The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Lag Spike/Freezing

rynn21_ESO
Every time I've played ESO there's been random brief game freezes on even my high-end machine. It makes the game look like it's going to error out and stay frozen, but it gets corrected within 5 seconds.
  • Odditorium
    Odditorium
    ✭✭✭
    Glad I'm not the only one. I thought it was my hardware or connection.
    PC/NA
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Dandy Warhol -|- Odditorium
    Oscillation Overthruster -|- Molag Trump
    Kira the Gelfling -|- Varag Ghoul-Chewer
    Buffy the Purple Slayer -|- Hostile Seventeen

OTG
    Ayrenn's Army
    AD Only
  • raraz
    raraz
    Same here. Not sure if lowering settings help.
    Keep on keeping on
  • white00devil
    closing the launcher can help
  • rynn21_ESO
    Ultra-high usually makes it freak out the most, but even on lowered settings it happens.
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone knows a workaround/fix for this?
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open your UserSettings and change

SET RequestedNumThreads "-1"
    to
    SET RequestedNumThreads "0"
  • rynn21_ESO
    What does that do?
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It fixes the issue.

Technically? I have no idea.
  • rynn21_ESO
    Found this online:

"One tip I found in the beta forums related to crashing was advice to change the following setting found in …\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\UserSettings.txt

Change: SET RequestedNumThreads “-1″
    To: SET RequestedNumThreads “0″
    Set your UserSettings.txt to READ only after (or the setting may revert)

What this does is disables the main CPU thread from requesting additional thread work from another CPU thread (some sub-work will still occur on other CPU threads). This has a tendency to fix crashes on Mac processors and some older x86 processors. Setting RequestedNumThreads to 0 WILL decrease your performance some in intensive CPU situations (like PvP and in towns). But this has been reported to fix some CPU related crashes with processors which don’t handle ESO multi-threading as gracefully as it should.

As Moonraker highlighted, everyone who has been honest with me is reporting and showing that ESO is very heavily CPU limited in PvP and some specific PvE areas (like in town). ESO is so heavily CPU limited in PvP that even overclocked i7 processors are unable to keep FPS over 30 in the most intense PvP situations. Lowering graphic quality only helps the issue same, as the problem is essentially core to the game engine design and its lack of culling information from a massive number of players present in PvP. I’ve filed bugs to ESO highlighting the problems along with some recommendations they can do to help users and give us some options to help resolve the problem.

If you do want to improve PvP performance these are things you can do, listed from most effective to least:

Upgrade or overclock your CPU
    Reduce your view distance (this helps the most on many systems)
    Reduce or turn off shadows
    Reduce texture quality
    Reduce particle density"
  • Hyperventilate
    Hyperventilate
    ✭✭✭
    Gisgo wrote: »
    Open your UserSettings and change

SET RequestedNumThreads "-1"
    to
    SET RequestedNumThreads "0"

This is exactly what worked for me. I did this fix while it was still in EA and I haven't had a lockup or freeze since.