The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

This issue NEEDS to be fixed before you merge the servers!

archon210
archon210
✭✭
http://www.twitch.tv/archon210/c/4771498 <-video

This kind of stuff is only going to get worse if the lag and aoe cap do not get addressed. This happened tonight on Dawnbreaker. These aren't really even 2 big zerg balls going at eachother. It's just a lot of people in 1 spot.
draq ataq
  • CapuchinSeven
    CapuchinSeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the same on the EU servers, pretty clear this isn't going to be fixed by the EU server move. Game is unplayable.
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who has talked about merging servers?
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • ZOS_BrianWheeler
    ZOS_BrianWheeler
    PvP & Combat Lead
    There are discussions currently going on with the combat team about the AE cap and in relation to the question about server merges, in 1.3 we are taking the amount of campaigns down from 10 to 5.
    Wheeler
    ESO PVP Lead & Combat Lead
    Staff Post
  • Trayyacakes
    Trayyacakes
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler‌

Thank you for your response. I personally hate the AoE caps, and the gameplay that it encourages, but is the issue with the lag correlated to the AoE caps?. I was at that farm, and I couldn't put an oil down. It was extremely frustrating. Ultimates were dropped there skills were spammed, and you could see none of it. For a long time I didn't know if I was actually alive or lagged out dead somewhere.
    Bjorn Uldnost
  • Jaxom
    Jaxom
    ✭✭✭✭
    The AoE cap is a double edged sword. On one hand, it encourages zerg behavior and you get the stacking of 60-100 people in a single spot which isnt combatable, causes massive lag, and crashes the server on a regular occasion. On the other hand, when you remove the AoE cap, the issues with Ultimate gain will come back with a vengeance.

Imagine Impule Spammers hitting 20 people at a single time and instantly fill their ultimate meter or a Bolt Mage bolting through a large zerg and instantly filling their ultimate due to the sheer number of people it's hitting on screen.

Ultimate gain issues are still prevelent and haven't been tweaked enough. Yes, changing Ultimate gain on crit from 3:1 certainly helped, but if you remove the AoE cap, you are going to see Ultimate spammers once again. I understand there is a plan to change Ultimate gains while healing so that if you are healing someone who is full health, you do not gain ultimate but that only partially fixes the problem, similar to the 3:1 crit conversion.

What they need to do is figure out a way to remove the AoE CAP while capping the maximum number of ultimate a single ability can gain. Make it, 10, 25, whatever makes sense.
  • FENGRUSH
    FENGRUSH
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They can keep ult gen limited to what you generate now off the cap, thats a simple solution.

People are worried about 20 impulse spammers vaporizing stuff, but I run a zerg buster group and we live inside 60-80+ people for quite awhile.

The issue isnt instantly dying, its that your chances of hitting the same guy twice with an AOE are painfully low.
  • Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are going to change it so healers don't gain ultimate when healing full health then it'll put us at a huge disadvantage against other player types, especially templar healers since we won't be able to gain ultimate until either the fight's already underway or we slot nova and waste an ultimate in order to try and gain another one.

Personally I'm all in favour of removing the AoE cap and leaving it at that. Yes the ultimate spammers might return, but everyone's ultimates will and it'll make dealing with trains much easier. As it is now, those who everyone assumes would benefit the most (streaking sorcs and vamps) are being avoided and people are learning to get out of the way in order to reduce their effectiveness. Even with AoE cap removed, it still means that people will have more ultimates to use on batswarmers etc.
    The Legendary Nothing
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how the lag is connected to the AoE cap, I'd think it's more connected to people just spamming effects and having tons of particles for impulse and heals, and the rest going off constantly in one spot. But yeah, needs to be fixed.

