Do you think there should be an AoE cap?

• Vartra
    Vartra
    ✭✭✭
    No
    There are many reasonable solutions to some of the balance issues, but I don't believe in the slightest that capping AoE targets is reasonable in any way. We know the results of such design decisions from other Realm vs. Realm type games, and it's not good.

I would propose taking a look at some of the more powerful AoE snares and roots like Dark Talons and evaluating their magicka cost and radius. My idea is to add an additional magicka cost per target hit BEYOND the proposed cap, essentially turning it into a soft cap. This would make dropping a powerful AoE on a large group a tactical decision because of the cost, and combat spamming AoE effects in many cases. The algorithm would evaluate closest to the epicenter first and work its way out to the edge of the radius until it runs out of valid targets or the caster runs out of magicka to fuel it.

Please consider some real, outside the box thinking to fix the problem instead of changing core gameplay functionality that will have a sweeping impact on the game as a whole in both PvP and PvE.
  • kedz54
    kedz54
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Nope , if they want , they can reduce the radius or just make the skill weaker , but it should hit* ALL targets.

This x infinity. Daoc had fall off and radius. Cmon Matt!

I have no use for skills i cant trust to hit, which is the case here.

Honestly , this is one hell of a stupid change.

Dunmer Sorcerer
  • kedz54
    kedz54
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Bah can't edit.
    Dunmer Sorcerer
  • Lord_Solous
    Lord_Solous
    Soul Shriven
    Absolutely terrible change rewarding brain dead stacking zergs
  • Arreyanne
    Arreyanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    The thing I have a problem with this is,

Warhammer online removed the cap and 2 bright wizards an a healer could wipe entire warbands, if they caught them inside a cave or other enclosed areas.

The end result AoE Wars not Warhammer.

And 2HD has an Aoe effect that is limited to 3 i think should that be removed as well?

And as long as it doesn't stack I have no problem with them not having a cap
    Edited by Arreyanne on April 26, 2014 5:17AM
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Arreyanne wrote: »

Warhammer online removed the cap and 2 bright wizards an a healer could wipe entire warbands, if they caught them inside a cave or other enclosed areas.

And 2HD has an Aoe effect that is limited to 3 i think should that be removed as well?

How many fights did you fight inside a cave in Cyrodiil?

PBAOE can be countered, as any Daoc player already knows, everyone else will learn how we did.

The whole point of aoe skills is to hit anyone in the area, not a few of them...

Oh btw this is coming from a single target/assassin type NB, im no wizzy.
    Edited by Gisgo on April 26, 2014 5:24AM
  • Rumstein
    Rumstein
    No
    Do NOT put in a target limit for AoE effects. This will only encourage large zergs. A zerg of 60 people clustered together, will only have 10% of the members hit at any one time. It will happen, this is how GW2 WvWvW works now.

Instead, put in diminishing returns above 5 targets. 100% base damage to each target if you are hitting 5 or less, each target after reduces the base damage by 10% (capped at 50% reduction). 5 targets? 100% each. 6 targets? 90% each. 10 targets+? 50% each.

You want to discourage clustering, not encourage it. Force zergs to spread out and not only does AoE become less useful, the game becomes more fun.
  • Sakej
    Sakej
    No
    There is a need to balance of some abilities like aoe's. And even make some skills work as tool tip says (still waiting ZOS). But introducing a cap on aoe's is not dealing with the issue, just making a lot of people unsatisfied.
  • Nijjion
    Nijjion
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Seriously do zenimax look at past mmos? Look what damage cap did with GW2.... Nearly a worse mmo than Warhammer online.

I would of thought higher of Matt Finor for bringing this onto us... he brings shame to DAoC.
    NijjijjioN - DK - AR27
    NijjioN - NB -
    Daggerfall Covenant
    The Nice Guys Guild
    EverQuest -> Dark Age of Camelot -> Ragnarok Online -> Cabal Online -> Guild Wars 1 -> Warhammer Online -> Vindictus -> SWTOR -> Tera -> Guild Wars 2 -> Elder Scrolls Online ->

Eagerly awaiting Camelot Unchained.
  • Soban
    Soban
    ✭✭✭
    No
    If there is going to be a cap, at the very least it should be case by case, not a blanket 6 target cap. That's almost as bad as the GW2 target cap, which actually spilled over into 5v5s thanks to pets.
    Edited by Soban on April 26, 2014 5:40AM
    <BiS>
  • Getorix
    Getorix
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Theyre changing the dk spell draw essence to only hit three targets, I only use it when theres more than three targets or its uselss, that's one spell I wont have to think about using anymore.
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No. I will be quitting if this goes live.

The reality is that they are getting flooded with calls from bads who zerg and get rolled by skilled groups. Bads are use to winning with numbers and expect the company to cater to them. Since "bads" are 90% of the playerbase, they may side with them, which is hilarious since most of these bads will be quitting after the first month anyway.

The current draw to pvp in this game is skill > numbers. You are about to end that.

This decision will cost you dearly. Rethink.
  • fischer.immanuelb16_ESO
    No
    No! Definetely: NO! It will change the game so much, that it would even support to zerg. Please Zenimax! Don't do this!
  • Semel
    Semel
    ✭✭
    No
    No. it is a ridiculous mechanic. RANDOM players will be chosen to get damage.

what??

As for impulse..

Impulse spamming has never been a problem. It is a PBAOE spell for fraks

sakes! It has a small radius around the caster, it does moderate damage and

a caster essentially becomes a suicide bomber coz it's a huge aggro magnet

and there are high risks involved.

Some clueless morons and mentally challenged whined nerf nerf nerf

about impulse as always.

Do we have to listen to ***?

But what's more important: Zenimax has ruined PVP

Now skilled groups of players CAN'T do anything against zergs. And PVP will

have one and only one tactic: zerg vs zerg.
  • flick_flipsb16_ESO
    No
    Quitting the game because this is what ruined pvp and made it a horrible..horrible..zerg fest with zero challenge or skill in GW2.

Thank you Zenimax for helping me decide to quit in just under a month! I don't think I ditched an MMO this fast! And to think..this game held promise.

Oh yea..pretty sure my whole pvp guild/friends will ditch the game with me..small..but 10 ppl less contributing to mind numbing zerginess. I'm also telling any pvpers who are undecided to NOT buy the game and to stick with GW2 -if they still settle for crap pvp- since ESO is now an exact pvp clone but with more walking.

I am very surprised that Matt Firor let this happen. I guess they are catering to the casual of casuals these days.

Camelot unchained don't fail me now!
  • Onions
    Onions
    No
    I registered just to say how much of a terrible idea this is. So many people came to this game because of the ability for small teams to have an impact in RvR against large forces. Adding an AoE cap would just turn RvR into a dead feature for many people as they dislike zerging.
  • rzeznicceb17_ESO
    No
    if you nerf AoE to 6 targets, then why shouldnt I play Guild Wars 2 instead which will have exact same pvp but has no monthly fee? It is a game breaker for me.
  • Avaki
    Avaki
    Soul Shriven
    No
    Right, because this game needs more zerging. I'm completely baffled by the decisions Zenimax is making. Are they actively trying to make this game fail?
  • Flyingdutchman87
    No
    If you want to see what capped AOE does to WPvP, look at GW2..... You have 2 groups of 40+ people all stacked on top of each other all spamming abilities.

THIS IS A QUITTING ISSUE. I(as well as many of my guildmates) WILL UN-SUB IMMEDIATELY if capped AOE is introduced....

You need uncapped AOE to combat the zerg.... Without it you are changing the entire landscape of PvP.

Uncapped AOE is not the the issue here.... Bat swarm costing 4 ultimate is..... Your making a knee-jerk reaction without actually fixing the underlying problem.
  • Naw_Sunrest
    Naw_Sunrest
    ✭✭
    No
    My entire guild came from Guild Wars 2 and we all saw the repercussions of the AoE cap there. We will all cancel our subs if this happens in ESO. No joke.
  • Razeo
    Razeo
    No
    Wow........ just wow...... I can't believe the devs even considered putting this into the PTS in the 1st place. And here I thought I finally found the game that would be a worthy sucessor to DAoC, boy was I wrong. If this goes live, its pretty much safe to assume that you won't be getting my money afterwards.
  • Zhakim
    Zhakim
    No
    Arreyanne wrote: »

If people in a zerg are too stupid to control a priest healing two bright wizards, they deserved to be annihilated. Stupidity is not an excuse to nerf smart tactics. Spread out, get good and stop ruining my pvp.
  • Varivox9
    Varivox9
    ✭✭✭
    No
    If ZOS wants a quick way to push all the PvPers out of their sub, putting in a cap is a great idea! I already hate the lack of xp in PvP, this would be enough to ensure my (currently on the fence) sub loss.
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    heres a bit of our twitch stream from tonight, showing why there should not be an aoe cap. strategy and skill wins, not numbers. you are about to change that.

http://www.twitch.tv/np3guitar/b/523093409?t=285m20s
  • xev7742
    xev7742
    Soul Shriven
    No
    Every PvP guild I know - which is more than a few - will quit if this change goes through. The AoE cap was the #1 complaint about GW2 WvW, threatening to repeat this mistake is dumbfounding.
  • tw1jaysin
    tw1jaysin
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Everyone above me covered my reasons. So, just a resounding NO.
  • Illicit
    Illicit
    No
    92% currently voting no. Hope you are listening Zenimax, expect a drop in subscriber count if you don't.
  • Avaery
    Avaery
    No
    So basically this affects healers too? What use is a healer that can't reliably heal the people that need it most? The server selects 6 randoms in range to receive heals if there is a cluster of players in your AOE? What of 12 man group content if you cap AOE abilities to affect only 6 players? Buffs and heals wont cover the whole party?
    Edited by Avaery on April 26, 2014 6:41AM
  • cryptoanarchy
    No
    I bought ESO for the PvP, and then shortly after the mechanics are going to be changed to be just like GW2?? I, like many others, have a yearning desire for quality RvR. GW2 stacked zergfests with zero tools for smaller, skilled groups to stand a chance is exactly what I have been sick of and have been trying to avoid.

And now one of the greatest things that differentiates the PvP from GW2 and ESO is going to be gone. Wow. Just wow. As stated many times already, expect many people to unsubscribe if this change rolls out to live.
    Edited by cryptoanarchy on April 26, 2014 7:03AM
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    not just many. expect AT LEAST half your subs to drop if you implement this. it is unacceptable.

matt firor should be ashamed that this even made it to the pts.
    Edited by Lowbei on April 26, 2014 6:45AM
This discussion has been closed.