The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

multiboxxing with update

• Parrotbrain
    Parrotbrain
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, one more thing. While technically having multiple accounts is not against our Terms of Use, we find that it is nearly impossible to multibox ESO without the use of programs that are a violation of our EULA and TOU and will result in being banned from the game. So, multiple accounts? Totally fine. Playing multiple characters at the same time with the way our combat works? Very suspect and likely to result in a ban since it would require some level of automated play.

Technically, one does not have to engage in combat in order to multi-box. You just have to log in with two different accounts on two different machines simultaneously. As the OP said, his idea was to log in with multiple accounts at the same time in order to facilitate inventory management. As long as you do not use some form of automation, and manually control the input of each character then you should be fine, yes?
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Technically, one does not have to engage in combat in order to multi-box. You just have to log in with two different accounts on two different machines simultaneously. As the OP said, his idea was to log in with multiple accounts at the same time in order to facilitate inventory management. As long as you do not use some form of automation, and manually control the input of each character then you should be fine, yes?

Yes, you're correct. The part of multiboxing that violates our EULA and TOU is automated gameplay. Anything that automates gameplay for you is a bannable offense. If you're manually controlling characters on two accounts that are logged in at the same time, such as in the original poster's example, that's fine.
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • robeauch
    robeauch
    ✭✭✭
    ghost0 wrote: »
    want a craft session, sure, log into 4 toons to shuffle mats around. the refined material mule, the decon mule, the trait and motiff mule, and finally the crafter.
    Decon mule? Refined mats mule? Trait/motif mule? Holy cow.

You don't want a mule for each stage of crafting. You want a mule for each craft. So the clothing mule, e.g., keeps all fiber, hide, cloth, leather, & boosters -- only the stuff that is specifically related to clothing. (No motifs, no traits -- those apply to multiple crafts.) The bank (shared) gets all motifs and traits.

If the alts will serve only as mules, then whenever your main is going to craft something, you only need to visit that one mule for the mats. If you're actually playing the alts, it's even easier-- each one levels up the craft skill for the items they're storying.

My 6 toons have 100 inventory each, and my bank has another 100 shared. When I need something crafted, I craft it on that alt, and the number of times I need to log a different alt is exactly zero.

Before you left the game, did you not notice that all the other crafters didn't seem to be impacted by inventory issues the way you were? You can always ask in-game or here at the forums -- someone may know a better way to do things.
    Edited by robeauch on March 3, 2015 6:15PM
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes, you're correct. The part of multiboxing that violates our EULA and TOU is automated gameplay. Anything that automates gameplay for you is a bannable offense. If you're manually controlling characters on two accounts that are logged in at the same time, such as in the original poster's example, that's fine.
    If I use a wireless keyboard and a mouse and 2 different PCs to play with 2 characters at the same time then I do not use any additional program. Is it against the rules?
    Because I can!
  • dharbert
    dharbert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »

If I use a wireless keyboard and a mouse and 2 different PCs to play with 2 characters at the same time then I do not use any additional program. Is it against the rules?

No, because you are in direct control of those characters. If you had a script or macro running the other character, THAT would get you banned.
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager

Are you automating any element of gameplay in any way? In this example, it certainly sounds like it.

Jessica Folsom
    Staff Post
  • KoRRoDEAD
    KoRRoDEAD
    I have a feeling that OP has trust issues...

I have each of my characters with a different proffession so i use mats for all 6 professions.

The way i do it is

i keep all trait and style stones in my bank (accessible by all characters)

I keep all upgrade materials in my bank like (accessible by all characters)

but i keep all actual crafting materials like wood, ingots, cloth, ingredients, runes, reagents in my Guild bank, (accessible by all my characters and my guild mates characters), admittedly this is a small trusting guild, less than 20 players, but it gives us the space we need to store things.

I don't store armor or weapons in my personal bank unless i am putting it there to be deconstructed by another character. all good loot drops and potions and runes also go into one of my guild banks so everyone has a chance to use it.

I haven't even maxed out my inventory or bank slots, i think i have about 100 in my personal bank and on each of my characters and i always have about 30-40 free slots in my bank (unless i have deconstructable gear there) and my characters hold no more than about 20/100 items once i leave the bank to go questing....

Easy
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Are you automating any element of gameplay in any way? In this example, it certainly sounds like it.
    Nothing is automated. Imaging that you have 2 laptops in front of you and a character is loaded on each laptop. I use a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse for input. The devices send signal to both laptops and I control both characters of the same time. Nothing is automated. I didn't test it, I just was curious is this example is a violation of the rules.
    Because I can!
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Nothing is automated. Imaging that you have 2 laptops in front of you and a character is loaded on each laptop. I use a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse for input. The devices send signal to both laptops and I control both characters of the same time. Nothing is automated. I didn't test it, I just was curious is this example is a violation of the rules.

That does sound like it would be a violation, yes. It is not possible to control characters at the same time without software or peripherals to duplicate the input for both characters at the same time, as you explained. Technically, that is automating the gameplay for one of the characters.
    Jessica Folsom
    Staff Post
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That does sound like it would be a violation, yes. It is not possible to control characters at the same time without software or peripherals to duplicate the input for both characters at the same time, as you explained. Technically, that is automating the gameplay for one of the characters.
    But I will use a normal peripherals and software (peripherals' drivers ) which are used probably by 50% of the player base. Nothing additional. Definitely the rules are ambiguous here.
    Because I can!
  • ghost0
    ghost0
    robeauch wrote: »
    want a craft session, sure, log into 4 toons to shuffle mats around. the refined material mule, the decon mule, the trait and motiff mule, and finally the crafter.
    Decon mule? Refined mats mule? Trait/motif mule? Holy cow.

You don't want a mule for each stage of crafting. You want a mule for each craft. So the clothing mule, e.g., keeps all fiber, hide, cloth, leather, & boosters -- only the stuff that is specifically related to clothing. (No motifs, no traits -- those apply to multiple crafts.) The bank (shared) gets all motifs and traits.

If the alts will serve only as mules, then whenever your main is going to craft something, you only need to visit that one mule for the mats. If you're actually playing the alts, it's even easier-- each one levels up the craft skill for the items they're storying.

My 6 toons have 100 inventory each, and my bank has another 100 shared. When I need something crafted, I craft it on that alt, and the number of times I need to log a different alt is exactly zero.

Before you left the game, did you not notice that all the other crafters didn't seem to be impacted by inventory issues the way you were? You can always ask in-game or here at the forums -- someone may know a better way to do things.

i did have it like that, 1 toon per craft. but inventory exploded, especially in provisioning, where keeping 6 tiers of mats on 1 toon was a game breaker. why 6 tiers? ever ask to have something crafted? yep, better to do it yourself. not sayin there arent helpful ppl but pre patch, hoping someone had the same level and quality recipe you did, and kept the mats on hand to amke it, you see, not negative feedback on player base, it was just to much variety to bet that another could make that heath/mag food for your lvl 15 alt . and needing to keep mult toons fed, each with a diff level food, meant keeping vast inventory.

same went for my armorer, raw mats, ref mats, the traits, blah it goes on, so i decided that i needed to seperate based on that, and not keep it craft specific. and now with writs, im forced to stock the iron and the flax and whatever again, so my low levels can get the writs done.
    tbh at first i was hoarding bcz i didnt know what was valuable, what might be needed down the line, ect. but even after paring it down to only the 5 mats per level of purp food i was making was still a hassle. add in trophies, weap and armor switches, keeping set armor on ice for when another toon grew into it ( which i stopped, just go make it again )

anyway, my game is patching now, i read the release notes, and im hopeful, especially with food.

still think ill open a free account, just to facilitate inventory, and possibly keep toons in guild trader zones i like to visit. but who knows, it might not be needed once i see what "automatically" got changed in my bags

• Mynex
    Mynex
    ✭✭
    Wait... I knew pets, mounts made it on PTS but not costumes, so youre actually saying costumes made it into the 1.6 update into collections after all?
    Costumes, yes. Disguises, no. There's a difference.

Yep, this. :) We're still exploring a solution for disguises. Because most disguises are directly linked with quests and neutral-status flags for some NPCs, it's a bit trickier.

Why not check for the 'quest completed' flag where the disguise was used, then convert the disguise into a costume?

Or add a 'right click' option to disguises to 'add to collection'... This would remove the disguise from the inventory, it would then appear in the collections.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dont be "that" guy darth.
  • ghost0
    ghost0

we used to call that "training" in rom. we then graduated to a multibox addon that mirrored your actions across clients. and yes, it was a tos breaker for that game and would probably flag you here

• wraith808
    wraith808
    ✭✭✭✭

But I will use a normal peripherals and software (peripherals' drivers ) which are used probably by 50% of the player base. Nothing additional. Definitely the rules are ambiguous here.

The rules aren't ambiguous- you're trying to make your example ambiguous. By normal use of the hardware, you can't control both at the same time. You're using something to replicate the commands on both boxes. That thing that you're using? Against TOS when used in this way, even if not otherwise.
    Quasim ibn-Muhammad - VR 12 Redguard Dragon Knight
    Taladriel Vanima - VR 5 Altmer Nightblade
    Ambalyo iyo Bogaadin - VR 1 Redguard Sorceror
  • dharbert
    dharbert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you had 2 accounts, 2 computers side by side, 2 keyboards, 2 mice, with YOU physically controlling both of them individually, then that would be within the rules.
    Edited by dharbert on March 3, 2015 7:00PM
  • wookiefriseur
    wookiefriseur
    ✭✭✭✭
    A while ago I had seen a mechanical multibox setup, lowtech.

Didn't find the original but a similar one:

eve_diy_multiplayer_system_2.jpg

:smiley:
  • Tyr
    Tyr
    ✭✭✭✭
    wraith808 wrote: »

The rules aren't ambiguous- you're trying to make your example ambiguous. By normal use of the hardware, you can't control both at the same time. You're using something to replicate the commands on both boxes. That thing that you're using? Against TOS when used in this way, even if not otherwise.

He's just using 1 wireless receiver for each computer that both handshake with the same keyboard/mouse.
    There's no automation going on. 1 RF signal is passing to 2 receivers. No additional software/hardware.
  • wraith808
    wraith808
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tyr wrote: »

He's just using 1 wireless receiver for each computer that both handshake with the same keyboard/mouse.
    There's no automation going on. 1 RF signal is passing to 2 receivers. No additional software/hardware.

I didn't say there was automation going on. The fact that he's using the RF signal passing to two receivers is the part that violates the TOS. I bolded the relevant part.
    Quasim ibn-Muhammad - VR 12 Redguard Dragon Knight
    Taladriel Vanima - VR 5 Altmer Nightblade
    Ambalyo iyo Bogaadin - VR 1 Redguard Sorceror
  • Katava
    Katava
    I use the - key on the num pad to disappear my ui. I don't think it was doing anything in the defaults...
    Edited by Katava on March 3, 2015 9:26PM
    VR2 Templar Healer
    VR3 DK Tank
    VR5 Nightblade
  • kenpachi480
    kenpachi480
    ✭✭✭
    so i have a paid account. i ragequit in may over inventory and havnt been back until last week. never cancelled my sub tho, so yeah, gg for me and a recurring lesson in why automatic payments are not my friend. anyway, i digress. but at least ill get a sengal mount and a helm to take up 2 more inventory spots.

i read the patch notes for the pts and see nothing that addresses my core complaint about this game since launch. inventory.

sooo, you reduced the amount of ingredients for food, so what. still have 5 other professions, 1 alt mule for each, and the neverending inventory shuffle still continues. want a craft session, sure, log into 4 toons to shuffle mats around. the refined material mule, the decon mule, the trait and motiff mule, and finally the crafter.

in may of 2014 i asked for a material bag for each profession. its not like its an original idea. many games with large item tables have them. i see no mention of it in the notes.

player housing. been discussed to death. google it. you will see the discussion, and the excitement, died about ....may of last year. no mention of it in pts notes. wish the 1.6 notes were avail, but that another topic thats been discussed to death, in just one morning. really, how hard is it to post notes? submit button so far away from my cookies....zzz. anyway, player housing speaks directly to inventory hell.

so now you determined that you want to try your best to kill a game with the influx of free players, and ...whats that? yep, the game killing pay to win cash shop. now i know you promised no game changing stuff will be for sale, but youve already taken a shot at alchemy with pots being avail. i know they arent tri pot panaceas, for now...until some accountant review cash shop sales, but still, anything for sale that could be crafted in game is not a good idea. and, youve already killed the top tier players by allowing nubs to buy their level with exp items, thus creating low skill point forevernoobs running around at top levels asking...how do i.

so being as you are effectively a f2p p2w game on the 17th, i assume you will allow multiboxxing like most free games. where i can have about as many free accounts as i have the hardware and time to run. this, like nothing you have offered in the past, will finally allow for an easier inventory management scenario. not the best as ill still have to pick up my second keyboard and mouse, and 3rd and 4th, but better. eventually there will be an addon that can view inventory across characters and accounts, thus removing the need for eso to actually ever address inventory. kudos for avoiding it!

i dont get you, the first 5 blobs in your message, states you find it annoying you have to switch char because one char cant do all the things you think you need to do,.. then your last few lines you advocate wanting to have unlimited accounts i dont get you bro
    Pain and Dead are the cost to the enjoyment of Battle

Captain Otter Wildwater - DK - V12 - EP
    GoS Vassal - Templar - V16 - EP
    Captain Izanagi Tsukiko - Sorc - still lvling - EP

Best selfclaimed Healer of Ebonheart Pact NA
  • Heishi
    Heishi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait... I knew pets, mounts made it on PTS but not costumes, so youre actually saying costumes made it into the 1.6 update into collections after all?
    Costumes, yes. Disguises, no. There's a difference.

Yep, this. :) We're still exploring a solution for disguises. Because most disguises are directly linked with quests and neutral-status flags for some NPCs, it's a bit trickier.

I know we kinda got past this part of the conversation already, but just wanted to jump in anyways.

I wouldn't expect it to be terribly difficult. just have the quest the disguise goes to removed the disguise and award you with the costume version, much like how it works with the goblin and skeleton items.
    And so did many brave men, women, and beast fall to the end of Beta, never to be heard from again. All that is left, is whispers of the adventures they had.
  • Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have all 6 profs on my main character and I am a hoarder, but I keep all relevant mats in my bank which is fully upgraded. 1.6 is still downloading and that will free up a LOT of space, but here is what I fit in my bank with room to spare.
    • 1 stack of each trait stone (weapon and armor)
    • 1 stack of each style material
    • 2 stacks of each upgrade material for cloth, ww, smith(although I usually don't have more than 1 stack of the golds)
    • 1 stack of each herb
    • 2 stacks of Cloud Mist
    • 1 stack of a lower level water (for my mules who do alch writs)
    • 2 stacks of refined voidstone, nightwood, voidcloth, shadowhide (i keep the partial unrefined stacks in my bag - no need to have 2 partial stacks of unrefined)
    • 1 stack of unrefined iron, maple, jute, rawhide scraps
    • 1 stack of refined iron, maple, jute, rawhide
    • 3 stacks of grand soul gems
    • 1 stack honeycomb, bervez fruit, 6 vr5 secondary mats
    • 10-15 stacks of random prov mats that are destined to be moved to my 'pantry' at some point
    • 1 stack of each essence rune, aspect rune and about half the potency runes (i really need to sell the ones i never use)

I do have bank mules and I have found the 'shuffle' tedious in the past, but once I upgraded my bank, which I did as a priority, it got a lot better.

I have mules still:
    pantry - all my excess prov mats
    old stuff - made in anticipation of 1.6, holding 60 stacks of OLD prov mats that I normally would have sold but will now vendor
    bank - all trophies and bound gear, pets, costumes
    unrefined mats - in anticipation of 1.6 I started saving stacks of unrefined mats
    fish - full inventory of green trophy fish (worth 0g on 1.5 but vendorable in 1.6) and white fish for prov in 1.6
    "smith" - the last of my original mules who held research items for me (for smithing only when the game started), now holds all remaining research items and stuff destined for the guild store (extra herbs, recipes, random gear, etc.)

I do not have to "shuffle" much anymore. Main dumps stuff in bank and every day or so I will log into the needed mules to transfer to them. When I craft stuff, all the mats I may need are already in the bank:)

I look forward to keeping all my prov mats in the bank with 1.6!
    Edited by Mix on March 3, 2015 9:54PM
  • Tyr
    Tyr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tyr wrote: »

I didn't say there was automation going on. The fact that he's using the RF signal passing to two receivers is the part that violates the TOS. I bolded the relevant part.

Gotcha. NVM then