The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Forum Structure - Update & Feedback

• ZOS_AlanG
    ZOS_AlanG
    admin
    I think there are too many categories. People are more interested in having their post read and reacted too than to put them into the correct forum folder where only a few will read them. Its all about understanding human nature again,

Second if you do take the time to put in a post in a correct folder, then you can run into a problem; like the 2 different folders for combat skill lines.
    Excessive segmentation can cause problems on the forums, and we don’t want to needlessly break up discussion. Combat skill lines is a good example of the philosophy we've used to rework the structure.

Currently, this discussion is fairly cohesive. There are many threads about individual skills and classes, but overall those topics are mixed together – which isn't surprising for an Elder Scrolls game. To this end, we’re removing all of the individual skill line subforums that currently exist. In addition to the general Combat & Character Mechanics forum, we do have a second forum for PvP. This is because we've observed that PvP discussion is frequently distinct, and wanted to support that.

The Questing and Exploration category went in a different direction, here we've retained a large number of forums as we wanted to make it easier to avoid spoilers. These subforums also tende to be more active than the skill line subforums, and we’re hoping their added prominence of being on the front page will help with their activity.
    As for the two appropriate forums for a thread problem, well I would read through a few of the posts in both and see which feels more right to me. But you could always try posting in both, that would work too.

They might have to amalgamate some forums at a later date, but considering the fact some have stiil been complaining about the forum stucture (why I not sure, I've been able to find what I want) they had to make changes.
    We are certainly open adjusting the forum structure again if there is a need for this.

As for finding the best forum for one's thread, browsing the existing forums is a great way to gauge what’s already there, and if there are differences in the audiences. Generally speaking copies of a thread shouldn't be posted in multiple forums, although several similar threads may be posted in difference forums at once.

If there’s no single forum that fits a topic well, one can simply choose an applicable one, or use General Discussion. Very active forums like GD do carry some risk of burying content quickly, and one of our reasons for having multiple forums is to reduce how rapidly the front pages turn over.
    Garbrac wrote: »
    @ZOS_AlanG‌ Will the Dev tracker have an option for a RSS feed or similar feature to allow us to get direct updates of that page without having to sit and F5 it all day?
    We have discussed an RSS feed, but its unlikely to be part of this update.
    Forum Rules | Promoting Constructive Discussion | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Help Site

I’ve moved to a new position and I am no longer active on this forum. For assistance, please check the resources linked above
    Staff Post
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Looking good so far, it seems to be easier on the eyes if that makes any sense.

I still believe that it might be handy to tweak some of the flags but I honestly don't really know in which way.

Agree is working well, I use this one a lot if another user wrote something that I agree with.

Awesome for sure was invented for the Canadian members of the forum, when I was there in summer every second sentence included the word "...awesome" so this has a purpose I suppose ^^

Not sure about the LOL button, I seldom use it and to me it has no real purpose on the forum right now.

That said, I also don't really watch those statistics and wouldn't mind if they are completely removed. Such statistics are often used to bully others around and they might discourage users to post their thoughts - scared of being bullied by the flag mafia.
    Edited by Audigy on October 28, 2014 12:50AM
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_AlanG wrote: »
    Hi guys, work is progressing well for the forum overhaul, which is due later this autumn. Most of the content is in final testing, so we wanted to give you a sneak peak. Work is ongoing, and the final product may differ somewhat from these screenshots (included in the spoiler tags below). Feedback is welcome, but that doesn't mean we can take everything into account before this goes live.

One of our priorities has been to make the forums easier to navigate. To that end we’ll be introducing language selection and flattening the forum structure entirely – there will no longer be any sub-forums.
    t1gwxe0cgz9n.png
    Categories on the front page can be collapsed, demonstrated here with the Support category (which will still contain a general help forum and PC and Mac tech forums).

Forums have a more traditional layout:
    t6ci6bh6p6ha.png

Threads have also been tweaked as well, and are higher contrast:
    94otch98v4yt.png

By popular request the Developer Tracker will no longer have columns. It will likely cover all three languages, as applying a language filter here will result in a delay before it is populated. Recent Discussions may be filtered by language.
    j2speheul7i6.png

This is some exceptional forum overhaul, keep up the good work!

May I ask though, how long will it take? Is it days, weeks or perhaps months from now on?
    Edited by Bloodfang on October 28, 2014 3:23AM
  • Antirob
    Antirob
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlanG‌ eta on new forum layout.
    Edited by Antirob on October 28, 2014 3:39AM
    Vehemence
    Antirob - Dragonknight
  • Leijona
    Leijona
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks really nice. I allready like the current version, but the new one looks even better. Keep up the good work and continue on improving it, like a "page up" button ;)
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Leijona wrote: »
    That looks really nice. I allready like the current version, but the new one looks even better. Keep up the good work and continue on improving it, like a "page up" button ;)

Yeah, I would like a "Back to Top of Page" button too.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if someone already mentoined it, but I notice that now I can attach images to answer and it is awesome!
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • ZOS_AlanG
    ZOS_AlanG
    admin
    Despair9 wrote: »
    This is some exceptional forum overhaul, keep up the good work!

May I ask though, how long will it take? Is it days, weeks or perhaps months from now on?
    The forum overhaul should be ready to go live later this autumn.
    Leijona wrote: »
    Once the forums go live we'll be eager to hear everyone's feedback, and we're always open to further improvements. While a "page up" button isn't part of the autumn overhaul, the breadcrumbs now appear on both the top and the bottom, which should improve navigation.
    Forum Rules | Promoting Constructive Discussion | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Help Site

I’ve moved to a new position and I am no longer active on this forum. For assistance, please check the resources linked above
    Staff Post
  • Jroc
    Jroc
    ✭✭✭
    Would be nice to choose other themes for the forums as well. Not everyone is a fan of bright forum pages, and darker themes are easier on some people's eyes. This may not be the most important thing, but would be a nice addition at some point.
    It's all good Bollywood
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we have a :cookie: emoticon.....can we get a :cheese:?
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And while we're at it, please add :sweetroll: and :fishystick: as well.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • smee_z
    smee_z
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno if this has been suggested before, if there's a way to bookmark a post, can there be also a way to discard a post and not see it anymore when browsing categories?
    PC NA

Games are meant to be played.

Back in Auriel's Bow 1.0, I have thought that the best way to handicap a faction with the HUGE pop advantage is to temporarily disable their grouping functionality and their ability to fight in 3rd person point of view! Let's see if these do not even up the odds.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    smee_z wrote: »
    Dunno if this has been suggested before, if there's a way to bookmark a post, can there be also a way to discard a post and not see it anymore when browsing categories?

Yeah, I suggested It a few months back.

I still want it.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Nic727
    Nic727
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please purchase commercial forum software and use that.

They use Vanilla forums which is a commercial forum software...

http://pages.vanillaforums.com/forum-software-free-trial?gclid=CMCh38KmhMACFehj7Aod_AYA0g

Do they use the free version or the cloud version?

Whatever, I love the forum.
  • Voodoo
    Voodoo
    ✭✭✭✭
    one other thing that would be nice to have. (and save time clicking on those titled posts that dont really tell you what they're about)

Would be nice to mouse over the thread title and see the first sentence or so of what the OP wrote. kind of like a tool tip. That way you can see a bit more about a certain thread with out having to open it.

Edited by Voodoo on November 4, 2014 4:50PM
  • ZOS_AlanG
    ZOS_AlanG
    admin
    Jroc wrote: »
    Would be nice to choose other themes for the forums as well. Not everyone is a fan of bright forum pages, and darker themes are easier on some people's eyes. This may not be the most important thing, but would be a nice addition at some point.
    The forum software doesn't allow for multiple skins like this. We have gotten feedback from many players that want a darker theme for reading the forums, and a single alternative may be possible in the future.
    Cuyler wrote: »
    We're not looking at new emoticons at the moment, but if we do cheese and fishysticks would be great! The latter does have a long and colorful history for Elder Scrolls forums.
    It's not possible to hide or bookmark individual posts; currently the only way to hide content is by ignoring the user.

The overhaul will add some options for customizing the forums at a macro level, with ability to toggle categories open and closed, and maybe individual forums as well. However there aren't any options currently for selectively hiding threads or posts.
    Voodoo wrote: »
    one other thing that would be nice to have. (and save time clicking on those titled posts that dont really tell you what they're about)

Would be nice to mouse over the thread title and see the first sentence or so of what the OP wrote. kind of like a tool tip. That way you can see a bit more about a certain thread with out having to open it.
    We looked into this, but it wasn't something we could include as part of this overhaul. It's still something we're interested in for the future.

Staff Post
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's not possible to hide or bookmark individual posts; currently the only way to hide content is by ignoring the user.

The overhaul will add some options for customizing the forums at a macro level, with ability to toggle categories open and closed, and maybe individual forums as well. However there aren't any options currently for selectively hiding threads or posts.

@Zos_AlanG hiding the posts/threads isn't what we want.

What we want is to be able to click on a thread and select an option so that we are no longer being told how many new posts there are.

