The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Please tell me there are Subtitles? Otherwise almost all Lore is lost to me?

rdesja202b16_ESO
rdesja202b16_ESO
Soul Shriven
Can someone please tell me hoe to enable Subtitles in the game?

I am hearing impaired, viewing the quest logs when speaking with NPC for quest etc.. is fine as the quest is written out but just completed the Harborage Quest with the Prophet and besides the quest updates to chat with him, the entire 5 Companions Lore and my own story connected to them are lost to me, have no idea whatsoever on what was going on and I am sure the Prophet and the 5 Companions were speaking. Please tell me that there is a way as by Law now, all videos games plus all Videos/Entertainment products are obligated to have subtitles. Now lost that entire Lore, anyone have it written down somewhere so I can catch up?

Thanks in advance gang,
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The closest to subtitles is reading quest dialogue. This should fill you in on most of the story though, since most dialogue is quest dialogue.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • MistryssNite
    MistryssNite
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they had a subtitle option in the beta, but I couldn't find one now. I, too, need subtitles, otherwise my mind, and sometimes ears, won't fully comprehend what they are saying. Plus, I sometimes don't have my volume on very high. Plus, there are many non-native English speakers that need subtitles.
    Edited by MistryssNite on March 30, 2014 9:19PM
    Current main: Pe'tra
    Female Khajiit Templar of the Aldmeri Dominion
    Feel free to join her in questing ^.^
    It's just been a morning of death
  • ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to third a subtitle option as well!
    "It's morally wrong to suggest gameplay changes for an MMO."
    ...seriously, someone told me that once here. The things people will do to win their internet arguments!
  • Sutna
    Sutna
    I think the Wykky'd framework add-on has subtitles.
    Co-founder of First Age, a pvp/pve guild with many players coming from LOTRO.
  • smeddlypreub18_ESO
    I am hear impaired as well and was deep in the beta I have asked on a couple occations for this. You really have two options and I will try to lay this out from memory as I can't log on currently. First in the settings I think it is in social there is a NPC chat turn that on the text will than appear in the chat box. Second go to http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info8-WykkydsFramework.html and install that addon this will supply a more traditional white text at the bottom of the screen subtitle bar. Now that being said it will only show the same text as the previously mentioned option to turn on NPC in the settings. Just yell if you need any more help. Us Deffies need to stick together.
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes there are subtitles. From the chat window -- click on the gear, then go to options, then make sure there is a check mark next to NPCs.
  • ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    Sutna wrote: »
    I think the Wykky'd framework add-on has subtitles.

I haven't had luck getting it to work yet, at least not when NPCs are chatting with each other as part of a quest.

"It's morally wrong to suggest gameplay changes for an MMO."
    ...seriously, someone told me that once here. The things people will do to win their internet arguments!
  • rdesja202b16_ESO
    rdesja202b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks Smeddlypreub for your comments and help.

I just want to make clear that I am not looking for subtitles throughout the open zones just the instances that progress the storyline with my character. Again, if this is not available already, they will need to put it in ASAP as the Law states that everything and anything video format must have an option to enable subtitles. This happened on the Steam Forums with the recently released game "Banner Saga" and the backlash was so intense that their first patch was mostly about adding subtitles.

This is a serious issue, not flaming or meant to Troll, but if I can't hear or in this case read the game you are not making the game "politically correct". It is not the Communities job to make add-ons for a feature that is required, it is the companies to do so.

Anyhow, when all is said and done, it won't prevent me from playing the game, but it will prevent me from understanding and immersing myself with all the Lore and storyline that the rest of you will be enjoying.
    Edited by rdesja202b16_ESO on March 30, 2014 9:37PM
  • smeddlypreub18_ESO
    Yes the NPC option will show you the important stuff but not overload you at least to my experiance I personally use the add-on so that I don't have extra text in my chat box.
  • delphwind_ESO
    delphwind_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Ysne58 answered your question please scroll up past your rant about the legality of the issue and follow his instructions.
  • rdesja202b16_ESO
    rdesja202b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Dephwind:
    I never insulted anyone and hope to goodness your intent with that "rant" answer was not one also. I pray you never have any impediment whatsoever in your life, you view will totally change: I lost my hearing due to an explosive launching off next to me while working helping people in another country that were under attack. That said...........

I received this from my ticket:

Greetings!

Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team.

At the moment there is no option to have subtitles in the game, but, as a workaround, there is a way to have the NPC dialogue on the chat window. To enable this option, please follow these steps:- Press "Enter" to show your chat window.- Click on the wheel and select "Options".- Check "NPC" on the filter section.- Exit.You should now see Quest NPCs dialogue on chat.

You can also find this information in our knowledge base, which we consistently update with any changes. Use the following link for the most up-to-date information regarding your question:

Which is basically what has been suggested here. If it does not show NPC chat when I am doing a solo instance lore-wise? Then it is not what I was asking. Nonetheless the speed in the reply comforts me that they also think this to be important. Very good speed on a Tech question/reply on pre-launch day from Tech Support. Thank you.
    Edited by rdesja202b16_ESO on March 30, 2014 10:22PM
  • Isidor
    Isidor
    Just the info I was looking for. Was taking a stroll with the prophet this morning and was cursing the lack of subtitles.
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That did bother me too. Which is why I posted about the work around. By they way, I'm a she.
  • Fexelea
    Fexelea
    ✭✭✭
    I've added this workaround to the wiki FAQ. Thank you for posting I was looking for something like this!
    Join the fan-powered community wiki for Elder Scrolls Online.
    https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Elder+Scrolls+Online+Wiki. All Eso Sets
    or check out the Dark Souls Wiki. We also have a Sekiro Wiki Bloodborne Wiki, Elden Ring Wiki and Dark Souls 3 Wiki

• kram0789
    kram0789
    The correct answer is even easier and the dialogue will show on main screen instead of the chat box. For each toon, go to settings, audio and turn on the first item, which is subtitles on or off.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kram0789 wrote: »
    The correct answer is even easier and the dialogue will show on main screen instead of the chat box. For each toon, go to settings, audio and turn on the first item, which is subtitles on or off.

This thread is from March 2014, almost 4 years ago. The pieces of functionality for subtitles and sending NPC dialogue to the chat box have been reintroduced since then. I would assume OP is no longer in need of having the question answered. :D
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is definitely an option for subtitles in the options menu, because I use it, myself. I don't use a mod for that. You don't need to. The game has the option.

I forget what it's under, though. It might be under the "audio" heading, of all things.

*EDIT* Oh holy crap. I was the victim of a necroposting. Why do people necro these ancient threads????

Edited by SydneyGrey on February 20, 2018 3:57AM
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. Go to Audio, enable Subtitles

2. Open your chat box options and enable NPC Chat

3. Enjoy all the subtitles :)
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again people, this thread is 4 years old. Your answers aren't relevant, most of the solutions you are providing didn't exist at the time.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • nihirisutou
    nihirisutou
    ✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    Again people, this thread is 4 years old. Your answers aren't relevant, most of the solutions you are providing didn't exist at the time.

This was nevertheless amusing to see during work time.
    [PS4/EU]

PSN: Nihirisutou

CP: 650+

FOR THE DOMINION!!
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So were you able to get the subtitles turned on?
  • ZOS_MattL
    ZOS_MattL
    ✭✭✭
    Hello there,
    This thread is about four years old and has been resolved long ago, because of this we have decided to close this thread.
    Regards,
    Matt
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.