The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Fear has some... issues...

• Perphection
    Perphection
    ✭✭✭✭
    You wouldn't think it would be all that difficult to break CC's, but here we are... 1-year later and still issues. I'm salty as hell because I am sick and *** tired of dying because of this. Dying with full resources because you cannot break the CC is ***.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Rude, Insulting, and Bashing comments]
    Edited by ZOS_ArtG on April 15, 2015 4:00PM
  • TheBucket
    TheBucket
    ✭✭✭✭
    Panda244 wrote: »
    TheBucket wrote: »
    Orchish wrote: »
    Combined with wrecking blow and falling through the map every single time i am on a slight incline, it really has become my most feared ability to fight against.

I don't quite mind the falling through the map, it prevents them from killing you. The ability needs one of it's components removed though, obviously not the fear part, so the snare, or the damage debuff need to go, and I'm more partial to the snare going, because it's laughable and useless, the damage debuff is one of the Nightblade's defense mechanisms and should stay. Still think that the whole change of Fear forcing you to drop block is utter *** because in that .5 seconds that block is dropped they can hit you with Incap Strike for 10k and Surprise Attack/Concealed Weapon for 5-8k depending on spell damage and crit, then usually you CC break, and you can't heal because Incap strike puts the debuff on you. So the Impale/Killer's Blade spam murders you through block or damage shields.

Concealed Weapon will never hit for 8k.

@TheBucket maybe if you're running a build with virtually no spell damage.... Mine hits for 8k on crits on a daily basis, and if I use entropy for the empower on next attacks it'd be higher.

I was being sarcastic lol
    William Reignes
    Magic Nightblade - Rogue Bomber
    Creator of Thirsty Thief Build (Retired 1.5)
  • Spangla
    Spangla
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fear is the single most powerful ability in the entire game. At least Mass Hysteria is. Coming from a guy who's main is a Nightblade.

Mass Hysteria is a stun. A snare. A damage debuff. Forces up to three people to drop block. Causes them to fall through the map. Sometimes. And on the very rare occasions, it's completely unbreakable even with full stamina.

In short, it's utterly broken and unbalanced.

I'd swap it for hardened ward right now please.

I'd swap it for Reflective scales right now please.

I'd swap it for blazing shield right now please.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spangla wrote: »
    Fear is the single most powerful ability in the entire game. At least Mass Hysteria is. Coming from a guy who's main is a Nightblade.

Mass Hysteria is a stun. A snare. A damage debuff. Forces up to three people to drop block. Causes them to fall through the map. Sometimes. And on the very rare occasions, it's completely unbreakable even with full stamina.

BWAHAHAHAA! DEAL! Devs, this is binding. Make it so.
  • vortexman11
    vortexman11
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd swap it for hardened ward right now please.

Fair trade as night blades have no damage shields that I know of
    Guild of Shadows ~Elite~
    Învictus ~Council~

EP | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 50 | Former Emperor of Haderus & Chillrend |
    EP | Phobos | Altmer Nightblade | LvL 50 | Rank 26 |
    EP | Cheezus Sliced | Argonian Templar | LvL 50 | Rank 30 |
    EP | Eterno Tempesta | Altmer Sorcerer | LvL 50 | Rank 33 |
    DC | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 12 |
    DC | Divine Storm | Altmer Sorcerer | LvL 50 | Rank 04 |
    EP | Pocket Vortex | Bosmer Templar | LvL 50 | Rank 24 |
    EP | Vortexman | Redguard DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 28 |
    EP | Fungal Growth | Argonian Warden | LvL 50 | Rank 26 |
    EP | Eternal Guardian | Bosmer Warden | LvL 50 | Rank 13 |
    and a few other random toons

Teaching by example > https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5479085#Comment_5479085
  • Spangla
    Spangla
    ✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

A class shield or fear..... shield please obviously....

• Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

You get a CC, we get a shield.

Now everyone's happy, right?
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    You're correct. Fear does have some issues. We can tell you that we've identified the issue that was causing you to fall through the ground, or through the map entirely, and are testing the fix we've implemented. We hope to get this out in an incremental patch in the near future.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Weberda
    Weberda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how you can even classify it as a skill. It's just a total cheeseball effect. Get rid of it and give NB's some kind of shield ability.
    Fernwood, EP Haderus NA
    Lo Behold, AD Thornblade NA (formerly Haderus, inactive)
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weberda wrote: »
    I don't know how you can even classify it as a skill. It's just a total cheeseball effect. Get rid of it and give NB's some kind of shield ability.

You're right. Take off the part where it snares you and debuffs your damage.

Instead, make it an unblockable stun that makes people stand in place for the duration, no snare needed now.

Win?
  • Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're correct. Fear does have some issues. We can tell you that we've identified the issue that was causing you to fall through the ground, or through the map entirely, and are testing the fix we've implemented. We hope to get this out in an incremental patch in the near future.

@ZOS_GinaBruno: Do you also look into why fear is very difficult to break nowadays and that fear, in the current state of the game (one-shot-wars) might have to be adjusted to not be more deciding than any ultimate?

A one second delay (which is pretty much standard atm playing in Cyrodiil) from break-free to any defensive maneuver is currently causing certain death, even when breaking immediately.
    Edited by Mojomonkeyman on April 16, 2015 2:04PM
    Koma Grey, Chocolate Thunder, Little Mojo, Dagoth Mojo & Mojomancy
  • vortexman11
    vortexman11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varicite wrote: »

You're right. Take off the part where it snares you and debuffs your damage.

Instead, make it an unblockable stun that makes people stand in place for the duration, no snare needed now.

Win?

^^^^^^^^^^^ With the same break on damage mechanics as the others
    Guild of Shadows ~Elite~
    Învictus ~Council~

EP | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 50 | Former Emperor of Haderus & Chillrend |

Teaching by example > https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5479085#Comment_5479085
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The concept is that different classes have different strengths/weaknesses and cater to particular playstyles. Nightblades are geared toward ambushes, using stealth to avoid damage, and using illusions (fear magic is part of the illusion school in TES) to manipulate foes. Of course, Nightblades can grab a damage shield from a Restoration Staff (Ward Ally/Healing Ward), a Two-Handed Weapon (Brawler), One Handed and Shield (Shielded Assault) or they can wear heavy armor (and get a bonus to the latter with when using Shadow abilities thanks to the changes to the Shadow Barrier passive), so they can take those core strengths and use them in different ways that include more direct defense, but if someone want class damage shields Nightblades isn't the class for them.
    Edited by tinythinker on April 16, 2015 2:52PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • mcianconeb16_ESO
    mcianconeb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    As much as ppl think its OP I think fear is fine where it is. Against a good DK thats a bit tanky, a NB would struggle to get damage off with his block up. I find fear is a major component of what makes a NB still high competitive. Without it though our burst is too easy to defend from.

If fear was to be removed or changed it would need to be replaced with something that knocks a blocker off balance or something or an ultimate that ignores block and damage shields. NBs need something to get through classes with durability.
    Sarinis VR14 NB
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Guild: Misfitz
  • vortexman11
    vortexman11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as ppl think its OP I think fear is fine where it is. Against a good DK thats a bit tanky, a NB would struggle to get damage off with his block up. I find fear is a major component of what makes a NB still high competitive. Without it though our burst is too easy to defend from.

If fear was to be removed or changed it would need to be replaced with something that knocks a blocker off balance or something or an ultimate that ignores block and damage shields. NBs need something to get through classes with durability.

Nothing wrong with fear as long as it breaks when you take a certain amount of damage
    Guild of Shadows ~Elite~
    Învictus ~Council~

• Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

There is also an issue with gap closers. Sometimes when you use them and something happens to you before you finish the distance you get permastuck. Your feet wind up under the ground. You can dragonleap out or wait for a fear or knock back but that's it. It happens a lot.
    Edited by Armitas on April 16, 2015 3:27PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Rust_in_Peace
    Rust_in_Peace
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dying inside a fear is a learn to play issue.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager

@ZOS_GinaBruno: Do you also look into why fear is very difficult to break nowadays and that fear, in the current state of the game (one-shot-wars) might have to be adjusted to not be more deciding than any ultimate?

A one second delay (which is pretty much standard atm playing in Cyrodiil) from break-free to any defensive maneuver is currently causing certain death, even when breaking immediately.

One potential change we're exploring is to remove the stun, which should help with the responsiveness. This would likely not happen until the next major update, though the falling-through-the-world issue will be fixed much, much sooner (potentially in the next week or two).
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

One potential change we're exploring is to remove the stun, which should help with the responsiveness. This would likely not happen until the next major update, though the falling-through-the-world issue will be fixed much, much sooner (potentially in the next week or two).

Thank you very much for the swift response and heads up, much appreciated.

BR
    Koma Grey, Chocolate Thunder, Little Mojo, Dagoth Mojo & Mojomancy
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely agree, so long as a NB can get people to drop their block, prevent them from 100% permashielding, etc, even if it's just long enough for one massive burst attack, Fear (a.k.a. Aspect of Terror) is doing its job. And whatever happens to AoT, it might be interesting to have an active or passive ability altered to ignore a good bit of damage mitigation from block/shields.

Not a "good bit" as in "most" or "all", as I primarily run a DK, Templar, and Sorc and haven't used my NB for months, but something respectable that makes NBs an even better choice to counter (block-casting) shield stackers. I mean, AoT can help with the blocking (for now), but what if a skill people aren't happy with got something like ignoring... 15%? 25%? 35%?... of total damage shield mitigation?

