The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[Crafting] Racial Styles

Rebelweasel
Rebelweasel
✭✭✭✭
Known Racial Motifs

Race = Ore
Altmer (High Elf) = Adamantite
Ancient Elf = Malachite
Argonian = Flint
Barbaric/Reach = Copper
Bosmer (Wood Elves) = Bone
Breton = Molybdenum
Daedric = Daedra Heart
Dunmer (Dark Elf) = Obsidian
Khajiit = Moonstone
Imperial = Nickel
Nord = Corundum
Sexy Orc = Manganese
Primal/Primitive = Argentum
Redguard = Starmetal

*Some of the names of racial styles were different depending on whether you read it in the crafting station, or on the item description for the ore. I'm hoping those are fixed and will update soonest!
**ESO has announced there are 15 racial styles, anyone know which one we're missing?

What is a Racial Motif?
Racial Motifs are physical styles of crafted items. Racial Motifs affect only the appearance of an item, no stats are changed. There is a Racial Motif for every playable species in the game. There are also special and unusual Racial Motifs. Anyone can equip any type of Racial Motif item. For example, I played an Orc who
wore Altmer Motif armor.

How do I Get Racial Motifs?
Every player enters the game with the knowledge of his own Race's crafting Motif. You learn other Race Motifs from blue-named books which are rare loot finds. Yes, you can trade the books to someone else, yes you can sell them also! Of special note: Racial Motif Books are not quite as rare as some people complain. The problem is, that many people rush through area's without taking the careful time to open many of the containers around them. For instance, there are chests, wardrobes, nightstands, bookshelves, and even books lying on balcony rails or tables which can be picked up! Even if a building or area seems to have no purpose, take the time to explore it and open the containers inside! I can't believe how many friends of mine missed so many books because they refused to go upstairs and completely explore the top floor of the Screaming Mermaid in Stros M'kai, or other buildings. They just run to the target quest giver, run out, and miss so much stuff! To learn the Racial Motif, you must actually consume the book, and there is lore text you can read just like other books in the game. Some Racial Motif books also level up a skill.

BEWARE: if you already know a racial motif (as of patch v0.17), it will still let you consume a second book for that style! You'll want to make a habit to always double check that you don't have the style first before you eat a book!

Who Uses Racial Motifs?

Crafters who use Racial Motifs are:
  • Blacksmith
  • Clothier
  • Woodworker

What are Racial Motif Ores?
Racial Motifs are applied to items with a Racial Motif Ore during the craft process. You cannot craft an item without a Racial Motif Ore. Each crafted item requires only one Racial Motif Ore, no matter what level the crafted item is (as far as we know for now). There is an ore unique to each Motif.

How do I Get Racial Motif Ores?
Racial Motif Ores are a semi rare loot item found in loot containers such as trunks, bookshelves, nightstands, dressers, cupboards, and the occasional dead bodies and backpacks. You also can get Racial Motif Ores by deconstructing an item. You will always get the Racial Motif Ore that matches the items' Motif. So for instance if you deconstruct an Orcish Bow, you have a chance to get Magnesium Ore, but only Magnesium Ore will come from it, if it does. You may also buy Racial Motif Ores from an NPC vendor if you are desperate. The current price is 15g per single ore. Crafters are desperate for Raical Motif Ores -- donate yours today!

Q&A
I heard you can sometimes learn a racial style from deconstructing an item?
I haven't been able to confirm this for certain, but I did have a strange experience also. I was very certain that I'd not unlocked Argonian yet, and one day a guild mate gave me an Argonian book and I went to check for certain if I knew it first before eating the book (because you can sadly still consume them by mistake if you already know the style, so I check carefully each time first to be sure) and saw I already had Argonian learned! I could swear I never had a book before, so I can't think of any other explanation than I randomly learned it from deconstructions. I'm trying to get some real proof of this, but keep it in mind as a possibility!

zE9Qf05.png
Edited by Rebelweasel on April 2, 2014 3:54PM
Champion Cat-Herder for
Elder Moot Guild

• Furgus
    Furgus
    very helpful thanks
  • Praetor_Tyberius
    Just a guess since I haven't been able to confirm/deny this in game, but feel it should be there, the one you're missing is.....Dwemer
  • Mikeyd0577
    Nice catch Praetor!!
  • vanity
    vanity
    ✭✭
    You can loot books from bodies.
  • Rebelweasel
    Rebelweasel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @vanity‌ ! I will add that to my list of places you can get ores. Also a great idea, @Praetor_Tyberius‌ I hope it really does turn out to be Dwemer, because it makes sense compared to other ES titles that we should be able to make their armor since we always have been able to before (after? lol).

Has anyone found Imperial, Primal/Primitive, Daedric, or Reach/Barbaric yet? I haven't even found the ores for them so far to be able to verify that they've standardized the names between the books, ore, and crafting table.
    Champion Cat-Herder for
    Elder Moot Guild

• vanity
    vanity
    ✭✭
    I don't know I've been offering 10k for special style books, I'd assume someone would sell if they saw. Maybe they all drop from endgame bosses (that'd make the most sense) since they are very unique and rare styles.

For instance consider other games and how annoying it is when everyone ends up wearing the same armor and you want there to be some really cool rare set you can pursue. I'd like to think that those style books are the case. So we will very rarely see people in full deadric armor or full primitive.
  • Bollerlotte
    Bollerlotte
    ✭✭✭
    need preview pictures!
  • Anthony.R.Doughertyb14_ESO
    anyone have any suggestions for good spots to farm the books? i was farming the bank in daggerfall as it has like 5-6 potential drops
  • Dulfy
    Dulfy
    ✭✭✭
  • Lookoutitsdomkeub17_ESO
    Does anyone know the drop rate %? I see plenty of people who have all of the racial styles unlocked by level 15, but I myself am 12 and still haven't found a single motif. It's becoming very irritating and I'm about to scream.
  • Dovahkin
    Dovahkin
    i got to 35 hours of gameplay and lvl 20 before i found my first one, i loot everything also
  • rtx
    rtx
    ✭✭✭
    It just depends on luck. I check only ebonheart inn, indoril manor, ebonheart castle and davon's watch inn and I usually find 2 motifs daily. Once I've found orc motif less than 5 minutes after selling another orc motif and once I've found 2 in the same place, so just check everything and rely on your luck.
  • Branbran
    Branbran
    ✭✭
    You can probably remove that warning about consuming a motif if you already have it. Did this today and I got a warning that I already knew it. It did open the book again but I still had the motif in my bag.
    Winter-Time
    by Robert Louis Stevenson
    Late lies the wintry sun a-bed,
    A frosty, fiery sleepy-head;
    Blinks but an hour or two; and then,
    A blood-red orange, sets again.

Before the stars have left the skies,
    At morning in the dark I rise;
    And shivering in my nakedness,
    By the cold candle, bathe and dress.

Close by the jolly fire I sit
    To warm my frozen bones a bit;
    Or with a reindeer-sled, explore
    The colder countries round the door.

When to go out, my nurse doth wrap
    Me in my comforter and cap;
    The cold wind burns my face, and blows
    Its frosty pepper up my nose.

Black are my steps on silver sod;
    Thick blows my frosty breath abroad;
    And tree and house, and hill and lake,
    Are frosted like a wedding cake.
  • Woogawoman
    Woogawoman
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^
    Confirmed.
    Aetherium Oblivion Alliance - 40+ Mature Gamers Guild (NA)
  • Bruggles
    Bruggles
    Regarding Daedric, Barbaric, Primitive, Ancient Elf:

I have the last 3 (barb, prim, AE learned) I bought them, so not sure where they drop. Apparently once you hit vetran ranks you have a chance of obtaining them. Daedric is selling for 50-100k gold at the moment so its out of my grasp. Be prepared to spend 25k gold each for Barb, Prim, AE.

Now I just need to find the crafting ores heh. I have quite a few Primitive ores (start with an A, forget what exactly they are called. I have 1 Copper (barbaric crafting Ore), and 0 crafting ores for Ancient Elf, and 0 Daedra Heart. I really hope there is a vendor somewhere that sells these crafting ores, I have had no luck advertising WTB in zone chat to obtain them.
  • kirrasha
    kirrasha
    ✭✭
    I've not been able to reach veteran areas yet, due to the lovely groundskeeper bug, but I've found just 1 daedra heart from a pot or trunk in coldharbour.

Some of the public dungeons have a lot of theese scattered around, so thats probably your best bet to get them.

I found a palladium (ancient elf I believe), in The Rift. But never seen it again.
    Got 5 primals from deconstruction gear I think...
  • Redwaller66
    How do you check which ones you have? I have consumed an orc motif but don't know which one.
  • brotherz
    brotherz
    Update the most important race piece we're all wanting to see: Daedric.
  • a.forbessimmonsrwb17_ESO
    Do Imperial books actually drop? Or can you only get Imperial style by being an Imperial?
  • JoxerHD
    JoxerHD
    Do Imperial books actually drop? Or can you only get Imperial style by being an Imperial?

Definitely a drop
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you check which ones you have? I have consumed an orc motif but don't know which one.
    If you go to an blacksmithing, cloth or wood station and check off has knowledge but leave has item off you will see the various styles and traits you can use.

An warning you can use up books you already know so be careful, far better to trade them.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Deadarth
    Deadarth
    False, you cannot use a racial motif you already know ... I tested it and did it many times to know if I had a certain motif or not.
  • kreekitb16_ESO
    kreekitb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    For the Question where those Motif Books drop:

"normal" Style Books: Everywhere in the Area 1-50, means your Alliance zones + Coldharbour.

Primal / Barbaric: next Alliance zones, so VR1-VR5 zones
    Daedric / Ancient Elf: VR6-VR10 zones

Imperial Style Book: found only 1 of These, and that was 2nd Alliance Zone, so VR1-VR5 too, like Barbaric/Primal.

Getting the Stones: Deconstruct Items, you will get "plenty" , well ... at least Primal/Barbaric so far :) , Daedric / ancient Elf are quite rare.
  • Stautmeister
    Stautmeister
    ✭✭✭
    Dont sell everything blindly, check what apparel the items have, deconstruct the ones that look weird and youl get your mats for the special sets :)
    An orc marrying a wood elf?! Enjoy your Borsimer mutants!
  • Tieberion
    Tieberion
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking for weapons, think I may just bite the bullet and make a forum psot once I have the last two books I need. Already started a thread over here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/80348/pictures-of-all-racial-weapons?new=1
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    not sure how true this is, I went through so many zones and I am reasonably careful and thorough. I only got 3 motif books.

This thing is incredibly rare, If you think you can get it quickly, you are wrong, remember there are so many people playing the game too, so whatever drop rate they designed for the motif books, it becomes near zero for any given individual.

You may as well leveling another toon to get the armor style of that race.
    Edited by crislevin on May 3, 2014 12:01AM
  • MrPhooey
    MrPhooey
    OP needs to update. Palladium is for Ancient Elf.
  • TkTachyon
    TkTachyon
    Soul Shriven
    It would be pretty awesome if they did a Glass motif. Can't remember if it was a style in Skyrim, but it was nice in Oblivion.
  • bigbri922b14_ESO
    bigbri922b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    why was the Dwemer Motif removed from the beta? it was the best looking style(the black and gold suited rogue from the siege trailer), you could preview in beta but never showed in finished product such a disappointment.