The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Can I cap FPS?

aRealClassAct
aRealClassAct
✭✭✭
Is there any way I can edit a config file to cap my fps around 35/40? I think the game would run a lot better on my old system and my 9800 gt GPU.... Thank in advance!
Edited by aRealClassAct on April 9, 2014 10:43PM
  • aRealClassAct
    aRealClassAct
    ✭✭✭
    bump
  • aRealClassAct
    aRealClassAct
    ✭✭✭
    Guess not :/
  • murklor007neb18_ESO
    You can cap it to 60 fps.

Is what I would have said if the game had true fullscreen which could use adaptive vsync.

You cannot frame cap it to my knowledge. Nor would it help your fps in any way, that 9800gt will still perform like a 6 year old card cap or not
  • aRealClassAct
    aRealClassAct
    ✭✭✭
    Not true. I'm getting 70+ fps at some points according to the in game frame monitor. Lowering that number would definitely take some stress off my card. Oh well though, I'm sure there will me a way at some point.
  • murklor007neb18_ESO
    Not true. I'm getting 70+ fps at some points according to the in game frame monitor. Lowering that number would definitely take some stress off my card. Oh well though, I'm sure there will me a way at some point.
    Not sure what "stress" you refer to. The game wont run better at 35-40 fps compared to 70 fps. Of course the card will run cooler and quieter, but that's a whole other thing than thinking the game run better.
  • darkkterror_ESO
    darkkterror_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Not that I agree that capping the framerate to a lower level will help improve performance (technically lower framerate is the definition of running worse), but to answer your question...

Go to your 'My Documents' (typically just called 'Documents' in Windows Vista/7/8 ) folder. Then go to Elder Scrolls Online > Live. In the Live folder you will find a file called UserSettings.txt. Open this.

In that text file you will find a line: SET MinFrameTime.2 "0.01000000"

To cap your framerate to a specific value, that ^ setting can be changed to a value equal to 1 divided by the target framerate. For example, if you wanted to cap the framerate to 40 FPS, the value you would use is 1 / 40 = 0.025.

SET MinFrameTime.2 "0.02500000"

That is what you would change that line to in order to cap framerate at 40FPS. Save the text file when you're done, of course, and make sure both ESO and the launcher are closed when you do this.
    Edited by darkkterror_ESO on April 10, 2014 7:10PM
  • aRealClassAct
    aRealClassAct
    ✭✭✭
    My Nvidia card is old and runs very hot (upwards of 100 degrees celsius at times). Though it is rated for up to 120 celsius, I would like to keep it in the 90s if possible. That being said, Lowering the framerate is my best option for doing this since I will more than likely not even perceive the difference. So thank you very much for the help, @darkkterror_ESO
    Edited by aRealClassAct on April 14, 2014 4:23AM
  • Socratic
    Socratic
    ✭✭✭
    That's hot indeed. I;ve read anything above 105-110 Celsius affects the silicon architecture. I don't know if turning v sync on and lowering your refresh rate of your monitor would lower the fps but I see someones been kind enough to telll you how to edit it in a file.
  • TomLukman
    TomLukman
    ✭✭✭
    That's way too hot. You should try cleaning the electronics of your computer - best done by taking the computer outside, opening the case and blowing the insides with an air compressor. If you're scared to do it yourself, have a profesional do it. This will ensure your computer runs at normal temperature and will prolong its life. High heat will not only ruin the silicon but will also speed up the decay of onboard electrolytic capacitors.
  • aRealClassAct
    aRealClassAct
    ✭✭✭
    TomLukman wrote: »
    That's way too hot. You should try cleaning the electronics of your computer - best done by taking the computer outside, opening the case and blowing the insides with an air compressor. If you're scared to do it yourself, have a profesional do it. This will ensure your computer runs at normal temperature and will prolong its life. High heat will not only ruin the silicon but will also speed up the decay of onboard electrolytic capacitors.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm a PC tech :P It's a older computer and the Nvidia 9800 is known to run hot even brand new (up to 120c). I've already taken everything apart, cleaned, repasted, and reballed the gpu itself. The frame rate cap I put in now has it running at a nice 80-90c :)

My issue now is horrendous lag when I am around a large amount of players, but I suspect that is a processor issue that I wont be able to fix until I can upgrade my computer :/

• Socratic
    Socratic
    ✭✭✭
    My gpu throttles itself when it get to 91c at full load, takes it down to 60% for a second then back up then down then up etc and so forth, I need to crank the fans up to stop throttle but get more noise :(.
  • Bayezid
    Bayezid
    ✭✭
    Ok i need some help here.

I have a 120hz monitor and i am hearing reports that ESO is always capped at 60 frames per second.

But the addons i use clearly show frame rates at 65-73 fps. I'm confused.

Is ESO capped in the sense that it will always display 60 frames on the 120hz monitor even if it is running beyond 60 fps?
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Nvidia card is old and runs very hot (upwards of 100 degrees celsius at times). Though it is rated for up to 120 celsius, I would like to keep it in the 90s if possible. That being said, Lowering the framerate is my best option for doing this since I will more than likely not even perceive the difference. So thank you very much for the help, @darkkterror_ESO

Nothing silicon based can run at 120C without frying itself. Really 90 is the extreme upper limit, anything above that can cause damage. And even 90 can cause damage over time if it stays that hot. Sounds like you need to clean the fans out, or check the thermal compound.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bayezid wrote: »
    Ok i need some help here.

I have a 120hz monitor and i am hearing reports that ESO is always capped at 60 frames per second.

But the addons i use clearly show frame rates at 65-73 fps. I'm confused.

Is ESO capped in the sense that it will always display 60 frames on the 120hz monitor even if it is running beyond 60 fps?

The only way it will cap is via modifying the file as @darkkterror_ESO‌ indicated or via Vsync enabled.

You can also type in /fps in the chat window and see your framerate directly via ESO.

If neither of these things is the case and no third party software or video card config is limited your framerate, you should see the max that your GPU can provide so long as the CPU has information to send it.

@aRealClassAct‌, unless you're baking potatoes in there, that's a bit toasty...and putting stress on the rest of your components, as well.

The best recommendation I can give is drop $30 on a 200 series...it's a major upgrade from what you have, will perform better, and will not cause your case to have that ominous red glow. It'll be more optimized and give you great results with additional GPU features for little cash.

The other alternative, rather than capping your framerate is to turn off/down some of the additional effects. Water reflection, view distance, grass...all of these things are fairly minor eye-candy that you can probably live without without taking too much away from the game. These alone will take significant stress off your GPU without sacrificing your fps.

You can use the /fps in chat and adjust these one at a time and see the difference. Your framerate will likely go up. Your GPU usage (and the heat it produces) will likely go down.
    Edited by Merlin13KAGL on June 5, 2014 5:28PM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS