The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Questing = Boring Craglorn = More useless Quests ?

pxtc_ESO
pxtc_ESO
✭✭✭
The questing in this game is monotonous. They don't do anything but give you XP or Vp.

They are for the most part boring. Yes there are a couple of good quests but for the most part it's just go here and then go there and kill this guy.

You don't get anything epic from doing any quests. I believe at level 40 something I did get an epic from a quest which was cool. I'm at VR10 and I have done every quest and I have yet to get anything else that was worth anything.

The quests don't translate to anything useful. In wow (Don't freak out because I evoked the 3 letter acronym) many quests would give you epic items and quests would translate towards helping you in Dungeons. In ESO quests don't do anything for you but *** you off because they are just a grind.

There is no enjoyment when you finish a quest in ESO. No feeling of accomplishment from anything I have done so far. Plenty of enjoyment in PvP

I think Angry Joe got it right on the questing. There is a quest where you open a door and hit switch. Open another door and hit a switch. Then walk 10 feet to the quest giver and turn it in. Pretty useless. This is most of the quests in this game.

Craglorn:

I'm concerned that with Craglorn and raising our level to VR12 it's going to be more boring and useless quests. I know we are getting good content and I don't mind leveling but I don't want to spend a few weeks on more boring quests.

Imagine if you're a new player and we are on VR 20 content. It will take a new player forever to do all the content and enjoy end game content.

I intended to make more characters and level them up but with this quest grind I am only making Bank Alt's

I love the PvP area and plan to spend a lot of time there now that I'm VR10. I would have gladly just played out in Cryodiil until VR10 if I could have effectively gained levels in Cyrodiil.

If this is going to be the pattern of the game then I will be opting out. I can't and will not grind quests every 4 to 6 weeks.

The nice thing about other MMO's is that once you get to top level you can enjoy it for a while and you only have to do boring quests every 2 years or so. I guarantee that this game will empty out if you force people to have to quest to level up every 4 to 6 weeks when you add new content. It's one thing if the quests are good but for the most part ESO quests are just senseless.

:::::
Just getting that off my chest. I know the game is new and will go through a number of changes but I feel strongly that this needs to be addressed.
  • GeeYouWhy
    GeeYouWhy
    ✭✭✭
    When I started playing I paid attention to the quest text and tried to enjoy the quest lines, but by the 4th zone and the realization that level 50 is only 1/3 of the way to max level I stopped paying attention and just click thru as fast as possible and head for the quest marker.

The idea that the level cap will raise every 4 to 6 weeks and that I will be forced back to PvE so I can enjoy PvP is very frustrating.
    Konrandir, Vampire Sorcerer
  • Zabus
    Zabus
    ✭✭✭✭
    VR12? I'm struggling to get to VR10 cause I get bored doing quest after quest after quest. It was fine 1-50, but now just doing quests that leave little to no XP is boring. I enjoy PVP a lot more but you rank up A LOT slower than questing which is ridiculous..
    Zavus - Khajiit Nightblade EP | AR 50
    Zāv - Imperial Templar | AR 24
    Zavbags - Argonian Nightblade EP | AR 19
    Zabus - Redguard Nightblade DC | AR 13
    Negate Three - Breton Sorcerer EP | AR 19
  • stefaan.de.wasch1b16_ESO
    Imagine if you're a new player and we are on VR 20 content. It will take a new player forever to do all the content and enjoy end game content.

And that, my dear friend, is "why" they always make games easier the more expansion are released... to give new players faster access to end content... and to make up for the people that leave...
    The statement "if you put enough monkeys behind enough typewriters... sooner or later one will produce the works of Shakespeare" has sadly been proven utterly wrong by the internet...
  • pxtc_ESO
    pxtc_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    GeeYouWhy wrote: »
    When I started playing I paid attention to the quest text and tried to enjoy the quest lines, but by the 4th zone and the realization that level 50 is only 1/3 of the way to max level I stopped paying attention and just click thru as fast as possible and head for the quest marker.

The idea that the level cap will raise every 4 to 6 weeks and that I will be forced back to PvE so I can enjoy PvP is very frustrating.

Yeah this is exactly how I feel. Having to complete all 3 zones is ridiculous. I also started out reading the quests and trying to enjoy them. After getting nothing for doing them and the boring nature of the quests I now click through them and could care less what the NPC's say.

The level cap changing with new content is un acceptable, at least every time they add new content. They need to raise the VR level up every 6 months or longer. No one wants to do quests every 4 to 6 weeks.
  • pxtc_ESO
    pxtc_ESO
    ✭✭✭

And that, my dear friend, is "why" they always make games easier the more expansion are released... to give new players faster access to end content... and to make up for the people that leave...