I'm not sure how I feel about AoE caps. On one hand, one person should not be able to drop a zerg. Zergs were around back in beta and PTS when AoE caps weren't on anyhow and they will continue to be. Personally, I think if you are in an AoE though, fire going off (or whatever) should effect you, but I do think that any AoE should be considerably weaker than a single target. Impulse is very OP (good damage, quick cast, spammable-ish, can apply DoT, and morph reduces target's health by 10% overall - that's a lot for one ability) - anytime a player would just use an AoE spell when fighting one target over using a single target, something is wrong there. Perhaps have an AoE, once hitting more than six targets, start to divide damage by the amount of people being hit or distance from caster. I'm not sure of the solution, but I don't like the idea of one player finding some super build (half the time b/c of the game not being balanced) standing there and spamming a spell and dropping fifty people - that's dumber than a zerg IMO. Large groups of soldiers attacking at once is actually part of war, one guy standing in the middle of them and killing a whole battalion is not so much.

-- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Xnemesis
    Xnemesis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaxom wrote: »
    The AoE cap is a double edged sword. On one hand, it encourages zerg behavior and you get the stacking of 60-100 people in a single spot which isnt combatable, causes massive lag, and crashes the server on a regular occasion. On the other hand, when you remove the AoE cap, the issues with Ultimate gain will come back with a vengeance.

Imagine Impule Spammers hitting 20 people at a single time and instantly fill their ultimate meter or a Bolt Mage bolting through a large zerg and instantly filling their ultimate due to the sheer number of people it's hitting on screen.

Ultimate gain issues are still prevelent and haven't been tweaked enough. Yes, changing Ultimate gain on crit from 3:1 certainly helped, but if you remove the AoE cap, you are going to see Ultimate spammers once again. I understand there is a plan to change Ultimate gains while healing so that if you are healing someone who is full health, you do not gain ultimate but that only partially fixes the problem, similar to the 3:1 crit conversion.

What they need to do is figure out a way to remove the AoE CAP while capping the maximum number of ultimate a single ability can gain. Make it, 10, 25, whatever makes sense.

ok so make abilities give an ult gain per use not per target. Pretty easy to solve that issue. Also people will move out of the AoE range and not stack together if caps are removed.
    Edited by Xnemesis on July 29, 2014 2:51PM
  • Jaxom
    Jaxom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xnemesis wrote: »

ok so make abilities give an ult gain per use not per target. Pretty easy to solve that issue. Also people will move out of the AoE range and not stack together if caps are removed.

Oh I agree. I think it's pretty easy to solve, but the backend coding might be another story.
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so i see a thread about concerns about server lag due to zergs, and a response from zos about ae caps.

sounds like server lag is caused by ae caps.
  • pitdemon_ESO
    pitdemon_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    IMO small group and 1v1 pvp is extremely fun and balanced in ESO.

It's when you get to large 24+ vs 24+ battles where we run into problems.
    Caps on AE are part of the problem but I would like to see more in the way of strategy than just mashing impulse.

GTAE - If the AE cap stayed on Impulse but was lifted on GTAE like Lightning Splash adn Volley you wouldn't see the zergballs we see today. People would learn to spread out so the entire group couldn't be wiped out by a handful of ranged

Collision Detection - IMO this really needs to be revisited as tankwalls bring a level of strategy hitherto lacking in Cyrodiil

Ground Target CC - Again, tactics. Nothing like a little well placed CC to turn the tide

Ultimate generation cap - Would be nice currently, but if any caps are lifted it will be absolutely necessary
    The Grixxitt of Melek - Alfar Nightblade
    Grixx of the Reach - Crafter/Reachwitch/Sorceror

Must...downvote...stupidity... (clicks sidebar furiously)
  • DontBeAfraid
    DontBeAfraid
    ✭✭✭
    On the other hand, when you remove the AoE cap, the issues with Ultimate gain will come back with a vengeance.

just cap ulti gain to 6 targets and dont cap targets.
    so easy solved..
    Marlic - Dragonknight - VR12 - Aldmeri Dominion - PvP Rank 29 - Ex-Emperor on Dawnbreaker - EU

• Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the other hand, when you remove the AoE cap, the issues with Ultimate gain will come back with a vengeance.

so easy solved..

yup
  • Jaxom
    Jaxom
    ✭✭✭✭

so easy solved..