We clickj on some threads to see what they are about, find them uninteresting, but the forums assume we want to know how many new posts.
    Which means we can end up accidently opening them, realising we don't want that one, and closing it. A minor annoyance I'll agree, but an annoying one.
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jroc wrote: »
    The forum software doesn't allow for multiple skins like this. We have gotten feedback from many players that want a darker theme for reading the forums, and a single alternative may be possible in the future.
    Cuyler wrote: »
    We're not looking at new emoticons at the moment, but if we do cheese and fishysticks would be great! The latter does have a long and colorful history for Elder Scrolls forums.

Voodoo wrote: »

We looked into this, but it wasn't something we could include as part of this overhaul. It's still something we're interested in for the future.
    Just admit ZOS' web developers don't have the skills or experience to craft their own forum software and go out and license one of the several around which provide most of the innumerable features this one lacks and people expect in a 21st century web forum .. this one is barely better than the BBS systems of 30 years ago.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on November 5, 2014 7:34AM
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if like more then 12 humans on this world are going to suck?

I have found this a difficult forum but, you're right. You'd need to add a zero to that number but more so to the game itself than to here. Too many in the game forget they're on the Internet and lapse into nothing but discussion of the United States thinking that North America is the United States.

Here the worst of it is the tone that assumes that game developers are less than human. You don't address a rabid dog that way. It's difficult to read and singularly unhelpful.
  • zharthasb16_ESO
    zharthasb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    suggestion: having pic of our character in forum (like blizzard forums)- ex: picture and info nightblade v8 DW ...and when we clic on the pictures of the user we can see their info
    Megaserver US - since 2014
  • Nic727
    Nic727
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys, work is progressing well for the forum overhaul, which is due later this autumn. Most of the content is in final testing, so we wanted to give you a sneak peak. Work is ongoing, and the final product may differ somewhat from these screenshots (included in the spoiler tags below). Feedback is welcome, but that doesn't mean we can take everything into account before this goes live.

One of our priorities has been to make the forums easier to navigate. To that end we’ll be introducing language selection and flattening the forum structure entirely – there will no longer be any sub-forums.
    t1gwxe0cgz9n.png
    Categories on the front page can be collapsed, demonstrated here with the Support category (which will still contain a general help forum and PC and Mac tech forums).

t6ci6bh6p6ha.png

94otch98v4yt.png

By popular request the Developer Tracker will no longer have columns. It will likely cover all three languages, as applying a language filter here will result in a delay before it is populated. Recent Discussions may be filtered by language.
    j2speheul7i6.png
    Looking good!
  • thren_fellhorn
    I just want to know when the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves guild will be coming to ESO. When Will they arrive?
  • zharthasb16_ESO
    zharthasb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I just want to know when the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves guild will be coming to ESO. When Will they arrive?

wrong place for your meesage -2015 for dark broterhood
    Megaserver US - since 2014
  • Ara_Valleria
    Ara_Valleria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is anyone having loggin issues after todays patch ?! Cause i sure cant loggin :(
    Been trying since the past 8 hours :'(
    Tried contacting customer care but no response from them yet.

ZoS please halp !!
    °‡° ÁDAMANT °‡°
    The Addon Abusers, Exploiters & Macro'ers Refuge
    •••• | Ara Valleria - AD NightBlade | Templàra Valleria - AD Templar | Åra Valleria - AD DragonKnight | Ára V - AD DragonKnight | Ara Laifu - DC NightBlade | Ara Waifu - EP Sorcerer | ••••

••••••| YOUTUBE |••••••
    Want to take a break from all the Lagging|Crashing|Cancer ?
    Play Albion Online
  • Laz
    Laz
    ✭✭✭
    Questions that never get an answer picked after X amount of days (90 days?) to be removed from the unanswered questions section on the right side. Senseless clutter.
    Been around watchin'. Time to start talkin'. - Twitch: twitch.tv/lazisonline
    Prior host of TESO Elite game-play twitch streams
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any new ETA on the deployment of these changes yet?
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Any new ETA on the deployment of these changes yet?

"Later this Automn". Should be max 1 month from now on.
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

t1gwxe0cgz9n.png

t6ci6bh6p6ha.png

94otch98v4yt.png

j2speheul7i6.png

Very cool. I've gotten used to the current layout so it will be a strange transition. But I fully approve of the new design as it is much more in line with a traditional format.
  • Nic727
    Nic727
    ✭✭✭✭
    Almost winter :)
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    Nic727 wrote: »
    Almost winter :)

image.jpg?w=400&c=1
    Edited by diabeticDemon18 on December 3, 2014 7:58PM
This discussion has been closed.