The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

SERVER CRASH AGAIN?!

• ViscousSummer88
    ViscousSummer88
    ✭✭✭
    Batavia wrote: »
    me_ming wrote: »
    jonjees wrote: »
    for eso plus members, it is still a subscription.
    for whatever reasons eso is down, compensation needs to be given to subscription users.
    in this era where redundancy, high availability and business continuity are all viable solutions, this should not be happening.

likewise down for patching, crashes and what nots, the subs needs to be compensated, because they have paid for the service.

I understand you're frustrated by this, but you're being irrational. It's NOT an ESO/Zenimax issue it's a carrier issue. Meaning if you want compensation go ask Level3.

What customers like yourself don't understand, is that technological devices have down times. They're not perfect. And servers will go down. It's something avoidable, yes, but that doesn't mean that they will work 100% of the time. Telecommunication companies, of course, will try to maintain it, but still you can't fault them for down times. Things happen deal with it.

It's not like you can't play the game for weeks, because of the down time.

And just for your clarification it is a server issue. The carrier which the ESO servers are, is down. That's why you can't access the game. I'm not sure if Zenimax have different carriers for different servers (I am guessing they might, since some of your friends can play the game). To clarify even further Level3 is a (CLEC) carrier, that holds databases for different telecommunication companies, and if their (Level3) systems are down so does everyone that are using that carrier.

I subscribe monthly, and I wouldn't mind for a compensation, but it will be on ESO's discretion. I won't beg for it, because I understand that this was out of their hands.

No, that's completely the wrong mindset to have. Zenimax chose to use Level 3's services therefore they are responsible if their are any issues. Why should we, me and you and everyone else, be given the short straw because of the failure of Zenimaxs third-party supplier? The answer is we shouldn't and we never should be, this goes without saying for all companies you're a customer of!

It's not acceptable for someone or a company to expect their customers to accept down time and a company should have measures in place for such situations if it be directly their service issue of that of their third-party suppliers. I use the term "measures in place" very broadly, from having redundancy to giving, me and you, customer reimbursement and that is something that we as customers should and are allowed to expect, regardless of what a companies ToS states. At the end of it, if they like their customers and appreciate their customers they would understand this and seek reimbursement from their third-party supplier (Level 3) after the fact.

Time is not relevant, it's already been stated that the connections are now going through and that they are now performing maintenance off their own back, you tell me would you class this as their third-parties failure or their failure now? Difficult isn't it? But fundamentally it does not matter. We, as customers, can not be expected to accept are service disruption, regardless of the company, due to their suppliers.

Finally, you should not have to beg, a simple ticket to support or even a phone call expressing that you do not feel the service provided was acceptable, it's a company, you're the customer, raise your concerns- That is not begging, that's called wanting the service you pay for.

1) I actually find it the opposite of a failure that they are doing maintenance now. In fact I would find it a failure were they not to restart everything and make sure it is all running as expected before letting everyone in and possibly finding major issues.

2) You do not understand how Level 3 and the net work. Zos doesn't choose to have level 3's services. I doubt zos deals with level 3 in any real meaningful way. As I explained previously, level 3 is sort of like the isp to the major isps. (okay admittedly that is a drastic oversimplification but still...) That is why large chunks of ATT, Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner and other isps were down. That is why data centers operated by dozens if not hundreds of different companies were down. I'm pretty sure it was one of these third parties that Zos deals with.

First off, I feel that your tone is very rude. Secondly, it's not our job as the customer to have to understand their systems or any systems they use for that matter, that is their problem entirely.

But again, why should we, as customers, be expected to sit back and not have our concerns in regards to downtime, at the end of the day Level 3 are not the only supplier, the data centre they use is not the only data centre. There will be plenty of companies which were not affected. It really does not matter which third-party company you want to point the finger at, they use them in some form if that be the supplier of the date centre or if they be directly related.

But thank you for your "insight".

actually some insight in what is and is not within their control is to be expected.

If you buy a car you are expected to know you need to feed it gassoline and if you drive over a spike strip it is not healthy for your tires. If you get a cab you are also expected to know that they cannot get you across the country within an hour (unless you live in luxemburg). You get a service from zenimax and they are expected to do everything Within reason to deliver that service. However some things are out of their control and that is OK.

Zenimax. Keep up the good work!