Oh I agree. It's the simple solution, though I feel like they will break something if they try to do it.
  • Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're following Bethesda's lead on bugs so they'll always break something when they fix something else. As was mentioned in Quakecon, there's so many "moving parts" that something's bound to go wrong, but ultimately it's down to poorly executed planning and programming during early development that's allowed the game to be developed like a house of cards.
    The Legendary Nothing
  • Neferath
    Neferath
    ✭✭✭
    They're following Bethesda's lead on bugs so they'll always break something when they fix something else. As was mentioned in Quakecon, there's so many "moving parts" that something's bound to go wrong, but ultimately it's down to poorly executed planning and programming during early development that's allowed the game to be developed like a house of cards.

Well "IF" this game would suffer from poorly executed planning and programming we would still be in alpha phase.

Yes there are severe problems - especially with pvp - wich should'nt be present anymore 4 months after the games release, but ultimately @dap_robertb16_ESO , your post shows your "poor knowledge" of coding.

Taking that as a fact and keeping it in mind ...

Developing a project as big as this game is, could be compared to build a scyscraper. Literally 85%> of every single part of this project are dependent of each other or single small parts wich are used for a variety actions / working steps. Just like you will use the same types of bolts and screws for many components of this building, you will create several "classes" and "objects" wich are used by many components of this software project since it simply doesn't make sense to code them completely from the scratch again each time you need a similiar functionality.

Having that said, just imagine that you have found a faulty bolt or screw within your scyscraper. you wont be able to fix this one solely but will realise that this particular bolt or screw was used for a dozen of other things too, therefore also affecting them. And while, say beeing used for a heavy structural part of the building this bolt or screw is a problem, it isn't at all for some other parts of the building and just working fine.

But if you now begin to change the parameters of this bolt /screw in order to solve the problem, you'll very likely end up with having one problem solved while creating 2-3 new problems since the changes to this bolt / screw, will be a problem with other connected parts in this building that are using the same setup.

More than often, problems like these are caused by an inch of corrupt metal, just like - during coding - they could be caused by a missing comma or a misplaced bracket somethere within trillions of code-lines.

So the actual problem might be a minor one, but every change on that single component can (most likely will) have a major impact on dozens of other components.

Something that bugs out the hell of every coder but is very hard - if not impossible - to avoid.

Well having that said, and putting the "coder-fan-boy-yes-i-understand-your-problems-flag" back in my bag ...

@ZOS_BrianWheeler
    Glad to hear that your team is discussing the AOE cap again. Hopefully this will lead you towards getting rid of it cause combined with the missing collision detection for player characters this isn't a technical (coding) problem only that will cause a vast amount of other issues but also a severe gameplay problem that destroys tactical gameplay. Something a vast majority of your pvp-based customers love as much as you do too. Um and just out of curiosity ... are your teams SCRUM based?
  • SoulScream
    SoulScream
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am very concerned of server stability with less servers (I am in favor of less servers though).
  • frosth.darkomenb16_ESO
    frosth.darkomenb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are discussions currently going on with the combat team about the AE cap and in relation to the question about server merges, in 1.3 we are taking the amount of campaigns down from 10 to 5.

@ZOS_BrianWheeler‌

yes, finally!
    Can't wait to see the results of your discussions.

Please, take into account that balancing individual abilities can be iterated over when they are an issue, but a core mechanics like arbitrary target cap can't be.

You have plenty of ways of putting abilities in categories of a certain style and make them interesting for everyone involved.
    I suppose you already know what you are doing, but just in case, check out the thread in my signature for some suggestions.
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes you're right.. That does need to be fixed..

Will increasing the AOE cap make peeps use less or more AOE though? I say double the mana cost of impulse. Destro staffs are stupid.
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • Halrloprillalar
    Halrloprillalar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dekkameron wrote: »
    Yes you're right.. That does need to be fixed..

Will increasing the AOE cap make peeps use less or more AOE though? I say double the mana cost of impulse. Destro staffs are stupid.

With no aoe caps, people will not clump up for the 'zerg immunity' because they are then vulnerable to getting wtfpwned by a few well timed ults. With no clumping and PBAOE spam, impulse becomes far less annoying - and hopefully we don't get the current lagfest scenario. Will people still use aoe? Probably, but it won't be as effective when people don't clump.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without AOE caps you'd force people to spread out which is good because usually if people are spread out you'll want to use single target spells more to take them down as AOE's are suppose to be less efficient on 1 target then single target spells.

however once you're dealing with Multiple Targets, AOE should be used if they're close by, because that's the whole point of Area Effect Spells.

Edited by Xsorus on July 29, 2014 8:48PM
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for updating us on what's happening behind the scenes. It's very nice to know our voices are heard and acknowledged.

As to the AOE cap, I highly encourage you to remove it if technical limitations allow for it, as it's turned Cyrodiil (imo) into a very zerg vs zerg type PVP, which just isn't fun to me or to others. If you're unable to remove the AOE cap, I highly encourage you to do something else to highly discourage zerging.

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • dcincali
    dcincali
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same thing happened on wabba yesterday too, this was 2 min into the fight already, EP had a HUGE blob rush the flag and AD had another group bomb in.. Yay for lag!!

tinypic.com/player.php?v=2qi9w0l%3E&s=8#.U9gebPldV8F

• Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neferath wrote: »
    Developing a project as big as this game is, could be compared to build a scyscraper.

Developing large software systems is the single hardest engineering endeavor undertaken by human beings.

Skyscrapers don't fall over on a regular basis.

Planes don't drop out of the sky on a regular basis.

Bridges don't collapse on a regular basis.

This is not because the people who build skyscrapers/planes/bridges are really smart and people who build software are really stupid. It is because building software is really difficult.
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the consequences of those things dont really compare
  • Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neferath wrote: »

I am aware of the principles of programming and how to do it correctly.

I'm merely comparing it to other large scale software development projects (btw, the quotation marks come from Quakecon itself, not my own words) where there is much more stability in a system of comparative size and complexity. Even in other MMOs there is more stability in what is essentially the same underlying architecture for client-server communication, unless ZOS use a different method.

Given that something tends to break with every patch or update they release, it's a stable assumption that the system was precariously developed without adequate testing and without a properly developed underlying system to make sure that changes and updates could be made safely.
    The Legendary Nothing
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    archon210 wrote: »
    This issue NEEDS to be fixed before you merge the servers!
    There is no 'server merger' so I've no idea what this thread is all about.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on July 30, 2014 7:35AM
  • Prospero_ESO
    Prospero_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    I don't know how the lag is connected to the AoE cap,

There is a connection, but the lag you are experiencing now will be nothing against the lag when the cap will be removed. More potential targets means more numbers to compute.

What ZOS don´t seem to understand is that there underlying technologie can´t handle a big amount of players. So instead of working on that, they remove half of the campaigns to concentrate even more players. Combine that with a potential removement of an aoe cap and voila, the next big fail will be delivered.

I am very much for the removement gameplay wise but perfomance wise this would be a mess right now and leave the game even more unplayable than it is now.

I would strongly advise Mr. Wheeler to play the game on live servers to see and feel the mess Zenimax charges players every month for. Sometimes i have the feeling they only look through their rose-coloured glasses of test servers where everything performes well with 10 testers.
    Edited by Prospero_ESO on July 30, 2014 7:40AM
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They need only cap ultimate gains to 6 or less targets hit.