The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Roleplaying Beginner's Guide! (Video)

TheHumanFloyd
TheHumanFloyd
✭✭✭
Hey guys, I'm really hoping these videos will be helpful to new RPers and maybe even inspire some people who haven't tried RP before to give it a shot.

If you like them please click Like on Youtube and subscribe so I can make more videos like these!

Thanks!

Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPnF85FQM8E&noredirect=1

Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh0Z2BRQYTQ

Part 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVgGWKXrBN8

Part 4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_Lv2Gh7RoA

Part 5 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY1NpLdhCRA
Edited by TheHumanFloyd on June 22, 2014 7:58AM
  • TheHumanFloyd
    TheHumanFloyd
    ✭✭✭
    Hey everyone! My next video is ready for your senses to devour it!
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=_lOt6SJz338
  • Maotti
    Maotti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After todays experience with trying to join in on a RP group in the game i have just given up.

Why does people even bother when you're just getting shunned away and explicitly told i'm being ignored because i apparently interrupt their RP?
    PC EU
  • Vraok
    Vraok
    Maotti_Nor wrote: »
    After todays experience with trying to join in on a RP group in the game i have just given up.

Why does people even bother when you're just getting shunned away and explicitly told i'm being ignored because i apparently interrupt their RP?

Because you're playing a Nord. In the Aldmeri Dominion. Just get out of here already.
  • Maotti
    Maotti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vraok wrote: »

Because you're playing a Nord. In the Aldmeri Dominion. Just get out of here already.

Tell that to all the others on the EU server who play a Nord in the Dominion, i've met plenty.
    Edited by Maotti on June 3, 2014 2:05PM
    PC EU
  • Aylios
    Aylios
    ✭✭

Vraok, the devs made the game in such a way that people can play any race in any faction. This is a forum about that game. You're in the wrong game, you're on the wrong game forum.
    Go find yourself a game that stops people from doing all these things you don't like. Can't find a game like that? Surprise surprise, then go make your own game and play it with your three friends, but just get out of here already! Have a nice narrow-minded life.

• TheHumanFloyd
    TheHumanFloyd
    ✭✭✭

Just like in any community there are always going to be jerks. Different people have completely different styles of RP. Some people prefer one-on-one or small group RP, others want to meet everyone they can and some (like myself) prefer a mix of both.

In any case, Maotti I reccomend giving it another shot! There are ***, but there are plenty of really cool people too. If you want to do some RP on Ebonheart, my guild would love to have you come hang out with us!

Get a hold of me in-game @thehumanfloyd if you want, man. :)

• TheHumanFloyd
    TheHumanFloyd
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I should mention we ARE on the US Megaserver, but we have a few EU players and US players who play in the wee hours of the morning. So there will be people around in my guild for you to RP with. :)
  • Vraok
    Vraok
    Aylios wrote: »

Vraok, the devs made the game in such a way that people can play any race in any faction. This is a forum about that game. You're in the wrong game, you're on the wrong game forum.
    Go find yourself a game that stops people from doing all these things you don't like. Can't find a game like that? Surprise surprise, then go make your own game and play it with your three friends, but just get out of here already! Have a nice narrow-minded life.

Surprise, surprise, this is about RP, not about the game in general. Having a Nord in AD doesn't make any sense at all, unless you come up with a really convincing backstory.
  • laislyn
    laislyn
    Awesome videos! I can't wait for number five!
  • TheHumanFloyd
    TheHumanFloyd
    ✭✭✭
  • TheHumanFloyd
    TheHumanFloyd
    ✭✭✭
    The series is now complete, my friends!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY1NpLdhCRA
    Edited by TheHumanFloyd on June 22, 2014 7:59AM
  • Maotti
    Maotti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aylios wrote: »

Surprise, surprise, this is about RP, not about the game in general. Having a Nord in AD doesn't make any sense at all, unless you come up with a really convincing backstory.

Well, i'm not gonna apologize for ruining your precious obviously lifeimportant RP, the developers made this choice possible and Nords have been one of my favorite races ever since i started playing Oblivion!

And if you don't like Nords in the AD then feel free to find another game which does have race/alliance restrictions from the very beginning. :)

Besides, there are plenty of other Nords in AD on the EU megaserver, ;)

And to the OP, sorry for ruining your thread!

Edited by Maotti on June 23, 2014 3:30PM
    PC EU
  • Nurrasana
    Nurrasana
    This is super helpful :) I have a friend that was helping me RP for a while but I haven't even tried since I moved.
  • TheHumanFloyd
    TheHumanFloyd
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome! Glad to hear it. You should get into the RP scene, it's been a lot more active lately! :D
  • UlsethSamori
    Great work! I got into RP, and I made my Dunmer in the Ebonheart Pact, Ulseth Samori. I RP with my friend, and it's awesome!
  • TheHumanFloyd
    TheHumanFloyd
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for watching! Blood for the Pact! Maybe we can meet up when I'm on Sendryn some time. :)
  • Flexar
    Flexar
    ✭✭✭
    I've been doing text-based roleplaying for years, but I've never done any MMO roleplaying until recently and when I first started I made several technical fumbles that damaged the immersion (none with etiquette though; it's exactly the same as in text-based roleplaying). These videos have given me a much better idea of how to go about roleplaying in ESO; thank you and those who helped you for putting in the time and effort to help those of us still getting to grips with MMO roleplaying.
  • TheHumanFloyd
    TheHumanFloyd
    ✭✭✭
    You're so welcome! Those fumbles can be embarrassing, but even people who have been RPing on MMOs for years make them. I'm really glad to hear that my videos have helped. :)
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really cool man.
  • TheHumanFloyd
    TheHumanFloyd
    ✭✭✭
  • indytims_ESO
    indytims_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Well, i'm not gonna apologize for ruining your precious obviously lifeimportant RP, the developers made this choice possible and Nords have been one of my favorite races ever since i started playing Oblivion!
    [/quote]

That's the thing about RP - lots of RPers actually pay attention to the details - like races that typically aren't allowed or found in certain parts of the game world lore...

Zeni added the 'play any race, anywhere' detail not for RP reasons, but for $$ reasons. The guy who posted above is alluding to this fact. Various folks RP different, and just because you want to RP doesn't mean you can just barge into -anyone's- RP and automatically be included/accepted. And if the people you met are not fond of Nords because they are not traditionally found in that part of the world based on the lore of the game, well... that's something -you- simply have to get over and accept, not them.

I think back to D&D -before- Drizzt Do'urden... Drow were a hated/feared race, and for someone to have one appear randomly in a place they aren't normally found would often see them instantly attacked. It's similar to what your Nord -should- expect, finding himself in a place where, according to lore, his race is not traditionally found.

Yes, you might see other Nords running around the same area as you, but from an RP/lore perspective it might not make a lot of sense, and being ostracized because of that is actually 'role playing' accurately, ironically enough.

To the OP - NICE videos and details. I applaud your efforts loudly! :)

• TheHumanFloyd
    TheHumanFloyd
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks indytims!

In regard to the race discussion, I will say that we see characters of all different races living throughout Tamriel. It's not incredibly common, probably less so before Tiber Septim's time, but it does happen. People migrate for all sorts of reasons, and travelers end up all over the place. Many people settled in regions their race isn't normally seen in long before the Alliance War. Just my two cents. :)