The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

[Craft] Leapfrog Leveling System

Rebelweasel
Rebelweasel
✭✭✭✭
Hi everyone!
A team of Elder Moot members determined a workable way for 2 crafters to help each other level as quickly as possible for the three smith crafts, Blacksmithing, Clothier, and Woodworking. This is not the best and highest Inspiration Points (IP) you can earn in the game, but it is the second best and most convenient to work with. We also learned that each profession has one item in each Tier rank that gives the most IP earned per resource material used. So far, they are:

Blacksmith
  1. Iron = L6 daggers
  2. Steel = L16 daggers

Clothier
  1. Jute/Rawhide = L14 boots, hoods, gloves, hat, shoulders, or belt
  2. Flax/Hide = L16 boots, hoods, gloves, hat, shoulders, or belt

Woodworker
  1. Maple = L4 Bows
  2. Oak = L16

*Yes, level 14 for Clothier. We've pointed this discrepancy out in our feedback and received no answer. Someone, somewhere, really disliked Clothier :(

HOW IT WORKS
  • Each crafter creates a set of the recommended items.
  • They trade their items to each other.
  • They deconstruct the other person's crafted items.
  • Rinse, Repeat until you reach the second Tier level of your craft rank where you can spend a skill point in the next level material.
  • Now you make the next level recommended items, for example, they would be L16 daggers for the Tier 2 set of Blacksmithing.
  • And so on through all the tiers over time.

When you deconstruct a player-made item, you are earning 800% more IP than if you crafted and deconstructed something all by yourself. The system works as a sort of leapfrog game, where each crafter is jumping over each other to go forward as they level up through the tiers. The beauty of the system is that it's mutually beneficial, because you both craft items for each other, it's a clean fair swap of raw materials used to craft them. Naturally higher level crafters can also mentor low level crafters, perhaps the low level crafter can simply give the mats needed to the higher level crafter to create items to be deconstructed for leveling.

THE MATHS BEHIND IT ALL
Here is a viewable spreadsheet of our research: Smith IP Efficiency Curve

There are 4 major ways to earn IP, this is how they relate to each other for IP gain:
  1. [0% Lowest Amount Earned (LAE)] Deconstruct your own crafted item
  2. [+369% over LAE] Create an item
  3. [+800% over LAE] Deconstruct another player's created item
  4. [+1069% over LAE] Deconstruct a world drop green item

As you can see, the gain curve is pretty consistent. It's not been tested by our team but I think we can reasonably expect the trend to continue with a bonus IP gain of approximately 1200% for a blue drop, and 1400% for a purple drop, and so on. This curve has been tested across all three smith crafts and is consistent for all of them.

The best IP you can gain is to deconstruct world drop items of the highest level you can get. However, collecting enough of these to really power-level your crafter won't be viable, so the next-best solution is to deconstruct items made by another player (or an alt) for the 800% IP boost gain over the Lowest Amount Earned, which is what you deconstruct that you made yourself. This is why we created the Leapfrog Leveling system.

Each Craft has 1 Item that is Most Efficient for Leveling in each Tier
Crafting tiers for the smiths are based on the raw crafting material you use. Each material is available in combat-level appropriate zones that sort of match the levels of the gear you can make for that Craft Tier. For example, Tier 1 for Woodworker uses Maple, for item levels 1-14, and Tier 2 uses Oak for item levels 16-25 and so on.

In order to determine which item is most efficient, we determined the IP gain for items which use the least amount of materials, based on IP earned per material. Here is a sample of some of the blacksmithing IP gains
To craft, then deconstruct your own L1 dagger = 30.5 IP / ingot
To craft, swap, then deconstruct someone else's L1 dagger = 76 IP / ingot
To craft, then deconstruct your own L4 dagger = 40.66 IP / ingot
To craft, swap, then deconstruct someone else's L4 dagger = 99.66 IP / ingot

Many special thanks to @McLeod25, @Repus‌ , @decompiler‌ , @Mordraig‌ , and @steelpatch3050‌ for all their help in putting this together, as well as all of the Elder Moot guild for all the donations of materials and support in helping us to do this research! Another grateful mention to @Atalle, who saved our research post from the Void that was end of ESO Beta forums :)

zE9Qf05.png
Edited by Rebelweasel on April 2, 2014 4:59PM
Champion Cat-Herder for
Elder Moot Guild

• BzzmentDwllr
    BzzmentDwllr
    Soul Shriven
    You guys are awesome!
  • jammymacsterb16_ESO
    *Yes, level 14 for Clothier. We've pointed this discrepancy out in our feedback and received no answer. Someone, somewhere, really disliked Clotheir :(

In my opinion that's a good thing. Means less crafting stones needed to use up your materials. I would rather the most efficient for the others was 14 too.
  • Rebelweasel
    Rebelweasel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel that the reason is that Clothier has access to twice as many raw materials as the other crafts, therefore they could have leveled up twice as fast if they hadn't been gimped in the first Tier?
    Champion Cat-Herder for
    Elder Moot Guild

• WhiteQueen
    WhiteQueen
    ✭✭✭
    Schweet! Also, ugh, cloth. Level 14? URGH.

I feel I should mention that you get occasional "inspiration increasing" loot drops. I haven't run the numbers buuuut they do seem to give a real bump to deconstructing. Maybe constructing too.
  • McLeod25
    McLeod25
    I promote this post! For I am one helping Rebel in this adventure of numbers. We'll continue to update as we progress in tiers.

~Lorise (@Lorise in game)
  • McLeod25
    McLeod25
    @WhiteQueen Yes you get more inspiration from breaking these items. However, you can not make items with the inspiration trait (Intricate).
    Edited by McLeod25 on April 2, 2014 5:24PM
  • WhiteQueen
    WhiteQueen
    ✭✭✭
    @McLeod25 Oh, you don't? Okay. It just kind of seemed I did, tooltip info aside. Like I said though, I didn't run the numbers. I should do though, eventually. Once we can log back in. Eventually. Later. In the future. Sometime.

Hah, can you tell that this downtime is pissing me off? Hehehehe
  • Chuck_Dgrow
    That method is still current on the live server ? If im not mistaken, deconstructing your own item wasnt providing any XP toward next lvl from my BS sessions of yesterday
  • Rebelweasel
    Rebelweasel
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Chuck_Dgrow yes, @McLeod25‌ and I re-tested our numbers for T1 and T2 yesterday. That's why I didn't post this until today, actually :)

We're unlocking T3 and gathering materials to run the numbers for that level probably today or tomorrow, depending on play time and server availability. The amount of IP you get from deconstructing your own items is so tiny that I'm sure the bar looked like it didn't move at all :D Especially if you get to level 5 Blacksmithing and you're not using Steel, because your IP pool gets quite a bit bigger.
    Champion Cat-Herder for
    Elder Moot Guild

• Altuo
    Altuo
    I love your guide, thank you very much! I was wondering if you had any numbers on the third tier of crafting? Also, this post should be stickied. Keep up the great work!
  • Kangas
    Kangas
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't need a sticky until it's more complete. This information is cross posted across a ton of sites all over the web.

I'm at the point at level 17 Clothing where breaking down level 16 items does pretty much nothing for me. So switching to tier 3 myself.

The next big break point is 20 clothing for putting a skill point in to unlock the next tier.

So far I am level 33 in game and all my levelling comes from deconning items I quest/kill for.
  • Gmcartwright21b14_ESO
    Im at the same point Kangas. Im already 15 in all my crafts which says i can go to the next lvl.. i still gather steel/flax/oak just need more Oric lvl but i can do dwarven now in Blacksmithing.. 2 more skill points and i can do 3rd tier of the rest and skip the oric lvl mts.. nice guide tho
  • reduL
    reduL
    Soul Shriven
    You guys are great. One question thou and it have been asked befour... Will you be updating the guide for T3 and so on anytime soon. Not there yet but starting to.
    Keep up the great work and all cred to you for all you hard work
    www.syphusgaming.com
  • McLeod25
    McLeod25
    @Kangas We are still currently leveling up our skills and slowing filling out the table. I'm currently 30+ in Clothier, Blacksmithing, and Woodworking. I'm 50 in Provisioning and Alchemy. Enchanting is sitting at 24. So far, the trends are saying the lowest level and mat cost of T2+ items will give you the best inspiration per material.
  • Kangas
    Kangas
    ✭✭✭
    @McLeod25 sounds great. Near 30 clothing too now. Been trading lowest t3 t4 items. Seems ok. Still so slow. Prov 50 was painless at least. Hardly worth a guide forbthat.
    Enchanting they need to unbreak...
  • McLeod25
    McLeod25
    Enchanting is not as bad as once thought. Still do the leap frogging but not just with whites, that would take too long. We have found out that green, blue, and purple (scaling up) along with the potency rune level will give the best amount of inspiration. You do have to go farming for the runes, but I've spent maybe 1-2 hours total doing that.
  • Sunrock
    Sunrock
    ✭✭✭
    What level for cotton and leather?
  • luchomet
    luchomet
    Does this method work deconstructing equipment made by other character in the same account?
  • Ganges
    Ganges
    Soul Shriven
    This is exactly the info I've been trying to find. Thanks!
  • felipecarvalho
    felipecarvalho
    Soul Shriven
    Hi, I am trying to level blacksmith and clothing using this system, the only problem is to find someone :( Anyone interested plz add me in game, @felipecarvalho I am currently Tier 2 on both skills.
    Edited by felipecarvalho on April 25, 2014 1:18PM
  • scabrous_ftz
    scabrous_ftz
    ✭✭
    This does work with alts on the same account. But you use more materials and each character needs to invest skill points.
  • felipecarvalho
    felipecarvalho
    Soul Shriven
    This does work with alts on the same account. But you use more materials and each character needs to invest skill points.

Yeah I know that...but thanks for the input. Actually it will be good to meet some friends with crafting interest. Maybe I will search for a crafter guild or something. Another thing is that at the end you will have 2 chars with the same crafting skills. :(

Edited by felipecarvalho on April 25, 2014 1:32PM
  • Wolfy2512
    Wolfy2512
    I have 3 main characters (one in each zone) and 1 crafter who stays in Auridon, occasionally popping over to Eastshore Islets to create Death's Wind gear.

I've been collecting and banking items for my crafter to deconstruct if they aren't needed for research, and selling off any items i've crafted.

However I haven't yet decided how to spend the excess gold, is it worth me creating another crafter character to help each upgrade rather than use skill points from my main characters which could be better spent on attacking skills?
  • BambooScramble
    Is that Supposed to be Lv 4 Bows? Or 14?
  • temjiu
    temjiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is that Supposed to be Lv 4 Bows? Or 14?

Lvl 4. the idea is that it's the best balance between exp gained and materials spent in creating. I've also done lvl 6 before as well, gives a bit more exp, but the exp/mat cost is a bit higher. if mat's are not an issue, then by all means, use the highest level you can do in that tier (in this case, lvl 14 for tier 1).
  • ldzlcs065
    ldzlcs065
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience, if you craft/deconstruct items require what are not the highest level materials you can use, then you. only gain very little IPs. Have anyone done this kind of calculation?
  • alexkdd99
    alexkdd99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ldzlcs065 wrote: »
    In my experience, if you craft/deconstruct items require what are not the highest level materials you can use, then you. only gain very little IPs. Have anyone done this kind of calculation?

Super necro.
    Look at dates