The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Where's the "Disagree - Dislike" button?!!

• zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I actually use the LOL both ways; its up to the author the guess how it was meant. And others have clearly used it that way on my posts.

• zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem with downvote or disagree buttons is they can be used irresponsibly with the potential consequence that it will shut of needed discourse. A small but tenacious minority can just always slam an author or an idea to oblivion and people will just stop posting.

I have noticed I myself that getting negative votes on reddit for a relatively innocuous comment; causes me to participate less. (On the rare occasions I make a nasty or overtly negative comment I don't mind getting downvotes - its kind of deserved; its the harmless ones that bother me)
  • Oolou
    Oolou
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a little sad that the LOL button has been unofficially adopted by many to show disagreement. I didn't realise this until a few months ago and it hasn't affected me much as I just use the awesome button now when I would previously have used the LOL button, but eh ... *shrugs*

I wouldn't mind a disagree button. A discussion/debate will often have differing voices. Yes, there will be some who abuse this. Such is life.
  • Voodoo
    Voodoo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oolou wrote: »
    I'm a little sad that the LOL button has been unofficially adopted by many to show disagreement. I didn't realise this until a few months ago and it hasn't affected me much as I just use the awesome button now when I would previously have used the LOL button, but eh ... *shrugs*

I wouldn't mind a disagree button. A discussion/debate will often have differing voices. Yes, there will be some who abuse this. Such is life.

Ya this exactly plus disagree should not impact your forum standing ...in fact you should be equally rewarded with, like i said before, a forum badge called something like "Thick Hide" for being savvy enough to post an opinion that is not widely shared yet the contribution is what counts here not the fact that users disagreed or not.

Having LOL a bastardized disagree is sub par. And like you Oolou I dont use it for that but now the poster may interpret a lol vote as a negative.

Get rid of Agree and LOL and leave Insightful and Awesome then.

• AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Voodoo wrote: »
    Oolou wrote: »

Ya this exactly plus disagree should not impact your forum standing ...in fact you should be equally rewarded with, like i said before, a forum badge called something like "Thick Hide" for being savvy enough to post an opinion that is not widely shared yet the contribution is what counts here not the fact that users disagreed or not.

Having LOL a bastardized disagree is sub par. And like you Oolou I dont use it for that but now the poster may interpret a lol vote as a negative.

Get rid of Agree and LOL and leave Insightful and Awesome then.

Disagree can only be abused, if you disagree with me then say why, most of us can take a little disagreement. But clicking on a button and not saying is just trolling

And if you say why you disagree and say why, then the button is pointless, because the post says you disagree.

As for Awesome, Insightful and Agree, you don't actually need to say why you agree with someone. The fact you agree means you have a similar viewpoint on that issue, explaining that is time-wasting, so it just gets shortened to "+1 I agree".
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Vizier
    Vizier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was removed so as to protect the tendency toward emoism which seems so prominent these days.

@Armitas‌ Nobody owes you an explanation of their disagreement. You "want" an explanation. That you 'want' someone to explain their disagreement in order to accept disagreement is laughable. Good grief.

And then you have those that want to express their opinions without taking responsibility for the brown stinky stuff that is actually coming out of their mouths. The only way a person should be protected from their opinion is by keeping silent. You open your mouth, accept the feedback, positive or negative...shrug.
    Edited by Vizier on October 16, 2014 5:25PM
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never going to have one, they yell at people and remove their posts when they get "too mean."

I woke up to 2 notifications this morning, 1 was a message from a ZOS employee stating that my comments X and Y were too mean for the forums and that they were being removed.

2nd notifcation was about how I had reached 500 Awesomes.
    Edited by WraithAzraiel on October 16, 2014 5:17PM
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • ZOS_AmeliaR
    ZOS_AmeliaR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, everyone. We appreciate your feedback regarding the existing reaction flags and what you might like to see added or removed. A couple months ago, we posted in a thread on this same topic to explain why we removed negative reaction flags like Dislike and Disagree.

