The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Feedback Wanted: Serpent Boss in Sanctum Ophidia (Difficult Mode)

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
Hello everyone! We'd like to get some feedback from you if you've had a chance to battle against the Serpent, specifically in Difficult Mode, in Sanctum Ophidia.
  1. How many attempts have you put into fighting the Serpent in Difficult Mode?
  2. What's the lowest health you've gotten the Serpent to in Difficult Mode?
  3. How does the Serpent in Difficult Mode compare to the Serpent in Normal Mode?
  4. How happy are you with the level of difficulty of the Serpent in Difficult Mode?
  5. What is the most enjoyable part of the experience in Difficult Mode?
  6. What is the most frustrating part of the experience in Difficult Mode?

If you have any other feedback regarding the fight with the Serpent in Difficult Mode, we'd love to hear it. Thanks!
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice to know the set-ups used by each group as well (for those willing) as I worry that far too much difficulty balance in the game comes from the current FOTM builds rather than more standard array groups.

@Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    No feedback on this fight? Does everyone know how to activate Difficult Mode for the Serpent?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • rophez_ESO
    rophez_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to give you some feedback, but I'm not in giant guild, and don't know enough people capable of "hard modes" to organize a 12 person raid. Hard enough to get 4 people to try Arena hard mode.

Considering the trials are based on DPS races (why else put in a timer) they really don't fit the play style of the people I group with. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here.
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ditto
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Kyoma
    Kyoma
    ✭✭✭
    Me and my guild have recently attempted the HardMode but since it was only a quick attempt there's not alot I can comment about yet. The one thing that I do find strange is that you can activate it by burning only one flag, as opposed to the three orbs and statues in AA and Hel Ra. Meaning if someone sees the prompt and is curious what it does, he or she would be unpleasantly suprised. ;)
    Will I be able to forget all the wounds that pierce my flesh?
    You and your childish justice. I'll rip it to pieces.
    Come on, it's showtime. A rain of blood like a volcano
    And now I'll blow all of you and you and you...
    All to tiny pieces. All to tiny pieces.
  • Lord Stark
    Lord Stark
    ✭✭✭
    My wife and I also have trouble finding groups to attempt this for whatever reason.
    Has been that way with all hard modes, DSA AA HRC and OS.. either you are in an established guild group, or you are fighting an uphill battle getting into trials short of waiting around all day/night..
    I also feel as time goes on without new content.. the same issues are popping up with the normal modes.
    Lord Stark of Winterfell - VR14 Dk - NA server - Thornblade - Eminent Gaming
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No feedback on this fight? Does everyone know how to activate Difficult Mode for the Serpent?
    I don't know what the situation is on the NA server, but in EU only one single guild has managed to clear Sanctum Ophidia in normal mode.
    It's kinda hard to give feedback since I have never been past the Mantikora.
    Edited by Gyudan on November 1, 2014 12:36PM
    Wololo.
  • Kyoma
    Kyoma
    ✭✭✭
    Gyudan wrote: »
    I don't know what the situation is on the NA server, but in EU only one single guild has managed to clear Sanctum Ophidia in normal mode.
    Actually there are 3 guilds (that I know of) that have completed it, several times aswell.

Will I be able to forget all the wounds that pierce my flesh?
    You and your childish justice. I'll rip it to pieces.
    Come on, it's showtime. A rain of blood like a volcano
    And now I'll blow all of you and you and you...
    All to tiny pieces. All to tiny pieces.
  • evedgebah
    evedgebah
    ✭✭✭
    Have not been able to get Manticora down yet and make it to serpent, am in several progression raid guilds. I will be happy to provide feedback once there. Please DO NOT tone down Manticora (the Serpent's Shadow fix is great, and just that - a much needed fix).
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kyoma wrote: »
    Gyudan wrote: »
    Actually there are 3 guilds (that I know of) that have completed it, several times aswell.

