The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Bosmer Antlers?

ForestGuard
ForestGuard
✭✭✭
This might not be the right forum, but I am a customer, and I need support. My main character since pre-beta has been a bosmer "druid"-type with a fully grown pair of antlers. I know a lot of people have wondered why they have them. There are a few theories, some better than others, but I'm finally tired of speculation. Is there any chance we'll ever find out about them?

We know why the dunmer have red eyes. We know why the orcs are green and have tusks. Where's the origin story for bosmer antlers? Is it the Chaos Times, the fact that they were changing from plant to animal to mer and back again, before Y'ffre bound them to one form? How do bosmer react to those with antlers? Are they seen as closer or further from Y'ffre, is there a relation to Hircine? I've noticed a lot of NPC Spinners have antlers... So I can make guesses, but it's not solid enough to inform roleplay.
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This existing post has a good answer in it; even if it is a bit speculative:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/86563/bosmer-lore-question
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • ZOS_AmeliaR
    ZOS_AmeliaR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of Bosmer wear cosmetic, or prosthetic, antlers on their brows. A very few have them magically grown from their skulls.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of Bosmer wear cosmetic, or prosthetic, antlers on their brows. A very few have them magically grown from their skulls.
    Wait, so they aren't born with them? Why do they decide to grow them? What does the ritual involve? How...

So many new unanswered questions. :'( Speculation time!
  • ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forestguard to the rescue!

Still wish you were on EU though, I would love to meet your Bosmer character ICly.
    Nighren - The Shadow Striker
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

Want to roleplay in elder scrolls online? Check out eso-rp.com
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I might be going out on a limb here, but I don't think it's necessary in RP to be able to explain in full detail every single aspect of a culture.

I mean IRL, I'm English, but I don't understand Morris Dancing, and wouldn't be able to explain it to anyone in detail (if at all).
    Edited by Epona222 on October 17, 2014 7:48PM
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody understands Morris dancing. They are winging it as they go, making up explanations after the fact. So, it works exactly like TES lore. :wink:
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dremora have them too.

12161-1-1275171125.jpg
  • ForestGuard
    ForestGuard
    ✭✭✭

This is what some people were thinking pre-launch but it seems very clear to me that the ones available at Character Creation are not cosmetic / prosthetic. There are even three stages of growth.

There are, however, head-pieces with antlers / horns on them, like what King Camoran Aeradan wears, if that's what you're referring to.

So-... If you're saying that horns are only ever magically and purposefully grown onto a bosmer's skull or attached as ornaments don't you think that should be stated somewhere in-game? I know I'm not the only person who's had their antlers be an innate trait that they were born with.

I went out on a limb, saying that the Hircine-worshipping tribe Epherus was born to was persuaded to give him up to a Temple of Y'ffre, that he was a "fawn born to wolves". I suppose it could be an alteration spell though...