The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Low FPS while playing with a GTX 760

SaycoDevil
So i upgraded my graphics card yesterday from gtx 550 ti to gtx 760. I am getting about 30 fps on ultra and dropping as low as 20 fps.
Specs:
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core 2 Extreme CPU Q6850 3.0 GHz
8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
1TB HDD
ZOTAC GTX 760 AMP! Edition
PSU Ultra 650W

Now i know that you will probably mention a bottleneck between the CPU and GPU but when I am running the game, the GPU load is at 50% and CPU is at roughly 35 - 40 %.
I have no idea whats going on and why my frames are so low. Temps are fine imo, max is 65c.

If anyone has some tips or an idea. I also re-installed win 8.1 but keeping my personal files.
  • ZOS_RobertM
    ZOS_RobertM
    ✭✭
    Hey,

What connections are you using for your card? DVI, HDMI, VGA, DisplayPort?
    Staff Post
  • hotcoffeeburns
    You have a very similar setup to my son's computer, and he was experiencing the exact same issues. I tried a lot of different things before trying a different video card, and none of them worked. Plopped an old Radeon 4890 in, and the game runs just fine on High settings.

The one thing I did notice, and it would be good if you could confirm, is that it didn't matter what the settings were, the issues still existed when trying to run with the 760. So Low settings ran just as well as High settings, which is to say it didn't run well at all. The one thing I didn't try was disabling ShadowPlay in the GeForce Experience, but that is generally something you have to turn on anyway. What motherboard do you have, as I did wonder yesterday if that was somehow a factor in my son's issues with the game.
  • SaycoDevil
    I am using a DVI connection to the monitor. Also my motherboard is the ASUS P5P43TD.

The FPS is about the same whether I am playing on ultra or High, but at medium I can achieve 60 fps, not consistent but it does reach 60.
    Edited by SaycoDevil on April 4, 2014 2:00PM
  • WylieCoyote1511
    WylieCoyote1511
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

I'm having these kind of issues also, albeit my graphics card isn't as good as yours.

I have

AMD FX 6 core sitting at 3.31 GHZ

Gigabyte GTX 670

4 GB RAM

ASUS Sabretooth 990 motherboard.

Windows 8.1 64bit

Fps can drop as low as 20, and the max i've seen is like 80 but that's looking up at the sky lol.

Checking task manager etc, there is low cpu and gpu usage.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
  • Ballermfrau
    Ballermfrau
    ✭✭✭
    Your cpu Limits your graka
  • hotcoffeeburns
    Hey,

What connections are you using for your card? DVI, HDMI, VGA, DisplayPort?

For my son's setup, this is what it is:

ASRock H55DE3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel i5 750

EVGA GTX 760 2GB

8 GB Crucial DDR

Windows 8.1 64-bit

Corsair 600w PSU

500GB WD HD

64GB Crucial SSD

As I mentioned, I tried quite a few different things, none helped with the 760 in the system. It's hooked up via DVI to a 24" Dell monitor. Tried older drivers than the latest ones, etc. Nothing helped. Put an older video card in, tada, works great. I've been building my own PCs since '93, and actually work in the game industry myself, and I've not encountered anything this strange before.

I should also mention that the card performs just fine in all other games, so I have a hard time thinking that the card is going bad.
    Edited by hotcoffeeburns on April 4, 2014 3:09PM
  • FlatFeet
    FlatFeet
    ✭✭✭
    Same issues with a GTX Titan. Basically the GPU and CPU sit at about 50% utilization max, and I get about 40 - 50 fps in cities with everything on Ultra.

I run a 120hz monitor too, so my ideal frame rate is 120.

Here is my setup:

Intel core i7 @4.6ghz
    2x SSD in Raid 0
    8gb DDR3 1600
    ASUS P8Z68-V Pro

My graphics card is connected to my monitor through dual link DVI cable.

Basically, my computer is a monster and I can get 120fps in pretty much every modern came at 1920x1080 @ 120hz.

I have attached my dxdiag (it doesn't show my actual CPU clock speed of 4.6ghz.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
  • FlatFeet
    FlatFeet
    ✭✭✭
    Just to follow up, the only time my GPU runs at over 50 - 60% utilization is on the character select screen, if that helps at all.
  • Remorseless
    Remorseless
    ✭✭✭
    Old systems, time to upgrade.
    Edited by ZOS_JuhoJ on April 5, 2014 3:26AM
    Vice

Love Palace
  • WylieCoyote1511
    WylieCoyote1511
    ✭✭✭

Mine isn't old thank you very much!

• jdkorreckpreub18_ESO
    It's an obvious question, but I assume those with problems have double checked that they have the most recent drivers?

Now I do remember that some other games seem to have an issue with some of the gtx cards with some environmental details.

