The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Disconnecting with an 'Unknown Error' message.

• Dominulf
    Dominulf
    ✭✭✭
    I just full repaired, forwarded ports on my router, ran as admin mode
    same bug making the game very frustrating to play.

Here are the ports, though the canned response we received was obviously a stock answer. https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1133
    Edited by Dominulf on March 30, 2014 6:08PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online - Where the best spells are AoEs and the strongest weapon is a Shield!

"I used to be the most beloved roleplaying series of a generation... but then I took $14.99/mo to the knee."
  • NoirJ
    NoirJ
    ✭✭✭
    NoirJ wrote: »
    @SenselessChip
    Default location is:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online EU

Thanks mate :)

Anytime :smile:
  • SenselessChip
    SenselessChip
    ✭✭
    they have had 4 weeks (since the first beta) to sort this out... it's soo frustrating!
  • merianya
    merianya
    I'm having the same issue. I am able to play for 5-15 minutes then I am dropped from the game with "Unknown Error". Additionally, my internet connection ends up broken as well. I did not have any of these issues when I played during the Beta. Here is my info/the things I have tried so far to resolve this issue:

I am running Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit
    I am running on the North America megaserver.
    All drivers (such as video) are at the latest versions.
    I am running ESO as Administrator.
    Turned off Windows Firewall as well as my antivirus software (Norton).
    Ran the Repair utility for ESO.
    Other background programs such as Steam have been closed.
    I am currently in the process of re-installing the ESO client.
    I have also checked my Windows event logs and Device Manager for any errors. Nothing unusual has shown up in either location.

Two interesting things (well, interesting to me anyway):

(1) If, after the game has exited with the "unknown error", I open a command prompt and run "ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconfig /renew" my internet connection is restored, though it takes considerably longer to renew the ip address than it normally would.

(2) Additionally, my husband's computer, running in the same room, off of the same router, does not experience this issue when logged in with either his account or with mine. This only occurs on my computer.

As I said earlier, this issue did not occur during Beta, so I'm not sure what changed. I have not made any hardware or software changes to my system since Beta.

If the re-install of the client doesn't fix the issue I will be resetting my entire home network to make sure that it isn't some intermittent issue in the network. If that doesn't work then I'm running out of ideas.
  • SenselessChip
    SenselessChip
    ✭✭
    Has anyone tried making a new character?
  • NoirJ
    NoirJ
    ✭✭✭
    merianya wrote: »
    (1) If, after the game has exited with the "unknown error", I open a command prompt and run "ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconfig /renew" my internet connection is restored, though it takes considerably longer to renew the ip address than it normally would.

(2) Additionally, my husband's computer, running in the same room, off of the same router, does not experience this issue when logged in with either his account or with mine. This only occurs on my computer.

As I said earlier, this issue did not occur during Beta, so I'm not sure what changed. I have not made any hardware or software changes to my system since Beta.

If the re-install of the client doesn't fix the issue I will be resetting my entire home network to make sure that it isn't some intermittent issue in the network. If that doesn't work then I'm running out of ideas.

Does your Husbands PC have a static address? Sounds like a DHCP issue, so you may want to try setting a static IP and testing the connection that way.

• merianya
    merianya
    NoirJ,

No, his network settings are configured the same way that mine are.

Based on comments in some other threads in the forums it appears that I'm not the only one with the situation where 1 computer in a house works fine but another computer in the same house, on the same network can't keep connected. It's really strange, but apparently not a unique situation for me.
  • Lioben
    Lioben
    Unfortunately i have the same Problem. I am working on a solution and did all previous mentioned things except reinstalling, because i already spent the entire weekend to reinstall and download a clean version.
  • Zheg
    Zheg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same problem here. I've got a brand new computer, all drivers updated, and everything I can think of trying to fix it on my end results in failure. Surprised they haven't said anything yet about this, a lot of people seem to be affected.
  • dgroutb16_ESO
    +1.. same issue... was weird was playing quite happily for 8 hours then this started.. almost unplayable now.
  • johnbagnoli_ESO
    Still having this issue.

Tried repair, making sure eso.exe is good through the firewall, all drivers updated top to bottom.
  • Nabren
    Nabren
    For the record, I have a static IP address and both my desktop PC and my wife's laptop are experiencing the same issue. I disabled my firewall and added ESO as always allow and it still happens regardless.

Every so often, "An unknown error has occured" and your back to the login screen.

This occurs anywhere in the game, even character select. Makes creating a new character quite fun...

It definitely seems network related. But I haven't had any network issues in literally any other game I have played under this setup so I find this weird that the problem is being pushed on the users.

I added a new QoS rule to give ESO the highest priority, so I will give that a go and update if it seems to help.
    Edited by Nabren on March 30, 2014 9:59PM
  • Lioben
    Lioben
    Any result Nabren?
  • knblatt_ESO
    knblatt_ESO
    ✭✭
    I've tried everything listed here and am still having this problem. Sometimes I can go an hour without a disconnect and other times just a few minutes.
  • cadrys
    cadrys
    Same problem. NA megaserver, no blocks on the router. It doesn't take down the entire IP stack as merianya reported. Getting kicked every 10 minutes or so, sometimes in midcombat, makes this an unplayable experience. Did not have the problem in the first beta, did have it the later ones.

• dekkon2000b16_ESO
    I'm having this problem, but only on ONE character. I have another char who has been playing fine. log onto this one and I get lag and DC'd with this error.
  • Lioben
    Lioben
    That should be another problem. Had this one as well in the Beta @ Dekkon. He looks naked in the character preview right? This usually happened very soon and the character was somehow broken, so i always started new ones. Never experienced it after the Tutorial.

