The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bank Account Being Charged?

• TirielsWhisper
    TirielsWhisper
    ✭✭✭
    Elvikun wrote: »
    Which is exactly why I say focus on the amount that gets blocked on you bank account for a little while, rather than "My time started running out today, I'm suing you unless it's resolved in 13 seconds!".

And then the dramatic part - they ARE robbing you? Really? Well maybe you should press charges then... Unless they actually aren't robbing you and are doing the most common thing out there when it comes to sub-based services of any kind.
    And this ties to what I said already, this is absolutely normal, noone should complain about that, the suprising part is that the amount you get billed and returned is not 1USD/EUR, as it should be.
    But reading this topic, this important and really only relevant part gets completely lost in all the drama, chaos and panic.

A lot of people live paycheck to paycheck. You may not be familiar with this concept - and if so, lucky you! But a lot (probably even "most") do live from paycheck to paycheck. This means planning out your expenditures to the penny if you don't want to end up with overdraft fees (bounced checks anyone?) and the like.

The problem with what Zenimax is doing is that someone may have planned out their money assuming that Zenimax would charge only $1 or nothing at all (since...basically no one charges more than $1, I literally have never seen a gaming company do this), but now they are having $15 held on their account. And, sure, it's going to fall off in a few days.

But in those few days, other things are going to try to clear. Checks may bounce. When overdraft fees are something like $35+ each, and you have an unexpected hold you can't get off that account, that's a problem. It's a problem that adds up to a serious, SERIOUS issue very quickly. Zenimax should have told people up front that the hold would be placed on their account, and made it 100% explicitly clear how much would be on hold and for how long.

Or else they should pay the overdraft fees.

But we all know that won't happen.

This is so incredibly unprofessional and abusive I just. I don't even. I pay $80, being told I get a free 30, and instead I get overdraft charges. \o/
  • ItsGlaive
    ItsGlaive
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhoric wrote: »
    All sub based games require you to enter a subscription plan prior to receiving your free 30 days. You will only be charged when your 30 free days is about to expire

Actually this isn't true. SWTOR, TERA and TSW all allowed you to use your gametime before setting up a payment option.
    Allow cross-platform transfers and merges
  • Flametyn
    Flametyn
    ✭✭✭
    Xabien wrote: »
    Rhoric wrote: »
    All sub based games require you to enter a subscription plan prior to receiving your free 30 days. You will only be charged when your 30 free days is about to expire

Actually this isn't true. SWTOR, TERA and TSW all allowed you to use your gametime before setting up a payment option.

I remember like that too...

• Paske
    Paske
    ✭✭✭✭
    s2firestar wrote: »
    And what will happen if we don't pay up? We lose our 30 days?

You cant activate game you allready bought and payed for.

Fun isnt it. You buy the game but cant redeem CD key.
    Good business practice.

Bugs and launch issues I can understand, this I can not.
  • Profano
    Profano
    FIX THIS ASAP please, the *** is coming. This is absolutely a mistake. I had a charge in my bank account, and lose the 48 hours bonus too ... come on.
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valwardon wrote: »
    Taaltos wrote: »
    Still not sure why everyone thinks they're paying a full sub. You aren't, it's a 'funds' check. AM/PM(the gas station) checks for 100.00 in your account, if you don't have it, you can't pump gas.

Paypal does it. Checks for under a dollar.

Are you guys new to MMO's or something?

Because they implicitly indicate your card will not be charged, they don't make any mention of a hold, or a pre-auth, and most companies that do charge pre-auths or card checks only charge $1. They're pre-authing the entire sub fee here, and with it being a Thursday, most people will not see this charge fall off their account until at least tuesday. That's up to $80 to be without for 5 days at least. That's why this is a big deal.

80 is not a big deal it is really the principle. This is why people are mad. It can be 5.00 or 10.00 does not matter it is all the same thing. I do not care how much is sitting in my bank. If you take it without telling me and without me saying okay you can take xyz amount at such time then you are violating my trust and in some areas of the world you are violating the law.

I think you are missing something with the $80 being no big deal.