Oh, say, maybe... an ability like Lotus Fan? Couple that with the weakish initial damage but harder hitting AoE DoT and accompanying snare (or even replace the snare with the higher end of figures proposed for reduction in shield mitigation - the 30-35% range), and that ability becomes much more interesting and useful for PvP. You could even justify the fact that more damage makes it through because of the teleport focusing on bypassing such effects/hitting before the (block/)shield (could be completed/) went into effect :tongue:

This kind of change doesn't make shields/shield stacking useless against NBs, especially if we keep the snare and go with the lower end of ignoring the mitigation offered by damage shields (15-20%), but it does address two other issues that get lots of complaints and questions on the forums ("Why is Lotus Fan so weak?", "How do we counter shield stacking?"). And if AoT is going to be changed, might as well toss in some other NB changes as well. ;)
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Helluin
    Helluin
    ✭✭✭

Are you speaking about the stun from sneak attack or fear abilities?
    The falling bug is great that it will be fixed, but I hope what written doesn't mean a radical changement in some other mechanics too.
    Considering Master Assassin and Aspect of Terror, I hope NB won't lose one good passive and a good skill without compensations or other changements to be balanced.
    Edited by Helluin on April 17, 2015 5:27AM
    "... and the blue fire of Helluin flickered in the mists above the borders of the world, in that hour the Children of the Earth awoke, the Firstborn of Ilúvatar."
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Something I've learned during the 100+ days /played I have as stamina nightblade, is that fear is an utterly useless skill against a talented opponent.

Skilled opponent is one that does not have the reaction time of a potato, meaning your fear is broken in less than 1,3 seconds (the global cooldown it triggers for caster) leading to you basically wasting your magicka to drain your opponent's stamina, and there are better skills for draining stamina.

I've largely stopped using the "op fear" for these reasons.
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Let's hope it is a better fix than the Meteor Fall damage fix. I'd almost put money that Fear will now cause you to run in place.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • PeggymoeXD
    PeggymoeXD
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't play a NB, I think the "sneaky one shot 'oh no they saw me' disappear and never come back" playstyle is super boring, and the reputation isn't one I'd personally enjoy having even if I was an absolute beast at it. It's more fulfilling to me to be able to kill 4 people solo in broad daylight. That's just me. But I will say, for this particular playstyle I don't really see the issue with fear, besides it's obvious bugs of course. There are people whining about glitches that need to be fixed, but then there are people whining about the skill and its purpose in general. I have CC break binded to a key and fear still takes forever to break sometimes with plenty of stamina, that would be my only issue. Otherwise, NB's are squishy af, and they need a way to make heavy hitting or tanky targets vulnerable. This is coming from a daily victim of fear.

And yeah, I want to stop falling through Nirn plz. thx.
    Kitty DK

Vanguärd
    Învictus
    Sun's Death
    EPHS

- Peggy Moe - Look Mom No Emp Buff - Chalman - Linda the Zookeeper -
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Just to give you all a quick update, the fix for Fear causing you to fall through the world isn't going to make the incremental patch on Monday (2.0.6), but we're hopeful for it making it in for 2.0.7.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fear, hmm where to begin.

Often times when I'm feared it takes like 2 seconds for cc break to actually work spamming it.

Often times I cannot tell I am even feared because I am rooted at the same time. The animation of being feared is not visual enough.

Often times I cannot cc break fear at all.

Often times I bolt escape and I am feared upon completion of bolt even though I am out of range of fear caster.

I have not been feared into the world yet but cc break with fear is majorly broken delayed and not instant like it should be.

best thing i observerd where my char bashing while beeing feared instead of breaking fear - had no controll about my char running staight towards a steep cliff, all skills greyed out und qbs locked, and all that blody char did was bashing... :*
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Spangla
    Spangla
    ✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with fear as long as it breaks when you take a certain amount of damage

Why no other cc does?

• McDoogs
    McDoogs
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like how the NBs come out of the woodwork to try to convince people that having the only instant, unmitigateable (and spammable, and sometimes unbreakable) hard CC that gives no CC immunity unless broken in the game is not a wee bit unbalancing. Nearly every magicka NB in cyrodiil is spamming fear nonstop. These are the same people who complain about sorceror's being able to escape I think, as if a sorceror running away is even close to as unbalanced as the fear + burst i win button a well built NB has right now.
    Edited by McDoogs on April 17, 2015 10:11AM
  • Spangla
    Spangla
    ✭✭✭✭
    McDoogs wrote: »
    I like how the NBs come out of the woodwork to try to convince people that having the only instant, unmitigateable (and spammable, and sometimes unbreakable) hard CC that gives no CC immunity unless broken in the game is not a wee bit unbalancing. Nearly every magicka NB in cyrodiil is spamming fear nonstop. These are the same people who complain about sorceror's being able to escape I think, as if a sorceror running away is even close to as unbalanced as the fear + burst i win button a well built NB has right now.

Want to trade fear for: Hardened ward/reflective scales or blazing shield please

Edited by Spangla on April 17, 2015 11:49AM