The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Do you have a heal or a dmg shield slotted on your hotbar?

DDuke
DDuke
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Hello,

I'm making this poll for research purposes. Do you have any kind of heal or damage shield slotted on either of your hotbars?

Thanks for voting :)

Decimus
Edited by DDuke on December 24, 2014 11:50PM

Do you have a heal or a dmg shield slotted on your hotbar? 172 votes

I have a heal slotted on my hotbar(s)
18%
AlomarNightreaverSaint_JiubB14_ESOerosenjiyb14_ESOTelelStalwart385TheBullwookiefriseurbertenburnyb16_ESOKagheiBlooddancerkrimIxSTALKERxItemplar_von_midgardKaneK899ub17_ESOKatanaq72Tavore1138OrchishStoHelitsuycyco 31 votes
I have a dmg shield slotted on my hotbar(s)
9%
Glorydermottib14_ESOglakKupokingRev RielleSRIBESDazin93tplink3r1badmojoSacadonnyxnoxKromussirstonAd.AbsurdumLuciditysmacx250Da Sandman 17 votes
I have a heal and a dmg shield slotted on my hotbar(s)
63%
cozmon3c_ESOdriosketchNordJitsuTeargrantsJahosefatManoekinArmitasTheLawErock25TiitusCinnamon_SpiderRylanaVesirc0rpDarlgonSublimeMorvulTaonnorTankqullYuls 109 votes
I have neither of them slotted on my hotbar(s)
8%
Nivzruo_ESOSaetNotSoKevinmonxMovingTargetGrim13Nallenilwhiteshadow711jppreub18_ESOColumbaSuntzu1414themizarionilldaxph1026Workerdroid7MorganRaptor 15 votes
  • xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ^ this, because you know i dont play PvP ;) And in PvE i am pure DPS. No need for shields or heal. Stuff dies before i need to heal. Also I am a mighty DragonKnight. I dont need heals, ever!
  • Subtomik
    Subtomik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP templar, I would say most of us run this or at the very least 1 heal.
  • Telel
    Telel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Telel uses rally which is a heal of sorts.

no shields but they do use double take to avoid some damage.
    Character: Telel
    Class: Night Blade-Werewolf-viking-ninja-catgirl-mallet wielder
    Past times: Refusing to go full magika spec, hitting things with a big hammer, sniping, and speaking in khajiit
    Also: Gelel the Derp Knight, Altsel the streaker, and Filafel the temp temp.

Khajiit has a twitch stream! https://twitch.tv/telel_khajiit feel free to come see how truly unskilled Telel is.
  • Sypher
    Sypher
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ^ this, because you know i dont play PvP ;) And in PvE i am pure DPS. No need for shields or heal. Stuff dies before i need to heal. Also I am a mighty DragonKnight. I dont need heals, ever!

I'm sure he values your vote, but considering this is in the 'Alliance War' section, the OP is trying to gain data about the PvP player base. :p
    DC Dragonknight 'Sypher - AD Nightblade Sypher Ali - AD Sorcerer Sypher Sensei - EP Sorcerer Sypharian - DC Templar Ali Sypher

Youtube: www.youtube.com/SypherPK
    Twitch: www.twitch.tv/SypherPK
  • xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sypher wrote: »

I'm sure he values your vote, but considering this is in the 'Alliance War' section, the OP is trying to gain data about the PvP player base. :p

I never look at the section :( I just check the thread as they pop up on the recent page. I really should start checking. ;)

The few moments i did PvP though, i used resto staff. So yea, i use heals. But cant revert my vote.
    Edited by xMovingTarget on December 25, 2014 12:05AM
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a dmg shield slotted on my hotbar(s)
    Blazing Shield <3
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Psilent
    Psilent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to have two shields and a heal, but have cut back to one. Unless I know certain players will be in a battle or fighting certain Emperors, then I add the 2nd shield again.
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the character

Nightblade I have Sap (and ward on my light armor/resto setup)
    DK I have GDB and Igneous
    Templar I have Ward Ally, Blazing, Magicka Harness, and Barrier ultimate, with heals on the other bar.
    Sorc I have Hardened Ward, Heal Ally, Magicka Harness, and critical surge