Well, all of them are bananas so I wouldn't know. Nerf Ayrenn! :grin:
    Wololo.
  • General_Kefka
    General_Kefka
    ✭✭
    We just finally killed Serpent Normal Mode on NA, only once did we attempt hardmode and it was due to someone accidently burning 1 banner. Needless to say we promptly got owned on the 1st new mechanic we saw and chose to get normal under our belt 1st.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    This is all good, fair feedback. Thanks for the insight, everyone! Keep it coming.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • B11zzard
    B11zzard
    ✭✭
    We will start from 1.5 because 72 souls.
    Zard- V14 Templar - EU - IddQd

Sanctum Ophidia - First EU kill
  • BEZDNA
    BEZDNA
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know it may sound a bit silly, cause i haven't finished heaven normal mode of SO (still practicing last boss) but according to my previous experience in Difficult Modes at AA, HRC and DSA wich i finished several times i can say one thing for sure - For heaven's sake! IMPROVE LOOT! It's extremely frustrating when after finishing difficulty mode the reward for all effort, time and gold invested by members of the group are absolutely unrewarding! Ppl feel sad and they have no intention to repeat this challenge again.
    Edited by BEZDNA on November 3, 2014 9:21AM
  • TagaParti
    TagaParti
    ✭✭✭✭
    The truth is, players like me and my friend who runs solo or duo only and not in a large organized guild wont even bother to try this content. So for now, we are just waiting for the Solo zone, at least everything there can is soloable. Hope so.
    Sheliza "The Unkillable"

Facebook Page for the Tournaments
    Elder Scrolls Online Tournaments
    Please search and hit Like to see future post and updates for the events
    youtube channel: tagaparti
  • VileIntent
    VileIntent
    ✭✭✭✭
    BEZDNA wrote: »
    I know it may sound a bit silly, cause i haven't finished heaven normal mode of SO (still practicing last boss) but according to my previous experience in Difficult Modes at AA, HRC and DSA wich i finished several times i can say one thing for sure - For heaven's sake! IMPROVE LOOT! It's extremely frustrating when after finishing difficulty mode the reward for all effort, time and gold invested by members of the group are absolutely unrewarding! Ppl feel sad and they have no intention to repeat this challenge again.

All hard mode loot should be guaranteed legendary loot drops to promote progression. no random pos item either should always be a set item.
    I stay broke buying potions to run trials, I should see something for the money im pumping out.
    Edited by VileIntent on November 5, 2014 4:30AM
  • killedbyping
    killedbyping
    ✭✭✭✭
    VileIntent wrote: »

All hard mode loot should be guaranteed legendary loot drops to promote progression. no random pos item either should always be a set item.
    I stay broke buying potions to run trials, I should see something for the money im pumping out.

I dont think it should guarantee any legendary drop. What would Legendary mats and crafters worth then ?

I think those items should come with increased Set bonuses instead along side with improved enchants.
  • VileIntent
    VileIntent
    ✭✭✭✭

I dont think it should guarantee any legendary drop. What would Legendary mats and crafters worth then ?

I think those items should come with increased Set bonuses instead along side with improved enchants.

To reward you is why. shouldn't all ways need a crafter. those things get expensive and I'm dumping cash just to do the hard mode. I don't want to have to pay to improve my hard earned reward. its hard mode ffs reward us.
  • Arandul
    Arandul
    ✭✭

To reward you is why. shouldn't all ways need a crafter. those things get expensive and I'm dumping cash just to do the hard mode. I don't want to have to pay to improve my hard earned reward. its hard mode ffs reward us.

All of the equipment that drops is bind on pickup anyways, so either way crafters wouldn't be very useful. Normal Serpent is hard enough to kill, so I'm in agreement that there should be legendary drops for anyone able to kill with the HM mechanic.

