Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

FPS Lag after Patch- Nice *** Patch

blackmamba
Anyone else getting FPS lag after this patch
  • agna
    agna
    I was only commenting last night how lag free the game is even in huge PvP fights and now after the patch it's stuttering so bad it's almost unplayable :(

What gives Devs?
  • agna
    agna
    i7 (@4.6mhz), 32 gig ram plus a OC'd 770 and my frame rate now stutters between 99 and 14. It used to be solid at 60+ minimum (running Ultra settings btw)

Great game and I accept there will be early teething problems but please, for the love of god, promise me you'll return it to the silky smooth graphics we had before this last patch!
  • blackmamba
    Obviously they changed somesthing in this patch that drops the fps in big fights
  • blackmamba
    Yes i7, with 16 gig ram and r9 290 and extreme stuttering in frame rates
  • blackmamba
    can someone from zenomax please respond
  • agna
    agna
    I'm stuttering in Daggerfall. I did some testing and it seems to be relating to targeting as it only starts to drop the frame rate as you mouseover npc's and players. If you don't mouseove those then you get no lag.
  • blackmamba
    I have the same experience as agna
  • blackmamba
    I have found a possiblie solution by turning off teh esohead addon.
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    blackmamba wrote: »
    I have found a possiblie solution by turning off teh esohead addon.

Please people, disable your addons after a patch. Game updates change how the game works, particularly interacting with addons. Addons written for an older version of the game can cause *extreme* FPS issues until they are updated properly. 8 years of WOW taught me to NOT ever just blindly check "enable outdated addons".

After the game works properly without addons, THEN enable your addons one at a time. That way, if you encounter an issue, you can say "Aha, this FPS issue started when I enabled <x> addon, I'll go report the issue to the addon author", rather than just saying "omg the game doesn't work". This is part of MMO 101.

After every WOW patch, there were the inevitable "My FPS is really low after this patch" threads. 95% of those were caused by addons (the rare ones that weren't were usually extremely outdated video drivers). ESO uses the same type of Lua addon system that WOW uses, so the same behavior should be expected.
    Edited by Saerydoth on April 7, 2014 11:01PM
  • GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Confirmed - it's esohead addon causing issue. There's a bug in it.
  • saki
    saki
    ✭✭✭
    Free 30 days gone on fixing
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭

I think there needs to be a sticky about addons in the tech support forum, specifically for this reason. Because people blindly check the "load outdated addons" button, and then inevitably post hate/profanity filled posts in the forums, blaming Zenimax for something that was in no way their issue.
  • chris_owen23b16_ESO
    GossiTheDog wrote: »

I think there needs to be a sticky about addons in the tech support forum, specifically for this reason. Because people blindly check the "load outdated addons" button, and then inevitably post hate/profanity filled posts in the forums, blaming Zenimax for something that was in no way their issue.

I also confirm that the esohead addon was causing the fps lag. I also agree with Saerydoth that a short sticky is added to the forums with regards to addons and the link to fps loss. People should confirm that the fps loss isn't caused by their own doing (eg, installing addons) before flaming at Zenimax.
  • gavinzoey123_ESO
    gavinzoey123_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I am having this lag issue as well, last weekend it was running fine, now my fps goes all over the place. And I currently have no addons installed, so it's not that. I was even able to record while playing this game at 50 fps just fine, now I can't even get half that if I try to record.