Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

If all Sets were Craftable

Doskias
Doskias
✭✭
That is the question. If all sets were craftable, how would the system work to implement the sets that drop and being able to craft them. This discussion is intended to be port to the Master Suggestion list I created and maintaining to send to the developers for their consideration. I am looking for suggestions on how it should be implemented. Please reply with clear and concise information. Once gathered I will poll the suggestions and port it to the Master Suggestion list. This is referring to sets that are random drops. Any set that is specific to a Trial such as the upcoming Craglorn is exempt from this. Thanks ahead of time for your feedback.
Edited by Doskias on May 9, 2014 9:32PM
@Doskias
NA Server Daggerfall Covenant
Master Crafter Weapons, Armor, Potions,Glyphs, Food Coming soon
  • Opioid
    Opioid
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, I would prefer that all sets not be craftable. I think the best set bonuses should be tied to drop-only items to give people an incentive to actually do dungeons and Trials when Craglorn is released. Otherwise there would be no reason to bother with actually doing the content when you could just have someone craft all the best gear for you without setting foot in a dungeon or Trials.

Options
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you should probably be able to research drop set effects like the traits imo.
    Options
  • Doskias
    Doskias
    ✭✭
    My thoughts would be to have the sets that are currently drops only to be broken down into the five different zones for each faction. Each zone has a special crafting station that can craft certain sets designated by the developers.

My suggestions for placements would be (Using DC faction as example):

Harborage in Starting City
    Firebrand Keep in Stormhaven
    Northpoint in Rivenspire
    Earth Forge (Applies to all Factions)
    Hallin's Stand in Bangkorai
    Reaver Citadel Pyramid in Coldharbour

The surrounding dungeon bosses in each zone would drop the material to craft those sets.
    @Doskias
    Options
  • Doskias
    Doskias
    ✭✭
    Edited the original post to clarify the intentions. This is not talking about dungeon/trial specific sets. This is only referring to random dropped sets.
    @Doskias
    Options
  • Arkadius
    Arkadius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see the possibility to level up items. This way every set could be used in late game.
    Options
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are better ways to tie restricted craft sets to dungeon completion. 1 is that the item you need for construction is dropped there, another (ddo uses this) is that the crafting station is in the actual dungeon and the armor has to be crafted there.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
    Options
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭

/agree

I would think it would be easiest on the development side to use the existing crafting stations that are out in the wilds. Just add the other sets to a level appropriate station out in the zone. So you could craft "seducer" set and the "of the sun" set at the same station for example.
    Edited by Enkil on May 10, 2014 6:09AM
    Options
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    Opioid wrote: »
    Honestly, I would prefer that all sets not be craftable. I think the best set bonuses should be tied to drop-only items to give people an incentive to actually do dungeons and Trials when Craglorn is released. Otherwise there would be no reason to bother with actually doing the content when you could just have someone craft all the best gear for you without setting foot in a dungeon or Trials.
    This is the exact reason that GW2 was such an epic flop. Craft your exotics and /quit because there was nothing else to do besides reskin your gear.
    Options
  • Blackhorne
    Blackhorne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enkil wrote: »

/agree

I would think it would be easiest on the development side to use the existing crafting stations that are out in the wilds. Just add the other sets to a level appropriate station out in the zone. So you could craft "seducer" set and the "of the sun" set at the same station for example.

I don't think there's a significant development difference. If they developed the set crafting stations with an open list of what's craftable, then in both cases you need to set the list of craftable objects. The only difference is dropping the objects in the right places for a new crafting station.

However, it's possible that set crafting stations were developed with a single property identifying which set is craftable there, and the game builds the list of what's craftable from that property. In that case, adding a new set to an existing station would be more work, as they'd need to redesign the station object to allow multiple sets and rewrite the code to build the list of craftable items.
    Options
  • Blackhorne
    Blackhorne
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is the exact reason that GW2 was such an epic flop. Craft your exotics and /quit because there was nothing else to do besides reskin your gear.

Are the gearheads really that big a percentage of the MMO community?

For the people who actually like to play the game, the main purpose of acquiring gear is to improve your stats while playing. The incentives to do the dungeons and Trials are the dugeons and Trials.

In other words, if all of the content is nothing more than an obstacle between you and the gear you want, then this game is not really for you anyway.
    Options
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    Blackhorne wrote: »

Are the gearheads really that big a percentage of the MMO community?

For the people who actually like to play the game, the main purpose of acquiring gear is to improve your stats while playing. The incentives to do the dungeons and Trials are the dugeons and Trials.

In other words, if all of the content is nothing more than an obstacle between you and the gear you want, then this game is not really for you anyway.
    Its not out of the ordinary to want incentive to continue playing an MMO. After you play thegame all the way through, and theres nothing else to do, yeah, people quit.

