Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bank Account Being Charged?

• Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How long does it take this pending transaction to clear off? Mine's been over an hour now.
  • Lavatory2b16_ESO
    What they've done is screwed me out of playing for a month, and wasted my money on buying it in the 1st place.
  • wllstrt75b14_ESO
    wllstrt75b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Thannik wrote: »
    People really do complain about anything and everything. ZOS, you guys are doing a great job bringing a single player franchise to the MMO world, and great job on your first ever MMO.

This game reminds me a lot of Asheron's Call. A game that i've been paying $14.95/month off and on since 1998 (okay, it was 9.99/month back then). I bring this up as a point, that's also another subscription MMO which requires payment authorizations before playing your first 30 days. And it's one of the oldest! Not every company does it the WoW way (to whom referenced "the biggest MMO out there", for better or for worst.

Don't let the chorus of QQ bring you down. Just remember all the positive people are too busy playing. - or patiently waiting for the game to patch. :)

Blind fanboy alert!

Dude, First if you ever checked out their website they claim they are the greatest mmo team ever using the words "world class!"

Second they don't post anywhere on their website that this is their first rodeo. And I am talking about Zenimax.

They are in the select few who a) decide to hold money and then hold the full amount for verification.

It shows how green they are and coupled with their *** poor response time, their repeated automated responses to multiple issues on their support line coupled with their huge job openings tells me they are very disorganized and not very proactive.

Basically I question the companies ability to strategically think out business decisions.

Now because I like the game I am willing to overlook this crap and hope they get better before I get bored of the game or they ware out my patience.
    Edited by wllstrt75b14_ESO on April 4, 2014 1:51AM
  • Bansheedragon
    Bansheedragon
    ✭✭✭
    How long does it take this pending transaction to clear off? Mine's been over an hour now.

I would say it depends on the card or bank used.
    I use Paypal tied to my bank account, and it usually takes 3-5 days(thats not counting weekends) for a payment hold like this to be cleared again.

I have a significant amount of expenses coming up i the next week and cannot afford this kid of expense right now.
    My budget for this month is very tight and I have just enough to handle my expenses until I get paid again, I cannot afford this now.
  • Kiwi
    Kiwi
    ✭✭✭✭
    this is unacceptable
    A large yellow rectangle

• Christophetes
    Christophetes
    ✭✭✭

Anywhere from one to 30 business days, depending on your card provider and the merchant.

Edited by Christophetes on April 4, 2014 2:08AM
  • Christophetes
    Christophetes
    ✭✭✭
    I even tried using PayPal as a payment method, as PayPal does $0 authorizations all the time (Crunchyroll, Netflix, etc.) but ZeniMax tries to straight-up BILL me when using PayPal.
  • zbcole
    zbcole
    ✭✭✭
    Acceptable or unacceptable. I am still waiting for a game announcement for any game in any genre where the community as a whole doesn't bring out their pitch forks and head out to stomp a troll in the ground.

Guys, this is not Zenimax Online doing it, it is their merchant who is doing it.

And first and foremost, this game is of the international sort. There are a number of banks that will deny transactions as potential fraud if the destination purchase is in another country. So some merchants require this. Some gas stations will do this and you never know it.

I haven't seen anything indicating that they are reserving the full subscription fee. Only that you may see an initial transaction. Most processes that operate in this way do reserve .01 or 1.00 for the reservation.

What would be helpful is if Zenimax would indicate the actual amount of the reservation to take the guess work out on players. 99% of you having problems with this go away if the amount is .01 or 1.00.
  • Christophetes
    Christophetes
    ✭✭✭
    zbcole wrote: »
    I haven't seen anything indicating that they are reserving the full subscription fee. Only that you may see an initial transaction. Most processes that operate in this way do reserve .01 or 1.00 for the reservation.

What would be helpful is if Zenimax would indicate the actual amount of the reservation to take the guess work out on players. 99% of you having problems with this go away if the amount is .01 or 1.00.

They ARE reserving the full amount, because if it were only $1.00, my card would authorize just fine.
  • zbcole
    zbcole
    ✭✭✭
    Someone dropped the ball the on Zen's part then with their merchant deal. Reserving an extensive amount of funds for an extended amount of time is not a reservation, it's a loan.
  • Felarrond
    Felarrond
    ✭✭✭
    Acceptable or unacceptable. I am still waiting for a game announcement for any game in any genre where the community as a whole doesn't bring out their pitch forks and head out to stomp a troll in the ground.

Guys, this is not Zenimax Online doing it, it is their merchant who is doing it.

And first and foremost, this game is of the international sort. There are a number of banks that will deny transactions as potential fraud if the destination purchase is in another country. So some merchants require this. Some gas stations will do this and you never know it.

If they only charged the standard card verification hold of $1 it wouldn't be an issue at all, they reserve the ENTIRE amount of your subscription, which can be almost $80 if you go with the 6 month sub. That's why the pitchforks have come out. They don't indicate they'll reserve anything, they state the purchase is 0.00, and then hold the entire amount. This will really hurt someone that hasn't paid their rent or something like that, or has an emergency expense come up in the next week that it'll take a large amount of banks to see the hold fall off and then reimburse any overdraft fees.
  • whitefoxmuscogeeub17_ESO
    Feeling extremely cheated by this whole release. I've been understanding and accepting of 95% of the issues that I've hit so far but the closer release day comes the more this feels like a "Lets make a lot of money really fast and see who sticks around after" more than a game made for people to actually enjoy. I'm a long time Elder scrolls fan AND an MMO player. This game is NOT living up to the expectations and promises that ZENIMAX has put out for us and yet they want you to pay a second time for your first month? WTH Zenimax... If your gonna keep this up I want a refund
  • MRizk21
    MRizk21
    ✭✭✭
    Thralgaf wrote: »
    Guys, I work as a store manager for a big box retailer. They have to do this to protect you and them from fraud.

Again I did not buy the game from them so they do not have to protect themselves from anything as they are not even in question as they are not the one who processed my payment. I got my game from a retailer who should be responsible about this.
  • Felarrond
    Felarrond
    ✭✭✭
    Then there's this as well:

Game Time Remaining
    You have 29 days of game time remaining.

What happened to a.> Release is TOMORROW so it should be 30, PLUS they said early access people get 2 more free days.

Lots of shady stuff going on here!
  • zbcole
    zbcole
    ✭✭✭
    MRizk21 wrote: »
    Guys, I work as a store manager for a big box retailer. They have to do this to protect you and them from fraud.

Again I did not buy the game from them so they do not have to protect themselves from anything as they are not even in question as they are not the one who processed my payment. I got my game from a retailer who should be responsible about this.
    Unfortunately, the fraud they are worried about has nothing to do with the purchase of the game, but the subscription service you are signing up for - they are not the same thing.
  • MRizk21
    MRizk21
    ✭✭✭
    Thannik wrote: »
    People really do complain about anything and everything. ZOS, you guys are doing a great job bringing a single player franchise to the MMO world, and great job on your first ever MMO.

This game reminds me a lot of Asheron's Call. A game that i've been paying $14.95/month off and on since 1998 (okay, it was 9.99/month back then). I bring this up as a point, that's also another subscription MMO which requires payment authorizations before playing your first 30 days. And it's one of the oldest! Not every company does it the WoW way (to whom referenced "the biggest MMO out there", for better or for worst.

Don't let the chorus of QQ bring you down. Just remember all the positive people are too busy playing. - or patiently waiting for the game to patch. :)

Blind fanboy alert!

Dude, First if you ever checked out their website they claim they are the greatest mmo team ever using the words "world class!"

Second they don't post anywhere on their website that this is their first rodeo. And I am talking about Zenimax.

They are in the select few who a) decide to hold money and then hold the full amount for verification.

It shows how green they are and coupled with their *** poor response time, their repeated automated responses to multiple issues on their support line coupled with their huge job openings tells me they are very disorganized and not very proactive.

Basically I question the companies ability to strategically think out business decisions.

Now because I like the game I am willing to overlook this crap and hope they get better before I get bored of the game or they ware out my patience.

That exactly what I had in mind, that exactly what I was telling my friend over the phone as I express how angry I am of his comment. I just would have never said it any better than you did! THANKS!
  • zbcole
    zbcole
    ✭✭✭

If they only charged the standard card verification hold of $1 it wouldn't be an issue at all, they reserve the ENTIRE amount of your subscription, which can be almost $80 if you go with the 6 month sub. That's why the pitchforks have come out. They don't indicate they'll reserve anything, they state the purchase is 0.00, and then hold the entire amount. This will really hurt someone that hasn't paid their rent or something like that, or has an emergency expense come up in the next week that it'll take a large amount of banks to see the hold fall off and then reimburse any overdraft fees.

This speaks to Zenimax. They want the long-term subscriptions because it gives them more upfront cash flow. Their decision on this will hurt that no doubt.

• Felarrond
    Felarrond
    ✭✭✭

Unfortunately, the fraud they are worried about has nothing to do with the purchase of the game, but the subscription service you are signing up for - they are not the same thing.

Unfortunately the only fraud being perpetrated here is the fact that they NEVER indicate they are putting a pre-auth on your account when you sign up for subscription, nor does the receiept email state they charged you a pre-auth, in fact both state:

When your account runs out of Game Time, you will be automatically billed $77.94 + applicable taxes for another 180 days of game time. We will charge your payment method

And then they charge you a pre-auth. I sense a lot of charge-backs and refund demands coming Zenimax's way.
  • MRizk21
    MRizk21
    ✭✭✭
    Then there's this as well:

Game Time Remaining
    You have 29 days of game time remaining.

What happened to a.> Release is TOMORROW so it should be 30, PLUS they said early access people get 2 more free days.

Lots of shady stuff going on here!

They did not see that coming, or see anything coming. They are blind rookies who just joined the gaming business. They will probably fix it by tomorrow and reset the game time but again they never think what could happen if they do that, or that. They are really short visioned, their marketing team apparently is the worst on earth.

Elder Scrolls series is the best, ESO has a good chance, but their newbie legal, PR and marketing team are just SO BAD!
  • MRizk21
    MRizk21
    ✭✭✭

The time they asked for a pre-authorization I still did not start any subscription. I still had a valid 30 days in my account.

Anyways I am not against the pre-authorization, I am against the value charged. 1$ or 1 cent would have authorized my card, some businesses as Apple and PayPal authorize for 1$ and never refund you and sometimes we are ok with that, but taking the full amount is a dirty move even if you are going to get it back in minutes.

For those who will use a prepaid game time, it's the dirtiest move ever of course as they will be paying in advance now.
  • zbcole
    zbcole
    ✭✭✭
    You realize their newbie legal, PR and Marketing team do nothing in the realm of this? Why are they newbs exactly-that entire team is reactive to business decisions - they aren't the ones making the decision.

I agree, bad decision, Zen will get hurt from it - more by the nature that people will go 1 month vs longer.

But some of the ranting here is a bit of throwing the baby out with the bath water.
  • whitefoxmuscogeeub17_ESO
    Allonsy wrote: »
    I will have two copies of the game, being played on two different computers by two different people in the same household. This means, according to the original post, that my card will be charged twice for the FULL amount, even though I am entitled to 30 days each just for buying the game. I find this COMPLETELY unacceptable! WoW certainly never asks for card or payment info when you buy any of their games. If this is going to be the practice, I will gladly refuse my pre-orders of this game and go back to playing WoW. SMH.

Same here. This feels more and more like a money grab and less and less like an actual attempt at a game. The failure to respond to ANY of this by Zenimax further proves that their answer to anything that scares or threatens them is IGNORE IT ALL. Talk about having your head in the sand.

• Felarrond
    Felarrond
    ✭✭✭
    You realize their newbie legal, PR and Marketing team do nothing in the realm of this? Why are they newbs exactly-that entire team is reactive to business decisions - they aren't the ones making the decision.

I agree, bad decision, Zen will get hurt from it - more by the nature that people will go 1 month vs longer.

But some of the ranting here is a bit of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

If you get charged an overdraft or insufficient funds fee for this, or get charged a late fee because you no longer have the money to pay your utilities et cetera, would you then consider this throwing the baby out with the bath water?
  • ebunts14_ESO
    ebunts14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    First, all sub based games, even those that went free to play had required a valid payment method. They are not checking to see if you have enough to pay the subscription but to see if the credit card or other payment method is valid. In other words you are not trying to use a expired payment method such as a debit or credit card on a closed account.

Second, game that begin to offer free trials will relax the payment checks
  • merfpmerfinton
    merfpmerfinton
    ✭✭✭
    Just curious as to why subs and cc verification weren't needed for the 3-5 day early access, but are needed for the free 30 day that's included with purchase? There is no disclaimer stating that valid payment method must be provided before the initial 30 days are given. The initial 30 days are included in the cost of the game and purchasing the game is the verification.
  • Felarrond
    Felarrond
    ✭✭✭
    First, all sub based games, even those that went free to play had required a valid payment method. They are not checking to see if you have enough to pay the subscription but to see if the credit card or other payment method is valid. In other words you are not trying to use a expired payment method such as a debit or credit card on a closed account.

Second, game that begin to offer free trials will relax the payment checks

But they DID reserve the full amount, that's why people are upset.
  • Felarrond
    Felarrond
    ✭✭✭
    sorry double post.
    Edited by Felarrond on April 4, 2014 2:48AM
  • Flametyn
    Flametyn
    ✭✭✭
    They are giving me automatic nosense answer from the support...
    wtf is going on? They just want our money asap to get worst and worst
  • zbcole
    zbcole
    ✭✭✭

If you get charged an overdraft or insufficient funds fee for this, or get charged a late fee because you no longer have the money to pay your utilities et cetera, would you then consider this throwing the baby out with the bath water?

Look, I came from a single-parent household. I've put myself through college. I've lived paycheck to paycheck, and been in situations where I was HAVING to spend money I didn't yet have.

So I certainly sympathize with those of lesser fortunes.

BUT- I can assure you, in those days - I was not concerned of bouncing checks etc because of an online game subscription. I worked longer hours in college to actually pay for EQ. If I didn't have the money - I didn't play the game.

People are upset about this because they want to play the game. I get it. The passion is a good thing for the ESO franchise.

Zen's decision here was a bad one in managing their expectations with their merchant handler.

BUT - Zenimax also may have been blindsided by that decision. I would imagine had they known about this, they would have coded it upfront to be more forthcoming to those signing up already.

Imagine the level of support calls, complaints and general bad PR this decision is worth. I don't think Zenimax would have knowingly gone into this situation, and handled it this poorly.

Companies are put in a bad situation all the time because of other companies.

1) Zen's merchant provider is not going to waive or change this part of the process.
    1a) This process will hurt Zen financially

2) One does not simply get a new merchant provider and have it online in a day, let alone hours.

I feel pretty certain this process will change. Zen's easiest fix is to waive the account setup for the first 30 days of the game. This buys them time to fix the problem. And I agree this is a problem - just not the magnitude its been made out to be.

• Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Anywhere from one to 30 business days, depending on your card provider and the merchant.

Ok that's fine. I never have pending transactions like this and someone said theirs was cleared within 20 minutes.

I have more than enough to cover it so that's not my concern.