The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO live- Clarification on how ultimate will be generated in 1.6

angelyn
angelyn
✭✭✭✭
So I asked this question numerous times during the Twitch stream.

They said that you would get a buff after using a light or heavy attack that would generate ultimate. Does this then mean that nothing else will generate ultimate? For example all of our class and weapon skills.

They didn't confirm or deny whether it will be the only way to generate ultimate. Did I misinterpret or is further clarification required? I've not got time stamps as they spoke about it at least twice.
  • LunaRae
    LunaRae
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well you definitely don't generate ultimate healing targets out of combat, and I doubt you generate ultimate using abilities or casting spells out of combat. Essentially I got the gist that most ultimate generation is being forced to in-combat only, but I'm sure there'll be bugs early on that thwart that.

They mentioned several times if I heal someone who has light/heavy attacked in combat I'd get an ult-generation buff as well. No idea if they stack, doubt it, but no there wasn't very much information on it.
    Stands-Strong-As-Snow ~ Argonian Templar DC NA V14
    Ytheri ~ Argonian Nightblade EP Thornblade NA V14
    Heals-All-Colours ~ Argonian Templar EP Thornblade NA V14
    Stands-In-Still-Waters~ Argonian Sorcerer EP Thornblade NA V2
  • Chufu
    Chufu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I understand, that it would be an addition to the system at the moment.

So in my opinion, you'll get Ultimate
    • by blocking
    • by dodging
    • by dealing damage with light or heavy attacks
    • by healing somebody who has done a light or heavy attack

But that's just an idea, I don't know it exactly... hope the devs will clarify this soon.
  • angelyn
    angelyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    LunaRae wrote: »
    Well you definitely don't generate ultimate healing targets out of combat, and I doubt you generate ultimate using abilities or casting spells out of combat. Essentially I got the gist that most ultimate generation is being forced to in-combat only, but I'm sure there'll be bugs early on that thwart that.

They mentioned several times if I heal someone who has light/heavy attacked in combat I'd get an ult-generation buff as well. No idea if they stack, doubt it, but no there wasn't very much information on it.

Oh yes I'm fine with it only being in combat - I understand that heals outside of combat won't generate ultimate . I'm talking about in combat. As an example if I use an aoe skill like wall of flames/impulse etc will this still generate ultimate? Or will I now need to weave light attacks into my aoe ?

Hopefully they will clarify this and put us out of our misery:D
    Edited by angelyn on December 19, 2014 11:50PM
  • angelyn
    angelyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chufu wrote: »
    I understand, that it would be an addition to the system at the moment.

So in my opinion, you'll get Ultimate
    • by blocking
    • by dodging
    • by dealing damage with light or heavy attacks
    • by healing somebody who has done a light or heavy attack

But that's just an idea, I don't know it exactly... hope the devs will clarify this soon.

Ahh that would make some kind of sense. I'm really hoping that they've not reduced the ways to generate ultimate into "use light/heavy weapon attack" and that our class/weapon abilities will generate ultimate (in combat)
    Edited by angelyn on December 19, 2014 11:53PM
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How are tanks going to generate ultimate? Most tanks don't light attack or heavy attack.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    angelyn wrote: »

They said that you would get a buff after using a light or heavy attack that would generate ultimate. Does this then mean that nothing else will generate ultimate? For example all of our class and weapon skills.

They didn't confirm or deny whether it will be the only way to generate ultimate. Did I misinterpret or is further clarification required? I've not got time stamps as they spoke about it at least twice.
    That's not the only way to generate Ultimate; you can also use a few abilities to get more, such as Carve from the 2H skill line (and the amount of Ultimate that ability gives has been rebalanced as well) or healing another player with the Ultimate gain buff. You will not gain Ultimate by blocking or dodging.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • dharbert
    dharbert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How are tanks going to generate ultimate? Most tanks don't light attack or heavy attack.

I would bet that all of the old ways of generating ultimate in combat will still work. Blocking, dodging, skills that generate ultimate, etc....
  • JLB
    JLB
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm totally fine with the idea of generating Ultimate only in combat.

I really hope tanks get their bit of Ultimate generation too.

EDIT
    You will not gain Ultimate by blocking or dodging.

Wait,
    A dps role gets Ultimate by DPSing (weaving light/heavy attacks between skills).
    A healer gets Ultimate by healing DPS'ers.
    A tanks get 0 Ultimate by tanking?
    Ermmmm... no?

Edited by JLB on December 20, 2014 12:03AM
  • angelyn
    angelyn
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure - I think it sounded like they were trying to make it more transparent and not penalise certain classes but perhaps it just just didn't come across clearly (at least to my foggy brain)
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    dharbert wrote: »

I would bet that all of the old ways of generating ultimate in combat will still work. Blocking, dodging, skills that generate ultimate, etc....

Nope.
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • dharbert
    dharbert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    angelyn wrote: »

That's not the only way to generate Ultimate; you can also use a few abilities to get more, such as Carve from the 2H skill line (and the amount of Ultimate that ability gives has been rebalanced as well) or healing another player with the Ultimate gain buff. You will not gain Ultimate by blocking or dodging.

@ZOS_GinaBruno‌

What about other skills that generate ultimate, such as the Vampire skill Invigorating Drain?
  • Soulac
    Soulac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Will you generate Ultimate by dealing damage?
    R.I.P Dawnbreaker / Auriel´s Bow
    Member of the Arena Guild and the overpowered Banana Squad.
    Nathaerizh aka Cat - Nightblade V16 - EU

- Meow -
  • Elloa
    Elloa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll just copy-paste the concerns I expressed in another thread...
    This new way of regenerating ULTIMATE really worry me because it seems that Magika users aka Healers and Casters that were already sort of forced to play Staff, will now even more be enclosed in that role.

