Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

CANNOT SWAP WEAPONS NOW

MagicaDeHex
MagicaDeHex
✭✭
Good old WEAPON SWAP!
This problem has really got me going insane lately, you think u swap weapons after casting a skill but it never swap cause you press the swap button too fast. You stand there like a complete fool spamming some useless skill over and over.
I know some people fixed this and some people dont suffer from this at all? how that is possible i have no idea since i read somewere on official forums that the weapon swap rule in the code is no longer highest priority wich it was before.
I got some great tip from Koma Grey the other day that might sort this problem out opening some ports etc in my router but it didnt.
My question is has anyone solved this problem or does people in general just dont have this problem like i do? i know my whole group suffers from it and others but then again i hear som that dont suffer at all from this.
Are these ppl too slow? :) or do they really dont suffer from it? has ANYONE a solution to this problem? or is it just the way it is now?
Thankful for any suggestions regarding this problem.

// MagicaDeHex

www.arenaguild.com - EU
Magica De Hex - V14 DK Aldmeri Dominion - Rank 45
Hex De Magica - V14 Sorc Ebonheart Pact - Rank 23
Magika Hex - V14 NB Aldmeri Dominion - Rank 7

• Valymer
    Valymer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It happens to me all the time. In PvE I've gotten to where I actually look down at the ability bar to see if it switched weapons when it was supposed to, and I do it a little slower to give the game time to "catch up" (hilarious, when we are talking about computers).

In PvP though it usually means I just die.
  • Baphomet
    Baphomet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same issue on NA Thornblade. Weapon-swapping has become a bit more unresponsive again after 1.4. If you're in talons and taking damage for instance, it almost doesn't work. Same if you're being hit by multiple enemies and the game has to render all the on-hit effects - seems to be making it very unresponsive, too.
    - The Psijic Order
    - TKO
    - Dominant Dominion
    - The Noore
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Die everyday to it. Not sure if it's lag or what. I notice that people roll out of my banner way before I even see my banner drop. At times it may take 10seconds for my banner to appear once summoned.

There are people with great and medium PC's that play this game fine, and there are people with great and medium PC's that experience all the troubling issues. I would love an explanation for this.

Why do my frames drop to 10fps on minimum or ultra? When the game looks like a N64 game on minimum why can't I get the frames I should have?
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armitas wrote: »
    Why do my frames drop to 10fps on minimum or ultra? When the game looks like a N64 game on minimum why can't I get the frames I should have?

This. Is. Awful.

Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Kromus
    Kromus
    ✭✭✭
    3 weapon swap bugs I'm encountering on regular basis:
    - don't swap at all during combat (in slow mode, normal mode and burst mode)
    - swap with loss of weapon visual (randomly for one or both weapons/skill bars, after login, reloadui, in combat, out of combat...). player posture is updated after swap for that weapon type, but no weapon in hand.
    - swap skill bar with visually keeping weapons in hand from previous skill bar

3rd one is very annoying when 1h+shield/staff combination is used, but with luck it don't happens often as first two. It's also an example of how some bugs affect only certain player base, as players who use staff/staff weapon combination are unaffected.

1h+shield/resto staff
    game v1.4.5

• MagicaDeHex
    MagicaDeHex
    ✭✭
    Ive noticed early mornings when theres no lag at all i can swap maybe 2 out of 5 when i do it really fast but as i wrote above it probably have something to do with priority in the code.
    When too much going on its even less prioritised i guess and u get that stupid message "cannot swap weapons now" and ofc the damn lag dont help either.
    I mean you no longer benefit from being the faster player at all, You loose from it wich is just crazy.
    I am really considering wether to continue play or not only cause of this cause it ruins me as a pvp'er wich is really sad cause this game has so much potential!
    If they just fixed some minor bugs it would be perfectly fine.
    But hey why would they when we can get better audio and face animations... BAH... Wake up!!!

• lpool96
    lpool96
    ✭✭✭
    Weapon swap gets you going insane? Just try and get your hands on a few tomato's and you will soon enough know the meaning of the word.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kromus wrote: »
    3 weapon swap bugs I'm encountering on regular basis:
    - don't swap at all during combat (in slow mode, normal mode and burst mode)
    - swap with loss of weapon visual (randomly for one or both weapons/skill bars, after login, reloadui, in combat, out of combat...). player posture is updated after swap for that weapon type, but no weapon in hand.
    - swap skill bar with visually keeping weapons in hand from previous skill bar

3rd one is very annoying when 1h+shield/staff combination is used, but with luck it don't happens often as first two. It's also an example of how some bugs affect only certain player base, as players who use staff/staff weapon combination are unaffected.

1h+shield/resto staff
    game v1.4.5
    the most anoying part of this bug is when the client greysout every ability but classabilities on the switched bar as they are not corolated to the weapon in your hands...

spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happens to me as well, but not in a way that I can reproduce this bug. The few times I tried it I was able to press K and click on the weapon switch icon, so I don't know why I can't do this when pressing my keyboard shortcut.
    Lairgren | DC Dragonknight - August Palatine
    playing for eXile

I'm done, CU somewhere else.
  • Yusuf
    Yusuf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so....frigging.....annoying.....
    Weaponswap was supposed to have priority over every other action since 1.4 (or was it 1.3? doesn't matter).
    Most of the time i realize it's due to lag or you still being in a light-attack animation or jumping/dodging of some kind or if you have that yellow circle to choose where your aoe should hit.

Speaking about lag: Sometimes when i spam weaponswap it doesn't do so until i get killed and then i get the system telling me 4 times "You can't do that while dead"
  • Yusuf
    Yusuf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update 5 is here and Weaponswap is still crap.

Again.

Please, let's revive thread and bring to attention how important it is to have responsive combat.
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a solution. Like you did to forward camps, cut the problem from head.
    No more weapon swap needed. Give 10 skills in one skill bar and allow us to use primary and secondary weapon skills in this 10 slot bar without changing weapons.

It's silly, but better than nothing.
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Valymer
    Valymer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just make it like block. No matter what I am doing, if I press block it cancels everything else and blocks instantly. There is no delay.

Weapon swapping needs to be like this. It honestly is a game-breaking issue for me, and I want to know when we can expect it to be fixed. If it is going to be next year until we can see this rectified then I will just go ahead and unsub until then, that's no big deal for me but we deserve to know when this critical core mechanic will actually function properly.
  • whsprwind
    whsprwind
    ✭✭✭
    They said weapon swap was now #1 priority in the action queue, yet we "Cannot swap weapons now" (lol?)

I was wondering what exactly takes precedence over something that is #1 priority and i'm guessing it's waiting for some sort of server response - perhaps from the previous action. Different spells cause varying responsiveness for example if I cast mutagen, most of the time I'd have to wait for the animation to complete fully before being able to swap, whereas a spell like GDB only has a very small delay.

There are many more problems with weapon swapping itself and I believe is also one of the sources of memory leaks. For my case, if I do
    impulse->swap->mutagen->swap->impulse->swap->mutagen.....
    repeatedly for about 20 times, either my caching fails (weapon disappears), animation bugs out (no animations) or weapon swapping starts to become incredibly slow (3-5seconds) at which point i need to relog to fix. In some cases, ESO crashes (the caching is most likely the cause of memory leak)

If the weapon swapping were to be really responsive, it needs to be completely on the client side. Or at least it should work the way as blocking does which I believe also has server interaction but minimal (perhaps sending a simple block flag which is why you get a block "buff" when you hold RMB)
    NA(PC) - EP
    - Dragon Knight Amuro X

"Of course you're a victim... what are you going to do about it? Transcend your own suffering and be a good person!" -jbp
  • Lucadragon
    Lucadragon
    Soul Shriven
    I notice that Weapon Swapping is not been enqueued on the attack stack queue, like the normal attacks. So, we have to wait finish all attack animations in order to Weapon Swapping works fine. But it's too hard to do in the middle of the battle lol. I hope the Zenimax people fix it soon. It's really annoying!!!!
  • Yusuf
    Yusuf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_JessicaFolsom, our personal heroes, hear our pleas! T_T

I don't want to accidentally cast Flawless Dawnbreaker in a Dungeon ever again....
  • cazlonb16_ESO
    cazlonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yusuf wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_JessicaFolsom, our personal heroes, hear our pleas! T_T

I don't want to accidentally cast Flawless Dawnbreaker in a Dungeon ever again....