Just found it. It was the gtx560's that had problems in this case with Neverwinter. So not likely to be the same issue.
    Edited by jdkorreckpreub18_ESO on April 5, 2014 10:56AM
  • WylieCoyote1511
    WylieCoyote1511
    ✭✭✭
    Yes all drivers up to date and ESO is the only game I have not using full CPU or GPU.
  • altec812
    altec812
    I would report it to Nvidia as a possible issue. I am running a 560ti with everything on high, AA and ambient inclusion and I hover at 48-55fps.
  • WylieCoyote1511
    WylieCoyote1511
    ✭✭✭
    altec812 wrote: »
    I would report it to Nvidia as a possible issue. I am running a 560ti with everything on high, AA and ambient inclusion and I hover at 48-55fps.

Even in the built up areas with lots of players?
  • antonyfrnb16_ESO
    try using Display Driver Uninstaller to clean out your drivers and reinstall the latest's ones fresh.

DDU Download
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379506
  • Taaltos
    Taaltos
    ✭✭
    try using Display Driver Uninstaller to clean out your drivers and reinstall the latest's ones fresh.

DDU Download

Beat me to it.
  • altec812
    altec812

Yes. I may dip a little lower in the 40s for a few seconds but I still hover back towards the mean.
  • altec812
    altec812

Wide open outside areas with the slightest fog, smoke, intense lighting with a lot of people are the times I see a noticeable FPS dip, however not enough to create any notice or stutter. I only know it by staring at the FPS
  • hotcoffeeburns

Reading comprehension, you're bad at it! When a Radeon 4890 runs the game better in the same machine as a 760, that is the problem, not needing a new system.

I should also mention that my daughter's PC, which has an i3 and a 4890 ran it better than the system with a 760 as well.

Also, I did do all the typical driver things with the remover, etc.
  • Signex
    Signex
    ✭✭
    Running with a i7 4770k+R9 290, alot of dps drops to 30s too.
  • Nicor
    Nicor
    Seems to happening on a variety of different hardware. Not sure if I would chalk it up to a video card problem. I'm running an i5-2500k, GTX680, and 8gigs of RAM. Using windows 7-64bit. My fps never really dips lower than 54fps. The only thing I see in common with all you guys posting specs is that you all run windows 8.1.
    Anyone on windows 7 having this issue?
  • Desperado558_ESO
    Desperado558_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm running win7 and having similar issues. A friend using a GTX760 from EVGA(superclocked) has superb fps, rarely ever dropping below 60 save for massive siege warfare in Cyrodiil where it sometimes will dip down to around 30-40.

I however, while in say a city, rarely ever go above 30 fps, usually sitting around 22, and in the wilds I sit around 30-50fps.

My specs:
    Win7 x64 Home Premium
    Zotac GTX760 AMP! Edition (Overclocked stable at 1150MHz core/6880MHz memory)
    16GB Corsair Vengenace 1600MHz RAM
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition (automatically clocked to 3.68GHz by Asus BIOS)
    120GB Samsung EVO SSD(Game/OS installed here)
    2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD(Nothing related to this game is located here)

Below is my attached DxDiag. Any help would be appreciated, I can't seem to figure out what is the issue here at all. I run Nvidia GeForce Experience so my drivers on my video card should always be up to date.

**EDIT** I should mention, I am currently running a dual monitor setup, both being 1920x1080 identical monitors and hooked up with DVI-D cables. I have attempted disabling and unplugging my second monitor to see if it would help, but it doesn't at all.

I have also tried disabling my overclock of both my GPU and CPU, as well as overclocking them to their highest stable amounts, and saw little to no difference in FPS at all. Monitoring my GPU, I see that i rarely ever uses the entirety of its resources, and the same goes for my CPU. My GPU is capable of around 1190MHz core load, and it averages around 960MHz while playing. If any more information is needed I'll try to answer it as soon as possible, as I would really like to get some help with this issue. Thanks in advance.
    Edited by Desperado558_ESO on April 7, 2014 10:26AM
  • Socratic
    Socratic
    ✭✭✭
    I'm running win7 and having similar issues. A friend using a GTX760 from EVGA(superclocked) has superb fps, rarely ever dropping below 60 save for massive siege warfare in Cyrodiil where it sometimes will dip down to around 30-40.

I however, while in say a city, rarely ever go above 30 fps, usually sitting around 22, and in the wilds I sit around 30-50fps.

My specs:
    Win7 x64 Home Premium
    Zotac GTX760 AMP! Edition (Overclocked stable at 1150MHz core/6880MHz memory)
    16GB Corsair Vengenace 1600MHz RAM
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition (automatically clocked to 3.68GHz by Asus BIOS)
    120GB Samsung EVO SSD(Game/OS installed here)
    2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD(Nothing related to this game is located here)

Below is my attached DxDiag. Any help would be appreciated, I can't seem to figure out what is the issue here at all. I run Nvidia GeForce Experience so my drivers on my video card should always be up to date.
    Maybe he's got settings lower, AA off, view distance at 10 or something.
  • Desperado558_ESO
    Desperado558_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Socratic wrote: »
    Maybe he's got settings lower, AA off, view distance at 10 or something.

Sorry, I completely failed to mention what settings he/I was running at. He runs at full ultra(shadows off), with a view distance of 60. While I do prefer to play on absolutely maxed settings, I prefer even more so to have stable fps, so I changed my settings to his exact settings as well, only to have my fps to go up approximately 5-10. I was able to maintain around 30fps in city, and 60 out of city.

I then decided to change my settings to absolute minimum(view distance included) and my fps in city remained around 40. I know for a fact the GTX760 is capable of far better then that, considering his character was right next to me and he was getting a solid 60fps. I also have absolutely no problem in other more intensive games, including a heavily modded 2/4k resolution + ENB skyrim.

The thing that worries me the most is that my card simply is not being used to its fullest potential for whatever reason. I'd expect to see my cards core speed consistently at 1189MHz as it runs at with most other intensive games, but for some reason its running almost 230MHz slower, despite my choppy fps.
  • Desperado558_ESO
    Desperado558_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm now fairly confident that its little more than a driver issue. I decided to go ahead and install the latest beta version of the Nvidia driver for the 700 series (337.50) and I seem to have gotten an average of around 10-15 fps gains in city, and about the same outside of cities.

Before this I was running the latest recommended driver on their site(335.23) which was released on March 10th. The beta driver was released seemingly within the past 24 hours.

When installing I did it in my usual manner of running DDU, mentioned here:

DDU Download

And then installing the drivers. Should you choose to run this program, keep in mind that it is recommended you do it in Safe Mode and that you create a system restore point before hand.

After installing the newest beta drivers though, my fps has gone up noticeably. I would expect greater improvements as time goes on if it is just a driver issue.

I will try to get the driver version that my friend is currently using as well, and try that out to see if I see any difference, however he is currently taking care of an emergency and may be gone for over a day.

If anyone else having this issue is willing to try out the beta driver and see if it helps them as well it would be appreciated as it would help narrow down the possibility of other issues. To find the latest beta driver for Nvidia, the follow the link below and ensure the 'recommended/beta' drop-down box is set to 'Beta'

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx

**EDIT** I should also mention that the game is now utilizing my GPU considerably more then it was previously, and very close to reaching its peak core speed.
    Edited by Desperado558_ESO on April 7, 2014 11:09AM
  • WylieCoyote1511
    WylieCoyote1511
    ✭✭✭
    I'm now fairly confident that its little more than a driver issue. I decided to go ahead and install the latest beta version of the Nvidia driver for the 700 series (337.50) and I seem to have gotten an average of around 10-15 fps gains in city, and about the same outside of cities.

Before this I was running the latest recommended driver on their site(335.23) which was released on March 10th. The beta driver was released seemingly within the past 24 hours.

DDU Download

And then installing the drivers. Should you choose to run this program, keep in mind that it is recommended you do it in Safe Mode and that you create a system restore point before hand.

After installing the newest beta drivers though, my fps has gone up noticeably. I would expect greater improvements as time goes on if it is just a driver issue.

I will try to get the driver version that my friend is currently using as well, and try that out to see if I see any difference, however he is currently taking care of an emergency and may be gone for over a day.

If anyone else having this issue is willing to try out the beta driver and see if it helps them as well it would be appreciated as it would help narrow down the possibility of other issues. To find the latest beta driver for Nvidia, the follow the link below and ensure the 'recommended/beta' drop-down box is set to 'Beta'

**EDIT** I should also mention that the game is now utilizing my GPU considerably more then it was previously, and very close to reaching its peak core speed.

No 600 series beta driver :(

• Desperado558_ESO
    Desperado558_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No 600 series beta driver :(
    Check the 'Supported Products' on this link: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/74636/en-us

If you're running a mobile (600M) card, check here: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/74637/en-us

The beta driver should be for pretty much all modern cards. If your card is on the list you should be okay to install it. (Personally I chose to not install the GeForce Experience as it has caused me issues in the past, but that is up to you. You can disable that by selecting custom installation while installing)

Edited by Desperado558_ESO on April 7, 2014 1:57PM
  • kaptainkush64

DDU Download

What about amd? I have an AMD Radeon 8650g, ran fine before friday.
  • Desperado558_ESO
    Desperado558_ESO
    ✭✭✭

What about amd? I have an AMD Radeon 8650g, ran fine before friday.

I can't really give you an educated answer about AMD video cards, as the last time I used one was 2002. However, if the issue suddenly began despite it running well before (during the release/early release) it may be possible that if you have auto driver updates on, the new driver could be causing the issue. If you do have auto updates on for drivers, and it updated on or around Friday, it may be worth reverting to the previous version to try it out.

Other then that, I can't really offer any advice.
  • Nicor
    Nicor
    Its not affecting my 600 series card. So my assumption, which could be totally wrong. Is that this issue is only with 700 series drivers. I run this game maxed out. High/ultra and all sliders up without any issue. Far as the AMD guys go though from what i'm told AMD releases driver less freqently than nvidia. AMD guys might just have to wait it out.