Oh I do not deny that Zenimax has been great to us through this with their continued posts, updates and behind the scenes work.
    Edited by ViscousSummer88 on August 28, 2015 10:08AM
    Steam Profile | Discord: Oliver#0001 | EU Megaserver: @ViscousSummer88
  • Soulsix
    Soulsix
    ✭✭
    RSram wrote: »
    k2blader wrote: »
    Solar storm is a good blame

Even Level 3's site doesn't give the reason, but I think you're gonna be right. lol

Still, I think people should stop posting NOAA junk until there's a "confirm" that was cause.

I agree. I haven't find anything so far about a major solar storm. A solar storm effects exposed power lines and satellites, not underground telecommunications lines. A severe solar storm could wipe out the entire power grid which could indirectly shut down the Internet.

True, but it did pass the time his post =) (and watching mad max)
    Woking Mans Guild, Laid Back Questing And Help - ESG - On ESO NA - To Join Contact SoulSix (Syphiona) OR SS Arogonian

• azoriangaming
    azoriangaming
    ✭✭✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »
    wormfudge wrote: »
    This games Player vs. Server content is some of the best I've seen in gaming for a long time. Very challenging.

I especially enjoy the Loading Screen boss. I can kill it most of the time, but every once in a while I must mess up my rotation and get my ass handed to me.

that moment you know you're going to lose and alt f4 with rage :p
  • Nurtharikja
    Nurtharikja
    ✭✭✭
    Epona222 wrote: »
    I love the fact that some people think contingency planning could not have forseen this eventuality.
    I hope no-one ever makes the mistake of employing you for contingency planning, because that is exactly what it is about. A good contingency planner will allow for a direct meteor strike on the server and have a fully costed plan B just in case.

But how much would we have to pay for that? No thanks.
  • willymchilybily
    willymchilybily
    ✭✭✭✭
    @jonjees would you like some cheese with that whine?
    but seriously acording to the EULA by downloading the game you agree to the EULA which includes "terms of service" such terms say things like:
    6. AVAILABILITY OF SERVICES AND CONTENT; GAME MAINTENANCE, PATCHES, UPDATES; TERMINATION OF SERVICES

ZeniMax does not guarantee that any Services will be available at all times, in all countries and/or all geographic locations, at any given time, or that ZeniMax will continue to offer any particular Services for any particular length of time.

ergo you have no Entitlement to any compensation, refund or even apology, anything given as such will be at ZOS' discretion. and considering this downtime is not their fault but that of their server provider, who in turn is suffering from an "Act of God" / solar flare what-ever, i disagree that they should even consider giving a refund. and as far as i know the other down times were actually scheduled as "regular maintenance" or resolved in less than 1 hour!! you should be greatful regular maintenance is done its probably just backing up of the mega servers. which considering this down time may be a blessing it happened recently if we have corrupt data on the megaserver it may require a full reset.
    Also redundancy and backup... are you serious its called MEGA server for a reason. huge amounts of data, you want them to back up daily so 3 hours every day you cant play? and if not then when there is some unscheduled down time you want them to bring online some server in which you are over a week of progress behind where you were? and then, when the original server comes back you want them to wipe anything you were doing during that downtime and put you back in game, how is this a solution that can be applied to an MMO RPG?

on a different note, i only read 17 pages in, when was the last status update, just curious if my intended weekend of gaming will include eso or not we're 5 or 6 hours in? and i finish work in another 5 or 6, what do we think will that 10 hours of elevator music from Gina out last this period of down time?

PSN - WarpPigeon - Guild: TheSyndicate - EU, Ebonheart Pact
    Dragon Knight [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Magicka] - 720 - Flawless Conqueror
    Templar [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Dragon Knight [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Stamina] - 720
  • AJ_1988
    AJ_1988
    ✭✭✭

Complaining should get you banned.
  • Soulsix
    Soulsix
    ✭✭
    Soulsix wrote: »
    daemonios wrote: »
    This games Player vs. Server content is some of the best I've seen in gaming for a long time. Very challenging.

I especially enjoy the Loading Screen boss. I can kill it most of the time, but every once in a while I must mess up my rotation and get my ass handed to me.