But all skills subject to change on the fly, I dont use all of the above all of the time, and sometimes i have no heal, just a shield.
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Leeching strikes, along with funnel health, gives me some health
    Edited by Cody on December 25, 2014 12:31AM
  • kimboh
    kimboh
    ✭✭✭✭
    In PvE no, but in PvP heal and shield is a must, without them you won't last long.
    <l Cygnus X|VR14|Sorc l>
    <| Romulus Prime|VR12|Temp |>
    <| Qwoptus |lvl30|DK|>
    <| DC|EU |>
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Newbie here; what do you mean by dmg sheild?
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    @newtinmpls magicka based ability that gives you a shield over your health instead of healing you

If you pvp and are attacking someone that doesn't seem to die no matter how low their health is, it's probably because they are stacking and refreshing damage shields.
    Edited by NotSo on December 25, 2014 2:00AM
    Gar'Sol the Wanderer VR14 Khajiit Sorcerer Spellblade
  • Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a heal and damage shield but my damage sheild is Brawler, which does not really protect me much at all, and my heal is leeching strikes, rally, and Reaper's mark.
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have Funnel Health slotted plus I wear a set that gives a damage shield.
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A sheild over my health? Never ran into that (yet). But then I have no plans to PVP. Ever.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Soulac
    Soulac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm a NB with healing ward, so I think I got both :)
    R.I.P Dawnbreaker / Auriel´s Bow
    Member of the Arena Guild and the overpowered Banana Squad.
    Nathaerizh aka Cat - Nightblade V16 - EU

- Meow -
  • Subtomik
    Subtomik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    A sheild over my health? Never ran into that (yet). But then I have no plans to PVP. Ever.

Thanks for joining us in the alliance war section. Congrats on your PvE accomplishments.
  • JackDaniell
    JackDaniell
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haz 80 health regen, stack multiple hots and cover it with bshield and immovable. I also have a very high armor and spell resist rating as well as purge quite often. I also hit like a truck. That's a PvP build tho, in PvE I have non of those but hit even harder.

You don't need a burst heal, but unless your running 15 sec health pots some sort of heal or damage shield is really a must for survival in PvP. Unless of course you just Yolo around hoping a friendly healer is nearby, or you just gank from stealth then run away if you get caught.
    Ebonheart Templar

www.youtube.com/user/kristofersommermusic
  • Tripwyr
    Tripwyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does Healing Ward count as both?
    Alacrity Founder | Forum Emperor
    World First Veteran Dragonstar Arena

Tripwyr Manawrath - AD NA Sorcerer, Former Emperor of Haderus; Former Emperor of Hopesfire, First Cycle
    Tripwyr Flamewrath - AD NA Dragon Knight, Former Emperor of Thornblade, First Cycle
    Imperial Tripwyr - AD NA Templar, Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade
    Ripwyr - DC NA Templar
    Nyrv - EP NA Sorcerer

I am of the firm opinion that subtracting "raging stupidity" from anyone's voice can only cause them to sound more like myself.
  • suycyco
    suycyco
    ✭✭✭
    As a stamina NB rally is my only option to regen life and survive a little longer.
  • Stilliko
    Stilliko
    ✭✭
    I think for PvP you need at least one or the other. I use both.

For PvE, like pledges and trials, you can afford to not have them because other members of your group (if your not the healer) will heal for you. Focus on whatever your task is( tanking, DPS, heals).
    Edited by Stilliko on December 25, 2014 9:48PM
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    95 votes later, pure DPS specs constitute less than 5% of voters.

Extra question, anyone can answer (I might make a poll about this later): would you agree that ZOS needs to do more to make these builds more viable in PvP, and if so, how do you think they could accomplish this?

Thanks again for voting, it's good to have some numbers (with a margin of error of course) on the preferred playstyles of players instead of just basing everything on personal experience.
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a cloth wearing sorc, healing ward and hardened ward are bare minimum. If faced with lots of bat swarm spam, the hardened ward gets stacked with dampen magic.

It seems some sort of damage shield is a must unless your with a group with good healing.
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »
    Extra question, anyone can answer (I might make a poll about this later): would you agree that ZOS needs to do more to make these builds more viable in PvP, and if so, how do you think they could accomplish this?

I don't think ZOS needs to make "pure DPS" more viable in PvP.
    In PvP, you always need to balance offense and defense right for your playstyle. A "pure DPS" build is naturally very limited.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »

In PvP, you always need to balance offense and defense right for your playstyle. A "pure DPS" build is naturally very limited.

Yes, but you can have defense outside the "healer" playstyle, or atleast you should in a diverse RPG, and bear in mind that diversity would benefit everyone, when you'd have to adapt to different situations than someone countering your offense with heals/dmg shields.
    This would make the gameplay more interesting, wouldn't you agree?
  • Sypher
    Sypher
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes, but you can have defense outside the "healer" playstyle, or atleast you should in a diverse RPG, and bear in mind that diversity would benefit everyone, when you'd have to adapt to different situations than someone countering your offense with heals/dmg shields.

Agreed, there's nothing wrong about everyone running a heal or a heal+shield. If you chose not to run either, hopefully you're really tanky or sneaky, or have a support player backing you up.
    DC Dragonknight 'Sypher - AD Nightblade Sypher Ali - AD Sorcerer Sypher Sensei - EP Sorcerer Sypharian - DC Templar Ali Sypher

Youtube: www.youtube.com/SypherPK
    Twitch: www.twitch.tv/SypherPK
  • Workerdroid7
    Workerdroid7
    ✭✭✭
    As a stamina-based NB my options are fairly limited with respect to these choices. I could use Swallow Soul as a heal, but I'm currently using Dark Cloak instead since Swallow Soul doesn't come close to saving my life... and the Dark cloak occasionally does.
  • Aeratus
    Aeratus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I slot these on NB: Healing ward (counts as damage shield I guess), sap essence, mutagen, funnel health
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sypher wrote: »

Agreed, there's nothing wrong about everyone running a heal or a heal+shield. If you chose not to run either, hopefully you're really tanky or sneaky, or have a support player backing you up.

These are two ways of giving players more alternative ways of defense, without tinkering with the dmg shields/heals.

Tanky

Sadly there aren't any physical "tanking" skills that reduce your damage taken significantly enough, that they'd be valid alternatives to the more magic focused skills (heals/dmg shields). Maybe Champion System will accomplish something here, remains to be seen (and hopefully tested in PTS).

Sneaky

I've put a lot of thought to it, and there aren't really many ways to restealth after engaging your opponent, leaving this method very unreliable.

Restealth mechanic works the following way:
    • You can restealth after killing an opponent, if you aren't in anyone's detection range (or taking direct damage)
    • Sometimes (rarely) after only hitting your opponent and not being in his/her detection radius.
    • Bugs out often, leaving you unable to restealth for long periods. Happens especially after being instantly spotted by flag NPCs (or Mages).

This, combined with the fact that NB Cloak breaks from pretty much everything and lack of skills that would synergize well with stealth, makes stealth based defense impossible to achieve.
    There is a way for ZOS to make it work imo, but it'd require a big revamp of the stealth system.
  • Jaerlach
    Jaerlach
    ✭✭✭

The presence of heals and shields has more to do with the variable nature of PVP and the quantity of players involved.

Being a pure DPS means you';re dependent on other players for sustainability, and while that might be situationally possible (it certainly is in PVE, where the healer can focus on keeping others alive), in PVP you're simply able to be targetted by too many other players, those players are intelligent, and its too easy to interrupt the healer if you are completely depedent on them.

That's why tanky builds of all kinds are most prevelent in Cyrodiil. It would be great to be a glass-cannon dps build and blow people up, but as soon as people notice, they will just blow you up. The pvp environment is too big and chaotic to create static roles like healer and DPS and have it succeed. It's not a problem with the system - it just encourages well-rounded, diverse characters who can cope with more than one situation. Anything extreme (extreme dps, extreme tanky with no dps, extreme heals with no dps) is pretty bad.

There's nothing ZOS can do to change that - its the inevitable result of the fact that there are so many people.
    Jaerlach Kesepton (DK)
    The 7th Vanguard
    DC - NA first SO speed run & first Hardmode Speedrun
    NA Record Vet DSA: 11519