac-with-a-controller
    @decompiler
    Councilor of The Moot

• Djonzemiks
    Cool man !! Very complete post ! Many thanks
  • firebatm
    firebatm
    For those of you using a MAC, I have used controller mate with some success, though it is not super user friendly... More recently I have a found a $5 App called Joystick Mapper, very easy to use. I am using a Logitech F710.
  • dacotyub17_ESO
    Firebatm, can you share your joystick mapper profile for your controller? i'm using a steel series controller and i need to create a profile for it from scratch. thanks!!
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep it going in this thread! Some great information being posted. Thanks all :)
  • dacotyub17_ESO
    In case anyone's interested, this is what I have so far preset-wise using Joystick mapper with a Steel Series Controller on a Mac.

THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS! USE at YOUR OWN RISK in ESO...

HOW TO USE:

- Open up joystick mapper and press command-O( the letter O).
    - This will open up a list of preset files in the finder. Create a new text file( name it whatever you want) and paste the code below into it( don't include the asterisk lines):
    {
    "name": "ESO",
    "tag": "ESO",
    "joysticks": [
    {
    "tag": "ESO - Steel Series - ",
    "binds": {
    "axi 3 -": [
    "mou 0 - 15"
    ],
    "axi 3 +": [
    "mou 0 + 15"
    ],
    "axi 2 -": [
    "mou 1 - 15"
    ],
    "axi 2 +": [
    "mou 1 + 14"
    ],
    "axi 1 -": [
    "key 26"
    ],
    "axi 0 -": [
    "key 4"
    ],
    "axi 1 +": [
    "key 22"
    ],
    "axi 0 +": [
    "key 7"
    ],
    "btn 5": [
    "mbt 0"
    ],
    "btn 7": [
    "mbt 1"
    ],
    "btn 0": [
    "key 44"
    ],
    "btn 2": [
    "key 8"
    ],
    "btn 9": [
    "key 12"
    ],
    "btn 1": [
    "key 226"
    ],
    "btn 8": [
    "key 41"
    ],
    "btn 10": [
    "key 225"
    ]
    }
    }
    ]
    }

- Save it in the presets folder and close the text editor.
    - Close the finder window.
    - Inside joystick mapper, press command-R to reload the preset list.
    - You will see a new entry called "ESO". Highlight it and click the wrench icon. you will see all the bindings, which I have tested and they work in ESO with the steel series controller.
    - Add whatever bindings you want to it and test it out!It's pretty easy, just add a new bind, click the "scan" button and press something, then map it to whatever you want the button to be.

I hope this helps out anyone using joystick mapper. It's been working okay for me so far, however i'm not real happy with this steel series controller.

If you have any mods to this file that work, please post the code and share as you wish.
  • ihateyoubetter
    ihateyoubetter
    Soul Shriven

5. Security

• Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scroll up to Nebthet78' post if you wanna try a gamepad. I am using his deal with my ps4. Downloading the two programs and set up was about 15 minutes tops.

It''s been working great. Just tweaked a couple buttons on the set up to fit my style. I am guessing you will want to change the set up as your char grows anyway. Just for finger memory sake.

Thanks again for the post man.
  • ihateyoubetter
    ihateyoubetter
    Soul Shriven
    i paid $70.00 for this game and i cant use a controler,you can on skyrim.so for that reason i have refused to play the game and i will cancle my on line membership.for 15.00 a month i should have a choice to use a mouse or a controler.so this game wont be played to i can use a controler,and if it dosent happen so i will just put the game in the garbage can.get it together bethesda/zenimax.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭

5. Security
    Not sure why you are quoting this with no text? This refers specifically to a question regarding use of macros, not game controllers which is fine.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    i paid $70.00 for this game and i cant use a controler,you can on skyrim.so for that reason i have refused to play the game and i will cancle my on line membership.for 15.00 a month i should have a choice to use a mouse or a controler.so this game wont be played to i can use a controler,and if it dosent happen so i will just put the game in the garbage can.get it together bethesda/zenimax.
    There is a lot of good information on how to use the game with controllers already in this thread. They even say that is can be used with no problem:
    The PC and Mac versions of The Elder Scrolls Online are optimized for use with a mouse and keyboard. ESO does not officially support bluetooth controllers, but any of a number of commercially available emulators will allow players to use controllers if they so choose.
    They never said it would provide built in controller support.
  • deheartb14_ESO
    This is a game practically designed for gamepad controller support. What I mean is that last night I personally easily managed to configure xpadder to easily play the game with my Logitech f510 with 3 different profiles, (a lot easier with combat when using a controller btw).

I have also installed gamecontroller ControllerMate on my mac and am adjusting the buttons to match my desktop xpadder profile. Thanks to Decompiler for that tutorial :)

I have tried on several other mmo games to use a gamepad, ESO was so easy to setup and use that I honestly don't think the developers/administrators were in their right mind not having built in official game pad support.

The whole, "Optimized for mouse/keyboard use" excuse doesn't work with this game. Especially with the game actually coming out for console soon.

PS. Other than the whole botter/exploiter problem, this is my only real problem/complaint with this game so don't think that I am hating the game in any way, shape or form.
    Edited by deheartb14_ESO on April 26, 2014 6:35PM
    This is my Signature, but not really because I didn't sign it with a pen and its not my name.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really good to hear your experiences with the controller support @deheartb14_ESO. Thanks for sharing. I'm thinking of having a go myself sometime. I don't normally use a game pad but it would be interesting just how it works in ESO.