The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

We need name tags above players and NPCs

vizionblind_ESO
vizionblind_ESO
✭✭✭
I want to be able to see names of NPCs and players, without hovering my mouse over them. Forget immersion.. this is a game and its frustrating without it
  • snakeeyes00
    snakeeyes00
    Soul Shriven
    I agree, At least give it as an option to toggle on and off, that way people who want full immersion can have the names turned off
  • warbaby2
    warbaby2
    Well, it's part of the games' design philosophy to NOT have stuff like that... you know, immersion breaking things that clutter the screen.
  • TheGodless1
    TheGodless1
    ✭✭✭
    But...but..wow has a cluttered screen and nameplates and chat bubbles and...yadayadayada...stop treating this like other games...go back to them if you can't hang
    tired of all these petty crying sessions
  • kelisw1ub17_ESO
    I would just like to be able to see if my guildmates or friends are there without having to try and mouseover every single person clustered around. There are huge blobs of people and no way to tell who is who
  • warbaby2
    warbaby2
    I would just like to be able to see if my guildmates or friends are there without having to try and mouseover every single person clustered around. There are huge blobs of people and no way to tell who is who

You kids from the pre-mobile are... just "scream and wave", like we did in the olden days. ;)
  • Yevon
    Yevon
    ✭✭✭
    Add nameplates for both players and NPC's with the option to toggle them on and off, or just adjust the API to allow modders to develop them (I would prefer the latter). If you want "immersion" (that's a bs argument btw) then fine no reason to dictate what others can do or like. Oh and the "go back to WoW" thing is silly and played out, don't stoop to that level it brings nothing to the argument and just makes you look uneducated.
    "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Yevon.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, we don't need name tags. It's fine the way it is, there's no need to change it.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Cormoran
      Cormoran
      ✭✭
      I'm all for name tags over the top. No harm at all in having the option for them.
      But...but..wow has a cluttered screen and nameplates and chat bubbles and...yadayadayada...stop treating this like other games...go back to them if you can't hang
      tired of all these petty crying sessions

You're the first person in this thread to mention WoW, but since you mentioned it perhaps you should consider the reason other games do this and if you don't like the 'crying sessions' then feel free to take your own advice and go.
      Cormoran Venim, level 6 Nightblade, Ebonheart Pact
    • vizionblind_ESO
      vizionblind_ESO
      ✭✭✭
      point is.. have the OPTION.....
    • FlintNo1
      FlintNo1
      ✭✭
      I agree I'd like the option to turn them on I've lost count of the times I've tried to defend someone and it actually turned out to be a NPC that only went for me after I saved him from a giant bug.
    • Catches_the_Sun
      Catches_the_Sun
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I want to be able to see names of NPCs and players, without hovering my mouse over them. Forget immersion.. this is a game and its frustrating without it

Ugh...no thanks.
      Catches-the-Sun - Argonian Templar - Master Smith, Provisioner, Chemist & Tailor
      Valaren Arobone - Dunmer Flamewalker - Master Woodworker, Provisioner, Assassin
      Kazahad - Khajiiti Arcane Archer - Master Thief
      V'orkten - Redguard Swordmaster
      Finnvardr the Frenzied - Werewolf Berzerker
    • Catches_the_Sun
      Catches_the_Sun
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yevon wrote: »
      Add nameplates for both players and NPC's with the option to toggle them on and off, or just adjust the API to allow modders to develop them (I would prefer the latter). If you want "immersion" (that's a bs argument btw) then fine no reason to dictate what others can do or like. Oh and the "go back to WoW" thing is silly and played out, don't stoop to that level it brings nothing to the argument and just makes you look uneducated.

Think about the PvP consequences of allowing the API to "locate" players. The lack of floating names is more about aesthetics in keeping with the Elder Scrolls tradition just like the lack of chat bubbles. If you add floating names & chat bubbles, you're no longer immersed in Elder Scrolls...you're playing reskinned WoW.

Catches-the-Sun - Argonian Templar - Master Smith, Provisioner, Chemist & Tailor
      Valaren Arobone - Dunmer Flamewalker - Master Woodworker, Provisioner, Assassin
      Kazahad - Khajiiti Arcane Archer - Master Thief
      V'orkten - Redguard Swordmaster
      Finnvardr the Frenzied - Werewolf Berzerker
    • Athena_8
      Athena_8
      Soul Shriven
      you have the option to turn on health bars over everyone, other players and npcs alike. The bad guys have red bars, the good guys have blue health bars. yes, i realize there are no nameplates, but for simply telling friendly from enemy it can be really helpful and make things less confusing and frustrating.
    • kelisw1ub17_ESO
      Yevon wrote: »

Think about the PvP consequences of allowing the API to "locate" players. The lack of floating names is more about aesthetics in keeping with the Elder Scrolls tradition just like the lack of chat bubbles. If you add floating names & chat bubbles, you're no longer immersed in Elder Scrolls...you're playing reskinned WoW.

There are already enemy health-bars floating above enemy players, whats the difference? And no nameplates work just fine when your playing a single player game but in an MMO with friends and guild-mates it is nice to know who your standing next to in a crowd.

Why would anybody be against having it as an option that can be toggled on or off? If you don't like it simply don't enable it.

As far as 'immersion' goes..again, we already have health bars floating above their heads. And every MMO since UO and EQ has had nameplates, have none of them been 'immersive'? The point of nameplates is recognizing and differentiating other players in a massive multiplayer game.
    • foxsyd
      foxsyd
      ✭✭✭
      I like the non- cluttered UI, I wouldn't have nameplates displayed myself. I have mistaken a player for an NPC a few times, but somehow that just added to my enjoyment of game.

That said, if someone wants an nameplate option to toggle on or off (it should be a choice), I'm for them having that option :)
      Join my guild!
      "Thank Sanguine its Fredas"
      North America Server, Ebonheart Pact, PVE/PVP, friendly & funny community. Welcomes all types of players!
      Preachers of #TeamIsland - Share your adventures and screen caps on our Facebook group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/268541133324278/
    • vizionblind_ESO
      vizionblind_ESO
      ✭✭✭

Ugh...no thanks.

vizionblind_ESOvizionblind_ESO ✭
      April 2
      point is.. have the OPTION.....
    • Krym
      Krym
      ✭✭✭
      NPCs don't have a level in front of their names...
    • Vorpedagel
      Vorpedagel
      ✭✭✭
      I agree with op. I've outlined this and several other things that I've found many players feel would be an improvement to the game on a thread that you can find here:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/70659/the-ebonheart-pact-s-game-improvement-discussion#latest

Drop by an check it out and leave some feedback if you have an opinion
    • TheFio
      TheFio
      ✭✭✭
      I prefer the game as is. Such little details is what helps make an elderscrolls game what it is.

If you prefer your mmos to all be the same with the exact same features please move back to one and do not attempt to dilute this one.
      Fuzzball of the Ashen hand
      ~Daggerfall Covenant~
    • Vorpedagel
      Vorpedagel
      ✭✭✭
      Unortunately "TheFio", ESO must first be seen as an MMO and secondly seen as an elder scrolls game, not saying I prefer it that way but that's the way it has to be otherwise the game will most likely fail.

You're right - nameplates will detract from the sense of realism of being an adventurer in Tamriel but what's more important is that a large percentage of players will want the OPTION whether they are displayed for them or not.

Most want it, some don't, but both are happy if you can toggle it in your client settings.
    • mu2
      mu2
      ✭✭✭
      It's incredible in such a complex, unique game such as ESO, people still think it'll be "a reskinned WoW clone" just by adding nameplates. Give the game a little credit, guys. It has a lot going for it, and this quality of life change won't destroy it. It'll make it better for a lot of people.
    • Ragnar_Lodbrok
      Ragnar_Lodbrok
      ✭✭✭✭✭

No. No. No. And the devs have spoken by listening to the elder scrolls fans, not mmo wow clone fans. If you don't like it leave. Having an option of nameplates is unfair for things like pvp.
      Edited by Ragnar_Lodbrok on April 9, 2014 6:29AM
    • Zerl
      Zerl
      ✭✭✭

You find the game frustrating without names floating above people?...

1st World Problems!

Seriously though, putting all the immersion and "go back to WoW" arguments aside, can't you honestly just take the game for what the Developers made it to be?

People are so demanding nowadays and not willing to take the rough with the smooth.
    • Foxhunt
      Foxhunt
      ✭✭✭
      Nameplates? Begone, they have no place here!
    • vizionblind_ESO
      vizionblind_ESO
      ✭✭✭

No. No. No. And the devs have spoken by listening to the elder scrolls fans, not mmo wow clone fans. If you don't like it leave. Having an option of nameplates is unfair for things like pvp.

sorry, money talks. there are a lot more MMO gamers playing than ESO fans. true story
    • Willow
      Willow
      ✭✭✭
      No!..ok you can have the option but the default should stay as it is.
    • Turrican
      Turrican
      ✭✭
      Look, the game has been designed with a particular ethos in mind. It's fine if that isn't to your liking but really the answer is for you to find a game you are happy with rather than changing the experience for everyone who appreciates the game for the way it currently is.
      Edited by Turrican on April 9, 2014 4:09PM
    • roblock81b14_ESO
      I like the game the way it is yes! Do I think players should have an option for this? Absolutely! Isn't the whole slogan of this game "Play the way you want"? This would not make it a silly "WoW" clone, if you are using that as an argument go back and play Skyrim. It is in fact an MMO and all MMO players are simply accustomed to having them as an option.

I would turn them on for sure and maybe I would spend less time shooting other players..
    • Attorneyatlawl
      Attorneyatlawl
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭

Agreed, no reason to not have the option for it. It hurts community and feels like everyone's an NPC with no name tags available. Also harder to organize pvp and raids with no nameplates, just gets frustrating and hurts competitive play.
      -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
      Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.