That aside, I think the normal mode mechanic is incredibly annoying when you get the Serpent to 0%, It will be almost impossible to survive for inexperienced groups, and cause further frustration and discouragement to these groups, severely limiting the amount of people willing to even try to get the Serpent to 0% just to see if they hopefully survive this time. In-fact, it's because of this, and not having it down to a point where we can clear every single time that I haven't even bothered to attempt HM.
    Lrn 2 Play | Welkynd | BBC
    Arandul:v16 Sorc EP, Malpurius Prentanian:v16 DK EP, Little Bow Deeps:v16 NB EP
    Duckface Twerk:V16 DK DC Bootybootybuttcheeks:New Templar!
  • Cutholen
    Cutholen
    ✭✭✭
    Arandul wrote: »
    That aside, I think the normal mode mechanic is incredibly annoying when you get the Serpent to 0%, It will be almost impossible to survive for inexperienced groups, and cause further frustration and discouragement to these groups, severely limiting the amount of people willing to even try to get the Serpent to 0% just to see if they hopefully survive this time. In-fact, it's because of this, and not having it down to a point where we can clear every single time that I haven't even bothered to attempt HM.

The first time you encounter that mechanic, you will probably wipe, yes. But every try after that and you know what is comming, we never had really much troube to survive this phase. It's quite annoying the first time you are right, but after that it's working okay. The Serpent trys to finish us with his last breath, i like that lore wise.
    "He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.” - Geoge Orwell, 1984

Tank / RP-DD

[Beyond Infinity
    vAA HM - vHR HM - vMol HM - vHof HM - vAS+2 - vCR+3 - vSS HM
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, 99% of the player base has never completed a single Trial. For the 1% that have done a Trial, more than half of those have only run AA. I don't know why people never run Hel Ra. However, Sanctum is definitely the hardest, and it is only run by very, very few groups (most of which have practiced on it for weeks). That's probably why you are not getting much feedback.
  • eserras7b16_ESO
    eserras7b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    My guild started Trials 3 weeks ago, I hope we finish Hel-Ra by this week and then i'll tell you how Sactum Ophidia goes..!
    Eptackt - Argonian Templar
    Belegrand - Redguard Nightblade
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We may give it a shot this weekend and post here thoughts about it.
    Edited by TehMagnus on November 27, 2014 2:27PM
  • Fecius
    Fecius
    ✭✭✭
    Killed normal mode at last being 2nd guild in Pact after Hodor. We wanna take a look at HM, but as i know it's:

1. 1kk more HP for boss.
    2. x2 HP for Adds
    3. Some kind of ani-stack rays of "love".

So, i belive, we need to improve our group setup and get 30% of raid DPS somehow. Hope we'll manage it, after i'll try not ot forget about this thread.
    - Looking for Progress PvE Guild!
    - Ex Ætherius Eight / Ætherius Raid PC EU
    - World First Sanctum Ophidia Difficult Mode (1.5.8 at January 21, 2015)

- PvE Dunmer Magicka Sorcerer
    - YouTube

- Under sun and sky Outlander, we greet you warmly!
    - Под этим Солнцем и небом мы тепло приветствуем тебя!
  • osaceeub17_ESO
    osaceeub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure this is the right place to post these comments, but I cannot find a better spot.

I would like the developers of ESO to consider the long term big picture.

Now that you have scaled up the difficulty level of the Vet dungeons, I am concerned that you will lose your less hard core players. I understand the people that have the need to beat everything, to be the best, to be number one. These hard core people will be with you as long as they can work up a sweat in a dungeon. But when the newness and challenge wear off they will go to the next new game. Well-- unless ESO keeps raising the the bar more and more. Leaving the everyday players further and further behind.

It is very hard for most players to get into the 12 man instances. Most guilds have there chosen few that run together all the time. Even if should you get into a group, you will most likely get told how you are not playing your toon correctly, or how your equipment is inadequate. I realize you have no control over the players themselves, but I know you can develop dungeons that give similar achievement for smaller groups..ones that you do not have to be a "star" to complete.

12 man teams are a logistical nightmare for the majority of players. It is very difficult to fill out a squad, often a lot of time is wasted waiting for people, or if someone has to leave, you then have to find a another player that is willing to run the dungeon and not get credit.

I would like to see that changed-- four man dungeons are usually manageable. Anything larger than that outside of cyrodiil and PVP is just frustrating for all the reasons I mentioned.

