Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 14:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 14, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• EU megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236

Efficient Veteran Ranking Guide

Phazzle
Phazzle
✭✭✭
Thanks to @nerevarine1138, @Zakua, @Artemiisia, and @kirnmalidus for helping me make sure this guide is accurate.

Hello beautiful people. I've been grinding veteran ranks lately and boy is it different than leveling to 50! Mobs are tougher, quests are more important, and boss fights are intense! Below are a few tips that will help you get to VT 10 efficiently, but be warned! This guide is not about helping you get the most out of the game. It is about getting to VT 10 as quickly as possible. Some of the tips may sound like 'cheating.' You have to make up your own mind and decide what is important to you. In the end, it is your decision.

Quest, quest, quest!

You may have been able to grind out levels on your way from 1 to 50 but gaining veteran ranks is not so easy! A single mob gives you basically nothing, but quests (and world bosses) give you big chunks of XP. It would take 5000+ kills to go from VR1 to VR2 and the curve gets even steeper as you rank. It is best to avoid unnecessary fights. If there is a pack of mobs that you can avoid by sneaking or running past, do it! If someone is spamming chat with something like 'X is up LFM' join in, but remember you only get good VP the first time you kill a world boss so don't try to grind them.

You will be following Cadwell's Almanac (a new tab in your journal). You cannot move to the next faction until you have completed ALL of Cadwell's objectives! Cadwell will give you a handful to complete in every zone. Some zone require you to complete the main quest line before advancing to the next zone and since there are no guild quests to move you around the map you have no other way to get out! In short, don't leave a zone until you have done every quest! You can also get points from PvP and dungeons but, in my opinion, the fastest way to rank up is to quest. The addon Slightly Improved Experience Bar will put your experience bar in the upper-left-hand corner of your screen so you can see it as you rank up.

Forget about quest text and make friends with YouTube

This will likely upset escapists who read all of the quest text. It even contradicts my own recommendation in my previous leveling guide, but for veterans ranks I recommend that you skip the quest text. You are done with the Coldharbour quests and the main quest line. The quests you will be doing are much less epic. They are versions of quests that you have already seen before and there is very little penalty for failing to listen to NPCs.

read more...
Edited by Phazzle on May 15, 2014 1:10AM
ESO Traveler
  1. Helping you get the most out of ESO!
  2. Veteran Ranking Guide
  3. Leveling Guide
  • Phazzle
    Phazzle
    ✭✭✭
    Good advice from another thread:
    Artemiisia wrote: »
    hint to be able to carry more, if and when u can get two horses, train one for speed that you use for exploring new zones, and another as a mule for carrying loots, that way when you go to a dungeon you use the mule with the wayshine closet to it, where u can carry like 140, instead of maybe 115 items.

got the imperial edition so I could make two horses right from the start

saves both time and you can loot "crappy" things to sell to vendors afterwards ;)

ESO Traveler
    2. Veteran Ranking Guide
    3. Leveling Guide
  • Stratti
    Stratti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Needs more work though it is a great guide,

For example should we ignore side quests and just move quickly through the zones

Is old skipped content worth focussing on.

VET Dungeouns are brutal and time consuming with little reward . I have to disagree with that . Also our crafted gear outdoes anything I have seen or had dropped . I got a v2 shield and it was blue with only 2 more armory than my crafted blue shield 50 l
  • Phazzle
    Phazzle
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it is more efficient to ignore side quests. It is hard to know what a side quest is and what a 'main' quest is. Unless there is some method I am not aware of.

I think it is best to squeeze every quest in since you don't get much xp from, as you mentioned, the Veteran dungeons. Veteran dungeons do provide good gear. Not everyone, including me, crafts armor. Plus, the time you spend crafting could be spent leveling. If you want to crunch the numbers, be my guest.

Thanks for reading.
    Edited by Phazzle on May 21, 2014 11:46PM
    ESO Traveler
    2. Veteran Ranking Guide
    3. Leveling Guide