The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO support asking for account info over email.

thefreezingvoid
On two different occasions with ESO Support, they have asked me to provide account info to further the ticket, about an issue that is completely unrelated to my account.
This is highly suspicious and I have to keep checking the email address to be sure it really their support. And if then I am concerned I am responding to a account hacker.

If ESO support is asking these sorts of questions, then it would be really easy for someone to create a fake ESO support and start stealing accounts.

I hope I haven't already fallen victim to this.

Seriously, is ESO support really asking people to provide account info? Let alone over email?
Edited by thefreezingvoid on April 7, 2014 9:48PM
  • Charwyn
    Charwyn
    ✭✭
    They were asking for secret answer only, didn't theY? What else?
  • dysphorya
    dysphorya
    ✭✭✭
    Try going to the ESO site's support page (by typing it into your browser, not from any links in any of the emails you've gotten) and request contact by phone, not email. You'll have to supply your phone number (obviously), but you should be able to speak to someone directly and ensure you're not getting any phishing attempts.
  • potsherds
    potsherds
    ✭✭
    I've simply flat-out refused to give the CSR rep my info. There's no reason to need that information for flipping customer service issues and it seems wholly improper for anyone to ask.

I've requested twice to be called for my issue, once Sat afternoon, once Sunday evening and haven't heard back from anyone.
  • thefreezingvoid
    Charwyn wrote: »

The also asked my for name, date of birth, and email address, in addition to the secret answer.

If they are already asking these sorts of questions, it seems to me, it wouldn't be a stretch for a fake eso support to ask someone for their password and people might fall for it.

I don't see why they need the sort of info in the first place, when my issue was about an issue with in-game rewards, not about my account.
    Edited by thefreezingvoid on April 7, 2014 9:29PM
  • Drecapz7
    Drecapz7
    That is common question to make sure to 100% positively ID you. Only you or someone really close would know that answer.
  • dysphorya
    dysphorya
    ✭✭✭
    I've exchanged several support tickets with ZOS. They haven't asked me for any information about my account, despite the tickets being about subscriptions and game activation under my account. Trust your instincts -- don't give them that information in email (name and date of birth can be handing off "keys to the kingdom"). Frankly, it might be a good idea to submit a new ticket from your smartphone/tablet or another computer.
  • Niria
    Niria

Secret answer AND the last 4 digits of my credit card before they would even escalate my bank wipe for restore. 2 days wasted while I waited over 24 hours for a single response from CS just to get on the list.

• Kaiem
    Kaiem
    ✭✭
    Drecapz7 wrote: »
    That is common question to make sure to 100% positively ID you. Only you or someone really close would know that answer.

There is absolutely no need for them to be asking for this for general in game issues. Having previously done fraud prevention work I'm shocked they would ask this in such unnecessary situations as they have been for a number of people.
  • thefreezingvoid
    Kaiem wrote: »
    Drecapz7 wrote: »

There is absolutely no need for them to be asking for this for general in game issues. Having previously done fraud prevention work I'm shocked they would ask this in such unnecessary situations as they have been for a number of people.
    I completely agree. If it was account related, I could understand it, still don't think its wise to ask for this info over email, but a little justified.

But if the issue has to do with something in-game, such as lost, missing or deleted items, I see no reason this info should be needed to escalate a ticket.

They are just putting their customers in harms way, but asking for this info when it isn't absolutely necessary to deal with the issue.
    Edited by thefreezingvoid on April 7, 2014 9:50PM
  • Spiderg1rl
    Spiderg1rl
    ✭✭✭

The also asked my for name, date of birth, and email address, in addition to the secret answer.

If they are already asking these sorts of questions, it seems to me, it wouldn't be a stretch for a fake eso support to ask someone for their password and people might fall for it.

I don't see why they need the sort of info in the first place, when my issue was about an issue with in-game rewards, not about my account.
    I got asked the very same things, I didn't answer it all as I thought it was too much info to confirm who I am. They never got in touch with me again about my ticket, that was a week ago.

I did get a survey email the next day asking for my opinion and I told them my thoughts about asking all those questions. I can't even see my dob on my account to make sure its right so that seemed the oddest question.
  • cazlonb16_ESO
    cazlonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most other MMO's CS actually make a point of NEVER asking for account or personal information.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    ✭✭✭
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    These guys have made soooooo many rookie online mistakes, that obviously have been mined out of the process in other games over the years. Surprising that they evidently decided they could do it all without hiring anyone with real time online programming skills/experience..

Of course I am talking about Healthcare.org here.
    The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't answer them for the requested info then they will assume it is not your account and will no longer respond.
  • Korlynn
    Korlynn
    Niria wrote: »

Secret answer AND the last 4 digits of my credit card before they would even escalate my bank wipe for restore. 2 days wasted while I waited over 24 hours for a single response from CS just to get on the list.

I wouldn't have given my last four digits of my CC either. Why do they need your CC or to confirm it's you with your CC for a customer service issue?

• potsherds
    potsherds
    ✭✭
    Most other MMO's CS actually make a point of NEVER asking for account or personal information.

Yep. It's also why I refused, and will always refuse, to give CSR personal information. It's unnecessary for them to have it in order to help me out, as many other game companies have proven in the past.
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because they are confirming you are the owner of the account, if you refuse to give the info then they will assume you are not the owner
  • Kainam
    Kainam
    They asked me all kinds of questions, like what kind of undergarments I was wearing..... After 4 hours of this I started to get suspicious.
    Don't forget the hundreds of voices that must be heard. This thread was closed, but we are still here.
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhoric wrote: »
    Because they are confirming you are the owner of the account, if you refuse to give the info then they will assume you are not the owner

Nailed it. Surprised that people are so apprehensive about this.
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • Goibot
    Goibot
    ✭✭✭
    I would like a Dev to explain what their policy is for asking account info. Might clear a few things up.
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    They have your registered email and phone number. If they need to verify they can email or call you.

Don't give personal info out.

That's a rule only the vey stupid don't follow..
    The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • Zaggolf
    Zaggolf
    ✭✭✭
    Yea they asked for my name birthday ect....TELL you pr to stop
    Fanboy's don't keep a game running! GAMER'S DO!!!
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, when I had reason to contact them, they asked me for my account secret question (not the answer, they were clear on that subject) in an email that was obviously from them because it contained all of the information I had entered along with a bunch of their own information.
    Edited by Elsonso on April 7, 2014 10:59PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • drunkenmastarb16_ESO
    Can not confirm this. I wanted to change my User ID, coz I still had the beta one, which wasn´t chosen by myself, but given to me by Zenimax. Which includes it showing my e-mail adress.

So I contacted the Support at 3rd April, they answered within 6 hours, asked me for:
    -Answer to my secret question
    -last 4 digits of my CC
    -Paypal Payment ID

Actually I gave em informations on my question... and no answer since then.

A second ticket, pointing out they did not react for 4 days, and also telling em to delete my previously sent ticket (as it seems they are not working on it anymore) led to the support answering within 1 hour, telling me they closed the new ticket as i already got one with the same topic.

I´m starting to get pissed off right now, as it´s been 5 days now, for just some database editing, but still, nothings happening right now... hope my new request for telephone support doesnt take as long as this one.

Srsly, Zenimax´s support starts to remind me on the GOA support of Mythic´s DAoC.... and thats nothing any support should aim for.
  • Zw3ihander
    This is what I got when I needed help.

My first answer that I got was to be honest absolutely useless. I was(still are) having problem with making a sub plan and the answer I got was.....create a' account. I did not know you could play(had early access) and create a sub plan without a' account but ok.

My second answer when I said that creating a account really wasn't my problem.

"I'm terribly sorry you're experiencing this issue. Rest assure, we will resolve it and get you up and playing as soon as possible. In order to access and verify your account, please provide the following information:

DOB
    Email
    Security Question"

is it just me that's too bloody paranoid for my own good?? I mean, I don't remember ever entering a DOB (but my memory sucks so what do I know, and if I know myself it's prob a fake one anyway). Email.......the one you just sent to? and I'm gonna assume that they are not asking for the answer to my question but the question itself......right? is it legit and I'm just facepalming myself back to the stone age?

sorry for the rant and all misspellings but I really need to ask someone other then....well....me:)
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, they're asking you the security question I believe (I've seen others mention that), that's just a bit of added security, given the variety of questions their system has it's another piece of information someone other than you may not know.

You may have entered your DOB at some point in the account setup process, it's not listed in the account info.

I can only guess they're asking you for the registered e-mail address since it may be possible (I don't know) to contact them using some other address, so again they're looking to verify you are the real account holder.
    Edited by KerinKor on April 8, 2014 10:58AM
  • Zw3ihander
    Well I took KerinKor's words to heart and gave them what they wanted, but dear god they aren't making it easy for a paranoid freak like me.

Now they want me to include the answer to my security question as well.