The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Permabanned for nothing. Beware- This can happen to you.

Vyrthure
Vyrthure
✭✭
Response By Email (Robert) (04/05/2014 05:59 PM)
Hello

This email is to inform you that the Elder Scrolls online account associated with this email address has been permanently deactivated for use of use of third party programs. After reviewing the records from the game server, it was determined that this account has used a speed altering program. This use of any third party program is strictly prohibited by the Terms of Service and Code of Conduct, and will not be tolerated.

Warm Regards,
Rob @ The Elder Scrolls Online Team
ESO_help@zenimaxonline.com
/help for in-game help

But I was told

Response By Email (Karl) (04/03/2014 09:02 PM)
Greetings Mighty Vyrthure!!

I'm Karl with The Elder Scrolls Online Customer Support Team

I can assure you that you have no suspensions on your account, you've been a good adventurer ;)

However, your login issue is interesting. Could you please clarify for me whether you are using your UserId or your email address? There was an update to security recently that meant players now have to use their UserId.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Karl
The Elder Scrolls Online Customer Support Team

What the heck is going on here. I haven't even been able to login to play how would I be able to use a third party program?
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it sounds as though your account was hacked! Someone guessed your password, changed it so you couldn't get in, and then got it banned for cheating.

You should probably change your passwords everywhere to stronger ones.

As for appealing the perma-ban, well, you *might* be able to use IP addresses to prove it wasn't you? Depends if you always log in from the same place and have a fixed IP.
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • loco
    loco
    ✭✭
    If the dates are right, the banned one came after the login issue one.
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a classical account compromise to me. Couldn't log in because someone changed the password, then the hacker proceeded to use speed hacks. I wouldn't put any faith in the "guessing password" thing either. That does not happen in the real world, that's a Hollywood invention. The way hackers get your login information is by 1) keyloggers on your computer, 2) getting you to go to a fake website and "log in" with your ESO credentials (this is what the "gold sellers" spamming zone chat are doing - they aren't actually selling gold, they are harvesting people's account information for compromise), or 3) getting you to give them the username/password via phishing/social engineering.

I can't speak for how Zenimax works in this regard, but there should be an appeal system where you can ask them to look for a compromise. I'm sure IP address logs are kept, and this is one way Blizzard verifies compromise. It's highly unlikely that Zenimax is any different in this regard.
    Edited by Saerydoth on April 5, 2014 11:13PM
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going to say that is *really* freaking weird.
  • Spartycuss
    Spartycuss
    ✭✭✭
    stop using speed hacks lol, i doubt somebody guessed your password unless your have a key logger on your system. Sorry man.
  • Hyperventilate
    Hyperventilate
    ✭✭✭
    Spartycuss wrote: »
    stop using speed hacks lol, i doubt somebody guessed your password unless your have a key logger on your system. Sorry man.

You've apparently never heard of brute forcing or dictionary hacks. No password is unguessable. None. Not a single one. However, some are more difficult to guess. You don't need a keylogger to lose your password. If someone wants into your account, they need your login ID & a lot of patience -- There are programs out there that will continually guess your password until it's correct, even if it's a jumble of letters & numbers.

Something is fishy on this situation, though. Whether the OP is withholding information, or there is something winky wonky on the back end for Zenimax.
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saerydoth wrote: »
    I wouldn't put any faith in the "guessing password" thing either. That does not happen in the real world, that's a Hollywood invention. The way hackers get your login information is by 1) keyloggers on your computer, 2) getting you to go to a fake website and "log in" with your ESO credentials (this is what the "gold sellers" spamming zone chat are doing - they aren't actually selling gold, they are harvesting people's account information for compromise), or 3) getting you to give them the username/password via phishing/social engineering.
    Social engineering was exactly what I meant by "guessing". Another human guessing the password based on publicly available information, or based on the user having used the same password on multiple sites. That's why I said "change your passwords everywhere" :wink: .
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭

You've apparently never heard of brute forcing or dictionary hacks. No password is unguessable. None. Not a single one. However, some are more difficult to guess. You don't need a keylogger to lose your password. If someone wants into your account, they need your login ID & a lot of patience -- There are programs out there that will continually guess your password until it's correct, even if it's a jumble of letters & numbers.

Something is fishy on this situation, though. Whether the OP is withholding information, or there is something winky wonky on the back end for Zenimax.

Ironically, more "complex" passwords are MUCH easier for a computer to brute force than longer, simpler ones. See this for an explanation:

http://xkcd.com/936/

Something like "pork summer outhouse" is hundreds of times more secure and harder to brute force than passwords with letters, symbols, etc.

And I wouldn't say something is fishy. As an 8 year WOW veteran (finally quit for good 4 months ago), I saw this happen *all the time*. Accounts would get compromised, and the hackers would spam gold ads and bot on the accounts and get them banned. This was always reversed on appeal (provided the account wasn't actually compromised - I did see one or two people try to "fake" an account compromise to get free stuff).
    Edited by Saerydoth on April 6, 2014 12:10AM
  • xhunter
    xhunter
    Ironically, more "complex" passwords are MUCH easier for a computer to brute force than longer, simpler ones. See this for an explanation:

Something like "pork summer outhouse" is hundreds of times more secure and harder to brute force than passwords with letters, symbols, etc.

It is easier than a completely randomly generated password that involves letter (with random capitalization), numbers, and symbols. 1Password for the win!

=x;28Du@C,D4T63U$2cQJ3&hvFQn9k7iK3aWED$AT@L.ibKxV] is a great password if anyone needs one. :P
    Edited by xhunter on April 6, 2014 12:11AM
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    xhunter wrote: »

It is easier than a completely randomly generated password that involves letter (with random capitalization), numbers, and symbols. 1Password for the win!

=x;28Du@C,D4T63U$2cQJ3&hvFQn9k7iK3aWED$AT@L.ibKxV] is a great password if anyone needs one. :P

But noone in the world is going to remember that, and in the meantime, I could make my password "pork summer outhouse correct horse battery staple" and i would be every bit as safe from brute forcing as yours, if not more so.
  • xhunter
    xhunter
    xhunter wrote: »

But noone in the world is going to remember that, and in the meantime, I could make my password "pork summer outhouse correct horse battery staple" and i would be every bit as safe from brute forcing as yours, if not more so.

I don't need to remember it. I just use 1Password to store and fill passwords. I have my master password set to something I will remember, but is equally strong.
  • randomaffliction66
    randomaffliction66
    ✭✭✭

Even with a brute force, or a word dictionary ( Which is used when you try and crack, and is not actually a " Type" of cracking ) you still either need

1. Access to the email on the account to verify the change.
    2. Have the actual owner of the account be stupid enough to either not monitor their email, and or confirm the change them self :)

I've played quite a few mmos over the years that list the account name, I don't agree with it but I don't mind it, I see this b becoming a problem in the future though, I would have to assume, from seeing and hearing stories over the years, that many people will fall prey to loosing their accounts due to providing information they shouldn't.

Just because the name of this game is Elder scrolls online, that feature should be removed entirely and only show character names, this game will attract massive amounts of people.

Small crappy games can get away with it, this one can't I would bet that with in six months or less they change that.
    Edited by randomaffliction66 on April 6, 2014 12:27AM
    Brave New World.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was *just* looking for that @Saerydoth‌
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭

Even with a brute force, or a word dictionary ( Which is used when you try and crack, and is not actually a " Type" of cracking ) you still either need

1. Access to the email l on the account to verify the change.
    2. Have the actually owner of the account be stupid enough to either not monitor their email, and or confirm the change them self :)

I'vep layed quite a few games that list the account name, I don't agree with it but I don't mind it, I see this b becoming a problem in the future though, I would have to assume for seeing and hearing stories over the years, that many people will fall pray to loosing their accounts due to providing information they shouldn't.

Just because the name of this game is Elder scrolls online, that feature should be removed entirely and only show character names, this game will attract massive amounts of people.

Small crappy games can get away with it, this one can't I would bet that with in six months or less they change that.

This is exactly what happens with WOW accounts. They get into your email account, and then compromise the game account from there. The email account is often the weak link.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2. Have the actually owner of the account be stupid enough to either not monitor their email, and or confirm the change them self :)

I'vep layed quite a few games that list the account name, I don't agree with it but I don't mind it, I see this b becoming a problem in the future though, I would have to assume for seeing and hearing stories over the years, that many people will fall pray to loosing their accounts due to providing information they shouldn't.

This is exactly what happens with WOW accounts. They get into your email account, and then compromise the game account from there. The email account is often the weak link.

The kingpin of one of the big gold selling companies actually admitted how they get most of their information.

Stealing or purchasing the user databases of fansites or guild hosting websites and trying the password/email combinations found in them.

The hashes are easy to decrypt if you know what you're doing, and most of those sites don't use super difficult to break encryption.
  • randomaffliction66
    randomaffliction66
    ✭✭✭

Cracking an email still requires a failing on the part of the user though lol, If you enter your info on a phising link it's your own fault, Sure they can get your email, by getting into your account page here, which is why zos should " Asterisk " it out. And even then they have to once again crack that password, and in that case yes your screwed, unless you have a good password.
    Brave New World.
  • Brittany_Joy
    Brittany_Joy
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am wondering if you bought ESO from a third party website? Or you use an internet cafe?

From experience the UserID is never enough for hackers to hack into without you providing valid info on your account through a certain website.

Alot of people are experiencing log in issues and alot of people bought their ESO through a third party website that offers a discount. To me that sounds odd because how the shell can they make any money if they are constantly offering discounts on games they do not own.
  • randomaffliction66
    randomaffliction66
    ✭✭✭
    You know I just checked out the account page, and I see he following.

Passwords can only contain the letters ( A-Z ). meaning ( unless I misunderstood ) you can't use for example, | \ / ** etc.. ( I could be wrong )
    This is a serious problem if that's the case^

Perhaps I didn't look hard enough ( I did )
    Their isn't an option to change your Email address.
    Words can not express how much that makes die inside^ What self respecting, semi decent mmo wont allow you to change your email address.

Zos you need to change this lol
    Brave New World.
  • Katrisa
    Katrisa
    ✭✭✭
    You need to notify customer support you think your account was hacked and go from there. This weirdness is not uncommon in MMOs when their accounts get hacked. I'm a software engineer and keep my PC 100% clean of keyscrapers and never access anything which could scrap my passwords. But even then one month my WoW account was hacked when the Neverwinter nights forums were hacked and all of their data was scrapped. Sure enough my wow secret answers and neverwinter secret answers were the same (along with email) allowing hackers to access my wow acount.

Its shameful and wrong to have to fight against hackers so aggressively, but that is what we all have to do.

You should make sure to change all of your passwords online which match your current ESO password and then work with customer service on understanding that you think your account was hacked and you haven't been able to login properly. They should be able to work through you on the issue, just be aware it may take a couple days with how busy they are right now.
  • KrakhenJr
    KrakhenJr
    ✭✭
    What baratron is saying is that there have been multiple data breaches lately on the interwebs and your user/password combination could be compromised.
    PC/NA
    Elder Scrolls fan since ES3: Morrowind
    Dunmer lore fan!
  • Putok
    Putok
    ✭✭✭
    The two emails appear to be formatted and written differently. My guess is one of the two was a phishing email.