As part of the forum overhaul we are working on (discussed in this thread), we are considering changes to the reaction flags and are certainly open to the feedback you all are providing. Of course, please make sure to keep your feedback constructive. Thank you!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Voodoo
    Voodoo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @_ZOS_AmeliaR I didnt realize such a huge debate had already started.

I will go over to that thread and voice my opinion over there. ...let this one die out.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @WraithAzraiel‌ but you don't have 500 awesomes?
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vizier wrote: »

@Armitas‌ Nobody owes you an explanation of their disagreement. You "want" an explanation. That you 'want' someone to explain their disagreement in order to accept disagreement is laughable. Good grief.

@Vizier You raise a point I hadn't considered. While it would be a shame to receive 50 disagrees without any explanation, it would also be a shame if a portion of those 50 disagrees are simply due to people being unable to read what is written.

For example I never said that I was "owed" an explanation. Nor did I say that I "want someone to explain their disagreement in order to accept disagreement". Examples, like the one you give here, make me further glad there isn't a disagree button.
    Edited by Armitas on October 16, 2014 6:28PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    @WraithAzraiel‌ but you don't have 500 awesomes?

Err 500 comments and 250 Awesomes, whatever I haven't had coffee yet
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inversus wrote: »
    It was removed due to abuse during the beta, we did have a disagree button.
    If they made it so the disagree button wasn't tallied up on your profile, and didn't remove pts or anything, then I think a disagree button would be useful on posts.

The issue was there were cases where members would disagree every single post their target user made, but I don't see why this would be an issue if they made sure disagrees didn't affect the person they are targeted at since it would be useful as it was in the beta.

As it is, some members of the community have taken to using the LOL tag in the same way. I know I've racked up over 150 LOLs in the last 3 days because someone didn't like that I didn't endorse their terrible plan to punish anyone that plays in groups, and they were LOLing all my posts for days.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they made it so the disagree button wasn't tallied up on your profile, and didn't remove pts or anything, then I think a disagree button would be useful on posts.

The issue was there were cases where members would disagree every single post their target user made, but I don't see why this would be an issue if they made sure disagrees didn't affect the person they are targeted at since it would be useful as it was in the beta.

As it is, some members of the community have taken to using the LOL tag in the same way. I know I've racked up over 150 LOLs in the last 3 days because someone didn't like that I didn't endorse their terrible plan to punish anyone that plays in groups, and they were LOLing all my posts for days.

Once they give you enough lols for a badge, jokes on them. They just upped your points in the profile window.

Badge..............."LOLs" received
    LOL1 (+5)...................5
    LOL2 (+5)...................25
    LOL3 (+10).................100
    LOL4 (+25).................250
    LOL5 (+50).................500
    Edited by Armitas on October 16, 2014 6:44PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armitas wrote: »

Once they give you enough lols for a badge, jokes on them. They just upped your points in the profile window.

Yep. If they keep doing this, I'll hit 500 by the end of the week. :p

I'm not sure if there's a LOL6 (1k), though it is possible.
  • ExiledKhallisi
    ExiledKhallisi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree button is needed. The "LOL" button can be taken both ways as either approval or mockery. Its neither good or bad and you cant distinguish it. A "Disagree" button would give posters insight on whether or not they have the approval of the general public here on the forums or not.

LOL: You thought something was funny, you laughed out loud.

Disagree: You dont agree what was said.

Dislike: You dont approve of what was said. Or are just butthurt in denial about what was said.
    >>>>>>>>(DC)Guild Master of Biestas 250+ Active Members<<<<<<<<
    ||||||Vr14 Sorc: Darkened Soul vr14 Templar: Tiffaney||||||
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
    ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
  • Voodoo
    Voodoo
    ✭✭✭✭

Perfect now change that lame LOL into "I Object" (or sumn), call the badge 'Thick Skinned" and give them points for having a opinion!

Edited by Voodoo on October 16, 2014 6:53PM
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree button is needed. The "LOL" button can be taken both ways as either approval or mockery. Its neither good or bad and you cant distinguish it. A "Disagree" button would give posters insight on whether or not they have the approval of the general public here on the forums or not.

Dislike: You dont approve of what was said. Or are just butthurt in denial about what was said.

Do you disagree? Then post something explaining your disagreement. No button needed.
    ----
    Murray?
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree with the OP.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree/dislike buttons are for social rejects that want to avoid voicing their reasons for disagreeing. They just wanna disagree button and run away. That doesn't help or add to the discussion. They just end up being troll bait. Just leave that to the LoL button.
  • Voodoo
    Voodoo
    ✭✭✭✭
    GreySix wrote: »
    I disagree with the OP.

now wouldnt you just rather have a flag to press instead adding a lame sentence?

• Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My thoughts exactly. Lol button is already being used for trolling by certain players, but it is also being used for positive feedback by others, so it's really the wrong button. Disagree would have more clear function and it would maybe prevent some posts like this:
    I disagree with the OP.

Slightly off topic: Why are so many of you so concerned by your forum standings?
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Razzak wrote: »
    I disagree with the OP.

Slightly off topic: Why are so many of you so concerned by your forum standings?

Because the "lol" tag works as a kind of "point and laugh" drive by trolling?

I mean, do you honestly like the idea of being laughed at by random strangers when you're sharing your thoughts?
  • Potenza
    Potenza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure have a disagree, dislike or whatever button but do not let those points accumulate or show on your profile - only let it show within specific thread. This way it only means something in that particular thread but not on your profile as a whole.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure have a disagree, dislike or whatever button but do not let those points accumulate or show on your profile - only let it show within specific thread. This way it only means something in that particular thread but not on your profile as a whole.

It wouldn't help, you'd get people that would stalk your profile disliking or disapproving of every post you made. Sort like the sad, lonely puppy that was LOLing all of my posts back on Monday or Tuesday.
  • Voodoo
    Voodoo
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter! The simple fact that you posted something should go towards having points. If people disagree with your post then GREAT you helped create communication, participation and opinion. Nothing wrong with that, and you should get points for disagrees/dislikes/disproves all the same!
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I know as an admin on several FPS based fan site forums, I have never seen a problem with a disagree button. And FPS shooter forums are much worse than this forum.
    After all in a democracy how can you have an "agree" without a "disagree"
    vote?
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All I know as an admin on several FPS based fan site forums, I have never seen a problem with a disagree button. And FPS shooter forums are much worse than this forum.
    vote?

It was removed because it was being abused.

That's a fact, not an opinion.

And how exactly does a system of voting people into office have anything at all to do with a disagree button?
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vote?

1. This forum isn't a democracy.
    2. You can have an Agree option without adding the unnecessary troll-bait of a Disagree option. For evidence: see this forum. Which is not a democracy.
    3. Why do people have such a hard time grasping that they don't deserve to have their disagreement heard if they can't provide an argument? If you disagree with someone, you need to state a reason. I'm not saying that it's "owed" to anyone. I'm not saying that you'll get in trouble if you don't. I, as a rational human being, am pointing out that refusing to explain your position on a discussion forum is utterly pointless.

Disagree buttons are for lazy little trolls who don't have the brains or inclination to actually make a stab at an argument. They can play the game all they like, but they don't belong on a discussion forum.
    ----
    Murray?
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    vote?

1. This forum isn't a democracy.
    2. You can have an Agree option without adding the unnecessary troll-bait of a Disagree option. For evidence: see this forum. Which is not a democracy.
    3. Why do people have such a hard time grasping that they don't deserve to have their disagreement heard if they can't provide an argument? If you disagree with someone, you need to state a reason. I'm not saying that it's "owed" to anyone. I'm not saying that you'll get in trouble if you don't. I, as a rational human being, am pointing out that refusing to explain your position on a discussion forum is utterly pointless.

Disagree buttons are for lazy little trolls who don't have the brains or inclination to actually make a stab at an argument. They can play the game all they like, but they don't belong on a discussion forum.

Couldn't agree more, especially with point 3, it's basic.
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule