The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Will the ability to change character appearance be added in the future?

Some_Jerk
Some_Jerk
✭✭✭
First let me say that there are obviously way bigger and more important issues than this one...

But I would like to know if ZOS intends to make it so we can change things like our character's hair styles, colours, ect at SOME POINT in the future. I think this is something a lot of players would want.

Has anyone heard anything?
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope not. Char creation is important, playing musical chairs with char looks is a bad idea. With to many people starting changing chars looks, it will become very hard to tell who is who or change char's names.
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character creation IS important. So is flexibility and being able to see your charcter grow and change over time, including how he/she looks. Many games have features to address this and I see nothing wrong with it. Aside from dying armor or changing out looks with colors and armor styles which we already have, it would be nice to change a hairstlye or a skin tone if you wanted for example. Things in char creation panel don't always look as they do in - game.

That being said, I would be very opposed to resources going into this any time soon as there are way too many issues, bugs, etc that should be looked at first. When things smooth out... maybe then would be nice fluff :)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope at least Hair Color and Style can be changed. My Sorc is a red head, and that really does not go well with a lot of the colors from the new dye system.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Lizelle
    Lizelle
    ✭✭✭
    Being able to change your hair style would be nice... but there are so many other things that need attention right now. I wouldn't say this is high on the list.
  • kieso
    kieso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    k9mouse wrote: »
    I hope not. Char creation is important, playing musical chairs with char looks is a bad idea. With to many people starting changing chars looks, it will become very hard to tell who is who or change char's names.

That's the stupidest comment I've seen all day; Character creation is very important I agree but people often make mistakes and would like to change some things here and there. Sometimes people also make alt's who they think came out better and want to go back to another character and do the same.

Especially in this game where lighting is different in character creation and the voice examples are poor. Sometimes giving you a different look than intended and a voice with horrible sounding light and heavy attack swings.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For example, my NB looked pretty cool in the chargen screen. In game he looks like the Staypuff Marshmallow man with a wig on. I tend to enable the Helmet on him so I don't have to look at his face.

• Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I believe they mentioned at Quakecon that there is a barber option in the pipes.
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Shunravi wrote: »
    I believe they mentioned at Quakecon that there is a barber option in the pipes.

Yep, this is something we want to do, though the exact details and time-frame are not yet determined.
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • cuz_mike200
    cuz_mike200
    ✭✭✭
    At Quakecon I think Paul Sage mention something like a barber so it sounds exciting
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My feelings are that Char creation is important, but a barber shop option might take to much away from it. Hair styles or weight will be ok to have, but no removing scars, tatts or change the face around to something completely different.

From I have seen in the couple MMO's that I played, the barber shop option is to open. IMHO, it should be much much more limited what a player can changed for their char. That is why I am hoping it will be in the game at all.
    Edited by k9mouse on September 3, 2014 11:54AM
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, this is something we want to do, though the exact details and time-frame are not yet determined.

Thank you! (insert applaud here) :)
    Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • andre.roques.3b14_ESO
    Ok so there will be barbers..but my altmer prefers a stylist. Will there be grades of hair care providers in the game?

My character needs to feel pampered when not slaughtering enemies en masse.
    NA MegaServer
    Alicron AD Altmer Templar
    Caltrinity EP Dunmer Sorcerer
    Brehhanon Moonblood DC Breton Nightblade
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok so there will be barbers..but my altmer prefers a stylist. Will there be grades of hair care providers in the game?

My character needs to feel pampered when not slaughtering enemies en masse.

I believe Paul Sage said that they are looking to make it a player provided resource.

From dulfy transcript "We like to introduce a RP mechanic where players can earn these and give them to each other. It is coming, just a question of how and when."

/z LF barber with legendary perm.
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hair Style Craft! :p
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe Paul Sage said that they are looking to make it a player provided resource.

Great, now the griefers will be running around giving Mohawks to characters :D

• CujoH
    CujoH
    Yeah, one of my characters has a voice that I can't stand... The other character's hair and body-shape I would... love... to re-do.

I have an addiction to ~ then showracemenu in Skyrim. Especially with the RaceMenu mod.
    Edited by CujoH on August 29, 2014 10:21PM
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

please let them be face sculpters and please oh please let there ba sly skyrim joke about "someday people will be using our skills even generations from now, we will be known all across tamriel!" because, yaknow, they weren't well known across tamriel nor were they used by many :P
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• Daraugh
    Daraugh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    During the five day early access at release, the zoom wheel wasn't working in the character creation screen, so you couldn't see your toon's face close up. I ended up deleting my very first toon since her face turned out so weird looking. My husband still has his first toon, but doesn't play him. That toon is now called Uggo Bank Guy...

I would LOVE a revisit to the creation screen to fix some other things that looked fine in the first screen but look really bad in-game.
    May all beings have happiness
    May they be free from suffering
    May they find the joy that has never known suffering
    May they be free from attachment and hatred
  • b92303008rwb17_ESO
    b92303008rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Could you please be more specific at least about if we can change other facial or even body features other than hair?
  • sparafucilsarwb17_ESO
    sparafucilsarwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would be great if I could change my character's looks. When I created my toon there was a bug in the game that prevented me from zooming in to the face - so I could not really see the details. The bug was fixed after that but I had already progressed too far to want to start over again.
  • Mondo
    Mondo
    ✭✭✭✭
    I WILL PAY FOR IT!!!!! Take my Money ZOS as long as im willing to spent it on this game
    Im not the Hero you need, im the Troll you deserve!
    - Survived the WoW Pre LK Rogue Forum "Come at me Bro" -

L2P = Accept that DK is OP and stop complaining
  • CapuchinSeven
    CapuchinSeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Literally cocked my head to one side while I read this.
  • spoqster
    spoqster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a good idea. Adds another gold sink. If players are willing to pay 10k to change their beard, let them.

I want to adjust the height of my char a bit. At char creation you don't get a context for height so you end up poking in the dark and don't get a feeling for your char's height until you've played a bit. It would be great if they had a height scale at char creation.
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm generally of the opinion that our characters should easily be able to change anything that we can change in real life. Hair style/colour, beard existence and length, make up, eyebrow shape (maybe?). I'd also like more options for hair style and beard style and make up... and for beards to actually MATCH head hair rather than being a different shade, even when you pick the same colour.

More complicated changes such as height or face shape would involve Illusion magic of some sort, although even that could be worked into the Lore well enough. As someone said in another thread, if Razum-dar can use disguises to completely change our characters' appearance, then there should be a Lore-friendly magical method to do so.
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • kieso
    kieso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything should be changeable; height, weight, scars, face, voice; lore friendly or not this is till an MMO and players like to change their characters appearance every so often to get things "right"; it's more of a quality of life change as playing a character who's looks you like makes playing the overall game that much more enjoyable.

I just wish they'd hurry up with this feature it's taken them much too long.
  • Turin_Turambar
    I would like to see the ability to change non-essentials, such as the following:

1. Hair length and style (including facial hair), but not hair color.
    2. War paint should be different than tattoos. Tattoos should be permanent, but have the option to add more. War paint should wear off over time and need to be re-applied, perhaps grantly a miniscule buff.
    3. "Adornment" should be changeable: earrings and the like.

I'm sure there are other things that could change with the aid of magic, but these are the basics, I think.
    As far as cost, hair and hair style should be a minor quest reward, i.e. do a favor for an NPC and now he/she will be your barber whenever you need. War paint should just be a daily cooldown. Addition of permanent tattoos should have a small gold cost. Adornment should be free and self-administered, but maybe add special things like jewels that you can find and use for self-adornment.

Just some ideas. :smile:
  • ChillingSpree
    ChillingSpree
    ✭✭✭

Uh, what? Who honestly uses a character's facial appearance to determine who they are? People hardly look at each other at all. We use names to determine who everyone else is... and even if we're looking at their physical appearance, the face is only 5% of what we see. Most of what we see is the color and appearance of the armor, which changes all the time for most characters.

Honestly I think it's a great idea and I was bummed to learn that I couldn't remove my curly mustache. Looked funny at first, now it just looks stupid.

Name changing is always a bad idea. Especially paid name changes. You shouldn't be able to pay $25 to leave behind your bad reputation. In the real world, people will recognize you by your face... since this is a video game, we need something permanent to recognize each other by. If you scam people or are otherwise distasteful, people should be able to know to avoid you. Just my opinion.
  • Khazai
    Khazai

Is there any new ETA for this maybe?
  • KBKB
    KBKB
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like ZOS
  • Mathius_Mordred
    Mathius_Mordred
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me the lack of character customisation once created is the single biggest glaring omission from this game. In all other games I have played it's there, STO in particular has an excellent and free at any time character customisation area called the tailor. Here you can change your character's appearance in every detail, the only restrictions are you cannot change gender, species or alliance.

Even Skyrim had it using the showracemenu function. After 18 months since beta launched and numerous requests I would say this is an almost universally requested feature that ZOS continue to leave out - I have no idea why.
    Skyrim Red Shirts. Join us at https://skyrimredshirts.co.ukJoin Skyrim Red Shirts. We welcome all, from new players to Vets. A mature drama free social group enjoying PVE questing, Dungeons, trials and arenas. Web, FB Group & Discord. Guild Hall, trial dummy, crafting, transmutation, banker & merchant. You may invite your friends. No requirements