This very true and necessary but how many MMO's did you have to quest grind every 4 to 6 weeks. We just started the game and now we are already getting ready to have to start quest grinding again. I don' t think your going to enjoy questing at this rate. Every 6 months I might be able to deal with. It needs to be at least a year or more.

What happened to making skill based content ? Give us more end game content without useless quests.

If someone can point out how quests in this game are anything but useless I would be glad to hear it.
  • pxtc_ESO
    pxtc_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    VR12? I'm struggling to get to VR10 cause I get bored doing quest after quest after quest. It was fine 1-50, but now just doing quests that leave little to no XP is boring. I enjoy PVP a lot more but you rank up A LOT slower than questing which is ridiculous..

Yeah, I'm with you. I would have gladly stayed in Cryodiil but you can't effectively gain levels in Cyrodiil. They force you to quest, which is horrible. These quests are boring and useless. You don' t get any good items from doing them and you get no feeling of accomplishment. If I spend this much time doing quests I want more out of them.
  • stefaan.de.wasch1b16_ESO
    It took close to 6 months to get to level 50 in DAoC when it was first released... I kid you not... 6 months... of loosing 2 -3 hours work upon death and /release...

And you know what... everybody loved it :)

In the end you could ofcourse hit level 50 after 3 hours in Moderna Grav as a Middie but that was after a few expansions...
    The statement "if you put enough monkeys behind enough typewriters... sooner or later one will produce the works of Shakespeare" has sadly been proven utterly wrong by the internet...
  • LariahHunding
    LariahHunding
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZoS - It's not the content. It's not the quests. We need our food pellet when we pull the level. VR - not many food pellets.
    "Give a man a sweet roll, he only has one to steal. Give him a sweet roll recipe, he have bunches to steal."

• Ventroff
    Ventroff
    ✭✭✭
    Its not the quests that are the problem. Its the fact that its the only way to gain VP effectively.

The game was supposed to be play how you like with quests, grinding, explore and pvp supposedly all providing relatively decent amounts of xp in order to progress your character. Since launch they have reduced ability to xp through pvp and once you hit veteran content every other method of xp gain is gone leaving only 1 option to gain meaningful experience.

If I log in now I have to be in the mood for running quests or it just feels like work. Sometimes I just want to chill in one spot and grind mobs, sometimes I just want to see what is off the beaten path and sometimes I just want to pvp, but if I want to progress my character at the same time, I have to wait until I feel like running bot routes from quest hub to quest hub.
  • Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    the worse about this? You've played only one class so far... imagine trying to get to vet 12 on all 4 now ''cackle madly'' because yes your alt are a long way from max lvl so you will do the same quest wich you already know all of again... and again... and Aagaaaain .... and again (demonic voice), and agaaaaain, and again... and agaiiiin. and again......................................

Zenimax have mercy on the sanity of your player nerf the exp requirement to next lvl from quest by half or damaticaly increase your player exp gain from kills in dungeon and in general especialy vet dungeons
    Edited by Kyubi_3002b16_ESO on May 9, 2014 6:12PM
    One bow to darken the sun
    One bow to unite the clans
    One bow to conquer the world and in darkness drown it...

- Prophecy of the tyranny of the sun
  • WaveZtreamb16_ESO
    WaveZtreamb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    And how is this diff from any other game?
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GeeYouWhy wrote: »

Just yhink, as the VR cap goes ip, Ill get to mob grind it because Im not expecting to see conten I can solo or duo until after summer, quite likely not until console launch.

Really lookin gorward to mob grinding out VR12. Yeah!
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took close to 6 months to get to level 50 in DAoC when it was first released... I kid you not... 6 months... of loosing 2 -3 hours work upon death and /release...

In the end you could ofcourse hit level 50 after 3 hours in Moderna Grav as a Middie but that was after a few expansions...

When I started EQ2 I was told I was nuts when I reached level cap(60) in 45 days /played.

I spent half of that afk in my house in merchant mode or bsing with people or roleplaying, not leveling.

Im a stupid fast leveller. After my first in wow, in 2004, I had 1-60 in 6 days. Reliably. Solo.

/shrug
  • ViciousMink
    ViciousMink
    ✭✭

I call shenanigans on everybody loving it. =) People did it because that was the way to progress and gain levels. People did it because they had no <I>choice.</I>

Exemple: FFXI. It could take a year of fairly steady grinding to get halfway to the then-levelcap of 75. That's halfway in terms of total XP. Grinding just about all the time, and you couldn't gather crafting mats or 'quest' or anything like that while grinding.

Now, everyone plays differently. I'm not going to say 'You shouldn't grind!' or 'You must quest!' Some folks want to grind, others want to quest, etc. and so on. The only thing I'd say is that if something isn't doing it for you, don't do it! =)

My big concern is the amount of multi-player content coming out. The player behavior patterns have changed a lot since the EQ/FFXI days. Who is expecting to go through Craglorn with the same group of people for however many hours it takes to complete it?
  • willpascoe24prb19_ESO
    I have 2 stars For me thats ALOT because if I am interested in a game I play not spend more time on the forums I find my self enjoying the forums more in ESO than i ever have in any other mmo

Thats really sad and shows that 2/3 of the game is meh....
  • michaelpatrickjonesnub18_ESO
    I only like the quests where you help drunks. Or nutcases. They tend to be funny. Or well written. With good dialogue.

But the rest is filler. Nothing I haven't seen before in other games.

And far too many milk carton quests. 'My family member is missing', go find them. They went overboard with those.

Lack of imagination.
    Edited by michaelpatrickjonesnub18_ESO on May 9, 2014 6:56PM
  • pxtc_ESO
    pxtc_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    ZoS - It's not the content. It's not the quests. We need our food pellet when we pull the level. VR - not many food pellets.

lol. True. There is just no reason to do quests. We are getting nothing but XP/VP
  • Phantax
    Phantax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I like the thought of questing for epics, BUT... I'd certainly like to see some quest-lines that would end with you getting a rare of some sort. Unique pet or mount, maybe even some rare disguises similar to the one you got for reaching VR2
    High Elf Sorcerer VR12 - Destro / Resto Staff
    I'm a werewolf. If you vamps don't like it.... Bite me !
    We're not retreating... we're advancing in a different direction !
  • anakaki
    anakaki
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand the VR questing. I'm VR 7 and I figured out early why they choose VR gaining this way (time consuming and no new area implemention needed as the other zones, regardless of faction, is already implemented). But for the love of god atleast make it worthwhile.

Why isn't there any veteran skills unlocked with each rank? And no attributes? Only usueable gear from every 20ish quest completed? And barley never an upgrade even then. 1 skill point for each rank, really? That's it?

No way am I doing this again on an alt/new main. I rather get shot in the face.
    Death Recap for Templars
    Have you tried rerolling to a Sorcerer or Dragonknight?
    Templars do more dps than DK's.
  • Kyle_Roberts
    Kyle_Roberts
    ✭✭✭
    If only I could bottle up all these tears...
  • pxtc_ESO
    pxtc_ESO
    ✭✭✭

I didn't play DAoC but I hear that the PvP was similar. Could you level up in the PvP area ? because I would gladly stay in Cryodill but you lose out on all the skill points.
  • Sidereal
    Sidereal
    ✭✭✭
    The problems in this post:
    1. Players are imagining that they are "forced" to do anything.
    2. Players wish to achieve top level quickly, and then maintain such status over a period of 6 months of inactivity.

Number 2 spawns from a sense of competition, though it's an illusion no doubt--rather than being "forced" to keep up with those that they view as competition, they want the competition forced to slow down. These players seem to want to play in a casual play-style while still getting that feeling of accomplishment usually experienced by hardcore players.

No one is forcing you to do anything every 4 to 6 weeks--it's your ego. It's like someone expecting to be a pro-athlete and then complaining nonstop when they have to attend practices and work out in the gym. If you want a break from PvE then take it, but if you'd like to keep up with the big dogs in PvP--you better lift, bro.
  • pxtc_ESO
    pxtc_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Ventroff wrote: »
    Its not the quests that are the problem. Its the fact that its the only way to gain VP effectively.

The game was supposed to be play how you like with quests, grinding, explore and pvp supposedly all providing relatively decent amounts of xp in order to progress your character. Since launch they have reduced ability to xp through pvp and once you hit veteran content every other method of xp gain is gone leaving only 1 option to gain meaningful experience.

If I log in now I have to be in the mood for running quests or it just feels like work. Sometimes I just want to chill in one spot and grind mobs, sometimes I just want to see what is off the beaten path and sometimes I just want to pvp, but if I want to progress my character at the same time, I have to wait until I feel like running bot routes from quest hub to quest hub.

Yeah, I couldn't agree more with your post. I feel this way 100 Percent. Give us the ability to play how we want to play. They think by forcing us to do these monotonous quests that they will keep us in the game longer but all they are doing is making me not want to play. Like I said above if they think i'm grinding quests every 4 to 6 weeks they are kidding themselves. No one want's to do the quest grind. The quest grind absolutely feels like work. I know it's an MMO and there has to be some grinding but there is no reason the grinding can't be tied to doing fun things.
  • pxtc_ESO
    pxtc_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Phantax wrote: »
    I'm not sure I like the thought of questing for epics, BUT... I'd certainly like to see some quest-lines that would end with you getting a rare of some sort. Unique pet or mount, maybe even some rare disguises similar to the one you got for reaching VR2

Exactly. You get nothing from doing the quests and the quests don't give you anything worth while. If they are going to force us to do quests then at least tie the quests into something important. I bet almost everyone clicks through the quest info and doesn't even care about it.

I'm a big time reader and I read every night before I go to sleep. I really enjoy and like to read the quests but in this game they are so boring and senseless that I just click through them.
  • pxtc_ESO
    pxtc_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    anakaki wrote: »
    I can't stand the VR questing. I'm VR 7 and I figured out early why they choose VR gaining this way (time consuming and no new area implemention needed as the other zones, regardless of faction, is already implemented). But for the love of god atleast make it worthwhile.

Why isn't there any veteran skills unlocked with each rank? And no attributes? Only usueable gear from every 20ish quest completed? And barley never an upgrade even then. 1 skill point for each rank, really? That's it?

No way am I doing this again on an alt/new main. I rather get shot in the face.

Very true. I hadn't even though about giving us new abilities as we level up. The whole leveling up process is just a waste of time. I'm with you. I will not quest grind in this game anymore. They better address this problem because everyone I speak to feels the same way. I have a guild of over 350 and in teamspeak everyone feels like the quest leveling grind is to much. It also does not feel like play how you want to.
  • pxtc_ESO
    pxtc_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    And how is this diff from any other game?

The difference is those other games give you something for doing the quests. In wow you would get epic items or enchants. Things you could use the rest of the game. ESO quests don't give you anything. They are just there to keep you busy. ESO seems to think it's ok to make you do boring quests with no reward. We all make better gear that can drop or be given so what's the point of questing ? They clearly miscalculated in thinking that we would keep doing senseless quests.
  • Hiddenbunny
    When the game play is static like ESO, the replayablilty is on alts. By enforcing a long arse VR levelling experience that equals to level 150, ZOS took that alt play away effectively right now.

People are bored? yes. Do they want to play an alt and try different class? they won't because it will just take too long, especially since VR takes you to other factions, you already played through all the contents.

dumbest thing ever imo.
    Edited by Hiddenbunny on May 9, 2014 7:32PM
  • pxtc_ESO
    pxtc_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sidereal wrote: »
    The problems in this post:
    1. Players are imagining that they are "forced" to do anything.
    2. Players wish to achieve top level quickly, and then maintain such status over a period of 6 months of inactivity.

Number 2 spawns from a sense of competition, though it's an illusion no doubt--rather than being "forced" to keep up with those that they view as competition, they want the competition forced to slow down. These players seem to want to play in a casual play-style while still getting that feeling of accomplishment usually experienced by hardcore players.

No one is forcing you to do anything every 4 to 6 weeks--it's your ego. It's like someone expecting to be a pro-athlete and then complaining nonstop when they have to attend practices and work out in the gym. If you want a break from PvE then take it, but if you'd like to keep up with the big dogs in PvP--you better lift, bro.

I've done the heavy lifting and it was the most boring lifting I have ever done. 10 year old WoW quests are more fun than what I just went though. If they keep raising the level cap every time they release new content then they are forcing me to do something I don't want to do. Are you serious ? Your talking about my ego. I along with many others are upset because these are the worst quests ever. They do nothing for you and you get nothing out of doing them. I have no problem grinding and doing the heavy lifting but at least make it worthwhile. Like someone stated above. We don't even get new abilities or anything as we level. It's just one more boring VR level after another.
  • pxtc_ESO
    pxtc_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    When the game play is static like ESO, the replayablilty is on alts. By enforcing a long arse VR levelling experience that equals to level 150, ZOS took that alt play away effectively right now.

People are bored? yes. Do they want to play an alt and try different class? they won't because it will just take too long, especially since VR takes you to other factions, you already played through all the contents.

dumbest thing ever imo.
    Yep, Couldn't agree more. No way am I making anything but a bank alt for this game. Can you imagine having to play through all the Alliance quests and then play through all the Horde quests just to get to top level. Then have to do it every 4 to 6 weeks ? Then imagine you get no rewards as you progress. Then also imagine you get no new abilities or skills. What do we have to look forward to in ESO. More quests ?
    Edited by pxtc_ESO on May 9, 2014 7:39PM
  • rdfarley89
    rdfarley89
    ✭✭✭
    One easy solution, unsubscribe and uninstall game, please do so ASAP.