The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Steam Keys

Aortick
Aortick
✭✭✭
Anyway for us to get a Steam Key? Would love to add this game to my Steam Library through a Steam Key. (not the add non-steam game to Library option)

Pretty Please with Sugar on Top :)
  • Delith
    Delith
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why they would announce this without mentioning what they are doing for CURRENT customers in regards to Steam. They have to know a large portion of us want it attached to our Steam account.
  • CheesyDaedra
    CheesyDaedra
    ✭✭✭
    I second this, zen GIB US STEAM PL0X
    Do you mind? I'm busy doing the fishstick, it's a very delicate state of mind.
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I third this, other MMO's I play are all through Steam and they tend to run with a lot less problems than their non-Steam counterparts :)

I can see the threads now ''I play via Steam, I'm not having 'xyz' problem'' :D
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • kassandratheclericb14_ESO
    I don't personally know of a single game that gives you a Steam key when you bought it elsewhere, even if it was before it was released on Steam.

So I doubt they will be doing this. When a game is on Steam they get a cut of the proceeds. It would not be in their best interest or in any agreement they made to do this.
  • CheesyDaedra
    CheesyDaedra
    ✭✭✭
    I'll try contacting ingame support to see if they can do anything about it :P
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt they'll do anything about this. No game I've ever played that went to steam eventually did this.
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • Delith
    Delith
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's a great piece of logic, kassandrathecleric. Unfortunately for Zenimax, if I don'get a Steam key, I'll just be cancelling my sub out of frustration, and they won't have to worry about losing any cut in revenue, because there will be no revenue.

Pretty easy.
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delith wrote: »
    That's a great piece of logic, kassandrathecleric. Unfortunately for Zenimax, if I don'get a Steam key, I'll just be cancelling my sub out of frustration, and they won't have to worry about losing any cut in revenue, because there will be no revenue.

Pretty easy.

Is being unable to play through Steam really that big of a dealbreaker to you? Just add ESO to your Steam library as a non-Steam game, problem solved.

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • Soloeus
    Soloeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty easy.

Is being unable to play through Steam really that big of a dealbreaker to you? Just add ESO to your Steam library as a non-Steam game, problem solved.

Nah, I want it as a Steam game.

Within; Without.

Pretty easy.

*shrug* You gotta do what you gotta do. All kinds of games have gone on Steam after a time even when sold other places before. I'm feeling a bit salty about the dog they get...but that is how it is.

This is how things work. They sometimes suck or are not fair. You make your decision as you must. It isn't a deal breaker for me as it obviously is for you.
  • Delith
    Delith
    ✭✭✭✭

Pretty easy.

It is the mentality of the company providing the service. We are customers that existed before it was placed on Steam. Steam is a community all my friends use, and it does stat tracking, has achievements, community forums, etc.

Adding a non-Steam game is not the same as a game being officially on Steam. If it was, they wouldn't add games to Steam. They'd tell you to add a non-Steam game.

So, yes. It is important to me. What's ironic is that the reason they don't give out Steam keys to people who are already loyal customers is because they will have to share future income with Valve. However, if I don't get the Steam key, there is no future income.

You may be more tolerant with this kind of behavior. I am not, and I will not support it.
  • Delith
    Delith
    ✭✭✭✭

Pretty easy.

*shrug* You gotta do what you gotta do. All kinds of games have gone on Steam after a time even when sold other places before. I'm feeling a bit salty about the dog they get...but that is how it is.

This is how things work. They sometimes suck or are not fair. You make your decision as you must. It isn't a deal breaker for me as it obviously is for you.

Correct. Life isn't fair. I'm just pointing out that if their logic is to prevent having their income lost, in my case, they lose more income by not giving out the key than they do by giving one out.

That is it.

Pretty easy.

Correct. Life isn't fair. I'm just pointing out that if their logic is to prevent having their income lost, in my case, they lose more income by not giving out the key than they do by giving one out.

That is it.

Fair enough.
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty easy.

It is the mentality of the company providing the service. We are customers that existed before it was placed on Steam. Steam is a community all my friends use, and it does stat tracking, has achievements, community forums, etc.

Adding a non-Steam game is not the same as a game being officially on Steam. If it was, they wouldn't add games to Steam. They'd tell you to add a non-Steam game.

So, yes. It is important to me. What's ironic is that the reason they don't give out Steam keys to people who are already loyal customers is because they will have to share future income with Valve. However, if I don't get the Steam key, there is no future income.

You may be more tolerant with this kind of behavior. I am not, and I will not support it.

Steam is basically just another place to sell the game for them. It's akin to any other third party site, in that both ZOS and the website (Steam, Greenmangaming, etc) get a cut.

For them to give you a Steam key, it's going to cost them money, as Valve expects a cut for using their product. It's not like they can just hit the 'Generate Steam Key' button and email it to you without it costing them.

My only real problem with this announcement is that Steam wasn't a choice from the beginning, as I myself would have preferred to have the game on Steam (and would have also liked the wolfhound.) However, I can see why they wouldn't just throw out Steam keys to current customers.

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • Delith
    Delith
    ✭✭✭✭

Pretty easy.

Steam is basically just another place to sell the game for them. It's akin to any other third party site, in that both ZOS and the website (Steam, Greenmangaming, etc) get a cut.

For them to give you a Steam key, it's going to cost them money, as Valve expects a cut for using their product. It's not like they can just hit the 'Generate Steam Key' button and email it to you without it costing them.

My only real problem with this announcement is that Steam wasn't a choice from the beginning, as I myself would have preferred to have the game on Steam (and would have also liked the wolfhound.) However, I can see why they wouldn't just throw out Steam keys to current customers.

I understand this logic, and already responded to it as level headed as I could manage.

In my specific circumstance, they lose money from not giving me the Steam key, because they won't see another cent in subscription fees.
  • Robotukas
    Robotukas
    ✭✭✭

Pretty easy.

is not a same thing as you add as steam key. With steam games you have more features, like you can use In-Home streaming service (is had very good performance for steam games), also for steam workshop (it comes soon).
  • ZOS_AmeliaR
    ZOS_AmeliaR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We won't be providing Steam keys to current ESO players, as Steam utilizes ESO's launcher and patcher, as well as our billing and account systems. Instead, if you'd like to play via Steam, you can add the existing title to Steam.

To do this, head to "Games" option within Steam and select "Add Non-Steam Game to My Library." Then, select the checkbox next to "The Elder Scrolls Online" and click "Add Selected Programs."
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • kingmat75
    kingmat75
    Soul Shriven
    think you have to wait that game goes free to play to use your account on steam.
  • CheesyDaedra
    CheesyDaedra
    ✭✭✭
    This is what i got from support -.-

"Greetings!

Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team.

Great question!
    Players with existing accounts for The Elder Scrolls Online do not need a Steam key to play ESO via Steam. Instead, those players should add their existing title to Steam.
    To do this, go to the "Games" option within Steam and select "Add Non-Steam Game to My Library." Players should then select the checkbox next to "The Elder Scrolls Online" and click "Add Selected Programs."
    Hope this helps! :)
    Thank you for your continued interest and support!"
  • Delith
    Delith
    ✭✭✭✭
    We won't be providing Steam keys to current ESO players, as Steam utilizes ESO's launcher and patcher, as well as our billing and account systems. Instead, if you'd like to play via Steam, you can add the existing title to Steam.

To do this, head to "Games" option within Steam and select "Add Non-Steam Game to My Library." Then, select the checkbox next to "The Elder Scrolls Online" and click "Add Selected Programs."

Thanks. Good bye, subscription. Good luck with your game, and I hope you learn how to treat your customers with a bit more respect in the future.
  • Maotti
    Maotti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So Zenimax! Will Steambuyers get a special thing for buying through it? A pet or something?

Basically anything that gives us the short end of the stick.
    PC EU
  • UPrime
    UPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's no steam integration here, they're just using steam to sell the game. What's the obsession with having a steam key?
  • Aortick
    Aortick
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for the Reply Amelia.

• CheesyDaedra
    CheesyDaedra
    ✭✭✭
    UPrime wrote: »
    There's no steam integration here, they're just using steam to sell the game. What's the obsession with having a steam key?

I'm pretty sure there will be eventually steam trading cards :P, besides, who wouldn't like to be part of it's steam forum and artwork section of it?

(Ever since i've been playing ESO i haven't spoke to any of my steam friends, it's like i just disappeared from the platform, this is more of a personal thing really).

Edited by CheesyDaedra on July 17, 2014 6:09PM
  • Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. Good bye, subscription. Good luck with your game, and I hope you learn how to treat your customers with a bit more respect in the future.

Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya.

Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maotti_Nor wrote: »
    So Zenimax! Will Steambuyers get a special thing for buying through it? A pet or something?

Basically anything that gives us the short end of the stick.

YES!!.......

The Whiterun Wolfhound, the coolest pet so far :(

When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Stream trading cards, tracking. That's all there is to it.

The entitlement in regards to this is hilarious though.
    Edited by Arsenic_Touch on July 17, 2014 6:11PM
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • Delith
    Delith
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure there will be eventually steam trading cards :P, besides, who wouldn't like to be part of it's steam forum and artwork section of it?

(Ever since i've been playing ESO i haven't spoke to any of my steam friends, it's like i just disappeared from the platform, this is more of a personal thing really).

Trying to explain to people why you want all of your games in one collection is an idea that is incredibly hard to impart.

I have been unable to do it in a way that results in understanding from another individual. I just had this argument with Everquest: Next Landmark some time ago.

The only solution I have is just to cancel my sub. It won't make an impact, and it's just a drop in the bucket, but continuing to play this game after this would just feel wrong to me. Very frustrating :|
  • PopeNofun
    PopeNofun
    Soul Shriven

Disappointment.
    Beats-By-Dre (@PopeNofun)
    [N'wahs With Attitude]
    {Ebonheart Pact}{Bloodthorn campaign}
  • Soloeus
    Soloeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can I get Game Time Cards from Steam? My locality doesn't have any yet. How will I be able to get Game Time from Steam if I can't link accounts?

Within; Without.
This discussion has been closed.