The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Crown Store Pop-Up Ad Keeps Coming Back

ThatNeonZebraAgain
ThatNeonZebraAgain
✭✭✭✭✭
Seems like traveling via Wayshrine usually brings it up again after you have already closed it. Same character/account, same login session.
Gore-of-the-Forest Argonian Nightblade
Wode Earthrender Breton Dragonknight
Ceol the Last Baron Redguard Dragonknight
Wayra High Elf Sorceress
Erebain Salothran Dark Elf Templar
Rituals-of-the-Forest Argonian Warden
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get it every time I log on, even though that is not supposed to happen <.<
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • Sentinel
    Sentinel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yup, the crown store ad pops up when i enter a new instance like a delve or dungeon. Im not a fan of getting in game prompts to buy their crown items. They already advertise elsewhere, i don't think in game ads are necessary, and personally i find them VERY annoying. Even without the constant popups.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't like it. You would have thought after the pop up on screen message debacle last time that we made ourselves quite clear that we didn't want any pop up adverts of any kind for the store.
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Hiero_Glyph
    Hiero_Glyph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't like it. You would have thought after the pop up on screen message debacle last time that we made ourselves quite clear that we didn't want any pop up adverts of any kind for the store.

Don't worry, I'm sure ZOS will disable in-game advertising if you have an active ESO+ account.

EDIT: What's sad is that after all the requests for more in-game information and the response from ZOS that it would break immersion, we are left with a feature that blatantly breaks immersion and adds nothing to the quality of the game.
    Edited by Hiero_Glyph on October 8, 2015 7:11PM
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't worry, I'm sure ZOS will disable in-game advertising if you have an active ESO+ account.

EDIT: What's sad is that after all the requests for more in-game information and the response from ZOS that it would break immersion, we are left with a feature that blatantly breaks immersion and adds nothing to the quality of the game.

Yea, you're probably right with this; ad-free premium experience is a common sales point for subscription services. When the outrage occurred over the big system-wide crown store advertisements happened, people came up with all sorts of ingenious ways to embed Crown Store advertising into the gameworld (eg put the feature mounts in stables). Of course, that takes more time/work to implement, but the end result is arguably much better for player experience.
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
  • ZOS_RichLambert
    ZOS_RichLambert
    Creative Director
    It's a bug. It's only supposed to show up once. (per account) Then only show up when something changes on the store.
    Rich Lambert
    Creative Director - The Elder Scrolls Online
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube
    Staff Post
  • ItsMeToo
    ItsMeToo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to see it even once.
    FYI - There is no such thing as 'night capping' in a world wide MMO.
    FYI - There was no paid Beta. When they launched the game the Beta was over, even if you don't think it was.
    FYI - It's B2P not F2P. There is a difference.
    FYI - It doesn't take any player skill to mash keys or buttons in this game. The ones that stay alive longer have the better internet connection and speed.
    FYI - The game is not broken, it still works. It just has 'bugs' that need to be fixed.
    Balance is a "Bad" thing.

Example: There were hundreds of Jedi and only two Sith in Star Wars. The Jedi wanted, "Balance in the Force" and they got it. Now there are only two Jedi and two Sith.

Balance is a "Bad" thing.
    Is the glass half full or half empty?
    I say, "Get a smaller glass."
  • kuscoe
    kuscoe
    ✭✭✭
    ItsMeToo wrote: »

• Hiero_Glyph
    Hiero_Glyph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a bug. It's only supposed to show up once. (per account) Then only show up when something changes on the store.

Except advertising in-game with pop-ups is a F2P strategy that will infuriate your paying customers. Most F2P games/apps also allow you to disable the adds with a premium membership of some type. How can we disable them in ESO since we all had to purchase the base game?
  • Yattaq
    Yattaq
    ✭✭✭

Except advertising in-game with pop-ups is a F2P strategy that will infuriate your paying customers. Most F2P games/apps also allow you to disable the adds with a premium membership of some type. How can we disable them in ESO since we all had to purchase the base game?

Every time a mount is taken off the store, people miss it and complain about it. That's why something like this exists. It doesn't interrupt your play session like that server-wide spam they did before. It's no more intrusive than the messages that are displayed after patches saying your skills have been reset. Your comparison to F2P games and apps is a stretch, many of those have persistent ads that you can't get rid of, or they insert ads in the middle of gameplay.
  • NovaShadow
    NovaShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind it as long as the current bug is fixed. Once I click the x I expect it to not appear again unless something is added to the store. What its doing now is too annoying.
    PC NA - EPHS
  • SleepyTroll
    SleepyTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be cool if a currier ran up to you once a month when they added new items and handed you an TES style brochure instead of this bland ***.
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be cool if a currier ran up to you once a month when they added new items and handed you an TES style brochure instead of this bland ***.

Now THAT is a great idea.
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
  • Pangnirtung
    Pangnirtung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every NEW dungeon that I enter gets the crown store display.
  • DarthRupert
    DarthRupert
    ✭✭✭

I honestly don't think this is a good idea, with ESO being such an immersive mmo. Almost any type of non-game changing pop-up will just annoy and anger the vast majority of ESO's player base. And that will include the non-premium members as well.

Now speaking for myself and likely other premium members...
    Please, please, please for the love of Malacath Please do not force me to view/close a pop-up. I understand that it is informative (heck I didn't even know there was a goat pet); but this will make me incredibly annoyed anytime I see it, even if it's only once every 2-3 months.

This could be done so much more discreetly, while still informing people. Some more immersive ideas like an in-game notice board, or a currier (as @SleepyTroll stated) would at least make it much less intrusive. Even sending it as a notification or mail would be loads better than having it be a pop-up. Most people don't even like pop-ups when they are necessary, let alone an advertisement. It really is a bit disheartening to see an in-game pop-up advertisement. And I honestly think the team can find a better and less intrusive way of displaying crown store information.

ps. Sorry if this was a bit ranty. This type of addition just makes me very uneasy. Please only take it as a passionate player's feedback.
    Edited by DarthRupert on October 9, 2015 4:15AM
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen it at all, and was wondering where it was. Is it missing from template characters?
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one time too many. If you HAVE to do that, at least make it a toggle for ESO Plus subs. One more added benefit.. ESO Plus, now with AdBlock!

• HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pop up purchase advertisement is annoying, ESPECIALLY when folks are coming back from a crash. It also seems to be rubbing your nose in about buying things. Please consider doing the following instead:

- give players the option to turn off the shop notifier entirely (preferred)
    - give us the ability to set a threshold (only inform me of items going away in X days)
    - improve your launcher to advertise your items and give prices. No point to say "new items in the crown store" there when you can show them!
    - make the pop up occur during load screens, and let folks browse (but not preview) the store in loading screens.
    - send a mail with some Roleplay advertising the new items inviting folks to use the crown store. This is something that ESO has done well with its hirelings, it's customer service, etc. It's an underutilized resource.

No need to make the advertising obnoxious, this doesn’t have to be as bad as GW2 was
    Herfi Driderkitty of the Aldmeri Dominion
    Find me on : Twitch | Youtube | Twitter | Reddit
  • i3ig_Gun
    i3ig_Gun
    ✭✭✭

i 100% agree, this is terrible marketing, taking the immersion factor out of the game and shoving a damned advertisement in our faces asking for more money.
    Edited by i3ig_Gun on October 11, 2015 7:23PM
    XBOX ONE - NA
    GT: i3ig Gun
    Legion of Many - Daggerfall Covenant
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I rarely use the word hate but it applies to this 'feature'...
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Ylikollikas
    Ylikollikas
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone should calm down about crown store ads. I'm sure we'll see addon that can block them...

They never allowed us to turn off trial notifications? There is addon to block them.

They never allowed us to turn off our character turning around awkwardly each time we open inventory? There is addon to fix that.
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This. Especially as a subscribed player. If I want to see things in the crown shop I know where to look.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Everyone should calm down about crown store ads. I'm sure we'll see addon that can block them...

They never allowed us to turn off trial notifications? There is addon to block them.

They never allowed us to turn off our character turning around awkwardly each time we open inventory? There is addon to fix that.

Hey! Keep you well reasoned and logical arguments out of these forums... this is for pitchforks and angry mobs of peasants only!
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    I haven't seen it at all, and was wondering where it was. Is it missing from template characters?

So it turned up when I next logged in. I guess it just doesn't appear when you first create a template. I must say it's a lot more intrusive than I thought it would be, in a
    LOOK HERE! WE SELL STUFF TO YOU NOW!
    kinda way.

I would agree with what others have said that being subbed to ESO Plus should disable it. I would also like to see an option for anyone to disable it from the settings menu; having an add-on to disable it is all well and good for PC, but is no use for people on console.

On the other hand, this method is more preferable than using the system message, which they tried before. I just want to be able to turn it off if I choose to do so.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp