The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Random FPS drop

TGiordano92
TGiordano92
✭✭✭
Anyone else's FPS randomly dropping by like 10+fps for no reason what so ever? Causes game to stutter in the process.
  • Louis
    Louis
    ✭✭✭
    not me
    alot of people look at this signature, i guess youre one of them.
  • TGiordano92
    TGiordano92
    ✭✭✭
    So annoying..
  • Louis
    Louis
    ✭✭✭
    well its really vague on our point of view how your fps is dropping, it could be a number of things,well did you use to get good fps? or did you start getting bad fps after this patch?
  • TGiordano92
    TGiordano92
    ✭✭✭
    FPS was a lot better before this patch, Still had stuttering, which I have contacted support about and did all their troubleshooting and still waiting for a reply from them. But the stuttering has gotten a lot worse after this patch. Was only dropping like 3fps randomly which would hitch the game, now its dropping like 20fps at a time. I just did a fresh install of windows on a brand new SSD to try and fix the stuttering, obviously no luck.
  • Louis
    Louis
    ✭✭✭
    probably cause they added in some new things which would cause the lag, well sorry to hear about your fps problem i used to have them and it was really frustrating up until i just decided to upgraded

hope yours gets sorted out
  • TGiordano92
    TGiordano92
    ✭✭✭
    Wish upgrading would solve my problem. Have a 780ti and i7-4790 with 16GB of ram.. this shouldn't be a problem.
  • nalimoleb14_ESO
    nalimoleb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, I used to play ESO on max settings, smooth as butter. GTX 680 SLI i7-3840QM and 16 gigs of RAM. I don't know whether it's this patch or one of the smaller patches before but my screen has been stuttering and my FPS plummeted.
  • nalimoleb14_ESO
    nalimoleb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    And to whoever LOL'd at my comment - thanks, I got a new badge. :b
  • TGiordano92
    TGiordano92
    ✭✭✭
    It is true, it sucks....:(
  • C3N50R3D
    C3N50R3D
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. Stutter for months. Worse with the new patch. Less stutter but lower FPS if SLI is off. Problem may be suboptimal use of CPU multi threading. NVidia said ESO is heavily CPU bound. See my other post in this thread http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/133255/help-with-fps-680-sli
    Edited by C3N50R3D on November 19, 2014 12:10AM
  • TGiordano92
    TGiordano92
    ✭✭✭
    Still not fixed
  • Beesting
    Beesting
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had 2 between 45 to 60 sec screen freezes in coh dungeon yesterday, guess that is below 0 fps.... After being kicked to the loading screen twice it picked up again...
    Beesting, Bosmer Magica DK, AD EU, crafter
    Slager, Dunmer Magica DK, DC EU, pvp
    Farmer, Dunmer Magica DK, AD EU, trials build

Every major patch looks like the end of the world but somehow i just cannot stop playing.
  • B_lov3d
    B_lov3d
    ✭✭
    I get fps drop alot and I wish they'd do something about it cause the things that cause the worst stuttering and fps related crashes for me are the stupid things.

Turning around = crash.
    Enter alchemy building = crash.
    Bring up the skill list = crash.
    Massive 7000 ping battle with all three factions batpulse blobbing = no crash but scrollback? ***? Lol.
    My horse can fall off a cliff and then race to the other side of Cyrodil with his mangled legs.....but he cannot defeat the face of a mudcrab, a small rock, and occasionally has problems with stairs. -_-
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no running 45-60
  • C3N50R3D
    C3N50R3D
    ✭✭✭
    NVidia forum post copied below. FPS Freezes/drops may be due to drivers and constant stutter may be due to SLI profile broken with game patch.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/790103/geforce-drivers/-official-nvidia-344-75-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-11-18-14-/28/

".....Before Bruce Dawson quit working (or got fired) at Valve he was trying to help diagnose performance issues so they may work on a fix or work with Nvidia on a fix. He had me run Vtrace and this was the verdict:

Hey Kenneth,

I don’t have a smoking gun for you, but I have some information. The biggest thing that causes framerate drops is when the NVIDIA driver in the system process wakes up twice a second. This blocks TF2, for some reason, for about 30 ms. In the screen shot below the blue diamonds are frame boundaries, the green line is TF2 CPU usage, and the three blue spikes are NVIDIA’s driver in the system process:

The big gaps in the frame boundaries whenever the system process wakes up are quite obvious, and this pattern keeps repeating. Outside of this you mostly maintain a steady 100+ fps.

I’m going to talk to NVIDIA about this as it seems peculiar. It’s possible that a quad-core machine or mat_queue_mode 0 would solve this, but I don’t know.

Can you record a trace with mat_queue_mode 0 so that I can compare? It might be useful for bringing up this issue with NVIDIA. I have not seen this particular pattern in other traces – PC performance is a very tricky issue because there are so many variables.

It’s probably also worth upgrading your driver before sending in a new trace. Your current driver is ~3 months old.

Don’t worry about audiodg.exe. It’s good that you noticed its CPU usage, but it is totally normal.

Could the shown trace information be the micro stuttering many nVIDIA forum members claim to be nVIDIA driver related?"
  • Janduin
    Janduin
    ✭✭
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/74932/quick-fix-for-fps-stuttering

This helped me. It was an audio device problem. Disable all but one controller as they conflict in-game.
    Janzgrimr - V4 DK -Ebonheart Pact
    Janzig - V4 NB -Ebonheart Pact
    Abdul al-Hazred - LvL 40 Sorceror - Ebonheart Pact
    Jandero - LvL 46 Sorceror - Aldmeri Dominion
    Jagurtha -LvL38 DK - Daggerfall Covenent
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure which Audio one is my main. I think its Realtek but not sure. How do I find out?
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure which Audio one is my main. I think its Realtek but not sure. How do I find out?
    If you speakers are just plugged in to your motherboard then just check your motherboard info for the name. My motherboard audio is realtek but I also use the NVIDIA HD output from my vide card to my 5.1 system in my living room.
  • TGiordano92
    TGiordano92
    ✭✭✭
    disabling audio doesnt help me sadly.
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just tried and frames didn't get any better. Mine doesn't actually dip they just went down after 1.3. I used to get 100 frames now I get 35-45.
  • Janduin
    Janduin
    ✭✭
    Think you have to reboot after the disable. Dunno, but this was the fix that worked for me for FPS fluctuation. Overall lower FPS is separate.
    Janzgrimr - V4 DK -Ebonheart Pact
    Janzig - V4 NB -Ebonheart Pact
    Abdul al-Hazred - LvL 40 Sorceror - Ebonheart Pact
    Jandero - LvL 46 Sorceror - Aldmeri Dominion
    Jagurtha -LvL38 DK - Daggerfall Covenent
  • TGiordano92
    TGiordano92
    ✭✭✭
    So annoying for me....Grrrr
  • C3N50R3D
    C3N50R3D
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the link. My other audio was already disabled in bios and Windows and I still get the constant stutter using SLI with NVidia Surround. My stutter is a constant microstutter not so much hitching or freezing every few seconds which some people have. I have vsync on and prerender frames set to 1. I also capped FPS at 60 with NVidia Inspector. Not all games have this stutter. I notice it mostly in games where a patch has broken the NVidia SLI profile. I will probably take a break from ESO and may check in after the next patch or NVidia driver update to see if it is fixed.
  • Leeric
    Leeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    I get it as well. What is really weird is logging out and back in fixes it for a short time for me.
  • Leeric
    Leeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    C3N50R3D wrote: »
    Thank you for the link. My other audio was already disabled in bios and Windows and I still get the constant stutter using SLI with NVidia Surround. My stutter is a constant microstutter not so much hitching or freezing every few seconds which some people have. I have vsync on and prerender frames set to 1. I also capped FPS at 60 with NVidia Inspector. Not all games have this stutter. I notice it mostly in games where a patch has broken the NVidia SLI profile. I will probably take a break from ESO and may check in after the next patch or NVidia driver update to see if it is fixed.

This could be part of the issue. I'm running 880ms in sli, lots of weird stuff been going on with their crappy drivers.
  • C3N50R3D
    C3N50R3D
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention my ping times are all good as verified with the included utility in the game directory. Need new SLI bits. The ones being used are the default 0x000000F5 which are the default for DX11 and don't work anymore.

Found this link which indicates some game issues with SLI.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/781582/sli/broken-pc-ports-of-games-affecting-sli-performance/
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am getting this A LOT since the last patch. :(
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK. On Friday night, my fps was 6. Saturday morning it was 63. Less than twelve hours difference on the same computer.
  • TGiordano92
    TGiordano92
    ✭✭✭
    I have limited my FPS to 30 through the usersettings.txt file (I should get constant 100) and I still get random FPS drops every 5-10 seconds. It will go from 30-23 then back to 30 and then drop to 15 then shoot back to 30. It is like I am watching a slideshow. I do not use SLI either.
  • C3N50R3D
    C3N50R3D
    ✭✭✭
    Editing this as I do more testing with SLI. Here are some things you are probably already doing but might help if not :) Google any of these for more information.
    Vsync off in game and use smooth vsync for SLI in NVidia Control Panel.
    SET GPUSmoothingFrames "1" in usersettings file. 0 doesn't seem to really set it to 0 frames. Mark your file read only or the game will reset some things.
    Delete shader cache cooked file in Live directory and let it respawn.
    FPS cap to 60 in NVidia Inspector or an even multiple of your monitor refresh rate. Sometimes 58 or 59 will cause less stutter and hitching than 60.
    OR set min frametime in usersettings to 1/refresh rate of monitor. This seems to be working better atm.
    Prefer maximum power in NVidia Control Panel global profile and ESO.exe profile. Can also add profiles for dwm.exe and explorer.exe and set them prefer max power. Sometimes this helps desktop stutter especially for windows 8 users.
    PCI-e link state power control disabled in Windows power settings.
    CPU max power in Windows power settings.
    Disable all sleep.
    Unpark your CPU cores. Google how to do this.
    Process Lasso software to mitigate ESO's unoptimized multithreading. Use game mode for the ESO.exe process. Google this for details.
    Disable CPU stepping and power savings in bios. Use S1 instead of S3.
    Windows 8 specific using elevated command window: bcdedit /set disabledynamicticks yes This disables a power saving feature that frequently causes extra latency. Reboot after setting this.
    Only install NVidia driver and Physx. Do not install GeForce experience or shadow play as the overlay can cause stutter.
    Make sure you are running no more than one overlay or just turn them all off. Afterburner, Precision X, Steam, FRAPS, Dxtory, Razer, etc. They can interfere with each other.
    Disable all addons just to test. Even though this has not solved my problem, there are some addons that add significant update lag.

Edited by C3N50R3D on December 13, 2014 5:25AM