Why is that an odd concept? Pretty sure millions of people do it every time a game flops...
    Options
  • Hessen
    Hessen
    ✭✭
    Why is that an odd concept? Pretty sure millions of people do it every time a game flops...

Millions of people don't leave because there's no loot carrot for them.

People who need it are the minority of MMO gamers.
    Options
  • Mailmann
    Mailmann
    ✭✭✭
    Well, then that would make ZOS a bunch of liars. They originally stated that the player would be able to craft equipment that was as good as anything that would drop in a dungeon or in Trials. That was one of the things that initially sold me on ESO in the first place. I love the idea of taking my own equipment with me on adventures and being forced to get all the best equipment from dungeons is always the thing that kills crafting. World of Warcraft is a prime example.

Options
  • Kalman
    Kalman
    ✭✭✭✭
    The set bonuses from "hidden" crafting stations are ok but a lot of the dropped ones are better. It needs to be made to when you visit a "hidden" crafting station and access the crafting stations there you learn how to make those set items. Then you can craft the set items you learn from any crafting station, not just that one.

If you have an entire set of dropped gear you should be able to "research" that set. Then after research completes you will be able to craft for that set.

I'd even be ok with keeping the same system (like traits) where it only unlocked for the piece you researched. You obviously wouldn't need an entire set to start research this way.

They could make it another section,like the traits section, where you can select a set bonus. You just wouldn't need a special gem like traits to craft. Or if they wanted/need it to take an item make it take a soul gem or some special drop that is needed to make a set item.
    Options
  • Tanabe
    Tanabe
    I like the way it is, just make dungeon sets so you can roll on em as they drop, as i have no need for more medium armor as i play in heavy or light.
    And make it so you can mold the looks of a armor at a crafting station if you have the skill/mofit for it, as we all know looks matters alot to many of us.

Options
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a crafting station at the END of a dungeon. So once you have cleared it (it will drop parts needed to craft the set) you can then finish your set off. This means the best sets are still dungeon only. You would have to 'lock' the instance, so once you get to the end, only the four that entered could use the station, but it gives the best of both worlds.
    Options
  • Darkstar101
    Darkstar101
    ✭✭
    Perhaps using a dropped set piece item as a component for a crafted item would satisfy both camps. Get a light armor chest piece from a set and need a heavy chest instead? Recraft the dropped light piece into a heavy piece and keep the set bonus for that piece. Allows crafters to still valuable and the dropped items still need to be gotten from mobs/dungeons.
    Options
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    Having all sets craftable would make repeating dungeons completely pointless, and give you less of a reason to keep playing. As you can see, its bad for business.

What they did say is crafted sets will have higher raw stats so they will still be competitive. The set bonuses from dropped dungeon sets will never be a part of crafting, youre wasting your time complaining about it.
    Options
  • Thalmar
    Thalmar
    ✭✭✭

Of course make the best bonus gear drops from PvE group content, support elitists, feed their ego, ignore majority of player base who doesn't like or want to attend group contents because of the immature elitist attitudes. Either feed their ego or not they leave the games before the casual players or the people who likes family style small guilds. If the games want to be successful they should stop supporting end-game consumers.
    Options
  • Kegero
    Kegero
    ✭✭
    My suggestion is to include another layer of item to the crafting system. If you deconstruct a set item you have a chance to get a component that inherits the set bonus. You then can use this component to craft a piece of armor or weapon with the set bonus. Also, the set components need to be locked to a certain type of armor/weapon (light, medium, heavy, one-hand, two-hand) and be bind on pickup if the item they were gathered from also was bind on pickup.

Hence, you still need to farm set items, deconstruct them and get lucky during the deconstruction to get the set component. This way, a player can choose any set bonus he wants for the high level armors instead of being locked to certain VR ranks in which the armor drops.
    The chance that set items provide the set component needs to be adjusted so that it is not too tedious to farm the VR5/10 set items but at the other hand provides a certain time sink for easier to get set items.

If you are able to craft these at any crafting station or the special crafting stations located throughout the world is up for discussion.
    Options
  • Turial
    Turial
    ✭✭✭
    Kegero wrote: »
    My suggestion is to include another layer of item to the crafting system. If you deconstruct a set item you have a chance to get a component that inherits the set bonus. You then can use this component to craft a piece of armor or weapon with the set bonus. Also, the set components need to be locked to a certain type of armor/weapon (light, medium, heavy, one-hand, two-hand) and be bind on pickup if the item they were gathered from also was bind on pickup.

Hence, you still need to farm set items, deconstruct them and get lucky during the deconstruction to get the set component. This way, a player can choose any set bonus he wants for the high level armors instead of being locked to certain VR ranks in which the armor drops.
    The chance that set items provide the set component needs to be adjusted so that it is not too tedious to farm the VR5/10 set items but at the other hand provides a certain time sink for easier to get set items.

