Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Veteran System Changes Preview

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
Hi everyone,

One of the topics we frequently get feedback on is ESO’s Veteran content. Some of you may have seen our recent comments about changes we have in store for ESO’s post-50 experience. We want you to know we’ve been listening to your suggestions and concerns, but more importantly, we want to tell you what we’re doing about them. Today, we have an update from the ESO Dev Team to share with you.

Some of the concerns you’ve called out are: Veteran content is too much of a departure from the level 1 to 50 experience, playing and leveling through it is too much of a grind, and that the rewards you get don’t match the effort you have to put in to progress.

One of the guiding principles of our Veteran gameplay was to encourage you (not force you) to group. We wanted you to be able to reach max level by playing solo if you wished, but still encourage you to group with others along the way. This principle was the reason we made our post-50 zones more difficult; we wanted you to get together with others to take on tougher challenges and form social bonds while you did so. But we understand that, despite our vision, this is not how all our players want to experience the game beyond level 50.

We recognize that many of you love the game you played while leveling up, and that you feel the post-50 zones are too much of a departure from that experience. We hear your requests to continue participating in solo content as you progress through Veteran Ranks, and we’re acting on that feedback.

Starting next week on Monday, July 7th, you’ll see the first significant change we’re making to the Veteran System. We’re implementing some balance changes to content in post-50 zones that will make it much more like the content from levels 1-50. Our goal is to remove the feeling of “I have just hit a wall of difficulty” that many of you have expressed—you’ll be able to solo much more easily. This is just the first of many large-scale changes coming to ESO’s Veteran System, and we encourage you to watch our QuakeCon panel on Friday, July 17th, where we’ll go into much more detail about the other parts.

Thank you for sticking with us, sharing your concerns, and supporting a game we all love.
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • Anastasia
    Anastasia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Appreciate your presenting this new information Jessica.
    Thanks.
  • jonpaul
    jonpaul
    ✭✭✭
    Good to hear, I am very interested now as to what will be changed.

Also, now we will be racing through the last of our quests in the Rift to get done with Cadwell's Gold before the changes!
    WAR EAGLE
    I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments. -Jim Morrison
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are there any plans to change the amount of veteran experience needed to level? This really needs to come down quite a bit if the veterans are going to be as easy a 1-50. Talk about boredom.
  • Denaia
    Denaia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the changes. I just wonder one thing :smile:

How hard will this nerfing be? I did not enjoy the difficulty of 1-50 much as it was way too easy for my liking, while vr 1-12 could certainly be a bit easier. But I wonder, will it be the same difficulty as 1-50 or will it be a middleground of what's its now? As I wonder if I will enjoy ploughing through vr 1-12 if it's extremely easy and I fall asleep playing.
    Edited by Denaia on July 3, 2014 8:33PM
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Are there any plans to change the amount of veteran experience needed to level? This really needs to come down quite a bit if the veterans are going to be as easy a 1-50. Talk about boredom.

We do have some changes planned to address that, yes. We'll be going into more detail about them in the July Road Ahead letter, and the QuakeCon panel.
    Jessica Folsom
    Staff Post
  • Goibot
    Goibot
    ✭✭✭
    One suggestion I would like to add to this is to make it easier to find the quest starters for Cadwell's. Maybe give an initial quest to talk to each of the starter people for them when you enter the zone???? When I hit a new zone I just search those out and complete this as well as all delvs, skyshards, anchors and world bosses. I have no desire to complete every quest in the other alliances. If I do those I will do it with an alt of that faction. I will finish leveling to 12 in Craglorn.

I know it would be too much to ask but it would be really cool the change the vet quests so the fit our alliance, like assassination type quests. That would help build the excitement from lvl 1 -49 and make it not like we are heroes doing boot licking jobs.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must say i liked the challenge. But then, i can understand why some might not.

Doesn't matter much to me tho, i guess i will have Cadwell's gold completed before the changes go live anyway(last 3 zones to go).
  • rich_nicholsonb16_ESO
    So will there still be that quest grind?

Imo just triple the xp for the mobs so ppl can grind away or for those that like to quest they can quest. I might be able to persuade a few ppl who left because of the quest grind to come back if xp was made easier.
    Patch 1.2.3 nerfed the game....
    Zergballing wrecked pvp......

Now waiting for Camelot Unchained!!
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Denaia wrote: »

How hard will this nerfing be? I did not enjoy the difficulty of 1-50 much as it was way too easy for my liking, while vr 1-12 could certainly be a bit easier. But I wonder, will it be the same difficulty as 1-50 or will it be a middleground of what's its now? As I wonder if I will enjoy ploughing through vr 1-12 if it's extremely easy and I fall asleep playing.

Level 50+ and 50++ content will still be more difficult than normal level 50 content, but easier to solo than it is now. So, yes, a middle ground. :)

Jessica Folsom
    Staff Post
  • Denaia
    Denaia
    ✭✭✭✭

Level 50+ and 50++ content will still be more difficult than normal level 50 content, but easier to solo than it is now. So, yes, a middle ground. :)

Absolutely lovely, happy with this answer. I do have one request : any chance that we could get a percentage of how 'hard' vet was leveled? Or if that is not possible some numbers? I would like to see the change not only while playing but also beforehand so I know what to expect.

It would also help out on getting feedback as we are currently grasping thin air every time how much something was nerfed or buffed.
  • Jermu73
    Jermu73
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so happy to hear this :D
  • thesilverball_ESO
    thesilverball_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome!!! Thanks!!! ^^
  • Esha76
    Esha76
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent. Perfect. Thank you for listening, acting, and communicating!

But Jessica, you forgot to add a re-sub button on your signature for convenience.

"Shut up and take my money!" - Fry
    "There is no moisture in your angry stares." - Laughs-at-All
    "I don't know why I bother guarding you horrible people." - Orama Sadas
    "Scales here is about to have a really bad day..." - Valeric
    "Just tell me what you're doing here before I turn your heart into a tomato..." - Sereyne
    "Break those rocks! Dig those ditches! Why??? Because I want you to!!!" - Ifriz the Unraveller
    "There are worse masters than I. Far worse." - Molag Bal
    "I humiliated the Daedra in Mehrunes Spite." - You, when turning in a specific Undaunted Daily.
    "I'm not finding you very pleasant!" - Adla the Brewer
    "Old Ri'hirr likes his birds slow and stupid!" - Old Ri'hirr
    "When things get dirty... Oh, I get so flustered." - Meredil the Archivist
    "Too many Argonians about these days..." - Davon's Watch Guard (though I think this one has been removed from game)
  • Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sad face :'( I liked the difficulty but I do understand the change. I hope it is a middle ground as stated. We do not need the easy-mode 1-50 content repeated in VR zones.
  • Mujuro
    Mujuro
    ✭✭✭✭
    Starting next week on Monday, July 7th, you’ll see the first significant change we’re making to the Veteran System.
    Have these changes been tested properly ? Given the lack of adequate testing (unit, system/integration, regression) for the previous 2 content updates, I'd very concerned that this new content will, again, break more stuff than it adds/fixes.

As an aside, PTS was running an EARLIER version than what we have live ... *sigh*
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know a lot of people complained that the vet levels are hard, but do we really want to go down the path of 'dummy' down the game? I know a few encounters need to be edited has they force you to group, but there is only a few of those quest 'bosses'

The Craglorn allowing people to still fast exp by grinding one or two bosses, so those who do not want to do the 50+ and 50++ can still bypass it and get to V12. I did all the normal quests and got to V10 without the need to 'grind'.

I agrees with some 'twinks' but are you really making it 'easy' mode due to players complains?
  • AelyinESO
    AelyinESO
    ✭✭✭
    We do have some changes planned to address that, yes. We'll be going into more detail about them in the July Road Ahead letter, and the QuakeCon panel.

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom, since you ignore me all times! :( Thank you for the FeedBack, We're exciting to see what's going on.

About: July Road Ahead letter Can you give us a preview when?

Thank you!
    NA PC Server - CP810 - Played Since Beta 2014, but left for 4 years, coz games got unbalancing, boring and too much expensive (still?)

- MagSorc (50) - DPS
    - MagTem (50) - Healer
    - StamDK (50) - Tank
    - StamNecro (50) - DPS
    - StamTem (developing) - DPS
    - MagNecro (developing) - DPS
    - MagWard (developing) - Healer
    - Stamblade (developing) - DPS

"Stop nerfing Sorcerers please"
    "Stop putting most interesting items inside a lucky Crate costing money"
  • Lord_Draevan
    Lord_Draevan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hope the XP isn't nerfed too hard. I completed all EP, DC and AD quests and reached Vet 10 just before finishing the last AD zone, which was a Vet 10 zone since I'm EP. Will this still be possible with the new zones? Or will I be lower level before finishing all the zones?
    Edited by Lord_Draevan on July 3, 2014 8:52PM
    I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
    NA/PC server
  • Mujuro
    Mujuro
    ✭✭✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »
    I know a lot of people complained that the vet levels are hard, but do we really want to go down the path of 'dummy' down the game? I know a few encounters need to be edited has they force you to group, but there is only a few of those quest 'bosses'

The Craglorn allowing people to still fast exp by grinding one or two bosses, so those who do not want to do the 50+ and 50++ can still bypass it and get to V12. I did all the normal quests and got to V10 without the need to 'grind'.

I agrees with some 'twinks' but are you really making it 'easy' mode due to players complains?

And the answer is ...
    care_bears_002.gif
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it coming.
    d6ce3f1b00a643f5d77c8e2d96fcc5d5.jpg
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hallelujah. You have restored some of my faith in you. I knew you guys would see the light, and I am proud to have helped you.
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's going to be disappointing to see the difficulty go, hopefully you decide to find another place for it for a solo player to find difficult content. Please don't make this game more 'hand holdy' with blanket difficulty nerfs!
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The difficulty of leveling content shouldn't be a concern. Dungeons should be where you go for difficult PvE content.
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy crap, thank you!
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear some changes done, we'll see what those are. Hoping it goes somewhat in line with the things said in the first videos of ESO. "We want to bring the people who loved ES and people who like MMO together". So people who loved ES can play and quest. And for those MMO people that much needed difficulty and challenge those would be all kinds of dungeons and trials etc. So something for both.

If I want to have "easy" relaxed gaming session questing and admiring the scenery I can do that. Then if I want to group with few friends and handle some difficult challenge I'm also able to do that or even try to do that alone.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • Hoamaii
    Hoamaii
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback, I wouldn't mind soloing VR levels but somehow I think what would really help us too would be to make grouping easier, give us more options, better facilitate players' interactions - I don't mind if I have to group with players who are 5 or more levels below me (or above :wink: ), what is fun is to play with other people, just don't restrict it that much and that should make a big difference for many of us. Cheers!
    "You can learn more about someone in an hour of gaming than in a whole year of conversation" - Plato
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds pretty good to me.
    Templars are 'just slower... by design'
    Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
    VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is welcome news as far as im concerned. I enjoyed my 1-50 experience. Yet i find VR zones incredibly tedious and quickly become bored of grinding through the quests and mobs there.

I would also like to see experience gained in PvP increased more. It takes so long to level up in Cyrodiil that i feel forced to go back to the vet zones in order to level. To be honest, i just want to play some PvP for a while yet at the same time i would also like to keep levelling my character at a decent pace. I cannot do this in PvP alone.
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as the phasing issues persist, this probably is the next best option to get people into the VR zones again. Otherwise a considerable raise in group xp gains in VR could have done the trick to convince people to group up more often.

Will this have an effect on VR dungeons as well or will they remain as they currently are? And any news on xp gains in 1-50 dungeons?
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not one bit happy about these changes. You've gotta be kidding me. I guess the WoW crowd has won another round (big surprise, their numbers will always exceed everybody else). If I wanted a Singleplayer game, Skyrim is far superior to ESO in every way.
    Catches-the-Sun - Argonian Templar - Master Smith, Provisioner, Chemist & Tailor
    Valaren Arobone - Dunmer Flamewalker - Master Woodworker, Provisioner, Assassin
    Kazahad - Khajiiti Arcane Archer - Master Thief
    V'orkten - Redguard Swordmaster
    Finnvardr the Frenzied - Werewolf Berzerker