However if you have the same problem like us, than you could have the same thing, but than with all characters ;) Unfortunately.
  • DanBlackfyre
    DanBlackfyre
    ✭✭
    This problem may be related to http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/61061/can-t-play-game-after-tutorial-in-the-prison/p1

Also it is not a ''specific ISP'' problem. It happens with different ISPs in both servers.
  • Oldesarge
    Oldesarge
    Soul Shriven
    Same issues, may happen in combat, after interaction with a merchant/banker or even a long ride on the mount.
  • Serl
    Serl
    Soul Shriven
    With the same problem. And after getting the unknown error I always get others errors when trying to log in again(as in 108, 200, 201, 301 or 300). I'm really ticked off about this. Costumer service just says its because there are too many people on and that it will be better later. When? Probably when those who got 3-day early access try too? Or maybe on the official launch day when it will be even worse. :(
  • KrakhenJr
    KrakhenJr
    ✭✭
    Same here,

Windows 8.1 64bit
    nVidia 760(335.23 Drivers)
    Norton Antivirus
    Zenimax Folder excluded from Antivirus
    Ports 24100:24131/24500:24507 forwarded to my pc @ router
    NA Server
    Edited by KrakhenJr on March 30, 2014 11:54PM
    PC/NA
    Elder Scrolls fan since ES3: Morrowind
    Dunmer lore fan!
  • dekkon2000b16_ESO
    For people having trouble with this, try starting a new character and play a bit on them. I did that and then switched to my problem character un-equipped his staff ran around and everything has been fine so far. I seemed to be getting dc'd when i was spamming my staff(fire) at nothing. Dunno if it was all random luck but i can play again on this character.
  • chimichi
    chimichi
    I even get dc'd while creating a new character. Some other i created before this started (for me everything was fine just till bout one hour ago, got my first char to lvl 7 ) are not working either, i get dc'd while loading. I'm on the EU-server. Its 2:28 AM here, and it has been working fine earlier, how can the server now be full?
  • mxdd11
    mxdd11
    Every time that I go to sign in and play, it takes a long time before anything happens. When something does happen it says "Error: An unknown error has occurred". I'm at college now, the game was working fine when I was at home.
  • DanBlackfyre
    DanBlackfyre
    ✭✭
    mxdd11 wrote: »
    Every time that I go to sign in and play, it takes a long time before anything happens. When something does happen it says "Error: An unknown error has occurred".

Do you have a different ISP in your college? I think it might be related to the issue discussed in this thread since I also had the same symptoms: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/61061/can-t-play-game-after-tutorial-in-the-prison/p1
  • deast25
    deast25
    This is getting really ridiculous. Why arent they actually responding with something useful? I've done everything I can think about to test and re test from my end. Repair, reinstall, backup, update drivers, check router, check ISP, check firewall, check virus software, email support, call support, talk to Dad the computer tech, etc.

Nothing. Has. Worked.

Logged in at 5:50:25pm PST. Given the boot with the "Unknown error occurred" (who codes that kind of response anyway?) at 5:51:15pm PST. I get less than 1-2 minutes of game time before I'm told to f--- off by the game.

Help? Moderator? Administrator? Someone who knows what the hell is going on?

Also, just ran the game tester feature. If a support agent wants to get back to me, I'll email it to you.
  • hrdndv_ESO
    hrdndv_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I had this problem in Beta during the first day of each Beta Test. I am not surprised it is back. The Devs keep changing stuff everytime they get the servers fixed... LOL. Anyway, I expect they will fix the servers by the time early access is finished. A small percentage of players will need to fix their computers and software. Videocards are a major problem. DirectX is not usually the problem as most gamers have it up to date already. Security systems often stop processes right in the middle so your system freezes. hmmm... there are so many things that can go wrong. ESO is a high-end game... it puts a lot of demands on your machine. It also puts a lot of demands on your internet connection. I had all of these problems before I got properly running in the last Beta. Good Luck everyone!
  • Zelus
    Zelus
    I have had the same problem once today... I have re logged a few times because of massive lag for no reason (still chatting with my friends on VENT and the game boots me out "unknown error") yet my friends had no lag what so ever... then I am good for awhile. I believe its something server side seems pretty random and my ISP is good...Ive run the beta never had this issue.
  • Sindarious
    Having the same problem. Have tried making other characters still get kicked out. I'm sure this is not a problem on my end. I've got pretty much every mmo of the last 10 years on m pc and can play each and everyone with no problem. So like I said, can't be a problem on my end but this is really *** to say the least.
  • deast25
    deast25
    hrdndv_ESO wrote: »
    I had this problem in Beta during the first day of each Beta Test. I am not surprised it is back. The Devs keep changing stuff everytime they get the servers fixed... LOL. Anyway, I expect they will fix the servers by the time early access is finished. A small percentage of players will need to fix their computers and software. Videocards are a major problem. DirectX is not usually the problem as most gamers have it up to date already. Security systems often stop processes right in the middle so your system freezes. hmmm... there are so many things that can go wrong. ESO is a high-end game... it puts a lot of demands on your machine. It also puts a lot of demands on your internet connection. I had all of these problems before I got properly running in the last Beta. Good Luck everyone!

I've had this problem all through beta testing, but not at all while playing at a friends house this morning. This only happens to me at home. But only my computer. My dad plays without issue whereas I'm kicked out every 45 seconds - 2 minutes.
This discussion has been closed.