If you are able to craft these at any crafting station or the special crafting stations located throughout the world is up for discussion.

Love the idea but eventually everyone would have the set bonuses craftable and it wouldn't mean anything. May I suggest an idea that just clicked with me; let's say that there is 20 possible sets that are non-craftable and each character could receive 2 of those randomly at levels 30 and 50 respectively. This means that every crafter becomes useful because not everyone will have the same sets, it also stops people just rerolling alts until they get 2 sets that are considered meta or whatever. It encourages(read:forces) people to seek out crafters all over and pay for their services.

Just an idea.
    "Neither a 'Borrower nor a Lender' be."
    Never Forget

I think you have not been on the internet long enough until you have been rick-rolled.
    Please check out Enchanting Alchemy - A Progression Guild
    Options
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you reach lets say level 50 in a profession you could unlock the possibility of research some sets but not all
    Inside each Profession
    Passive 3/3 : Make sets up to Lv 50 / Up to VR1-3 / VR3-5
    Options
  • Mission
    Mission
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly wish they would get rid of armor drops in raid content. Always hated it. If your gonna drop anything why not vanity. Or If you have to drop armor. Drop schematics that have a usage amount. Say 5 uses or less. That way crafters are still viable at endgame. And your not overpopulating the world with the high end armor sets. At least not for a while. It always urks me that crafters are always 2ndary to Raid loot in mmo's. After max level they are usually useless. I personally love crafting more than Raid content in mmos. One of my favorite mmo was SW Galaxies. It made Crafting Viable. And It didn't really need raid bosses to keep me entertained.
    Options
  • Doskias
    Doskias
    ✭✭
    Kalman wrote: »
    The set bonuses from "hidden" crafting stations are ok but a lot of the dropped ones are better. It needs to be made to when you visit a "hidden" crafting station and access the crafting stations there you learn how to make those set items. Then you can craft the set items you learn from any crafting station, not just that one.

If you have an entire set of dropped gear you should be able to "research" that set. Then after research completes you will be able to craft for that set.

I'd even be ok with keeping the same system (like traits) where it only unlocked for the piece you researched. You obviously wouldn't need an entire set to start research this way.

They could make it another section,like the traits section, where you can select a set bonus. You just wouldn't need a special gem like traits to craft. Or if they wanted/need it to take an item make it take a soul gem or some special drop that is needed to make a set item.

I like the idea of making the crafting sets global once the "hidden" crafting station is discovered. Even with that change the current hidden ones would still be relevant because I have used them many times just to deconstruct stuff while out in the field to alleviate some inventory space. A simple drop down menu selecting the set would suffice.
    @Doskias
    Options
  • Doskias
    Doskias
    ✭✭
    Having all sets craftable would make repeating dungeons completely pointless, and give you less of a reason to keep playing. As you can see, its bad for business.

What they did say is crafted sets will have higher raw stats so they will still be competitive. The set bonuses from dropped dungeon sets will never be a part of crafting, youre wasting your time complaining about it.

No one has said anything about being able to make the dungeon sets craftable. This thread is about random drop sets. Please read again before posting.It has been stated once before. You don't have to keep repeating the same thing over and over when it doesn't even pertain to this thread. Again this is about random drop sets.
    @Doskias
    Options
  • kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doskias wrote: »
    That is the question. If all sets were craftable, how would the system work to implement the sets that drop and being able to craft them. This discussion is intended to be port to the Master Suggestion list I created and maintaining to send to the developers for their consideration. I am looking for suggestions on how it should be implemented. Please reply with clear and concise information. Once gathered I will poll the suggestions and port it to the Master Suggestion list. This is referring to sets that are random drops. Any set that is specific to a Trial such as the upcoming Craglorn is exempt from this. Thanks ahead of time for your feedback.

Simple, have crafted sets researchable, 1 month for powerful ones.
    Options
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Researching drop sets is good, but that will just cause a flood of sets that are too strong to begin with, since a lot of dropped sets make crafted sets look like a joke.

I'd rather they leave dropped sets to be dropped and give love to the current crafted sets. I say the current 5 and 6 set crafted need 4-set bonuses, and the current 8 trait sets need 4 and 6 or 7 set bonuses. Some of the sets are just way too specific too, like Eyes of mara spell cost reduction only works with a restoration staff, and only 3%... You can wait forever to craft that whatever set, or you can use the seducer set you can craft way before that and reduce cost of spells by 3% with every weapon, so I don't see where they are going with some of these sets. Same for some of the dropped sets too.

It would help if we could craft Jewelry too. This is one of the things making dropped sets better than crafted ones. You can get more set bonuses if you get the jewelry parts of some sets than you could with crafted sets due to lack of jewelry crafting.
    Edited by demonlkojipub19_ESO on June 1, 2014 7:25PM
    Options