Sure if you have a credit card with available credit, this is no big deal at all but many people use debit cards, would work out their finances, have $80 spare when they get paid in 2 weeks time, and decide to use that as their sub, they sign up, it says £0.00 but actually takes $80 straight out of their bank causing their bank accounts go overdrawn and they get bank charges.

• s2firestar
    s2firestar
    ✭✭
    If the grace period was to be extended to 15 or 30 days, all would be solved. I think. Hell, then they didn't have to 'test' my acc, I'd pay the next 30 days there and then.
    Edited by s2firestar on April 4, 2014 8:21AM
  • gwessingrwb17_ESO
    There is going to be a lot of people that do not know that they will be authorising the full subscription amount to be held on their bank account and are going to be surprised when things go pear shaped.
  • Signex
    Signex
    ✭✭
    Just ask a friend or something that has a paypal account, that's how i'm gonna do it.
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quidel wrote: »
    xDevlinx21 wrote: »
    Thannik wrote: »
    People really do complain about anything and everything. ZOS, you guys are doing a great job bringing a single player franchise to the MMO world, and great job on your first ever MMO.

This game reminds me a lot of Asheron's Call. A game that i've been paying $14.95/month off and on since 1998 (okay, it was 9.99/month back then). I bring this up as a point, that's also another subscription MMO which requires payment authorizations before playing your first 30 days. And it's one of the oldest! Not every company does it the WoW way (to whom referenced "the biggest MMO out there", for better or for worst.

Don't let the chorus of QQ bring you down. Just remember all the positive people are too busy playing. - or patiently waiting for the game to patch. :)

You're an idiot. Not everyone can afford to pay the full amount of a sub. I can afford to, but I didn't want to until my next payday when I have less bills to pay.
    Grow some common sense dude.

Your calling him an idiot, it says it when you buy it. be it Digital or hard copy.

PRODUCT DETAILS
    30 days of game time included
    Subscription and account for The Elder Scrolls Online required
    A persistent internet connection is required to play

they told you before you bought it.

I disagree.

The wording implies to the vast majority of people that the game has a monthly subscription so don't think you simply buy this game and can play forever, it comes with the first 30 days included and to continue to play after that time a subscription is required.
  • TirielsWhisper
    TirielsWhisper
    ✭✭✭
    Signex wrote: »
    Just ask a friend or something that has a paypal account, that's how i'm gonna do it.

Do you realize that in that situation, they're actually going to charge the full amount?

• Alexium
    Alexium
    ✭✭✭
    My payment are still in "Hold" status. I think, what this is a really temporal charge, but also is a uncommon situation with money amount.
  • horizon011b14_ESO
    has anyone had success talking to support yet ??

Im still in the process of talking with them.. They are now redirecting me 2 billing but they havent suggested they would fix but simply look into the matter..

• Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loxy37 wrote: »
    I am rather upset though that my time is ticking down and I haven't got the 2 days grace period added. I'm sure it will be fixed.

Unfortunately what they are saying is that you now don't have to take a sub out until Sunday, but the second you take one out, your time starts counting down.

They could not have made it more confusing and I posted on a thread soon after the announcement what was very obviously likely to happen, which is what you have done along with many other people.

It was such an easy mess for them to avoid and that is what worries me most at the moment, someone there seems pretty clueless about how to inform their customers easily and clearly.

Many people presumed with Zenimaxs message about entering codes that that only applied to retail versions and if you ordered direct, you would automatically start counting down from Sunday.

They could have simply said

"to compensate those players still waiting for their retail codes and to give early access a few extra days, please don not set up your subscriptions until Sunday as we have allowed the game to be played without one for an extra couple of days.

Note, as soon as you take out a subscription your 30 days start counting down"

It really isn't rocket science.

• Jirki88
    Jirki88
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I wont have a problem with funds when I go activating (after these added 2 days are up), but I can empathize with everyone that isn't in such a good economic situation, and this is just a pure *** move by ZeniMax.
    It's one thing that you have to add a cc... it's one thing that you have to validate it... it's a completely other thing to freeze a sum between $13-80 on the account to do so. EDIT: Or for that matter, require someone to redeem a game card already now if that's their method of 'subscription'.

And ZeniMax complete and utter silence on the matter in this thread is neither encouraging nor impressive. It's like they want a PR disaster on their hands. And that right on launch... Because there's no way better to *** people off than messing with their money, and even those who have money to not be affected by this asswipe move get pissed off due to the principle of it.
    Edited by Jirki88 on April 4, 2014 8:40AM
    Veritas et aequitas, et usque ad mortem.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So how am i going to play after sunday, i paid $90 AU on this and i still cannot play, it says on the packaging "30 days free game time included"

What the hell, how much money do they want to steal from us? now i need to go back to the Store and pay $30 AU to even use the infernal game, better just to take it back for a full refund imo..

And no no other Paid subscription game has ever pulled this garbage on me, the last was Final Fantasy 14 and it never had this idiocy attached to it.
  • MichaelD
    MichaelD
    This is terrible, not that they need to charge, but because they need to charge the whole amount... I certainly don't have the money now so what is going to happen?
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NO WHERE ON MY PACKAGING DOES IT SAY YOU NEED A CREDIT CARD ON TIME OF CREATION...

You guys are a joke i tell you
  • R1ckyDaMan
    R1ckyDaMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not only that they want the full amount in my bank, but the only option available for paypal is a recurring subscription...

You guys need to update you're knowledge base BTW..
    Edited by R1ckyDaMan on April 4, 2014 8:43AM
  • Flametyn
    Flametyn
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that is pissing me off is that after 7 full pages of post we ain't getting any official answer, for that i will ask a refound even if they fix this, i don't trust them anymore...
  • Jirki88
    Jirki88
    ✭✭✭
    MichaelD wrote: »
    This is terrible, not that they need to charge, but because they need to charge the whole amount... I certainly don't have the money now so what is going to happen?

I'll try to interpret their silence as to what's going to happen...

They're gonna tell you to bend over and you will run away screaming.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jirki88 wrote: »

No i'll take their game back to the shop.
  • Jirki88
    Jirki88
    ✭✭✭
    DanteYoda wrote: »
    Jirki88 wrote: »

No i'll take their game back to the shop.

That's what I meant by "run away screaming"! You run screaming of rage to shop to get a refund to get away from them!
  • shakti82eb17_ESO
    Seems to be i will ask for refund if they did not fix it untill sunday
    Edited by shakti82eb17_ESO on April 4, 2014 8:50AM
  • Seras
    Seras
    So... I pay the already scalped $120 Australian for the joy of buying the digital Imperial Edition directly from the ESO website, pay via Paypal... but now I apparently need to 'validate' the same Paypal account again by paying a full $15 fee up front.
    Yeah. That makes sense. /sarcasm

You can set up a billing agreement with paypal, or charge $1 to a credit card. You DON'T charge someone a full months game time just to 'verify' their account.
  • Flametyn
    Flametyn
    ✭✭✭
    i'm going to watch the last hell's kitchen episode, why they don't learn 12 seasons and still ppl watching it. Why? Gordon Ramsey does perform as you are waiting he will...
  • BorgaXxX
    BorgaXxX
    This is just ridiculous . I have nothing to say. May be i will play this game for 1 month until my free game time expires . Then i'll start WoW atleast they are userfriendly
  • CandyNJ
    CandyNJ
    It's a shame Zenimax did it this way. Personally, I had plenty left on my card,so wasn't worried about the $14.99 but, I do feel sorry for those who were left with no money after spending $60-80. Zenimax in my opinion, should have allowed 14 days and THEN asked people to submit for subscriptions.
  • zlambit
    zlambit
    Soul Shriven
    Nope not gonna pay for my 30 free days, even if it is only temporary as they claim
  • ShiBu
    ShiBu
    ✭✭✭
    Bethesda’s Global VP of Marketing and PR, , Pete Hines

“If you don’t like the game, of course you’re not subscribing to it,” says Hines. “You get the game, you get your first month without having to pay for a subscription to see ‘is this thing a thing I like’? If your approach that you want to take is that, for example, you love Skyrim, you played it for 125 hours, but after three or four weeks you were done, then you can do the exact same thing in Elder Scrolls Online.”

http://games.on.net/2014/04/elder-scrolls-online-pete-hines-says-sub-model-only-fails-if-youre-not-getting-your-moneys-worth/

just as information.