Try being stuck in Blazing Spear ground target mode instead of casting Breath of Life :(
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    and now it breaks stealth.... lol. i have to hide behind a rock before switching weapons; or risk giving myself away.

i have tried being patient, but i have about had it with ZOS messing up key things like weapon swap.

ZOS, PLEASE GET IT TOGETHER.

I am paying 15 dollars a month, plus 70 bucks y'all just charged the account i am using a few days ago, I dont expect perfection, but i do expect some decency in this game. PLASE FIX WEAPON SWAP.

and while we are talking about it, FIX STEALTH.
    Edited by Cody on November 13, 2014 4:15AM
  • Yusuf
    Yusuf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to know whether they at least know that this is an issue. Any developer or even ZOS' janitor care to make a comment? :)
  • kkravaritieb17_ESO
    kkravaritieb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those janitors...blew up update 1.5.3 :p . You trust them with weapon swap? :D
    Member of the glorious Zerg Squad
    Rip Banana Squad

Lheneth -- Sorc PvP Rank 31
    Ellynna -- Templar PvP Rank 50 (No Bleaker's roleplaying involved)
    Smellynna -- Templar PvP Rank 28
    and many other chars

• Yusuf
    Yusuf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really i just wanna know whether they at least KNOW there is an issue there-.-
  • Yusuf
    Yusuf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have people given up on weaponswap working? Why is this thread so dead then..
  • KenjiJU
    KenjiJU
    ✭✭✭
    Wasted my Ultimate a few times due to this. Combat gets hectic and there's a moment where I 'should' be able to swap as I'm not CC'd or in the middle of casting something, so I do as normal and swap followed by Ult just to waste it on the one I didn't want to use.
    Edited by KenjiJU on November 15, 2014 11:26PM
  • MagicaDeHex
    MagicaDeHex
    ✭✭
    last patch made weapon swap even worse.. what the [snip] are they thinking with?
    This is so sad, ruin a game who has massive potential to be really huge.. but meh.. lets add some nice audio instead.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Cursing & Profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on November 27, 2014 7:37PM

• ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Hi folks,

Some of the weapon swap issues mentioned at the beginning of this thread were fixed with Update 5, but there is still an outstanding issue where swapping weapons can cause the game to freeze. We have a fix for this issue going into the next incremental patch (next week.)
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • naturn
    naturn
    ✭✭✭
    IMO nothing including stun should prevent swapping weapons.

We only have 5 action bar slots with each weapon. Not all of the action bar slots are weapon related. Not being able to swap weapons prevents us from accessing the other action bar and the additional actions. Casting a spell that is not related to the weapon you are using is not accessible because it is on the other action bar.

It is not always easy to know if you are under the influence of stun or something else that may be preventing weapon swapping in a fight. If you attempt to swap weapons and it doesn't swap for whatever reason, you are frequently unaware the bar hasn't changed so you hit the key and the wrong action is performed. This destroys confidence that the swap weapons works well enough to use in combat and forces the player to only use 5 action slots and one weapon in a fight because swapping is so unreliable.

Moreover, swapping weapons in real life combat is usually not that difficult. Often when you draw a weapon in actual fighting, the draw from the sheath is also a strike. In real life combat swapping a sword, staff, or a bow for a dagger in close combat is instant.
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi folks,

Some of the weapon swap issues mentioned at the beginning of this thread were fixed with Update 5, but there is still an outstanding issue where swapping weapons can cause the game to freeze. We have a fix for this issue going into the next incremental patch (next week.)

Not only outstanding, but Update 5 brought a new issue, wherein every weapon swap takes longer than the previous one, and after a few swaps you reach the point where it's faster to pull the plug than wait for the game to unfreeze :D
    EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Merlight wrote: »
    Not only outstanding, but Update 5 brought a new issue, wherein every weapon swap takes longer than the previous one, and after a few swaps you reach the point where it's faster to pull the plug than wait for the game to unfreeze :D

Yep, that's the one we're fixing next week. :)

Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • Yusuf
    Yusuf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi folks,

Why does the system tell me i "cannot swap weapons now" then instead of just swapping weapons? :')
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merlight wrote: »

Yep, that's the one we're fixing next week. :)

why has this issue not been fixed asap? It's game breaking when it happens. I'm trying to do DSA and I've had to restart the game like 7 times already.

The other bug where you can't see group members is also really bad.