The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

"Shaky Cam" when sprinting

Aett_Thorn
Aett_Thorn
✭✭✭✭✭
Is there any way to disable this effect? It wasn't like this before today's patch, and I'd like to know how to turn it off.

Basically, when sprinting in first-person view now, there is a slight rocking back and forth, as if you're watching through a shaky cam. This effect tends to give me a sense of discomfort, and over long periods, can give me headaches and nausea. As such, I'd really like to know if I can turn it off, because if there's not, that's really not going to be conducive to me playing the game.

Already tried turning smoothing both on and off, no change in the movement of the cam in first-person view.

Thanks.
  • jrgray93
    jrgray93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What's a first-person?

Also, I think somebody else reported this in another thread and they are "looking into it."

For the time being, I think using normal-person view is the only option.
    Edited by jrgray93 on September 15, 2014 6:41PM
    EP: Slania Isara : Harambe Was an Inside Job
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Third-person view: looking at the game world over your character's shoulder.

First-person view: looking at the game world through your character's eyes.
  • Drazhar14
    Drazhar14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the shaky camera effect...
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure that there are some people who like it, and I don't mind it being in the game. I just need to be able to turn it off somehow, or I'm going to get a headache every time I play.
  • jrgray93
    jrgray93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol Aett, I was just messing with you, since I despise first-person in this game. I do, however, think you should be able to have a first-person experience that won't give you headaches if that is what you want. I hope they fix that soon.
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jrgray93 wrote: »
    Lol Aett, I was just messing with you, since I despise first-person in this game. I do, however, think you should be able to have a first-person experience that won't give you headaches if that is what you want. I hope they fix that soon.

Haha...I figured that something was wrong here, but figured maybe it was a language issue or something. But thanks for the support.

Going to tag @Zos_GinaBruno here and maybe see if the is an official way to turn this off.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who at ZOS thought that it was a good idea to add an epileptic seizure simulator to the game? Seriously?
    confused24.gif
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it's helm-cam! Hasn't anyone ever seen Amazing Race?
    Give 'er eh!
  • jrgray93
    jrgray93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Who at ZOS thought that it was a good idea to add an epileptic seizure simulator to the game? Seriously?
    confused24.gif
    /cast Blinding Flashes

♪FLASH! A-AAHHH!♪

*convulses, dies*
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aett_Thorn wrote: »
    Is there any way to disable this effect? It wasn't like this before today's patch, and I'd like to know how to turn it off.

Basically, when sprinting in first-person view now, there is a slight rocking back and forth, as if you're watching through a shaky cam. This effect tends to give me a sense of discomfort, and over long periods, can give me headaches and nausea. As such, I'd really like to know if I can turn it off, because if there's not, that's really not going to be conducive to me playing the game.

Already tried turning smoothing both on and off, no change in the movement of the cam in first-person view.

Thanks.

At the same time can we get a third-person FOV and camera height/centering adjustment slider? Some people get nausea, discomfort, and the same types of ill feelings that you are getting from the first-person issue you describe. Both things need options.
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.

At the same time can we get a third-person FOV and camera height/centering adjustment slider? Some people get nausea, discomfort, and the same types of ill feelings that you are getting from the first-person issue you describe. Both things need options.

Also agree to this. It's one of the reasons I don't like playing in third-person view. The camera is just off enough to throw me off.
  • ZOS_JasonLeavey
    ZOS_JasonLeavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there, everyone. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We can confirm that the "shaky cam" head bobbing effect seen while sprinting in first-person was unintentional, and we're working on a fix to correct it.

Thanks for your patience while we investigated your reports.
    Jason Leavey
    Community Coordinator - The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
    Staff Post
  • sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey there, everyone. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We can confirm that the "shaky cam" head bobbing effect seen while sprinting in first-person was unintentional, and we're working on a fix to correct it.

Is it being removed completely/for good? I def understand it needs to be a option, but I like it my self. Even though I don't use 1st person often, it makes it seem less like a floating camera to me.
    @sean8102 - Carlore - Daggerfall Covenant
  • Csub
    Csub
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have the patch yet, EU player here, but I definitely missed it after Skyrim. Is it possible that you leave it ingame as optional? Maybe fine tune it a bit but please let us have it if we want it! It greatly adds to the feel in first person mode.
    "The Divines gave you a nose for a reason, Tharn. So you can keep your mouth shut and still keep breathing. - Lyris Titanborn
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Thanks.

Also agree to this. It's one of the reasons I don't like playing in third-person view. The camera is just off enough to throw me off.

Yeah :(. I would say camera options are needed in general or both modes. More work on first person like like a toggle for the sprint bobbing, and the options like fov and height/centering sliders for 3rd.
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a spectacularly bad idea!
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • bedlom
    bedlom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it.
  • bedlom
    bedlom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't take it out all together pls. That would be a slight burn.
  • dcincali
    dcincali
    ✭✭✭✭

I love how they try to sneak stuff in and when its called out as not being enjoyable, its "unintentional". Like, who told that dev to add it in the first place? If it wasn't instructed, why was it done? What ELSE are the devs slipping into patches uninstructed or unintentional? No wonder they have to go back and re-edit patch notes due to paying customers finding out changes that the "Q A team" (they still have that right) missed. One day ZOS will get it together.. One day.
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

dcincali wrote: »
    I love how they try to sneak stuff in and when its called out as not being enjoyable, its "unintentional". Like, who told that dev to add it in the first place? If it wasn't instructed, why was it done? What ELSE are the devs slipping into patches uninstructed or unintentional? No wonder they have to go back and re-edit patch notes due to paying customers finding out changes that the "Q A team" (they still have that right) missed. One day ZOS will get it together.. One day.
    I have to agree with this, for the most part. How in the name of all that's good and holy does an effect like this happen accidentally?
    Edited by MorHawk on September 15, 2014 11:20PM
    Observant wrote: »
    I can count to potato.
    another topic that cant see past its own farts.
    WWJLHD?
  • MercerFrey
    MercerFrey
    Soul Shriven
    dcincali wrote: »

An animation glitch causing view-bob when sprinting isn't impossible from a technical standpoint, and here's why. Note that I am not a ZOS representative and thus cannot speak with certainty on how the game systems are actually designed; this is merely conjecture based on previous trends in the series and in game design.

Some games will attach the player camera to the character's animation rig as opposed to having it sit motionless as a predefined location. Doing so allows for the camera action to blend with the animations. TESV: Skyrim used this technique for its killmoves, both in first and thirdperson.

It isn't unfeasible then, that ZOS would do something similar in their game. Indeed, evidence points to this being the case: several moves in the game will move your camera view in first-person in lockstep with your attack. A good example of this is a fully-charged Death Strike. It may not be a prevalent mechanic, but it is there.

Consider also that ZOS, according to the 1.4.3 patch notes recently tweaked the player movement animations:
    Various fixes to player movement including smoother transition to blocking for Player while moving backwards in combat and issues with blending while moving throughout the world
    A change like this isn't simple. It often requires reworking the entire animation set to ensure all the animations blend smoothly. It's entirely plausible that something could have gotten tweaked incorrectly.

So what does this prove? That a possibility exists that this was unintentional. As for how it snuck by QA, you'd have to ask them. Even if it did, it doesn't change that it could be unintentional. Not everything is some nefarious plot by ZOS to ruin your experience, so stop jumping to conclusions.

Edited by MercerFrey on September 16, 2014 12:50AM