The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

CP Cap and Xp Scaling

• Hiero_Glyph
    Hiero_Glyph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ezareth wrote: »
    OGLezard wrote: »
    Paulington wrote: »
    I've added a lot to the spreadsheet and I think an important thing to realise is that whilst the XP required per CP is more than 400k after 338 CP, it is faster to get to 501 from zero CP under the new system than the old system.

Pre-2.2 cumulative XP from 0 CP to 501 CP: 200,400,000 XP.
    Post-2.2 cumulative XP from 0 CP to 501 CP: 153,010,170 XP.

This means you need to gain 47 million XP less under the new system than the old. However this doesn't take into account those currently above 338 CP.

XP required 338-501 new system: 79,790,187 XP.
    XP required 338-501 old system: 65,200,000 XP.

It is slower in the new system above 338 CP however before that it's a lot quicker.

If you are currently around the ~340 CP mark, do some grinding. You're better off getting to 501 CP under the current system than the new one.

The problem remains that for players above 200 million CP exp, their gains are incrementally better than anyone attempting the same gains after the system is implemented. ZOS just needs to own up to the fact that they waited 8 months to fix what was reported as a problem during PTS in February. They need to rescale everyone according to the new system. Account for enlightenment since CP were implemented( ~260 CP at 100k each), give players the bonus ~70 CP, and make all other CP based on the new scale. ZOS made a huge mistake with CP initially and the least they can do is fix it for everyone equally even if it costs them to do so.

@ZOS_RichLambert have you guys considered rescaling everyone to match the new system to bring everything into line? Seriously, this needs to happen. It might not be a popular idea, but you can compensate the 23/7 grinders/account sharers. No offense to anyone who did nothing but eso with their lives.

This actually fixes your issues with the CP system perfectly over time and really screws the people who grinded over the most regardless. Everything they've earned over the cap and everything they're earning while at cap is effectively devalued. The Champion System should be renamed the Communism System.

No, it doesn't. Every player will still have exactly the same total CP exp before the update as they will after the change. They will get every single point of exp that they grinded. What will change is that after the update the amount of CP this exp unlocks will be greatly reduced. Keep in mind that this amount of CP will still be over the cap so they won't have access to any of it but can still earn CP at the new rate. How is that not fair? It's literally the same for everyone regardless of how much grinding was done before the update, it just uses the new CP exp scale instead of the old 400k per point system.

EDIT: To be clear, 800 million CP exp is ~2,000 CP before the update. After the update, 800 million CP exp will be more like ~1,000 CP (lower I think). Giving them ~1,000 CP for free isn't fair as they never earned that much total CP exp. All of the CP exp should just be convereted to the new scale and adjust the number of CP unlocked accordingly.

EDIT_2: If anyone wants to run the actual numbers feel free, mine are just guesstimates and I purposely neglected enlightenment and starting CP values.
    Edited by Hiero_Glyph on October 7, 2015 9:19PM
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I for one am fine with people who spent their *Time* on something in a game being rewarded for their time. I know people who have perfectly traited Molag Kena sets and Power Cure because they've spent the past month grinding it. That's the nature of MMOs.

I am fine with it too, and this is the most common and valid argument I see.

The difference here is that once you've got that best in slot, you're effectively capped and people with less play time can catch up. When gear is obsoleted, best in slot becomes second best in slot, and people can catch up. You get my point. There are limits on how much stronger you can get in any given span of time.

With the champion system in it's current form there is no reachable cap which rewards people who do absolutely nothing else but play ESO all day. That is just one problem with CP, there are many others. For example high cp players effectively take -25% damage from everything on top of the absurd battle spirit -50% making competent high cp players nigh impossible to kill solo while inside the space of half an hour.