I am writing this because I have had people voice their concerns about the direction ESO is taking. Mostly they are concerned when they hit craglorn the game is pretty much over for them. They will have no where to go. Of greater concern, is the continued upscaling of dungeons to keep the MMO one %ers happy, forgetting about the other 99% of the players.

What about the players that just like to explore, run four man dungeons or solo dungeons? What is the long term plans for "ordinary players"? The ones that like to craft, farm and make nice equipment. Those that pay six months in advance because they believe you will return to the soul of the games you developed (Morrowind, Elders Scrolls, Skyrim).

I played another MMO for 7 years. I brought many people to this game when i left, but they have now all gone back. Mostly because of the changes that have incorporated. "It was more fun." "It is less frustrating." were just some of the comments. That is what people want--fun, a sense of accomplishment, rewards that are useable (not like the style traits we get in our mail that we can buy from any Black smith, clotheir or wood crafter--you should never send something to a player as a reward/prize that they can buy at a vendor). (Don't get me started on the writs and there cost benefit ratio--but that is just a personal note).

There are many things i would like to see changed, but i believe this is the number one concern of myself and most of the folks I have spoken with. They love ESO, they have waited a long time for it to become and MMO. Please do not forget about us.

osa

Edited by osaceeub17_ESO on December 3, 2014 5:06AM
  • Fecius
    Fecius
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, now we saw the Hard Mode. We have some ideas for the strategy but we desided to spend a bit more time in Serpent Normal Mode to get some staff and practice.

Here is the short video of our 1st look at the Serpent in HM:

http://www.twitch.tv/fecius/c/5621216

As for our feelings:

1. We are rly far from kill =))))
    2. I like this epic new boss skill. It looks beautiful, it calls greate World Shaper, and it makes all fight with boss somthing different. And omg it's every 20-30 sec! And even small green missiles can kill with 2700+ dmg unblocked.
    3. We want to kill em from now on!

- YouTube

• timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, we actually tried hard mode a few times, so I can actually give feedback on difficult mode as the thread requests.

It's not that bad, but things do get really chaotic. Give World Shaper(The AoE Poison Bomb) a smaller radius(decrease it by about 20-40%.) Increase the time it takes to go up in the air and come down by 15-20%.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Fecius
    Fecius
    ✭✭✭
    It's not that bad, but things do get really chaotic. Give World Shaper(The AoE Poison Bomb) a smaller radius(decrease it by about 20-40%.) Increase the time it takes to go up in the air and come down by 15-20%.

I'm sure this will kill Hard Mode as Hard Mode. In this case every sleepy player can get out this coolest void in this game just walking around. The case is that it's not easy but possible and u can do this if u run with Shift and in time or at least Rolldodge.

World Shaper is Epic! I wish it stay Epic.
    Edited by Fecius on December 24, 2014 7:15AM

- YouTube

• Fecius
    Fecius
    ✭✭✭
    Now, after trying a bit I can say that it's possible to kill. Ofc, we have some problems yet that stop us. Like some kind of mess cause of World Shaper and sometimes 50% Mantikora starting her slams if something goes wrong. But twice we managed to survive till Boom-phase with pink shields. I guess we left about 83% of his HP as our best try, but i'm sure, that a bit more practice will help us.

I'm afraid of a little problem in DPS, cause we need even much more of it: we have to find the way to kill 2 Mantikoras after 3d Boom-phase or kill Serpent for that time as we do it in normal mode.

Some tips:
    1. Boss has for about a 4,5kk HP.
    2. Mantikora is about 200k HP.
    3. There are two World Shapers every micro phase and one in phase right after the BigBoom, so it's 9 Shapers for a big phase from one Boom to another.
    4. World Shaper deals true dmg that u can't resist or low with any abilities (we tried to use all save abilties in the game, but it still hits 10k HP).
    5. Green missiles can be blocked or u can use annulment.
    Edited by Fecius on December 24, 2014 9:22AM

- YouTube