The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Invulnerability exploit.

• bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glory and shame alone define online gaming as an unique entertainment medium. The balance between the two determines the quality of the game and the experience for people who play for the competitive multiplayer, community features.

A phrase like naming and shaming sounds catchy. It's cute. It's also flawed policy. Three strikes and you're out sounds cool too and is responsible for all manner of bizarre horrors....outside of baseball that is.

Name calling would be just dreadful here, however. But listing people, by name, who have been banned from the game for a range of offenses is sound policy. It also does wonders for both an online game and its community.

Having a leader board without a banned list is having half an online game. Well....unlike the leader board, I think you could make banned list notifications optional ;)
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Columba wrote: »
    That's why he used it with Gorbachev

That's not the point. The point is that most people think that those were Reagan's words, and they aren't. It doesn't matter how many people think something is true, that doesn't mean that it is true.

That applies very well to this thread.
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glory and shame alone define online gaming as an unique entertainment medium. The balance between the two determines the quality of the game and the experience for people who play for the competitive multiplayer, community features.

A phrase like naming and shaming sounds catchy. It's cute. It's also flawed policy. Three strikes and you're out sounds cool too and is responsible for all manner of bizarre horrors....outside of baseball that is.

Name calling would be just dreadful here, however. But listing people, by name, who have been banned from the game for a range of offenses is sound policy. It also does wonders for both an online game and its community.

Having a leader board without a banned list is having half an online game. Well....unlike the leader board, I think you could make banned list notifications optional ;)

I've heard of some horrible ideas for this game, but this one sets the bar impossibly high. Isn't the atmosphere toxic enough, without adding a list of shame? I can't imagine a world where this idea would ever fly, especially from a legal standpoint.

"Glory and shame alone define online gaming as an unique entertainment medium."

This is a truly horrifying and perverted take on "entertainment." "Shame" isn't part of any mature person's entertainment universe.
  • Absinthe
    Absinthe
    ✭✭✭
    Broken game is broken.
  • Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Srugzal wrote: »

That's not the point. The point is that most people think that those were Reagan's words, and they aren't. It doesn't matter how many people think something is true, that doesn't mean that it is true.

Reagan brought them to life and made them part of the English vernacular. I am not worried about who gets credit for the phrase, lol.
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Reagan brought them to life and made them part of the English vernacular. I am not worried about who gets credit for the phrase, lol.

As you always seem to do, @Columba, you missed the point completely.

Lol indeed...
    Edited by Srugzal on September 25, 2014 6:57PM
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Lol indeed...

Your point is the invulnerabilty exploit is in fact working intended mechanics right? Lol indeed .....
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erock25 wrote: »

Lol indeed...

Your point is the invulnerabilty exploit is in fact working intended mechanics right? Lol indeed .....

Another knee-jerk reaction. How nice.

No, I have never said that. I am not on any "side" of this argument. But I don't believe that saying "it's an exploit" over and over makes it so. As many reasonable people have pointed out, the videos don't constitute proof.

Laughing out loud at reasonable doubt doesn't exactly serve your case, either. Since the only argument you have left in your favor is to mock anyone who appears to disagree with you, perhaps you should examine your motives.
  • Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol indeed...
    I know my history, friend. I got the point. I didnt consider it relevant. My point stands: we can trust zenimax to do the right thing here, but we will verify and speak up if the right things aren't done.
  • Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the videos don't constitute proof that something is wrong, eg. a broken mechanic, then I don't know what will. Exploit in the original meaning of the term is a verb that implies taking advantage of something. It doesn't necessarily imply illicit behavior. There's a broken mechanic, people are certainly taking advantage of it.
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol indeed...
    I know my history, friend. I got the point. I didnt consider it relevant. My point stands: we can trust zenimax to do the right thing here, but we will verify and speak up if the right things aren't done.

Nope, missed again.

• Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol indeed...

Nope, missed again.

I think you've missed the point of the entire thread. It's ok, some people think perma invulnerability is balanced. Lol
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Srugzal on September 26, 2014 9:51AM
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the videos don't constitute proof that something is wrong, eg. a broken mechanic, then I don't know what will. Exploit in the original meaning of the term is a verb that implies taking advantage of something. It doesn't necessarily imply illicit behavior. There's a broken mechanic, people are certainly taking advantage of it.

...and doing so is a bannable offense, and you know it. You can't use a reductio ad absurdum argument to deflate the word "exploit" to suit the moment.

The videos are suggestive, but not proof. The proof lies in the hands of the in-game moderators, and in those who are working to identify what mechanic, if any, is actually broken, by reliably reproducing it. That would be proof.

This is another of those cases in which the phrase "broken mechanic" is used to describe something that seems OP. Sometimes the mechanic has been shown to have underlying bugs (batswarm, for one) but many other things have been subjected to this description. Bash. Simple blocking. Sneaking. Even impulse zergballs. The so-called "animation cancelling." "Shield stacking" is another. And now, perhaps, mist form. Or maybe not. The list goes on and on. I'm not suggesting that we re-litigate all of those, far from it. I'm just pointing out that it's part of a pattern.

Only a fool would contend that ALL or NONE of these are "broken mechanics." However, the claim is not the proof. Sometimes the proof is difficult to come by.

I'm glad you're content to let the investigations going on behind the scenes run their course. ZOS doesn't have the best track record when it comes to fixing bugs, assuming there are any, so of course you we all will be standing by ready to verify.
    Edited by Srugzal on September 26, 2014 10:00AM
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you've missed the point of the entire thread. It's ok, some people think perma invulnerability is balanced. Lol

That is not my view, as I've explained before. It's possible to disagree with you about what constitutes "proof" without coming to the absurd conclusion you're suggesting in the comment above.

Edited by Srugzal on September 26, 2014 9:54AM
  • Darthryan
    Darthryan
    ✭✭✭
    So after a thoro search, this is the only site that this has been posted on. I looked at video on youtube and the guy was getting healed by another from the lower level of the keep. Is this really a real problem? If so give some links to other videos. Message me or mail me ingame.@mriguy1981. Kinda want to see what's this is all about. I only see dks with their op ness not taking very much damage but that's just them.
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard of some horrible ideas for this game, but this one sets the bar impossibly high. Isn't the atmosphere toxic enough, without adding a list of shame? I can't imagine a world where this idea would ever fly, especially from a legal standpoint.

"Glory and shame alone define online gaming as an unique entertainment medium."

This is a truly horrifying and perverted take on "entertainment." "Shame" isn't part of any mature person's entertainment universe.

Actually this has been done and done successfully. It may well have saved Ultima Online. It was the mass bannings, and not just the bannings of offenders but the banning of everyone in guilds of offenders under the legitimate assumption that people shared their knowledge of exploits with their guildmates, that brought players back in droves.

I refer you to this.

And to the fact the shame is the glue holding together the most civilized societies today and in human history. It's abuses are horrifying of course. But it remains sine qua non in the proper dosage.

Removing shame from most online games was a mistake and a rather cowardly one I'm afraid. And it is, in part, responsible for the shift of these games to solo focus and near complete obsession with achievement.
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and I should add that shame works very well today in the kill mails in Eve Online. I don't think I, personally, would have gone that far but I can't argue that they've been effective.
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and I should add that shame works very well today in the kill mails in Eve Online. I don't think I, personally, would have gone that far but I can't argue that they've been effective.

Interesting. How is what is essentially a combat log, if I understand the description I read here, about shame? And what is it they've been effective in doing? It looks like just transparency to me; that word "shame" is problematic.

I have, by the way, mentioned in this thread or elsewhere, that this is a case where the original addon API would have been very helpful, since we would indeed have a complete combat log of every buff, ability, DoT, etc, that's involved in these encounters. We would have the equivalent of your killmail, which would be real evidence, and would not have to rely on an essentially non-communicative ZOS or anecdotal descriptions (like the OP you linked to) to settle the issue.

More transparency would be a great help here. If this is the kind of thing that you're suggesting, I'm all for it.
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If getting a 70% permanent reduced damage is acceptable and "very skilled", the player damage itself should be significantly reduced like in any other game. If you wanna be tanky, then you deal less damage, pure common sense. This is not the case right now though. I still get hit by 700-900dmg flame lash by any vamp one hand shield Dk soloing a 20men army.
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frozywozy wrote: »
    If getting a 70% permanent reduced damage is acceptable and "very skilled", the player damage itself should be significantly reduced like in any other game. If you wanna be tanky, then you deal less damage, pure common sense. This is not the case right now though. I still get hit by 700-900dmg flame lash by any vamp one hand shield Dk soloing a 20men army.
    This is what the apologists for the status quo refuse to address. They get all tangled up with whether it's technically an exploit or not and thus miss the forest for the trees. Perma invulnerability while being able to put out extreme dps is laughably flawed. It's driving people away from the game. Silence on this problem is creating suspicions.
  • ZOS_MichaelServotte
    ZOS_MichaelServotte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks,

Due to the complexity of this situation, we needed a little bit more time than usual to investigate. We wanted to make sure we had a complete understanding of the reported issue, with a good view of what was reported; this helped us better define what is functioning as intended from what needed to be addressed.

Thanks to all the reports, data, explanations, and videos you shared with us in this thread, our team is able to have a complete picture of the situation. While we have seen some situations being a normal combination of abilities (defensive and offensive ones), we also identified some areas where some changes could be applied. We are now in the process of making those changes (which will appear in the patch notes when pushed to live) and getting the changes approved/verified by our QA team, so that we can see when we will be able to push it to the live servers.

Once again, the situation discussed here involves a lot of moving parts and we prefer to move carefully, not wanting to break anything else in the process of addressing game balance. We will keep you updated as those changes are done.

Thank you for your diligent reporting and patience on this matter!
    Michaël Servotte
    Community Manager (FR) - Gestionnaire de communauté francophone - The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube
    Staff Post
  • Dleatherus
    Dleatherus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    we also identified some areas where some changes could be applied

lol - it's called exploiting game mechanics to produce an unintended result that gives the exploiter an unfair advantage over other players - in this case almost god like invulnerability

it's not that difficult to say - try it some time

kudos for finally communicating about it!!!

D.
    Edited by Dleatherus on September 26, 2014 10:59PM
    Stands in Puddles VR12 NB
    Dleatherus VR10 Templar

Emperor Farmers, cheaters and exploiters - just like cockroaches in real life, Tamriel will never be rid of them
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks,

Due to the complexity of this situation, we needed a little bit more time than usual to investigate. We wanted to make sure we had a complete understanding of the reported issue, with a good view of what was reported; this helped us better define what is functioning as intended from what needed to be addressed.

Thanks to all the reports, data, explanations, and videos you shared with us in this thread, our team is able to have a complete picture of the situation. While we have seen some situations being a normal combination of abilities (defensive and offensive ones), we also identified some areas where some changes could be applied. We are now in the process of making those changes (which will appear in the patch notes when pushed to live) and getting the changes approved/verified by our QA team, so that we can see when we will be able to push it to the live servers.

Once again, the situation discussed here involves a lot of moving parts and we prefer to move carefully, not wanting to break anything else in the process of addressing game balance. We will keep you updated as those changes are done.

Thank you for your diligent reporting and patience on this matter!

Thank you @ZOS_MichaelServotte‌

I only wish you could identify which things are being patched but perhaps that would identify the manner of the exploit and cause more people to use this until it is patched.

Still, it will be nice to actually be able to kill certain players in the game again without needing a mob of people.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you. Given the inherent complexity and a history of some patches opening up new issues, please ensure full testing. Also, you must have a design principle or outcome against which you are evaluating your improvements. It would be helpful for us to know what is or isn't considered an acceptable outcome so that we can provide feedback. For example, what is the longest any player should get invulnerability?

Further, with said parameters, I would warn players that anyone caught intentionally abusing mechanics to evade these principles will be subject to a warning and further disciplinary actions. Not intended is a reasonableness check for players to think twice before they decide to go into god mode.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon
    ✭✭✭
    So it took 15 days and 15 pages to get an acknowledgment...that s progress
  • Uncensored1
    Uncensored1
    Soul Shriven
    Why doesn't someone post how to use the exploit in detail? At least it would even the playing field!
  • Drazhar14
    Drazhar14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't read through this whole thing, but I just want to confirm enemies not being damaged by sneak attacks in PvE. This has happened to me a few times using Lethal Arrow from stealth - it would hit, the enemy would become alerted to me, but no damage would be done.
  • Bezilar
    Thank you. Given the inherent complexity and a history of some patches opening up new issues, please ensure full testing. Also, you must have a design principle or outcome against which you are evaluating your improvements. It would be helpful for us to know what is or isn't considered an acceptable outcome so that we can provide feedback. For example, what is the longest any player should get invulnerability?

Further, with said parameters, I would warn players that anyone caught intentionally abusing mechanics to evade these principles will be subject to a warning and further disciplinary actions. Not intended is a reasonableness check for players to think twice before they decide to go into god mode.

"with said parameters" ...lmfao!
  • Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"with said parameters" ...lmfao!

too difficult for you to comprehend? please clarify. I understand life in pvp has been a little bit rougher for you lately. my condolences.

This discussion has been closed.