Edited by Xeven on October 7, 2015 9:21PM
  • silky_soft
    silky_soft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At rank 543 I need 1,870,740 xp to 544, if that helps any.
    rokrdt05 wrote: »
    To earn my 698th champ point, I'll need... 2,377,344 XP.
    I've added a lot to the spreadsheet and I think an important thing to realise is that whilst the XP required per CP is more than 400k after 338 CP, it is faster to get to 501 from zero CP under the new system than the old system.

This means you need to gain 47 million XP less under the new system than the old. However this doesn't take into account those currently above 338 CP.

It is slower in the new system above 338 CP however before that it's a lot quicker.

If you are currently around the ~340 CP mark, do some grinding. You're better off getting to 501 CP under the current system than the new one.

The problem remains that for players above 200 million CP exp, their gains are incrementally better than anyone attempting the same gains after the system is implemented. ZOS just needs to own up to the fact that they waited 8 months to fix what was reported as a problem during PTS in February. They need to rescale everyone according to the new system. Account for enlightenment since CP were implemented( ~260 CP at 100k each), give players the bonus ~70 CP, and make all other CP based on the new scale. ZOS made a huge mistake with CP initially and the least they can do is fix it for everyone equally even if it costs them to do so.

@ZOS_RichLambert have you guys considered rescaling everyone to match the new system to bring everything into line? Seriously, this needs to happen. It might not be a popular idea, but you can compensate the 23/7 grinders/account sharers. No offense to anyone who did nothing but eso with their lives.

This actually fixes your issues with the CP system perfectly over time and really screws the people who grinded over the most regardless. Everything they've earned over the cap and everything they're earning while at cap is effectively devalued. The Champion System should be renamed the Communism System.

Rescaling would be no different to balancing a skill set or a gear set.

Would of been so much more simple to cap it, remove enlightenment for over cap, multiply enlightenment in stage below cap and leave rest.
    Here $15, goat mount please. Not paying 45 : lol :
    Netch is free with a cleanse and free magika. You nerf siphon into the ground. Nice balance team.
    How do you go home every night and say, I did a great job at work today. You actually do your job properly.
    Step 1: roll templar. Step 2: level up jabs. Step 3: slap on weapon damage build. Step 4: que for bg. Step 5: leap...jabsjabsjabsjabs
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

No, it doesn't. Every player will still have exactly the same total CP exp before the update as they will after the change. They will get every single point of exp that they grinded. What will change is that after the update the amount of CP this exp unlocks will be greatly reduced. Keep in mind that this amount of CP will still be over the cap so they won't have access to any of it but can still earn CP at the new rate. How is that not fair? It's literally the same for everyone regardless of how much grinding was done before the update, it just uses the new CP exp scale instead of the old 400k per point system.

EDIT: To be clear, 800 million CP exp is ~2,000 CP before the update. After the update, 800 million CP exp will be more like ~1,000 CP (lower I think). Giving them ~1,000 CP for free isn't fair as they never earned that much total CP exp. All of the CP exp should just be convereted to the new scale and adjust the number of CP unlocked accordingly.

EDIT_2: If anyone wants to run the actual numbers feel free, mine are just guesstimates and I purposely neglected enlightenment and starting CP values.

It does, let's do a comparison.

Let's say I get to 500 CPs and someone else is at 1600 CPs on Patch launch and that each "Season" adds 300 CPs to the cap and last 3 months.

For arguments sake lets say from here on out we both start playing exactly equally and earn 800K exp per day or 72 million exp for that season.

At 500 CPs I'm going to be earning my next 100 CPs over the course of the next 3 months at a rate of 600 - 1 million ExP each. The 1600 CP player however is going to be earning *his* at 4 million + each and will only add 18 to his total.

Next season hits. I'm at 600 CPs. Next Cap is 800. I'm going to earning my CPs at a rate between 400K each to 600K each, getting ~150 CPs before the season ends.

The 1618 CP player will be earning his CPs at a rate of 3-3.5 million CPs each and will get ~22 Cps.

What I'm saying is basically with the way this system is design, everyone who is an active player is going to catch up to the grinders and there is very little that can humanly do to maintain their CP lead due to the way it is scaling.

Basically all of those CPs they ground have been devalued to the point of near worthlessness. People like me in the 400-500 CP range are actually in the best position numerically and strategically. We'll have the exact same strength as the massive CP grinder and the penalty we're given will remain relatively light.

The players who aren't near cap right now with the way the system is designed as of now will catch up somewhat, but will still never get close to the cap as each season progresses.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    silky_soft wrote: »
    At rank 543 I need 1,870,740 xp to 544, if that helps any.
    rokrdt05 wrote: »
    To earn my 698th champ point, I'll need... 2,377,344 XP.

Rescaling would be no different to balancing a skill set or a gear set.

Would of been so much more simple to cap it, remove enlightenment for over cap, multiply enlightenment in stage below cap and leave rest.

Yeah I've been suggesting that myself for some time. The Hard Cap should be much higher, and a "Soft cap" should be implemented somewhat below the hard cap where you stop earning enlightenment. And people far below the soft cap are *permanently* enlightened

I don't know if any of you remember the times when enlightenment was giving you 4 enlightened points a day but those few days were *Fun* as you had a huge sense of accomplishment and progression.

I think that system would have been the best way to fix the CP problem.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Let's say I get to 500 CPs and someone else is at 1600 CPs on Patch launch and that each "Season" adds 300 CPs to the cap and last 3 months.

For arguments sake lets say from here on out we both start playing exactly equally and earn 800K exp per day or 72 million exp for that season.

At 500 CPs I'm going to be earning my next 100 CPs over the course of the next 3 months at a rate of 600 - 1 million ExP each. The 1600 CP player however is going to be earning *his* at 4 million + each and will only add 18 to his total.

Next season hits. I'm at 600 CPs. Next Cap is 800. I'm going to earning my CPs at a rate between 400K each to 600K each, getting ~150 CPs before the season ends.

The 1618 CP player will be earning his CPs at a rate of 3-3.5 million CPs each and will get ~22 Cps.

What I'm saying is basically with the way this system is design, everyone who is an active player is going to catch up to the grinders and there is very little that can humanly do to maintain their CP lead due to the way it is scaling.

Basically all of those CPs they ground have been devalued to the point of near worthlessness. People like me in the 400-500 CP range are actually in the best position numerically and strategically. We'll have the exact same strength as the massive CP grinder and the penalty we're given will remain relatively light.

The players who aren't near cap right now with the way the system is designed as of now will catch up somewhat, but will still never get close to the cap as each season progresses.

Ez, these are cherry picked examples. I expect better analysis from you.

If the system for CP scaling stays as it currently is, the players with the lead will have earned their CPs for dramatically lower amounts of xp than the people catching up. Their time will have been more efficiently spent. When you consider that top CP players probably played more and or utilized their time more efficiently, regardless, I don't see people ever really "catching" them. Sure, we will all get to the 500 CP breakpoint. But once you're beyond 700 the lead in terms of total xp is just enormous. The delta between CP totals will shrink, to be sure. But what I expect ZOS will do is lower the xp required for CPs during each season. Thus players ahead will stay ahead.
  • ClikC
    ClikC
    ✭✭✭
    So basically as it stands, CP cap is yet another "Good idea, poorly implemented". Statement that sums up every implemented system in this game.

Seriously, it should NOT be made harder to catch up with people 501+ CP, what are you people even thinking here?

ClikC - Insane Lockpicking Murderer.

Momento Mori. Troll Patrol. Exterminatus. SatGNU.
  • Hiero_Glyph
    Hiero_Glyph
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We are actually arguing different things so I'm sorry if I missed your point. I agree that players with higher CP will get devalued over time but they will also have less grinding to do as the CP exp requirement continues to increase. Depending on how enlightenment will work, they may actually be able to sustain their lead above cap fairly easily. It will diminish over time of course, but not by a significant amount depending on how much advantage they had initially.

Also, we don't know how ZOS will rescale CP each season but it seems that they will adjust the CP exp back towards the 400k per point average over time. So as the game progresses, the amount of total CP exp required to reach 3,600 will also decrease (for players significantly below the cap anyway). For players actively playing this value will remain fairly constant. Given the new CP scaling however, the amount a normal player will gain will be drastically reduced so what would be a ~225 CP per season will quickly drop to ~150 with only enlightenment sustaining the pace. The point being that in a year just from enlightenment a player will net ~360 CP. If a player has 1,000+ CP they will be capped in under 5 years, which seems like a long time but is far shorter than someone gaining CP at the adjusted rate since they require another year or two to make up that initial gap.

EDIT: The more I think about it the more enlightenment becomes an issue over time to the point that is becomes all that really matters. Hopefully ZOS can address this as well before it becomes problematic but I doubt they even see the potential issue it will cause.
    Edited by Hiero_Glyph on October 7, 2015 10:38PM
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ishammael wrote: »

If the system for CP scaling stays as it currently is, the players with the lead will have earned their CPs for dramatically lower amounts of xp than the people catching up. Their time will have been more efficiently spent. When you consider that top CP players probably played more and or utilized their time more efficiently, regardless, I don't see people ever really "catching" them. Sure, we will all get to the 500 CP breakpoint. But once you're beyond 700 the lead in terms of total xp is just enormous. The delta between CP totals will shrink, to be sure. But what I expect ZOS will do is lower the xp required for CPs during each season. Thus players ahead will stay ahead.

It's not a cherry picked number, it's an example I created to allow someone to understand how the maths works in a partilar case. I modeled the numbers roughly (not exactly) around the existing formula to make it easier for you to visualize in your head.

I'm a numbers guy. I do all my math in my head and have done so my whole life. I can't write out all the steps out for you but I can visualize the way numbers behave in complex scenarios which is why I've always been a good theorycrafter. I'm not about to spend the time modelling everything out exactly for you but the way it works is the way I explained it.

Players who are at or just beyond the CP cap at the launch of Osrinium will slowly catch up to (but never pass) the people who grinded 1000+ CPs if they continue to play at the rate they have been playing.

It doesn't matter how "cheap" the players got their first 1-2K CPs. The cost for any CPs beyond that is exponentially higher than the cost of those who are near the season cap itself.

CP grinders may be able to hold onto a 100-200 CP lead by maintaining their arduous level of grinding but they'll never again see the benefit of it.

For all intents and purposes...they're screwed.
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So basically as it stands, CP cap is yet another "Good idea, poorly implemented". Statement that sums up every implemented system in this game.

Seriously, it should NOT be made harder to catch up with people 501+ CP, what are you people even thinking here?

It will not be harder to catch up to people with 501+ CPs....it will only be harder to pass them.
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It's not a cherry picked number, it's an example I created to allow someone to understand how the maths works in a partilar case. I modeled the numbers roughly (not exactly) around the existing formula to make it easier for you to visualize in your head.

I'm a numbers guy. I do all my math in my head and have done so my whole life. I can't write out all the steps out for you but I can visualize the way numbers behave in complex scenarios which is why I've always been a good theorycrafter. I'm not about to spend the time modelling everything out exactly for you but the way it works is the way I explained it.

Players who are at or just beyond the CP cap at the launch of Osrinium will slowly catch up to (but never pass) the people who grinded 1000+ CPs if they continue to play at the rate they have been playing.

It doesn't matter how "cheap" the players got their first 1-2K CPs. The cost for any CPs beyond that is exponentially higher than the cost of those who are near the season cap itself.

CP grinders may be able to hold onto a 100-200 CP lead by maintaining their arduous level of grinding but they'll never again see the benefit of it.

For all intents and purposes...they're screwed.

We will have to wait and see. I expect that ZoS will slide the CP price down every time they increase the cap.
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It will not be harder to catch up to people with 501+ CPs....it will only be harder to pass them.

This is basically what I'm getting at. It will be close to impossible to even catch, much less pass. Especially if you're alrdy 700+. Regardless, see previous post
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

We are actually arguing different things so I'm sorry if I missed your point. I agree that players with higher CP will get devalued over time but they will also have less grinding to do as the CP exp requirement continues to increase. Depending on how enlightenment will work, they may actually be able to sustain their lead above cap fairly easily. It will diminish over time of course, but not by a significant amount depending on how much advantage they had initially.

Also, we don't know how ZOS will rescale CP each season but it seems that they will adjust the CP exp back towards the 400k per point average over time. So as the game progresses, the amount of total CP exp required to reach 3,600 will also decrease (for players significantly below the cap anyway). For players actively playing this value will remain fairly constant. Given the new CP scaling however, the amount a normal player will gain will be drastically reduced so what would be a ~225 CP per season will quickly drop to ~150 with only enlightenment sustaining the pace. The point being that in a year just from enlightenment a player will net ~360 CP. If a player has 1,000+ CP they will be capped in under 5 years, which seems like a long time but is far shorter than someone gaining CP at the adjusted rate since they require another year or two to make up that initial gap.

EDIT: The more I think about it the more enlightenment becomes an issue over time to the point that is becomes all that really matters. Hopefully ZOS can address this as well before it becomes problematic but I doubt they even see the potential issue it will cause.

It appears you think that the existing CP gain formula is static. It is (obviously) not. The cost of gaining a CP at specific levels is something that will change from season to season, not increase exponentially from here on out.
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Since one someone hits 338 cp they will be required to earn more than 400k per rank. Which means they will be earning cp slower than they currently are on live, and if they are already much further behind on live that generally means they will be even slower as soon as they hit 338.
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    zornyan wrote: »

Since one someone hits 338 cp they will be required to earn more than 400k per rank. Which means they will be earning cp slower than they currently are on live, and if they are already much further behind on live that generally means they will be even slower as soon as they hit 338.

Yes but the increase from 338 to 500 is only at most <50%.

The increase for the people over 1000 CPs right now is 400%+.

Plus the vast majority of players right now are far below 338 CPs and will begin (and probably always end up) earning their CPs at a much accelerated pace as the seasons progress.

It's actually a socially accurate depiction of a "Fair" (Communist/Progressive) system. Something that incentivizes players who do very little while punishing players who do too much in the same token.
    Edited by Ezareth on October 7, 2015 10:53PM
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Eh, let me try to explain.

PLAYER 1: Starts with 400 CP and earns 800k XP per day.
    PLAYER 2: Starts with 900 CP and earns 800k XP per day.

So, 30 days post-Orsinium launch:

PLAYER 1: Has earned 24,000,000 XP and is now CP Rank 448.
    PLAYER 2: Has earned 24,000,000 XP and is now CP Rank 907.

Now, 90-days post-Orsinium launch:

PLAYER 1: Has earned 48,000,000 XP and is now CP Rank 510.
    PLAYER 2: Has nearned 48,000,000 XP and is now CP Rank 916.

Now, you see, whilst player 1 may have earned 110 CP and player 2 16 CP, player 1 is having to earn so much more XP than Player 2 had to for the same amount of CP pre-2.2. He has caught up by 94 CP but those returns are diminishing. To see how, let's step forward another 240 days, so one whole year post-Orsinium.

So, 360-days post Orsinium launch:

PLAYER 1: Has earned 192,000,000 XP and is now CP rank 609.
    PLAYER 2: Has earned 192,000,000 XP and is now CP Rank 967.

So, player 1 has caught up by a total of 142 CP over the course of a year playing every single day and it took a total of 288,000,000 XP to get there. If this was the old system that amount of XP would have gotten him from 400 CP to 1,119 CP. Here you can see how much easier it is to get CP currently and why this system is giving an advantage to those with higher CP. The lower CP people will never actually "catch up" to those with a huge lead in CP.

Or let me put it in even simpler terms, time spent. Let's assume Player 1 and Player 2 also earned 800k XP a day and figure out how long it will take to get their ranks.

PLAYER 1: Was rank 400 and it took him 200 days to get there.
    PLAYER 2: Was rank 900 and it took him 450 days to get there.

Now let's look at 360 days post-Orsinium.

PLAYER 1: Is now rank 609 and it took him 560 days to get there.
    PLAYER 2: Is now rank 968 and it took him 810 days to get there.

Let's go even further, where will Player 1 be after 810 days?

PLAYER 1: After 810 days will be CP Rank 698.

Do you see the issue? Same time invested, same XP gained each day and yet even if Player 2 stopped playing Player 1 is still 270 Champion Points behind. It takes far more time per champion point after the Orsinium patch so those that earned those CP pre-Orsinium had a much easier time of it and have a lasting advantage over those that didn't.

Obviously this is a strict example and will be totally different as 360 days post-Orsinium the cap will have been raised at least twice I expect which vastly alters XP required.
    Edited by Paulington on October 7, 2015 11:05PM
  • ahstin2001nub18_ESO

i was really curious of of this information so thanks for posting it.

i am a bit frustrated that my guess was 400 points was the drop off, but seems 360 is. which may mean the intent of the system is to get players TOO 360 and try and keep em there, so they don't progress as fast as before. which would conclude its only a limited catch-up, and not a full fledge catch-up mechanism. which would kinda make sense if the player average was 360 and they wanted to prolong the life of the current champion system (without having to update it), they would make it so its easy to get from "a" to "b", but not to "b" to "c"; a being 0; b being player average/360; c being 501+. if that is the case then the system is designed to both speed you up but slow you down; which means those ahead, stay ahead where as those behind will stay behind..... i don't see that its going to help in any way, shape, or form.... at least not the players.

i don't know if that made sense.....
    Edited by ahstin2001nub18_ESO on October 7, 2015 11:02PM
    I will work. I will save. I will sacrifice. I will endure. I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the whole issue of the struggle depended on me alone.

Martin A. Treptow
    1894-1918
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Now, you see, whilst player 1 may have earned 110 CP and player 2 16 CP, player 1 is having to earn so much more XP than Player 2 had to for the same amount of CP pre-2.2. He has caught up by 94 CP but those returns are diminishing. To see how, let's step forward another 240 days, so one whole year post-Orsinium.

So, player 1 has caught up by a total of 142 CP over the course of a year playing every single day and it took a total of 288,000,000 XP to get there. If this was the old system that amount of XP would have gotten him from 400 CP to 1,119 CP. Here you can see how much easier it is to get CP currently and why this system is giving an advantage to those with higher CP. The lower CP people will never actually "catch up" to those with a huge lead in CP.

Or let me put it in even simpler terms, time spent. Let's assume Player 1 and Player 2 also earned 800k XP a day and figure out how long it will take to get their ranks.

Do you see the issue? Same time invested, same XP gained each day and yet even if Player 2 stopped playing Player 1 is still 270 Champion Points behind. It takes far more time per champion point after the Orsinium patch so those that earned those CP pre-Orsinium had a much easier time of it and have a lasting advantage over those that didn't.

Obviously this is a strict example and will be totally different as 360 days post-Orsinium the cap will have been raised at least twice I expect which vastly alters XP required.

Thank you Joy, for writing this out.
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The problem is you are assuming (IMO wrongly) that the season system is Static. If it were you would be correct and I wouldn't be making my point. The design of the system itself however lends itself to make players in the bottom ~ 2/3rds of the Seasonal cap earn champion points a discounted rate, players in the top 1/3rd under the cap at a slight increase and players Over the cap at an exponentially increasing rate.

As long as each season follows this rough guideline then the players with the most CPs right now are in effect screwed. They're going to always remain ahead of everyone else, but the exp they earn from here on out is going to be in effect worthless and they will likely never earn another CP at a rate of less than double what they are earning them today.

This system actually rewards players the most for staying under the ~2/3rds mark for the seasonal cap, which I'm fine with since it drastically reduces the barrier of entry for newer players and is indeed a fair "catchup" mechanic.
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We will have to wait and see. I expect that ZoS will slide the CP price down every time they increase the cap.

Well yes, as my example showed, the player each season will earn champion points at an *increased* rate compared to the prior season...but this is only because the cap will continue catching up to them (along with the relatively active playerbase).

And it appears I am correct. Ryan Zurich explained the CP formula in this forum (stickied at the top).

((TotalPoints / (Cap ^ 0.95)) + 0.08) * 400000, where Total Points is how many CP points you’ve earned.
    If you exceed the cap, the XP required is calculated given the above formula, and then tripled. (So, the XP you would need to earn 512 Champion Points is 589,807, which is then tripled to 1,769,421.)

Under this formula, everything I've been saying will come to pass.

The grinders will never be able to maintain their lead over average CP players.

I'm going to read through that thread and begin posting my feedback and thoughts there.
    Edited by Ezareth on October 7, 2015 11:19PM
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Hiero_Glyph
    Hiero_Glyph
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears you think that the existing CP gain formula is static. It is (obviously) not. The cost of gaining a CP at specific levels is something that will change from season to season, not increase exponentially from here on out.

I realize that the rate is not static but given what we know about the current cap and how CP after 339 are scaled, in reality each season is only accelerated up to ~67% of the total cap. This means if season 2 increases the cap by 225 then only 150 will be accelerated, so really you only gain CP faster if you are below 489 (339+150). If this trend continues the eventually reality is that only 2,400 of 3,600 CP will ever be acccelerated but once you reach the current acceleration cap you gain no advantage. Worse yet, the remaining 1,200 CP would be at the new scaled rate which is far worse than the entire 3,600 at 400k each. Only time will tell how poorly ZOS wants to micromanage CP rates after neglecting them for 8 months. Personally I don't think 3,600 CP are ever needed nor should ever be reached but ZOS can ruin their game if they want.
  • ZOS_RichLambert
    ZOS_RichLambert
    Creative Director
    You should all read Ryan's post here: Champion System Catch-Up
    Rich Lambert
    Creative Director - The Elder Scrolls Online
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube
    Staff Post
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You should all read Ryan's post here: Champion System Catch-Up

Thanks for the heads up and the info.
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SCinsight wrote: »
    ZOS needs to make it to where those below the 501 CP cap get a lower amount of exp than 400k to each CP, then after the 501 mark make it cap at 400k. This is just plain stupid, and another failed idea from ZOS.

that was my initial reaction, too.

after thinking on it for a bit, i'm even more convinced.

• ahstin2001nub18_ESO
    Lylith wrote: »
    SCinsight wrote: »
    ZOS needs to make it to where those below the 501 CP cap get a lower amount of exp than 400k to each CP, then after the 501 mark make it cap at 400k. This is just plain stupid, and another failed idea from ZOS.

that was my initial reaction, too.

after thinking on it for a bit, i'm even more convinced.

i would second this idea. this isn't supposed to be a "race to the finish" type system like levels/vrs, but it shouldn't take that much time to participate either. there are far more balanced ways to keep the 75%+ happy..... 25% are never happy lol
    I will work. I will save. I will sacrifice. I will endure. I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the whole issue of the struggle depended on me alone.

Martin A. Treptow
    1894-1918
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Bollox. After three months, cap will be increased. Player A will now dropback down to accelerated gains while Player B is still stuck with slow gains.

Yes, all in all Player A takes longer than Player B to reach the same numbers. Player B will not be able to increase his back log substantially. Player B will not be able to use those fast gained CP due to cap. The system as a whole is much more long term. There are literally zero downsides to this concept.