I'm currently playing a Caster Sword+Shield (for questing). I generate a lot of ultimate via my spells that I cast in melee or distance range and I'm almost never using a light attack with my sword. I only use the shield for charging, bashing and blocking, but my damages comes exclusively from spells.
    This new changes in Ultimate regeneration would forces me to use my light/heavy attack with my swords, which, as caster, will probably not be the best way to fight. So that would reduce me to play with a destro staff wich I want to avoid.

I find very sad that casters/healers are reduced to play with staffs, and can't find cool and efficient build that includes other weapons.
  • Teargrants
    Teargrants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    dharbert wrote: »
    Ahem...
    You will not gain Ultimate by blocking or dodging.
    So, tanks can no longer generate ult w/o say spamming low slash, or committing suicide by light/heavy attacking? What genius thought this up?
    POST EQVITEM SEDET ATRA CVRA
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    EP ※ Teargrants ※
    EP ※ Kissgrants ※
    DC ※ Kirsi ※
    Vehemence Council
    #JustOutOfRenderRange
    ~Teargrants YouTube~
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maria plays a tank, so I'm going to assume she didn't completely overlook this part, but I'd like a clarification on this too.
  • dharbert
    dharbert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Soulac wrote: »
    Will you generate Ultimate by dealing damage?

@ZOS_GinaBruno‌

^ This. We need to know if damaging effects (AOE's, DoT's, spells, etc...) will generate ultimate.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will hopefully reduce the amount of ultimate spam in PvP. Sometimes it bordered on ridiculous (coming out of batswarm already having enough ultimate to immediately cast another)
  • kkravaritieb17_ESO
    kkravaritieb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also is the crit ulti regeneration system keep working or removed?
    Member of the glorious Zerg Squad
    Rip Banana Squad

Lheneth -- Sorc PvP Rank 31
    Ellynna -- Templar PvP Rank 50 (No Bleaker's roleplaying involved)
    Smellynna -- Templar PvP Rank 28
    and many other chars

• Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don´t understand why you would get the buff only from light or heavy attacks? Make it count on all dmg abilities?!
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZoS_GinaBruno do you think maybe you guys can chime in on the BIGGER topic from your vid today that you ignored in questions. Offer up some answers on champion points please. Ignoring the topic is only making it worse. http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/143523/champion-points
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just have to weave in a light attack every 8 seconds, not constantly light attack.

• Rydik
    Rydik
    ✭✭✭✭
    So it not benefit from more targets? Lets say 3 ulti per second, 67 seconds for 200 ulti with one enemy , and same 67 seconds if you fight 20 enemies... New ulti system sucks...
    Edited by Rydik on December 20, 2014 12:54AM
  • JLB
    JLB
    ✭✭✭✭
    You just have to weave in a light attack every 8 seconds, not constantly light attack.

So, correct me if I'm wrong:
    You hit with 1 light/heavy attack every 8 seconds to generate max Ultimate
    + use of skills that generate Ultimate like Carve or Deep Slash
    + passives like werewolf Ultimate or gear bonuses
    ?
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JLB wrote: »

?

Most likely. Also, combat frenzy.
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That means that as a tank I will have even less ultimate because if I try to light attack, the really tough bosses will most likeley knock me out. Great change. Can't even boost my ultimate in between fights :D sounds fun. If it really works like that, it's gonna be a huge change to the meta builds.
    Lairgren | DC Dragonknight - August Palatine
    playing for eXile

I'm done, CU somewhere else.
  • Merrak
    Merrak
    ✭✭✭
    Wait,
    A dps role gets Ultimate by DPSing (weaving light/heavy attacks between skills).
    A healer gets Ultimate by healing DPS'ers.
    A tanks get 0 Ultimate by tanking?
    Ermmmm... no?
    This pretty much sums up my biggest fear of this system. In way too many fights for raiding and otherwise, tanks cannot drop block to light attack, and shield bash is now too expensive (thanks PvP) for that to be an effective means to do so, if they even included that. So where does that leave the tanks with Ult building? Werewolf, Crippling Slash, and the Blood Spawn shoulders? I really hope nobody expects me to drop a Nova anytime in the next year.

Merrak | Templar Main
    The Descendants | NA Server | Daggerfall Covenant
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That means that as a tank I will have even less ultimate because if I try to light attack, the really tough bosses will most likeley knock me out. Great change. Can't even boost my ultimate in between fights :D sounds fun. If it really works like that, it's gonna be a huge change to the meta builds.

Is the boss so constantly trying to knock you out that you cannot drop block even for a split second to do a light attack, once every 8 seconds?
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If tanks are unable to hit an enemy in combat with a light or heavy attack once every 6-8 seconds they have far bigger problems than ultimate generation.

Just to be clear, the new basic ways to generate ultimate appear to be:
    • Hitting an enemy in combat with a light/heavy attack will result in ultimate generation for the next 6 or so seconds on your character.
    • Healing someone in combat that has that ultimate-generating effect on them will result in the same effect occurring on you.
    • There are still active and passive skills that can increase ultimate generation.

Edited by Rev Rielle on December 20, 2014 3:51AM
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • JLB
    JLB
    ✭✭✭✭
    A DPS role will not pay attention to that, since L/H attack will be in the rotation already. Same for a healer, since healing any group member who casted a L/H attack will grant Ultimate.
    It's just that it seems very awkward that the only role that won't generate Ultimate doing anything related to its own role is a tank.

Letting Bash act like a Light attack could be an option, but I'd really prefer that a tank generates Ultimate just by blocking an attack every 6-8 seconds.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

?

Most likely. Also, combat frenzy.

Yes, you probably won't use Deep Slash or Carve, but Werewolf would be another way to gain Ultimate.