The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How to spec??

Johnny_NO_skillz
Johnny_NO_skillz
✭✭✭
I'm a level 7 Templar literally just upgrading what I feel like upgrading. I find it really overwhelming when I watch people on youtube who have been playing the game for as long as me and they are speaking in esoteric terms that I don't understand as they steam roll dungeons and dark anchors...

How do I spec?? Stupid question but really? First MMO here... no idea where to even begin...
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, this is a great place to start. A lot of people found it helpful with starting out.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/63690/the-new-character-what-skill-to-take-guide
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    Pick the skills you like, play with them, respec if necessary later on. Always spec towards something you feel fits your play style. If you're discussing attribute points, then I recommend mostly health, and maybe some magicka or stamina, depending on whether you feel like relying on weapon skills (such as bow) or your class skills (all magicka).

Really you just need pick a play style that you enjoy, and any decisions you make should supplement that play style in some fashion.
  • Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also head to the mechanics discussion here http://tamrielfoundry.com/forums/ for some great builds made by players who've been playing Templar for over a year. Plenty of food for thought. Good luck with it and have fun! :)
  • Johnny_NO_skillz
    Johnny_NO_skillz
    ✭✭✭
    Hawke wrote: »
    Honestly, this is a great place to start. A lot of people found it helpful with starting out.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/63690/the-new-character-what-skill-to-take-guide

I've read.. but it's not deep enough... I need to know how to do a build.

• dagnome
    dagnome
    ✭✭✭
    Realistically at lvl 7 don't worry to much about it. With the amount of skill points you can get through skyshards you can pretty much unlock every skill on a toon, I mean heck, you can get about 15 skill points just from the skyshards in cyrodiil.
    Edited by dagnome on April 3, 2014 8:31PM
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Johnny_NO_skillz well it allows you to figure out what feels comfortable for you with weapons and armor and get xp to spec into that.

Remember, classes do not matter, you dont even have to use a single class skill.
  • Johnny_NO_skillz
    Johnny_NO_skillz
    ✭✭✭
    Right but when PvE comes, aren't people going to be super specific in what they look for in group members?

Ugh... I'm on the fence about this game - it feels like ES, but all the theorycrafting makes it feel like any other MMO. Am I wrong?
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Johnny_NO_skillz you are wrong :smile: but you are right too. There is the holy trinity (as that guide states) and that any character class can be filling any role in the game.

What matters is the abilities you have in your hotbar, weapon and armor you wear.

If you want to be a sorcerer Tank, you can do it. Dragonknight healer, you can, and be just as good as anyone else.
  • Johnny_NO_skillz
    Johnny_NO_skillz
    ✭✭✭
    Hawke wrote: »
    @Johnny_NO_skillz you are wrong :smile: but you are right too. There is the holy trinity (as that guide states) and that any character class can be filling any role in the game.

What matters is the abilities you have in your hotbar, weapon and armor you wear.

If you want to be a sorcerer Tank, you can do it. Dragonknight healer, you can, and be just as good as anyone else.

What skill morphs though? :pensive:
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    That guide is not about what skills to take. It is about how to figure out what skills to take on your own.

The morphs, you are gonna need to look at the information on them, and say to yourself "can I justify this skill point and will I see myself using this skill?"

You can train in the first skill in the class line and the very last one, without taking anything else in between.

For weapons, you can take any skill you want. It's all about choice, which is what makes this game unique.