The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

No XP for quests - no point playing

Safetytrousers
Safetytrousers
Soul Shriven
I just finished the Hall of Heroes quest which culminated in the hardest battle I've had in the whole game up to my VR5. I won the battle on about my 12th attempt.
I was awarded no experience points for completion of the quest (my xp notifier add on told me I had got points, but my character screen experience total had not changed).
I simply cannot continue to play this game, that I have been playing every day for over a month, if all my efforts are pointless.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey @Safetytrousers‌, this is an issue we're aware of and actively investigating. Some players have reported that if you relog, the XP kind of "catches up" and everything will be granted. Can you try that and see if it works?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • sajackson
    sajackson
    ✭✭✭
    I just finished the Hall of Heroes quest which culminated in the hardest battle I've had in the whole game up to my VR5. I won the battle on about my 12th attempt.
    I was awarded no experience points for completion of the quest (my xp notifier add on told me I had got points, but my character screen experience total had not changed).
    I simply cannot continue to play this game, that I have been playing every day for over a month, if all my efforts are pointless.

See http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/114152/not-getting-xp-from-quests#latest.

The issue does appear to be in the UI, try doing a /reloadui or use a wayshrine and the XP display should update then.
  • jonpaul
    jonpaul
    ✭✭✭
    For me, I just opened character screen and the exp bar caught right up. You are getting exp, don't worry
    WAR EAGLE
    I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments. -Jim Morrison
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same issue here ... just completed the two quests in Fort Sphinxmoth. However, when I finished the quests, the no exp bar or quest finish notification appeared. I think I got my exp, but wanted to let everyone know this was the first time I've had problems in the game with the exp bar.
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's definitely just a display bug that is fixed by a relog.
    Catches-the-Sun - Argonian Templar - Master Smith, Provisioner, Chemist & Tailor
    Valaren Arobone - Dunmer Flamewalker - Master Woodworker, Provisioner, Assassin
    Kazahad - Khajiiti Arcane Archer - Master Thief
    V'orkten - Redguard Swordmaster
    Finnvardr the Frenzied - Werewolf Berzerker
  • madangrypally
    madangrypally
    ✭✭✭✭

Iv noticed this issue as well.

Example of what my addon showed last night.
    +31000 exp for completing the quest.
    -22000 exp with no explanation. My exp bar did not move and even though I completed most of the storyline quest in the zone.

I just gave up and did not consider it worth my time. I also noticed this on Dolmens in Cyrodil. I completed 5 Dolmens before noticing I was receiving 0 Vet exp for them. Not sure if that was intended or not.

Ill just PvP and wait for this to be fixed. Earning less then 9k for completing a quest chain is not worth it to me.
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed the EXP not poping up when you complete a quest, but skill exp is going up regardless since I use quests to level stuff. However I have also noticed that when you complete or take a quest, the objectives don't update either.
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here. My toon just completed the ghost snake quest in Deshaan. He got the quest reward armor but not a tick of XP. @ZOS_GinaBruno, I'll try that relogging rick.
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't look like it helped but I can't be certain. I have written down my exact XP amount now so I can track it going forward.
  • Elirienne
    Elirienne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let me tell you what is the only, single point of playing, friend. That when you get up from the computer, and you ask yourself "Have I been entertained for the last x hours?" the answer is yes. At the end of the day, your xp is just pixel, your gear is non existent and your progress in this game is nothing when you close your laptop. But if you have been entertained and had fun for your x hours of gameplay, that bit stays with you, that is the only bit that is really part of your life.

So if you had fun bringing down the boss, then those few hours of gametime were worth it. With or without xp.
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elirienne wrote: »
    Let me tell you what is the only, single point of playing, friend. That when you get up from the computer, and you ask yourself "Have I been entertained for the last x hours?" the answer is yes. At the end of the day, your xp is just pixel, your gear is non existent and your progress in this game is nothing when you close your laptop. But if you have been entertained and had fun for your x hours of gameplay, that bit stays with you, that is the only bit that is really part of your life.

So if you had fun bringing down the boss, then those few hours of gametime were worth it. With or without xp.

That is not why I play. Leveling my toons are. I have played these games going back a quarter century and I always leave once I hit level cap. Otherwise I would buy a shooter instead of an RPG.

• theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I finished 2 quests. One gave me the expected XP. The other gave me nothing. I was not simply a part of a quest. It was dealing with Scout Mamyne in the Obsidian Gorge. I received the end of quest message and was given a new one, Death Trap. As I recall, this quest gave a previous toon XP. Is this a purposeful change r a bug?
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I logged out/in but my XP did not change. Will the missing XP be added perhaps to the end of all of her quests? That would be an unfortunate change for many of us.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes I play to have fun, but without the xp I can't level up to experience more challenging areas to play in. So the xp is absolutely necessary to continue the game. There are only many quests/bosses/etc in ESO to get xp, so there is no point in continuing to play until the xp problem is fixed.

"We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Wildfire7
    Wildfire7
    Soul Shriven
    Hi guys,

Try writing down your XP prior to killing mobs or qurning in a quest, forcing a UI refresh (reload UI, re-log, or zone), and then see if you did indeed gain XP.

I thought I wasn't getting XP either on my VR8 DK, but it turned out I was and it's just the client not announcing it to me. Plus, at VR you get XP so slowly that I probably wouldn't have noticed it unless I wrote down the exact number (mouse over your XP bar in the character screen).

Hope that helps. (If it does't sorry :()
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wildfire7 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Try writing down your XP prior to killing mobs or qurning in a quest, forcing a UI refresh (reload UI, re-log, or zone), and then see if you did indeed gain XP.

I thought I wasn't getting XP either on my VR8 DK, but it turned out I was and it's just the client not announcing it to me. Plus, at VR you get XP so slowly that I probably wouldn't have noticed it unless I wrote down the exact number (mouse over your XP bar in the character screen).

That is exactly what I did. It did not help. Odd that some quests gave XP and others did not though.

• Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should you get XP for the quests in question? If you are too high of level you will not get XP.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Just to give you all a quick update, we are still looking at this and working on a fix.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seravi wrote: »
    Should you get XP for the quests in question? If you are too high of level you will not get XP.

I was actually a level below the quest.

• theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to give you all a quick update, we are still looking at this and working on a fix.

Thanks Gina! Despite what yo may read around here my experience has been that y'all rock. :)

• Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started a new character yesterday. I don't see XP and screen notices when I complete a quest, discover a wayshrine or open a chest like before. It is being added as I am now level seven with skill points. If I open my skills menu it floods my screen and lists everything it should have been but wasn't, including you have completed xyz quests. I do that a couple of times an hour so there isn't so much to roll off on the screen.
    Edited by Seravi on June 26, 2014 10:48PM
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    theyancey wrote: »
    Wildfire7 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

That is exactly what I did. It did not help. Odd that some quests gave XP and others did not though.

I had this earlier one quest gave me xp the next did not, however I noted my xp down and then hit /reloadui the missing xp was added. Hope this helps :)
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Thunderknuckles
    Thunderknuckles
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree. Same thing last night after I finally was able to get back in the game. Upon completion of a quest no sound effect or XP bar movement, but when I clicked "Goodbye" with the NPC THEN it happened. So, you guys are getting your XP almost certainly.
  • mndfreeze
    mndfreeze
    ✭✭✭
    I got my XP when I logged in after the maint this morning. One thing that I think is related is I no longer get the message across my screen or the noise when I discover a new area. My map still updates by changing it to the filled in white color, but no 'ding' or message saying you discovered so and so wayshrine, or so and so villlage. I say it may be related because normally discoverinfg something new gives you xp.
  • Firestar1992
    Firestar1992
    ✭✭
    theyancey wrote: »

That is not why I play. Leveling my toons are. I have played these games going back a quarter century and I always leave once I hit level cap. Otherwise I would buy a shooter instead of an RPG.

You've got some odd priorities, man. The point of an RPG is to immerse yourself in a new world. Thus the term "role-playing game."
    Although truth be told, you are exactly like my dad and my brother. They get as OP as possible and then make a new character/move on to a new game. Maybe it's a guy thing, but I just don't understand it.
  • Darzil
    Darzil
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like some xp appeared after completing some (VR7 quest at VR6) quests, after a /reloadui, but not others. Doing the Haven quests I got xp from the final piece that completed the marker, but not the sub quests before that. Also didn't get improvements in the skills I had slotted when handing them in. Neither /reloadui nor logout and login fixed this.

I guess I'll do something else til fixed. I'm ending up under level as it is. Wish I hadn't trusted the stuff I read here about it catching up later, as that only seems true on some quests, and so I've lost quite a lot of xp. No wonder I was close to VR7 with a few quests to hand in and some areas not done, but one area into the new zone I'm still VR6.

Edit: To clarify a little, hoping I have quest names correct, from today's play:
    Take Me Home - Gave no vp or skill improvement
    Lost Treasures - Gave no vp or skill improvement
    A Little on the Side - Gave no vp or skill improvement
    Unsafe Haven - Gave vp and skill improvement correctly
    (Eye of the Ancients - Bugged and uncompletable)

I relogged after the first two, and one recently learned skill on the skill bar I had active when I handed in the quests had zero skill learned. This changed only after completing Unsafe Haven.
    Edited by Darzil on June 27, 2014 1:00PM
  • DaGhostDS
    DaGhostDS
    ✭✭✭

I agree. Same thing last night after I finally was able to get back in the game. Upon completion of a quest no sound effect or XP bar movement, but when I clicked "Goodbye" with the NPC THEN it happened. So, you guys are getting your XP almost certainly.
    In my opinion its not a display bug or reload ui should fix it, it seem more like the character database is having issues updating your total xp in real time.

A relog didnt fix it for me.
    Edited by DaGhostDS on June 27, 2014 3:26PM
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Ok folks, looks like this will likely be fixed on Monday with patch 1.2.4. The other good news is that this is just a UI error, and you are still receiving all the XP you've earned.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Darzil
    Darzil
    ✭✭✭
    As the two posts above yours, one mine, mention, this doesn't seem to be the case, sadly. You have agreed to pass that along in another post.
    Edited by Darzil on June 27, 2014 3:54PM
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Yup, just did. We'll keep you guys in the loop.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post