That guys rough. You've gotta really be prepared for his AoE, or when he pops just right with an "unusually long load time." Get hit with that and there's rarely any coming back

The Dashboard Spell does a number on me, its a one hit deal. Might be my DNS armor they tell me, but i still think my Disconnect Embrace armor holds up good enough. I can use a Green A-button stone to rez usually

Oh my. See I'm on the PS4 version of the game, so I think it's a little tougher than on other systems. It's an everchanging landscape really. Keeps me on the edge of my seat. One minute my squad of four is at odds with the loading screen, then BAM, the boss spawns his adds known as PSN. Pretty unpredictable fight if you ask me. I mean, online it tells me to rearrange my DNS bar, but I just keep asking myself WWDD "what would deltia do?!"

LOL
    Woking Mans Guild, Laid Back Questing And Help - ESG - On ESO NA - To Join Contact SoulSix (Syphiona) OR SS Arogonian

• Greeniewolfub17_ESO
    Soulsix wrote: »
    I'd enjoy watching you at work if your boss implemented the same standard you express here, where any time you make the smallest mistake, or don't work up to your full potential, even for a few seconds, your pay would be reduced to compensate for the lack of 100% work efficiency uptime.

LOL sorry but that for me was the ice on the cake end all discussion knock out punch! well put in fact. (just my opinion)

I have to agree with Soulsix there.
    Me: "Okay lets run to Alessia. Mount up and follow me!"
    Me five seconds later: "Um yeah... totally forgot about that cliff..."
  • Listatta
    Listatta
    this is going to sound scary, but I remember the day when I had to get in a car and go half way across town to access internet service.... and I'm not that old and it was a major capitol city. For us as a
    @jonjees would you like some cheese with that whine?
    but seriously acording to the EULA by downloading the game you agree to the EULA which includes "terms of service" such terms say things like:
    6. AVAILABILITY OF SERVICES AND CONTENT; GAME MAINTENANCE, PATCHES, UPDATES; TERMINATION OF SERVICES

ZeniMax does not guarantee that any Services will be available at all times, in all countries and/or all geographic locations, at any given time, or that ZeniMax will continue to offer any particular Services for any particular length of time.

ergo you have no Entitlement to any compensation, refund or even apology, anything given as such will be at ZOS' discretion. and considering this downtime is not their fault but that of their server provider, who in turn is suffering from an "Act of God" / solar flare what-ever, i disagree that they should even consider giving a refund. and as far as i know the other down times were actually scheduled as "regular maintenance" or resolved in less than 1 hour!! you should be greatful regular maintenance is done its probably just backing up of the mega servers. which considering this down time may be a blessing it happened recently if we have corrupt data on the megaserver it may require a full reset.
    Also redundancy and backup... are you serious its called MEGA server for a reason. huge amounts of data, you want them to back up daily so 3 hours every day you cant play? and if not then when there is some unscheduled down time you want them to bring online some server in which you are over a week of progress behind where you were? and then, when the original server comes back you want them to wipe anything you were doing during that downtime and put you back in game, how is this a solution that can be applied to an MMO RPG?

on a different note, i only read 17 pages in, when was the last status update, just curious if my intended weekend of gaming will include eso or not we're 5 or 6 hours in? and i finish work in another 5 or 6, what do we think will that 10 hours of elevator music from Gina out last this period of down time?

with in the hour was posted just a little bit ago by a dev
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love the fact that some people think contingency planning could not have forseen this eventuality.
    I hope no-one ever makes the mistake of employing you for contingency planning, because that is exactly what it is about. A good contingency planner will allow for a direct meteor strike on the server and have a fully costed plan B just in case.

You shouldn't even run a carwash business involving a bucket and some rags without a contingency plan. As to how much to pay? I pay $15 a month.
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • ViscousSummer88
    ViscousSummer88
    ✭✭✭
    AJ_1988 wrote: »
    Complaining should get you banned.

Customer Service 101
    Steam Profile | Discord: Oliver#0001 | EU Megaserver: @ViscousSummer88
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Down again? Didn't they do maintenance a couple of days ago?

(And no, I didn't read every post, so sorry if there's a reason)
  • willymchilybily
    willymchilybily
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Listatta Thanks for the info. Looking like ESO tonight then.
    PSN - WarpPigeon - Guild: TheSyndicate - EU, Ebonheart Pact
    Dragon Knight [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Magicka] - 720 - Flawless Conqueror
    Templar [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Dragon Knight [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Stamina] - 720
  • Sausage
    Sausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh its that time of the month again.
  • Greeniewolfub17_ESO

You shouldn't even run a carwash business involving a bucket and some rags without a contingency plan. As to how much to pay? I pay $15 a month.

yeah, and if they put in place a contingency plan for each and every little thing that might happen we would be paying a lot more than $15 a month. But in this case they had one. As someone linked above, their contingency was built right into the EULA. Its nice, cheap, and effective.
  • jeevin
    jeevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    haven't played in months and felt like I'd give it another go...... Just DL'd patch for client and ***....
  • Listatta
    Listatta
    robwolf666 wrote: »

so there's been a HUGE internet provider that blacked out internet service for a lot of people around the world, and ESO decided to do a server restart when they got service back.

• Kinnahz
    Kinnahz
    ✭✭✭
    illuminati confirmed
    Xbox Gamertag: KINNAHZ
    vHRC HM, vAA HM, vSO HM, vMoL HM, vHoF HM, vAS+2, vCR+3, EoF, SoTN, Oax HM, Lyl & Tur HM vDSA, Unchained, Flawless, Spirit Slayer
  • angelyn
    angelyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edited by angelyn on August 28, 2015 10:22AM
  • Corpsage
    Corpsage
    ✭✭✭
    Zenimax handled this exceptionally. Anyone complaining that the game was down for as little time as it has been obviously hasn't been gaming long...

Have to repost ToS for all these bums looking for some kind of handout.

Boom.
    Edited by Corpsage on August 28, 2015 10:22AM
    Corpsage The Blackened - V16 Altmer Templar DC
    Corpsage The Bane - V16 Imperial Templar DC
    Corpsage The Decimator - V16 Dunmer Night Blade DC
    Corpse Guevara - 32 Dunmer Dragon Knight DC
    Corpsage The Iniquitous - 27 Orc Night Blade DC
    The Lord Corpsage - 5 Altmer Sorcerer DC
    We are the many who is One
  • Soulsix
    Soulsix
    ✭✭
    Kinnahz wrote: »
    illuminati confirmed

LMAO

• Soulsix
    Soulsix
    ✭✭
    angelyn wrote: »

EPIC LOL

• Listatta
    Listatta
    illuminati confirmed

I so want you to expound on that statement :)
    Edited by Listatta on August 28, 2015 10:24AM
  • Rapthorne
    Rapthorne
    ✭✭
    I'm more curious about what caused an almost nationwide outage for America, to be quite honest o.o
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »
    Its a Trap! ANd the EU server is Located in Germany, why is it down? >:>
    @Alcast The ISP had a worldwide outage for a time last night. Now that the ISP is coming back online, ZOS have to do a system-wide maintenance to check all the servers.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Greeniewolfub17_ESO
    Listatta wrote: »
    robwolf666 wrote: »

so there's been a HUGE internet provider that blacked out internet service for a lot of people around the world, and ESO decided to do a server restart when they got service back.

I for one am glad they restarted stuff. From experience I will tell you failure to do such a restart can sometimes lead to really, really bad consequences if the servers are not talking to each other properly or data on them has gotten corrupted. Another game I played in had something similar happen a few years ago and people lost lots of valuable inventory when the servers that controlled the inventory didn't properly talk to the servers that controlled the equipped items or placed items and as a result all those items disappeared. That game did a rollback but almost everyone lost a lot of stuff regardless.
    Edited by Greeniewolfub17_ESO on August 28, 2015 10:27AM
  • Soulsix
    Soulsix
    ✭✭
    Listatta wrote: »
    illuminati confirmed

I so want you to expound on that statement :)

As far as one liners go, was on key and on time id say lol

• Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »
    Its a Trap! ANd the EU server is Located in Germany, why is it down? >:>
    America controls/rules everything
    #MOREORBS
  • ZOS_MichaelServotte
    ZOS_MichaelServotte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maintenance is now over and all megaservers are back online, open to all players.

Once again, I would like to thank you for your patience and understanding.
    Michaël Servotte
    Community Manager (FR) - Gestionnaire de communauté francophone - The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube
    Staff Post
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My only gripe in all this is that there isn't an official locked thread with updates from ZOS. Yeah I can read the thing at the top of the screen but that doesn't tell me everything. Someone who hasn't been around for the last 8 hours isn't going to want to read 39 pages just to see the ZOS comments.

It would just be nice to be able to read about the issues without all the constant bickering between players.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs